DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-17, 08:45 AM   #951
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The all-inclusive 2016-17 football/futbal/fußball/voetbal/calcio/soccer thread

Richard Conway
BBC Radio 5 live sports news correspondent
Posted at
7:28

Having secured the World Cup in 2022, Doha sees PSG as one of the ways through which the state can achieve its ambitions.

Uefa's Financial Fair Play regulations have certainly tempered PSG's elaborate spending in recent seasons, and Neymar's arrival would represent a serious challenge to the club in this respect - but there's confidence within PSG's boardroom that it will not be a significant issue.

Ultimately this deal will not be judged in the governmental salons of Doha nor on a spreadsheet. Instead, success must be delivered through PSG capturing arguably the club game's greatest trophy, the Champions League.

Old 08-02-17, 08:50 AM   #952
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The all-inclusive 2016-17 football/futbal/fußball/voetbal/calcio/soccer thread

Old 08-02-17, 09:50 AM   #953
DVD Talk Legend

Barca can finally solidify their back end and midfield with that 222 million Euro bounty. Neymar will be missed but they still have Messi and Suarez.

Old 08-02-17, 07:47 PM   #954
DVD Talk Legend

Don't understand leaving Barca at the age of 25 to head to a French League club.

Nice to see all 3 TFC players in the starting lineup tonight vs Real.

PSN tag: spacemunky49

Old 08-03-17, 09:24 AM   #955
DVD Talk Hero

La Liga denied PSG's check.

Old 08-03-17, 07:12 PM   #956
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
La Liga denied PSG's check.
That didn't work.

It's official.

Old 08-04-17, 06:58 AM   #957
DVD Talk Legend

We got Hoffenheim for the CL playoff.

Old 08-05-17, 09:35 AM   #958
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Barca can finally solidify their back end and midfield with that 222 million Euro bounty. Neymar will be missed but they still have Messi and Suarez.
Won't happen. Barca is going to f this up for sure.

My guess is they will spend 120+ on Coutinho who will do well but ultimately not be great. They should be able to get Inigo from Sociedad for 32m (buy out) and while I am not a fan of his Paulinho for 40m (buy out). I am not sure Coutinho or Paulinho would come to Barca now that Neymar is gone so that could be an issue.

Those 3 will help but MF will still suffer and the back line is still an issue. I like Umtitti but he is still mistake prone. Pique's 1v1 has gotten worse and he seems switched off these days. He is actually better going forward than defending. Alba has been a bit of trainwreck for sometime now as well. He always had speed to make up for his defensive issues but now that seems to have gone from him. And RB as we all know is a complete clusterf**k.

MF is a damn mess - I love me some Iniesta (my favorite player) but he is beat up and he is just not the player he used to be. Rakitic works hard but has no pace and lately seems to give the ball up to much. With the lack of trust shown to him by Enrique last year I am not sure his heart is in Barca anymore. Busquets passing and tactics have always been his strength but that seems to be waning on him as well. Not saying he is done but he needs to get that sharpness back. Turan I have never been a big fan of. Let him have the Copa games fine but other than that ehh. Roberto thought he might be the future but the kid keeps getting moved all over the place and cannot seem to get a foot hold anywhere, who knows. Rafinha is way too inconsistent but with regular mins AND faith from the staff he could work out but he is no Iniesta, Xavi, or Busquets. This new young kid Alena I think shows real promise. He has some skill and a big engine but lacks that fine technical ability that the Barca way uses. He could work out great but needs a lot more experience.

Look I like Coutinho a lot and would be happy to have him at Barca (would hurt my Reds though). He could flourish in the less physical La Liga and I can see him swooping in from the left with that trademark 25 yard + bomb of his and scoring a bunch of goals. Just have to hope he can lockdown defensively enough and more importantly stay healthy.

Wouldn't mind Barca getting Dembele from Dortmund either (would hurt another of my fav teams, lol). This kid has pace, talent, and skill but is often out of control and not disciplined enough. Can Barca help with this, yep and its why he would be good for them down the line but might hurt them for the moment. One note about this move would be that Pulisic might then be in the starting 11 more often for Dortmund so that is a win for the US.

I am going to say it now I DO NOT want Mbappe. If he can come over for maybe 80-100 mil perhaps but its going to take Neymar $$ for him to move and no offense to the kid but one season does not put you on that level.

I am not a Verrati guy but this is the kind of player they need in MF but no way he leaves now. Barca's MF has not bite, hell they have no bark either and this guy would give them that bark and bite. Not sure who else around could do that.

If I was spending the dough here are my picks:

Coutinho - probably 100-120 (still too much)
Dembele - 50-60 maybe - correction here seems Dortmund wants 100 mil for him (too much as well)
Inigo - 32
Paulinho - 40

Some other defender not sure who else is out there that is worth it and would fit into Barca though.

I would definitely sell Vermaelen & Gomes. I am not as down on Digne and D. Suarez as others are but they are probably not the future either.

Alcacer is probably an ok backup for Suarez but he needs to get his crap together asap. Delofeu is an interesting deal. He could be a surprise boost to the team or a complete waste. He got some much needed experience and should be a better now but I have to wonder if he is happy about being back or not.

Just my rantings for now.

Last edited by GCS; 08-05-17 at 12:26 PM.

Old 08-05-17, 11:20 AM   #959
DVD Talk Legend

I signed up for iFollow so I can watch Notts County play this season.

$190(Cdn) for the season.

Not off to a good start with a 3-0 loss at Coventry today.

Video is okay. Single camera and no commentary for the opener.

Hoping I won't regret this purchase

Old 08-05-17, 09:35 PM   #960
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised it took this long for this to happen with VAR:

Quote:
Feyenoord triumphs in Dutch Super Cup despite VAR controversy

After Vitesse midfielder Karim El Ahmadi appeared to be fouled in the box by Feyenoord's Tim Matavz, the referee waved play on and allowed the reigning Eredivisie champions to counter-attack and seemingly score themselves through Nicolai Jorgensen.

Referee Danny Makkelie then sought clarification from the VAR and, after almost a minute's worth of consultation, finally awarded Vitesse a penalty, ruling out Feyenoord's goal. Vitesse then drew level from the spot.
I had wondered what would happen if a significant event occurred after an earlier event that gets reversed. Wiping out a goal is one thing, but what if a red card is issued during the continuing run of play? Say a red-card penalty is awarded and then they go back to the earlier missed penalty...no red card, no penalty?

Old 08-05-17, 10:59 PM   #961
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Don't understand leaving Barca at the age of 25 to head to a French League club.
Exactly.

Old 08-08-17, 12:27 PM   #962
DVD Talk Hero

Phil is supposedly heading to Barcelona for £81.6m. Could rise to £108.8m (yeah right).

Old 08-08-17, 01:43 PM   #963
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Phil is supposedly heading to Barcelona for £81.6m. Could rise to £108.8m (yeah right).

Hate to see that if it does happen.

Won't have any hard feeling towards him though.

Old 08-09-17, 06:28 AM   #964
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Hate to see that if it does happen.

Won't have any hard feeling towards him though.
Of course not.

He's from South America - they tend to head towards the western Mediterranean.

Old 08-09-17, 11:01 AM   #965
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mixed feelings for me. Barca and an LP fan. Not sure if this is a win or a loss. Of course none of it matters if this deal doesn't happen which I can see it not happening as much as I can see it happening.

While I like Coutinho I don't think he is worth 90 mil +, 50-60 maybe. Of course this out of control transfer market and the fact that Barca has a stockpile of money means they get to overpay for anyone and everyone.

Even if this deal goes through it doesn't give Barca the bite I feel it needs in MF. Would still like like to see Dembele come to Barca too.

Old 08-09-17, 12:16 PM   #966
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Phil is going nowhere!!!!

the PL Teams now have Sleeve Sponsors.

Old 08-09-17, 07:54 PM   #967
DVD Talk Legend

Not a fan of the sleeve sponsor.

Eventually it'll be like Euro hockey, or Nascar.

Four top lads there though.

Old 08-10-17, 09:43 AM   #968
DVD Talk Hero

What is this - Mexico?

Blah.

Old 08-10-17, 10:38 AM   #969
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
This is the new Red Star FC home football shirt by Adidas.

Earlier this week VICE and Red Star football club, relegated from Ligue 2, sealed a shirt sponsorship deal based on "common values".

Old 08-10-17, 12:31 PM   #970
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Not a fan of the sleeve sponsor.

Eventually it'll be like Euro hockey, or Nascar.

Four top lads there though.

It's all about the $$$. Who gives a damn how bad/good it looks. Just pay them the money. Waiting for the NBA and NFL to do this as it is a HUGE revenue source for team owners. Hell the naming rights for stadiums are off the charts so why not uniforms.

Barca - well as usual the transfer rumor mill is all over the place (no surprise) and it seems the 100 mil + offered for Coutinho isn't working nor is whatever they offered Dortmund for Dembele which I am sure was not 100mil as Dortmund wants.

At this point 1 of 2 things is going to probably happen. Barca gets no one for now and maybe picks off a veteran player (perhaps a striker) on the winter break and they end up with a poor CL season but still finish top 4 of La Liga and stay in the CL. Then they spend like mad next summer and overhaul the team.

OR

They buy at least one or 2 players that they WAY OVERSPEND on and blow all the Neymar money and the players while good end up not working out. I would imagine if they throw 100mil at Dortmund for Dembele and 150 mil at LP for Coutinho they will get both. Neither player is worth those fees ... period but Barca fans will be wanting the board's heads on a pike if they don't make a big splash now. Basically that means overpaying by a lot no matter what.

Other rumors are that Dembele no showed at practice this week so Dortmund would let him go. All they did was suspend him and fine him. Truthfully I don't buy this story but whatever. I do feel it is more likely that Barca can get Dembele vs Coutinho. I think Dortmund would let him go for 100 mil as Pulisic can be slotted into that role. Is that where he is best suited, maybe. Plus Dortmund only paid 15 mil for him so selling for 100 mil is a nice piece of business for them.

Who knows this whole thing is a mess and as a Barca fan I hope they do something but don't want to waste the money. It was dumb for Neymar's BOC not to be 500mil but if he wanted to leave no matter what I am not sure it would have mattered.

Old 08-10-17, 01:05 PM   #971
DVD Talk Legend

Nippert Stadium has sold out for FC Cincinnati's Open Cup Semifinal match against NY Red Bulls next Tuesday. Stadium holds 32K when configured for soccer (40K normally) - team and UC officials are rumored to be discussing options to open up the remaining seats. Winner of FCC-NYRB will travel to play Sporting KC, who beat San Jose on pks in the other Semifinal.

FCC (USL - Tier II) is the first non-MLS side to advance this far since the Richmond Kickers (USL Pro - Tier III) in 2011 and are vying to become the first non-MLS finalist since 2008's Charleston Battery (USL-1 - Tier II).

I was hoping to go, but the ticketing system was overwhelmed and crashed... I'm hoping now that they release the upper-upper seats. FCC's average attendance for regular season USL games (20,163) is better than half of MLS right now, slotting them between 11th NYRB (20,184) and 12th Minnesota (20,134).

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-10-17 at 01:10 PM.

Old 08-10-17, 01:40 PM   #972
DVD Talk Legend

That's a nice looking stadium. Looks like it would be a good atmosphere with the crowd in tight to the pitch.

Shocking to me how well the sport is supported there. Given most of the people I "know" from there say they hate it

Closed Thread