August 5-21
306 Events
207 Nations Competing in 28 Sports

And lots of poop in the water.

Discuss!
Old 07-05-16, 12:09 PM   #2
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio

Don't think we should send our US team. Not because of health reason but security is a real concern. Don't want another Munich tragedy again.
Old 07-05-16, 12:24 PM   #3
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
Don't think we should send our US team. Not because of health reason but security is a real concern. Don't want another Munich tragedy again.
Why is security a concern ? I spent 10 days in Rio in March. Never felt unsafe in the least, and we walked all over the city. I live in Chicago where in June we had more shootings than LA and New York COMBINED. The team's probably safer in Brazil.
Old 07-05-16, 12:34 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

^ agreed. Frankly, I would be more worried about safety/security had Chicago won the 2016 bid.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 07-05-16 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-05-16, 12:35 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

Track and Field is my favorite Olympics sport. I've followed it pretty actively since the '88 games. I've been kind of following the trials in Oregon and so far most of the key players from 2012 including Alyson Felix have qualified. I am surprised that Justin Gatlin is back in the 100M. He's 34, which is normally over the hill for track, and is coming off a 4 year doping suspension. That's already kind of tainted his legacy.

I hope the U.S. can finally do good in the 4X100M relay (specifically Men) They've been terrible in that event in the last few Olympics and the Jamaicans have dominated it.

It's going to be almost impossible for me to watch some of the day time coverage because of work, but I'll try to watch some of the Primetime coverage.

Since Rio is only 4 hours ahead of the West coast, that should help with more live coverage I would assume (probably more on the East though)
Old 07-05-16, 12:42 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

^I hate the relay--so frustrating to watch the U.S. find ways to screw it up.

But I love the Olympics. Yesterday I was wondering when they started and looked it up. Should've just waited for this thread.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-05-16, 12:42 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

I'm probably going to start a pool so folks with marginal rooting interest (or with rooting interest that doesn't extend beyond U!S!A! U!S!A!) will have some reason to follow the games.
Old 07-05-16, 12:55 PM   #8
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

nbc calendar/schedule has 34 sports
http://www.nbcolympics.com/full-schedule
Old 07-05-16, 12:59 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN View Post
nbc calendar/schedule has 34 sports
http://www.nbcolympics.com/full-schedule
Thanks for that link.

Wikipedia must've ignored "sports" such as Rhythmic Gymnastics, Synchronized Diving, and Equestrian Trampoline Rhythmic Dressage in their count.
Old 07-05-16, 01:47 PM   #10
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dong Dong
Old 07-05-16, 03:53 PM   #11
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
Why is security a concern ? I spent 10 days in Rio in March. Never felt unsafe in the least, and we walked all over the city. I live in Chicago where in June we had more shootings than LA and New York COMBINED. The team's probably safer in Brazil.
Probably this photo have me concerned.

Old 07-05-16, 04:22 PM   #12
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're after a pay raise. What do you expect them to say ? "Welcome to Rio, where everything will more than likely be perfectly OK" ?
Old 07-05-16, 07:03 PM   #13
DVD Talk Gold Edition

NBC Universal To Present Unprecedental 6,755 Hours Of Olympic Programing From Rio De Janerio, Brazil -
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...c-programming/

Record 170 Commentators Join NBC Olympics Coverage Of This Summers Olympic Games From Rio De Janeiro, Brazil -
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...aneiro-brazil/
Old 07-05-16, 07:04 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
They're after a pay raise. What do you expect them to say ?
Something in Portuguese, actually.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 07-05-16, 07:07 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxBandit View Post
Record 170 commentators join NBC Olympics coverage of this Summers Olympic Games from Rio De Janeiro, Brazil -
Some of those announcers will be at NBC Sports headquarters in Stamford, CT.

To save money on the less popular sports, they will just feed in clean footage of those events and put graphics and use announcers from CT to call the action. The announcers in CT will call play by play from a voice over room and will not appear on camera. They did this for sports like Bandminton, Archery and such.
Old 07-05-16, 09:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I'm probably going to start a pool so folks with marginal rooting interest (or with rooting interest that doesn't extend beyond U!S!A! U!S!A!) will have some reason to follow the games.
Will the pool include which day Bob Costas will get pink eye?
Old 07-06-16, 12:35 AM   #17

Will Usain Bolt compete?
Old 07-06-16, 01:31 AM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxBandit View Post
NBC Universal To Present Unprecedental 6,755 Hours Of Olympic Programing From Rio De Janerio, Brazil -
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...c-programming/

Record 170 Commentators Join NBC Olympics Coverage Of This Summers Olympic Games From Rio De Janeiro, Brazil -
But can the talking heads on NBC learn to shut their mouths during the opening ceremony, so viewers can listen to the music and sound effects uninterrupted?

And if they're going to air the west coast feed on delay, can they not put the best parts of the night at 11:30pm, which they always do with the gymnastics final rounds?

I'm guessing no.
Old 07-06-16, 02:14 AM   #19
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
Will Usain Bolt compete?
Hopefully. He's currently in Germany receiving treatment for a grade 1 hamstring tear:

https://twitter.com/usainbolt/status...104385/photo/1
Old 07-11-16, 01:01 AM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Track and Field is my favorite Olympics sport. I've followed it pretty actively since the '88 games. I've been kind of following the trials in Oregon and so far most of the key players from 2012 including Alyson Felix have qualified. I am surprised that Justin Gatlin is back in the 100M. He's 34, which is normally over the hill for track, and is coming off a 4 year doping suspension. That's already kind of tainted his legacy.

I hope the U.S. can finally do good in the 4X100M relay (specifically Men) They've been terrible in that event in the last few Olympics and the Jamaicans have dominated it.

It's going to be almost impossible for me to watch some of the day time coverage because of work, but I'll try to watch some of the Primetime coverage.

Since Rio is only 4 hours ahead of the West coast, that should help with more live coverage I would assume (probably more on the East though)
Felix sadly lost her bid for the 200/400 double gold today.

The big surprise this weekend was distance runner Bernard Lagat making his fifth Olympics at 41. No one saw it coming, including Lagat.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 07-11-16, 02:03 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Felix sadly lost her bid for the 200/400 double gold today.

The big surprise this weekend was distance runner Bernard Lagat making his fifth Olympics at 41. No one saw it coming, including Lagat.

Yeah I saw Allyson's race on Sunday. Disappointing that she couldn't qualify for the 200m. She was apparently struggling with an ankle injury. She missed by 0.1 seconds.

Here's her comment on FB that she just posted.

Quote:

My heart aches that I won't be able to defend my title in Rio in the 200m. It was my dream to go after the double, but I know God's plan is greater than anything I could imagine. An enormous thank you for the continued love & support. Looking forward to getting back to 100% and attacking this 400. Big congrats Tori, Deajah and Jenna!

I guess qualifying for 1 race is better than nothing. I'm a big fan of hers. Total class act.
Old 07-13-16, 08:02 AM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

Jill Ellis has named her USWNT roster for the Olympics:
Quote:

2016 U.S. Olympic Women’s Soccer Team Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars), Hope Solo (Seattle Reign FC)

DEFENDERS
(6): Whitney Engen (Boston Breakers), Julie Johnston (Chicago Red Stars), Meghan Klingenberg (Portland Thorns FC), Ali Krieger (Washington Spirit), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City)

MIDFIELDERS
(6): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign FC)

FORWARDS
(4): Crystal Dunn (Washington Spirit), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Mallory Pugh (Real Colorado)
http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2016...ns-soccer-team
Old 07-13-16, 11:13 AM   #23
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gymnast Oksana Chusovitina prepares for 7th Olympics at 41 years old

Quote:
Chusovitina will compete at her seventh Olympics when she goes to Rio de Janeiro, becoming the oldest Olympic female gymnast in history at age 41.

"I am feeling good," she said, speaking German in an interview with The Associated Press. "On the podium, everyone is the same whether you are 40 or 16. You have to go out and do your routine and your jumps.

"But it's a pity there are no points for age," she added, breaking into an easy smile.
7!
Old 07-15-16, 08:40 AM   #24
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Rio games has an interesting mascot.

Old 07-15-16, 08:54 AM   #25
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^ seems pretty tame compared to London, Turin, and...Grenoble

https://www.olympic.org/mascots