DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-16-14, 03:48 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

NFL Sunday Ticket NO LONGER requires a DirecTV account!

Woot!
Linky: https://nflst.directv.com/DTVAPP/nflws/index.jsp

Quote:
Introducing NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV.

NFL football for all.

Now you can access live, out-of-market NFL games without a DIRECTV satellite TV account—no matter what team you follow!

NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV lets you stream games on your computer, tablet, phone, or game console. All while keeping up with real-time player stats and your fantasy teams.
There are three advertised tiers of service:

DIGITAL ($200): Streaming to computer, tablet or phone (no consoles)
CONSOLE ($240): Streaming to select gaming consoles (no computer/tablet/phone)
MAX ($330): Streaming to all platforms PLUS RedZone Channel

Consoles are Xbox 360, Xbox One, Sony PS3 and PS4

Last edited by kenbuzz; 07-17-14 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-16-14, 03:49 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: NFL Sunday Ticket NO LONGER requires a DirecTV account!

Well, there goes DirecTV's monopoly. I bet the NFL has to cut DirecTV in on the action until the contract runs out.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 07-16-14, 03:54 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

PC Requirements:
For the optimal NFL SUNDAY TICKET Online experience, you will need the following: Computer operating system: Windows 2000, XP, Vista or Mac OS X v.10.4.10 or v.10.5 or later.

Computer hardware:
Windows: Intel® Pentium® 2.0 GHz or faster processor, 512 MB of RAM; 32 MB video RAM, 16 bit sound card and speakers; 65k video display card; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or Windows XP SP2 or Vista
Macintosh: PowerPC® G4 1.8GHz GHz or faster processor or Intel Core" Duo 1.33GHz or faster processor; 256 MB RAM; 32 MB video RAM; Mac OS X v.10.4.10 or v.10.5 (Intel or PowerPC)
Internet connection: at least 360 kbps

Additional software:
Download and install Adobe's Flash Player 10
Old 07-16-14, 03:55 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Other confirmed platforms:

Android Phones:
HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE (OS 4.0.4 )
HTC Evo 4G LTE (OS 4.0.3)
HTC One X (OS 4.1.1)
HTC Evo 4G (OS 4.0.4)
HTC One (OS 4.1.2)
HTC Thunderbolt 4G (OS 4.0.4)
LG Nexus (OS 4.2)
LG Nitro HD (OS 2.3.5)
LG Viper 4G LTE (OS 2.3.7)
Motorola DROID 4 (OS 4.0.4)
Motorola Droid Bionic (OS 4.0.4)
Motorola Droid Razr HD (OS 4.1.2)
Motorola Droid Razr M (OS 4.1.1)
Motorola Droid X (OS 2.3.4)
Samsung Fascinate (OS 2.3.7)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (OS 4.0.4 and 4.1.1)
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (OS 4.1.2)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (OS 4.2.2)
Samsung Galaxy S4 (OS 4.2.2)
Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE (OS 4.0.4)
Sony Xperia Ion (OS 4.0.4)
HTC Incredible 2 (OS 2.34)
HTC Evo 3D (OS 4.0.3)
HTC Rezound (OS 4.0.3)
Samsung Galaxy S2 (OS 4.1.2)
Samsung Galaxy Note (OS 4.1.2)

Android Tablets:
Asus Transformer Infinity Pad (OS 4.1.1)
Asus Transformer TF101 (OS 4.0.3)
Asus Transformer TF700T (OS 4.1.1)
Acer Iconia A200 (OS 4.0.3)
Acer Iconia A700 (OS 4.0.3)
Motorola Xoom (OS 4.0.4 and 4.1.1)
Samsung Nexus 10 (OS 4.2)
Samsung Nexus 7 (OS 4.1.2)
Samsung Galaxy 1 (OS 4.0.4)
Samsung Galaxy 2 (OS 4.1.1)
Samsung Note 10.1 (OS 4.0.4)
Sony Xperia Tab (OS 4.0.3)
Toshiba AT100 (OS 4.0.4)
Samsung Galaxy 2 Tab 7" (OS 4.1.1)

iPad:
iPad (iOS v5.1.1 or higher)
iPad 2 (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
iPad 2 3G (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
iPad 3 (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
iPad 3 3G (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
iPad 4 (iOS v7 or higher)
iPad Mini (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)

iPhone:
iPhone 3GS (iOS v5 and above)
iPhone 4 (iOS v5.1and above)
iPhone 4S (iOS v6.1.3 and above)
iPhone 5 (iOS v6.0.2 and above)
iPod (iOS v5.0.1 and above)

Kindle:
Kindle Fire HD 7", 8.9" and 10"
Kindle Fire HDX

So basically, it looks like anything running Ice Cream Sandwich or later, or iOS 5 or later, is likely to be compatible.
Old 07-16-14, 04:00 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Does the regular Sunday Ticket for DTV customers include streaming?
Old 07-16-14, 04:07 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Does the regular Sunday Ticket for DTV customers include streaming?
I dunno. I'm not a DTV customer. If you are, check with your provider.
Old 07-16-14, 04:14 PM   #7
DVD Talk God

I thought they had the same deal 2 years ago?
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 07-16-14, 04:23 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I think the tiered system is new, but the Sunday Ticket package was offered on its own last year via streaming for something like $200 for the season.

They gave away a discounted season pass to those that bought the special edition of Madden 25 last year, too.

Can I assume this doesn't include MNF or TNF games? I'm not going to have cable this upcoming season and this would ease the pain.
Old 07-16-14, 04:33 PM   #9
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
They gave away a discounted season pass to those that bought the special edition of Madden 25 last year, too.
It was more than a discount ... it came free with the early version of Madden. I don't even play Madden football and I bought it just for that. It would be great if they did that again, but I'm not counting on it. And considering all the times I wasn't allowed to stream the game I wanted to see (usually Eagles games), it's probably not going to be worth it to me to pay $200.
Old 07-16-14, 04:35 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
It was more than a discount ... it came free with the early version of Madden. I don't even play Madden football and I bought it just for that. It would be great if they did that again, but I'm not counting on it. And considering all the times I wasn't allowed to stream the game I wanted to see (usually Eagles games), it's probably not going to be worth it to me to pay $200.
Was that on their end or your ISP? I'mn curious as to the quality.
Old 07-16-14, 04:37 PM   #11
Premium Member

Quote:
Didn't you have to have DirecTV satellite then though?

I'm curious about the quality, as it's definitely something that would make me consider cutting the cord.
Old 07-16-14, 04:41 PM   #12
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cow View Post

I'm curious about the quality, as it's definitely something that would make me consider cutting the cord.
I'm pretty sure you didn't. It was very expensive though. As in the same price as if you had DTV. This is cheaper than the base ST package for TV.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-16-14, 04:43 PM   #13
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Can I assume this doesn't include MNF or TNF games? I'm not going to have cable this upcoming season and this would ease the pain.
Only Sunday afternoon games.

I don't know about MNF, but I think you can buy an NFL app that gives you TNF and SNF for something like $5/month.

And remember half of TNF will be on CBS this year.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-16-14, 04:45 PM   #14
Premium Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you didn't. It was very expensive though. As in the same price as if you had DTV. This is cheaper than the base ST package for TV.
You may be right, I do remember the cost being higher.

This option might come into play on my next "negotiation" call to them on adding the package this year.
Old 07-16-14, 04:45 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
No. I've never had DTV and contemplated getting that version of Madden for the deal.

Quote:
Only Sunday afternoon games.

I don't know about MNF, but I think you can buy an NFL app that gives you TNF and SNF for something like $5/month.

And remember half of TNF will be on CBS this year.
That's true. I'll have to see about the MNF games.
Old 07-16-14, 05:09 PM   #16
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Yes and no. 2 years ago, DTV allowed PS3 owners to stream ST w/o a DTV account. That has happened the past 2 years.

Last year, if you purchased the newest Madden game, you got a code that would allow you to stream the games w/o a DTV account.

So this has been available, somewhat in a limited capacity on different formats. This definitely changes the game as it is available on everything now.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 07-16-14, 05:21 PM   #17
DVD Talk God

I'm quite sure 2012 was available widely online, not specifically for PS3. 2013 was PS3 only.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-16-14, 05:29 PM   #18
DVD Talk God

Quote:
I'm quite sure 2012 was available widely online, not specifically for PS3. 2013 was PS3 only.
I double checked. It was 2011 and 2012 where you could stream via the the PS3. It was pulled in 2013 for unknown reasons. The only way you could stream the games in 2012 outside of the PS3, was to be a DTV subscriber and have paid for the online streaming option. That was a separate feature up until last season. Now it is all inclusive through the DTV package. There was no way to stream the games in 2012 other than PS3 sub or DTV ST sub.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 07-16-14, 05:34 PM   #19
DVD Talk God

I'll take your word for it.

It will be interesting to see if it works well if it's more widely available. I'm doubtful. I remember seeing people bitching about the buffering problems in previous years on PS3. Live sports streaming (for events of great interest) still needs work; though it's getting better.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-16-14, 06:58 PM   #20
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Was that on their end or your ISP? I'mn curious as to the quality.
I couldn't stream the games I wanted to see because of (I'm assuming) some broadcast rights issues ... it wasn't a technical issue. I'm living in the Chattanooga area (every Sunday is pretty much locked up with Titans and Falcons) so I'm not sure what the problem was with so many Eagles games.

Technically, the season started out really rough (that first Sunday I don't think I could watch anything until after halftime of the early game). Maybe they were overwhelmed with the demand from all the Madden buyers. Quality was ok by a few weeks in, though I'd be booted out of the game I was watching occasionally. And the stream didn't stay consistently at a high definition.

It's good that NFL isn't going to be so tethered to DirecTV anymore. Though personally, $200 is a bit past my price point (especially considering I'll only be able to get maybe 6-8 additional games that I really wanted to see). If they had some kind of discounted "favorite team follower" (where you only got the out of market games for a single team) I'd be all over that (assuming you would get at least a 50% discount off the $200 price). In fact, that sounds like something I bet a lot of displaced fans would like ... there's nothing like that, is there?
Old 07-17-14, 09:26 AM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I'll take your word for it.

It will be interesting to see if it works well if it's more widely available. I'm doubtful. I remember seeing people bitching about the buffering problems in previous years on PS3. Live sports streaming (for events of great interest) still needs work; though it's getting better.
Deftones is correct. 2011-12 streaming was available on certain gaming platforms but you had to be a DTV subscriber to get it. 2013 streaming was available to non-DTV subscribers for the first time, but ONLY if you bought the $100 version of Madden - it came free with the game, and considering that the normal cost was twice what the game cost, it was a no-brainer for a lot of us to get that. Until 2013 there was no other way to get Sunday Ticket without being a DTV customer, and you could ONLY get it via a coupon in Madden.

This year, it is available with no strings attached to everyone - DTV subscribers and non-subscribers alike. This is the first time they've tiered things, though. And at $200 the cost is high, but significantly less than signing up for DTV and then paying for Sunday Ticket on top of that. And it's hella less than what you'd pay to hit a bar every Sunday to watch.

The package includes the Sunday afternoon games only. For games at any other times (Sunday Night, Monday, Thursday, Saturday) you'll have to get them from another provider. All of those are broadcast OTA except for Monday Night Football (ESPN) and approx one-half of Thursday Night Football (NFL Network).

Last edited by kenbuzz; 07-17-14 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-17-14, 09:34 AM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

As far as broadcast quality - the earlier games have always been more difficult to stream, as the servers are showing more games to more households simultaneously. As the # of games and # of viewers start to dwindle, the streams have become more robust. The absolute worst time to watch is Week 1 at 1pm ET... games buffer and stutter and shut down. I don't know why DirecTV has opted to re-learn this lesson every year, but they never have enough "push" to get the games out to everyone at first.
Old 07-17-14, 09:39 AM   #23
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if multiple people can use the same account at the same time, like with HBOGo.
Old 07-17-14, 10:44 AM   #24
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully this works better than MLB.TV free w/Direct TV MLB Extra Innings. That was a complete disaster for me. Half the time it wouldn't work but once I upgraded to Premium it has worked without a flaw.
Old 07-17-14, 10:55 AM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcastja View Post
I wonder if multiple people can use the same account at the same time, like with HBOGo.
It's not supposed to work, because you have to log in with your unique account id and password to get in. However, there was an undocumented feature that would allow you to log in to two different devices if you were coming from the same location - based apparently on your IP address. But I never had any luck logging in from a different location if one of my devices at home was logged in.