Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-17-14, 11:50 PM   #226
LaxBandit
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The August 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: SummerSlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Damn, the one time I was looking forward to the silly post-show press conference thing and they don't do it.
After Monday Night Raw ends on the USA Network, theres going to be a "Summerslam Backstage Pass" special on the WWE Network - "Revisit the historic night that was SummerSlam, including never before seen backstage footage from the biggest party of the summer!" - supposed to last 45 minutes. I'm sure they are going to have those silly-post show press conferences on that special.

Also on the WWE Network on Wednesday evening - 8:00 pm ET-9:00 pm ET - Journey to SummerSlam 2014 - "Witness the journeys of Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, and Roman Reigns - from their humble beginnings to the biggest event of the summer!" - this will be like the Daniel Bryan "Road To Wrestlemania XXX" one which was pretty awesome.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 08-17-14 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 11:56 PM   #227
Abob Teff
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First PPV on the $9.99 WWE Network which I've been able to watch in a few months (of course my son watched all of them for $9.99 each month) ... We would have seen more action by waiting to watch the still photos on Raw tomorrow (which is not $9.99). We literally had more than 40 freeze-ups, black-outs, drop-outs, etc. When we did have a picture on the $9.99 WWE network, it looked so bad I expected to see a sail boat by squinting.

Thank you for pointing out the international audience may be the cause. I'm not dropping the $9.99 network because my son certainly gets more than our $9.99 out of it each month. I know it is only $9.99 but damn, I expect better than that for just $9.99 each month.

dvdjunkie32 forgets how Otterville works: I only asked for some simple advice, not 7 pages of mockery.
Old 08-18-14, 12:33 AM   #228
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Say what you will about Cena but the guy is a company man. Need him to lose to part timers like The Rock and Lesner he will. Need him to job to much smaller guys like Punk and Bryan he will. And you never hear about him complaining or politicking in the back like Hogan or Michaels.
Old 08-18-14, 01:13 AM   #229
bluthswede6

Had a great weekend. I'm not very critical on most live shows I attend so I enjoyed most of the matches tonight. Amazed at the Brock finish, not sure where they are gonna go with it but I liked it.
Old 08-18-14, 07:05 AM   #230
stingermck
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Heyman does make a good point about the title. It is over-defended and probably doesn't have as much as much meaning as it used to. WWE just has too many regular shows and too many pay per views that I think they feel obligated to have the championship defended a bunch so instead of feeling like a big deal when there's a championship match they just end up feeling like any other match on the card.
Hollywood Hogan defended the belt 2-3 times a year and it gave him great heat, and a title match actually meant something. I'm hoping the angle is that Brock feels like there are no opponents worth of his time, thus just being part-time for awhile.
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
My Batgirl site http://batgirlarchives.8m.com/
Old 08-18-14, 09:13 AM   #231
JCWBobC

If they built up feuds that lasted more than a few weeks they could have the blow off match be the main event for a PPV instead of a title match and fans wouldn't be upset. They really need to go back to 2 hours for Raw as they have too much time to fill.
Old 08-18-14, 09:30 AM   #232
stingermck
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 08-18-14, 09:38 AM   #233
JCWBobC

pwinsider.com

After Summerslam went off the air, the Los Angeles crowd booed John Cena as he was walked to the back chanting, "Thank you Lesnar" and singing, "Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye" at the former champion.
Old 08-18-14, 09:42 AM   #234
GuessWho
DVD Talk Legend

With the belt needing the new logo, this is a perfect time to debut the revision as a single belt and stop this business of carrying two around.
Old 08-18-14, 09:52 AM   #235
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
With the belt needing the new logo, this is a perfect time to debut the revision as a single belt and stop this business of carrying two around.
I was wondering about this. If they unified the belts, why not create a new belt? Is it because they plan on splitting it again?

So I guess the hope is that Daniel Bryan is ready to make his return by Royal Rumble. Have him win the Rumble to set up a huge Wrestlemania match between him and Lesnar. That would be pretty damn cool.

But who are they going to throw at Lesnar in the meantime? Roman Reigns? Even if he doesn't defend it often he'll have to defend it at least twice before Wrestlemania, right?
Old 08-18-14, 09:53 AM   #236
Maxflier
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have been out of the wrestling game since the WCW days, but I'm trying to get back into it. I signed up for the WWE network yesterday and had no issues watching SS on my Xbone. Maybe it helped that I didn't start it until the live version was probably almost over, but I had no lag or freeze ups at all.
I was expecting the Nikki turn, but was quite shocked Cena got destroyed like that. I am used to the days when guys had to big of egos to go along with that.
I remember reading something about Hogan wanting to get back in the ring, any chance of him taking on Lesnar?
PSN:Maxflier

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
189 days 1 hours 35 minutes
Old 08-18-14, 09:55 AM   #237
Matt925
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post

But who are they going to throw at Lesnar in the meantime? Roman Reigns? Even if he doesn't defend it often he'll have to defend it at least twice before Wrestlemania, right?
Supposedly their plan is to have reigns vs Lesnar at mania. If Bryan didn't get injured Lesnar would have beaten him for the title last night. This all depends on reigns not being a flop as a main eventer though.
Old 08-18-14, 09:58 AM   #238
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

With 3 hours of Raw and 2 hours of Smackdown they should be spending more time building up the midcard and establishing tag teams. Instead we have a US Champ that doesn't even appear on the PPV and tag team champs coming off a hot feud who don't have anyone to compete against... yet we're wasting PPV time of some jerkoff who won a pizza roll contest.

On the bright side, I like the course correction they did with Paige. They botched her debut and first title run, but they managed to recover from that with this heel turn.
Old 08-18-14, 10:04 AM   #239
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt925 View Post
If Bryan didn't get injured Lesnar would have beaten him for the title last night.
Yeah, I hate to say it but maybe it's a good thing DB was injured for this. They already went a bit overboard with the underdog/B player stuff... a Brock beatdown like that would have just made him look weak, where Cena can stand to take a hit like that because he's booked so strong 99% of the time.
Old 08-18-14, 10:07 AM   #240
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt925 View Post
Supposedly their plan is to have reigns vs Lesnar at mania. If Bryan didn't get injured Lesnar would have beaten him for the title last night. This all depends on reigns not being a flop as a main eventer though.
Interesting. Thanks for clearing that up. You would think a feud between DB and Lesnar would be incredibly easy to sell and fans would be excited for it. I suppose they don't want to go that route since his health is up in the air.

I don't know about Reigns as a main eventer right now. His match last night was kind of blah. Hopefully he progresses because I do like him a lot. I think they give him Kane now. Which will be a whole lot of no fun.

At least we'll see more Ambrose vs. Rollins. I'm hoping it extends to Hell in a Cell.
Old 08-18-14, 10:28 AM   #241
banthafett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
probably doesn't have as much as much meaning as it used to.
How could that be? Oh yeah,

Cena 15 times
HHH 13 times
Orton 12 times

27 times for two of the biggest hacks ever in the business, and 13 times for the biggest brown noser. And the list can go on for multi winners and people who never should be champ. Like I posted a few months ago, its been about 12 years since I really watched, and just got back into it and was shocked to here those numbers above, mentioned on every fucking episode. Add 9.99 to that fucking list now.

The highlight last night wasnt even part of the show. We left the network on for a few minutes to see if there was going to be any aftershow stuff. It was the 30 second bump of Bolieve with the pregnancy test. Never seen it before, and we all laughed. Don't know if it was really that funny, but after 3 1/2 hours of what we just got, had to get a laugh out.
Old 08-18-14, 11:10 AM   #242
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Reigns showed me again last night that he is not a main event player. Of the 2 guys in the ring last night the only one I thought had "it" was Orton and we all know how boring he is. Rollins and Ambrose are so far ahead of him talent wise and personality wise it makes me wonder what they're trying to do with him.
Old 08-18-14, 11:55 AM   #243
LaxBandit
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Thats the plan - going to happen any day now - maybe even hours from now.
Old 08-18-14, 12:14 PM   #244
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

What an odd show. Lots of titles changed hands, the heels won the majority of the matches, and yet even with the heel winning the "crowd went home happy."

I didn't really like what they did with Rusev. Sure, he won, and sure they protected Swagger, but seeing this "beast" Rusev limping around the ring in pain and trying to retreat sure didn't do much for him seeming like any kind of monster or threat.

Reigns certainly didn't seem able to carry the crowd. He doesn't have to be the greatest wrestler in the world but he needs the crowd behind him.

If Bryan's not back, where do they go from here? All the other faces got buried/lost, and Ziggler's not next in line.

I think I'm out, since my renewal comes up next month. What's odd is that if my sub ended with Wrestlemania instead of Summerslam, I would've reupped for sure; Bryan winning over the Authority, the Shield standing strong, Cesaro on his way up, Lesnar beating the streak, etc. Summerslam was like the polar opposite, aside from Lesnar winning.
Old 08-18-14, 01:55 PM   #245
brainee
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluthswede6 View Post
Had a great weekend. I'm not very critical on most live shows I attend so I enjoyed most of the matches tonight. Amazed at the Brock finish, not sure where they are gonna go with it but I liked it.
So were you carrying around multiple t-shirts to match whatever wrestler you were getting a photo with? If so ... pretty slick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Maybe it helped that I didn't start it until the live version was probably almost over, but I had no lag or freeze ups at all.
I'm afraid to watch delayed like that, since the last time I tried it the Network randomly jumped to the live stream and ruined the outcome of the main event

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
I remember reading something about Hogan wanting to get back in the ring, any chance of him taking on Lesnar?
Hogan's hips can't even handle his trademark legdrop anymore. He'd literally break into little pieces if put in the ring with Lesnar.

I think it sounds like wishful thinking on Hogan's part. If he was to do a match, it would probably be against another "Legend". Hell, the back-and-forth interview bickering between Hogan and Austin might have you thinking that was where things were going. Though I thought physically Austin wasn't up for anything else in the ring. And he doesn't sound like it's something he wants (or needs) to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I don't know about Reigns as a main eventer right now. His match last night was kind of blah. Hopefully he progresses because I do like him a lot. I think they give him Kane now. Which will be a whole lot of no fun.
Orton is a poor matchup for a guy learning how to have a compelling longer solo match. And Kane may be even worse. The one upper card heel who could probably make Reigns look great, and has a reason to feud with him as well, is Rollins ... and he's tied up with Ambrose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
With 3 hours of Raw and 2 hours of Smackdown they should be spending more time building up the midcard and establishing tag teams. Instead we have a US Champ that doesn't even appear on the PPV and tag team champs coming off a hot feud who don't have anyone to compete against... yet we're wasting PPV time of some jerkoff who won a pizza roll contest.
Exactly! With their roster size and talent, not having enough material to fill even a 3 hour Raw is a piss poor excuse. Creative needs to start living up the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think I'm out, since my renewal comes up next month. What's odd is that if my sub ended with Wrestlemania instead of Summerslam, I would've reupped for sure; Bryan winning over the Authority, the Shield standing strong, Cesaro on his way up, Lesnar beating the streak, etc. Summerslam was like the polar opposite, aside from Lesnar winning.
My Network subscription isn't on autorenew and it expires in 9 days. I'm probably going to let it do just that. Good for you guys that didn't have any problem with your stream. But mine was awful (as it was for many people). It's regressed to worse than it was at the very start. Rumblings I'm hearing is that the Championship is essentially going to be on hold until 2015. Well ... maybe I'll put my subscription on hold too and try the Network again for the Royal Rumble to Wrestlemania stretch. I'm not really watching the old shows as much as I thought I would. There's just only so much wrestling I can watch in a week. I'll miss NXT though. And if Triple H thinks everyone who cancels is a cheapskate, he's deluded and the Network is destined to fail.
Old 08-18-14, 02:15 PM   #246
stingermck
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Keeping my subscription. I share it with a friend, so $5 a month just for PPV and NXT is easy.
Old 08-18-14, 02:20 PM   #247
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing this is the title we'll see tonight:

Old 08-18-14, 02:22 PM   #248
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

The reason they had Reigns lose all interest in Rollins is because neither one of them can afford to lose at this point... but I don't know where they go from here. Kane/Rollins and maybe some rematches (Miz/Ziggler, Paige/AJ) are the only things I see at this point, but Wyatt, Reigns, Orton, Rollins, Rusev (crush Sheamus and crap on the US Title?), Swagger I'm not sure about. So actually if they reset things on Raw, that might keep me in the fold.

The odd thing about the programming that I never really understood... they seem to spend sooo much time on repeating things that just happened. Does a lot of the audience just catch bits and pieces of the show or something? I can understand recapping what happened in past episodes or on other shows, but what just happened? You could really use that time for a promo or whatever.
Old 08-18-14, 02:42 PM   #249
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWBobC View Post
Here's what I dont like. Reigns hits his devastating Superman punch and then stands around waiting to hit his spear while giving his opponent time to recover. Roughly 2 minutes after taking the devastating move Orton is back up like nothing happened. The art of selling is almost completely gone in wrestling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I didn't really like what they did with Rusev. Sure, he won, and sure they protected Swagger, but seeing this "beast" Rusev limping around the ring in pain and trying to retreat sure didn't do much for him seeming like any kind of monster or threat.
And what JCWBobC talks about is why I kind of liked what Rusev did in his match. I do think he oversold it a bit, but it's still better storytelling than the Orton example (which also *usually* applies to Cena... even his first little comeback flurry last night seemed a bit too energetic considering the offense he took before it).
Old 08-18-14, 02:54 PM   #250
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, Rusev did a great job of selling (up to and including his crying-in-pain finisher), I just question the need to do that in the storyline... you can say it was to protect Swagger by showing his offense was potent, but then basically Swagger lost to a one-legged Rusev.

I will openly admit that the lack of selling in other matches made Rusev's selling stand out a lot more, making him seem weaker in my eyes, so there's that.