Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-24-14, 06:24 AM   #101
Norm de Plume
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 2014 ATP/WTA Tennis Thread

Fuggedaboutit.

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least."
Old 01-24-14, 07:30 AM   #102
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

*checks score online*

*deletes DVR recording unwatched*
Old 01-24-14, 09:03 AM   #103
Osiris3657
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wah wah
Old 01-24-14, 11:10 AM   #104
Osiris3657
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
*checks score online*

*deletes DVR recording unwatched*
I'll probably end up doing the same for the final :/ damnit Rafa!
Old 01-24-14, 03:04 PM   #105
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Fed had to win that 1st set to have any sort of chance. After he lost it, it was all she wrote. Stan better have his BH ready.
Old 01-24-14, 03:17 PM   #106
PhantomStranger
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really do not think Federer has any shot at beating a healthy Nadal in five sets anymore. It was very tough for peak Fed to match up with Nadal and the disparity in conditioning now is too great.

4000 Blu-rays ranked for absolute video quality.
Old 01-24-14, 04:22 PM   #107
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Fed's best shot at winning another GS is at Wimbledon. It's Djokovic's worse surface and it has also become Nadal's worse surface. If the likes of Rosol and Darcis can beat Nadal there, Fed certainly can. In fact, Murray would be the biggest obstacle there. That said, he would probably need a favorable draw and/or some upsets.
Old 01-24-14, 05:19 PM   #108
Norm de Plume
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's all in his head. He now has the mindset that he can't beat Nadal, so he doesn't. The biggest thing Nadal has going for him is that he never gives up. He comes at his opponent as hard in the 5th set as in the 1st, whether he's cruising to a win or on the ropes. He doesn't give up. Federer gets rattled, as do most players.

Old 01-24-14, 05:52 PM   #109
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Well, we can only hope that Wawrinka continues to play very well. He beat Djoko and had a fairly comfortable time with Berdych (who was playing very well to get there). Will that translate into a real test for Rafa?

If nothing else, there is at least an interesting women's final.
Old 01-24-14, 06:53 PM   #110
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Stan's advantage over Fed is more power which can be used to rob Rafa of time. The downside is the thin margin for error when you constantly have to "go for it". Of course Rafa will pound his backhand like he does with every player with a 1HBH, so the down the line reply becomes key. But it's very difficult for a player with a 1HBH to hit that shot with power when the ball is at shoulder height.

Djokovic has success against Nadal because of his 2HBH, his ability to take the ball early, and redirect it down the line with power. That forces Nadal to hit a weak backhand in the middle or cross court, and Djokovic can take advantage with his forehand.
Old 01-25-14, 12:44 AM   #111
Autotelik
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Roger got it in his head last night somewhere in the middle of the first set. He started the match well, but when Nadal earned some break points and he didn't, it became a match of just "hanging on". His superb net play against Tsonga and Murray didn't work against Nadal (not sure why he made so many approach shots against the Nadal forehand, which got blasted back for passing shots). Nadal just punished Roger's backhand. Only 2 backhand winners for Roger in the entire match. So many baseline rallies ended with Roger hitting it into the net. His serve out wide to Nadal's backhand only worked a couple of times.... Nadal got smart and just camped out wide and returned the rest for winners. Don't know what Roger was thinking... but I think Nadal is definitely in his brain, and was for most of the match last night.
Old 01-25-14, 05:24 AM   #112
Autotelik
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Congrats Li Na! Tough first set, but once she got her unforced errors and first serve under control, she was too good for Cibulkova
Old 01-25-14, 03:11 PM   #113
PhantomStranger
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotelik View Post
I think Roger got it in his head last night somewhere in the middle of the first set. He started the match well, but when Nadal earned some break points and he didn't, it became a match of just "hanging on". His superb net play against Tsonga and Murray didn't work against Nadal (not sure why he made so many approach shots against the Nadal forehand, which got blasted back for passing shots). Nadal just punished Roger's backhand. Only 2 backhand winners for Roger in the entire match. So many baseline rallies ended with Roger hitting it into the net. His serve out wide to Nadal's backhand only worked a couple of times.... Nadal got smart and just camped out wide and returned the rest for winners. Don't know what Roger was thinking... but I think Nadal is definitely in his brain, and was for most of the match last night.
Roger's backhand looked shockingly bad against Nadal. What was once a quality shot has completely disappeared.

Old 01-25-14, 04:57 PM   #114
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats to Li Na.
Old 01-25-14, 05:33 PM   #115
Norm de Plume
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Roger's backhand looked shockingly bad against Nadal. What was once a quality shot has completely disappeared.
It hasn't disappeared. It did for a while when he was in decline these last few years and every second BH was either a wimpy winner-target or hit the net, but this Aussie Open he seemed to have had almost a rebirth to 2005. His backhand was great in the matches I saw. Very few errors and good mixture of lasers and deep slices. Then he faces Nadal, completely loses his confidence, and his backhand becomes a liability once again.

I'm glad Li Na won. So nice to hear a name on the women's side that doesn't end in ova or ska or vic or enko.

I have nothing personal against Nadal, but I'm definitely pulling for Wawrinka. Nadal seems like a personable, humble guy off the court, but I can't stand his on-court persona. The swagger, the deep scowl and sneer, the coarse style of play, the coaching and delaying. It's just highly off-putting.

Old 01-26-14, 02:00 AM   #116
Osiris3657
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well the match is set to start in 90 minutes but I'm too tired to stay up. I'll DVR it but I suspect I'll be deleting it after learning that Nadal won in straights.

I do think Stan's A game is good enough to beat Nadal, he has the firepower to do it, but I doubt he can keep that level up against Nadal over potentially 5 sets. Nadal is just a terrible matchup for players with a one handed backhand. If he wants to win, he has to follow the formula. Stay aggressive, go for winners, hit hard and flat.

Hope I wake up to a surprise, but I expect to see a picture of Nadal biting the trophy when I log onto ESPN.
Old 01-26-14, 04:38 AM   #117
Norm de Plume
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sheeet! 6-3, 2-0 for Wawrinka presently. He's blowing Nadal off the court from both wings. Kind of reminds me of AO '08 when Tsonga played so brilliantly and Nadal had no answer. I don't know if it'll hold up and I'm off to bed, but you'll definitely want to watch the match whatever the outcome.

Old 01-26-14, 06:10 AM   #118
JumpCutz
DVD Talk Legend

Wawrinka does it! Cheers Stanimal!
Old 01-26-14, 06:13 AM   #119
Autotelik
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Woo hoo!! For a moment there, I thought this would be a Jean Van der Velde type of collapse, but in tennis.
Old 01-26-14, 06:14 AM   #120
Autotelik
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Sheeet! 6-3, 2-0 for Wawrinka presently. He's blowing Nadal off the court from both wings. Kind of reminds me of AO '08 when Tsonga played so brilliantly and Nadal had no answer. I don't know if it'll hold up and I'm off to bed, but you'll definitely want to watch the match whatever the outcome.
Dude, you went to bed just when it got really weird.
Old 01-26-14, 06:19 AM   #121
Autotelik
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Well the match is set to start in 90 minutes but I'm too tired to stay up. I'll DVR it but I suspect I'll be deleting it after learning that Nadal won in straights.

I do think Stan's A game is good enough to beat Nadal, he has the firepower to do it, but I doubt he can keep that level up against Nadal over potentially 5 sets. Nadal is just a terrible matchup for players with a one handed backhand. If he wants to win, he has to follow the formula. Stay aggressive, go for winners, hit hard and flat.

Hope I wake up to a surprise, but I expect to see a picture of Nadal biting the trophy when I log onto ESPN.
I think that's how Stan blew Nadal off the court for the first 12 games of the match. He was a total animal, blasting everything back hard and was absolutely the aggressor.

And you got your surprise.
Old 01-26-14, 12:28 PM   #122
Osiris3657
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Congratulations to Stan! I just finished watching the match. Surprised at the lack of celebration when he won.

That was well deserved. Beat Djokovic, Berdych, and Nadal back to back to back. Makes up for the retirement and walkover he had in rounds 1 and 3.

I did not see his career turning out this way. The first couple years he was on tour I thought he'd be a career journeyman. He showed me.

He has to be considered among the favorites at the French Open, since clay is his favorite and most successful surface.
Old 01-26-14, 03:09 PM   #123
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched a replay on TSN without knowing the result. That was bizarre to say the least, but full credit to Stan for coming out guns blazing and closing out the match. I think he just lost his concentration in the 3rd and stopped going for broke because Nadal was injured, but he recovered nicely in the 4th.

And this is good for tennis. The "big 4" dominance is starting to get old. They've won 34 of the last 36 slams, and only Del Potro (2009) and now Stan have managed to break that trend. About time other players step up.
Old 01-26-14, 04:28 PM   #124
PhantomStranger
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really thought Nadal was about to pull the greatest jedi mind trick of all time when he somehow won that third set, even though he was regularly serving under 100 MPH and was barely going after balls. Wawrinka realized he was one set from a major and started wildly over-hitting.

Wawrinka came out blasting, he looked great in that first set. I think the match would have gone five if Nadal hadn't gotten injured, but it would have been a toss-up. It looks like his match with Djokovic was the real Aussie Final. Wawrinka must love that plexi-cushion surface, I thought he should have also won that epic 2013 match with Djokovic. Djokovic got a bit lucky to win that one, eventually taking last year's AO.

Old 01-26-14, 06:37 PM   #125
Norm de Plume
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotelik View Post
Dude, you went to bed just when it got really weird.
Actually, I was over at the computer writing that, and was planning to go to bed, but when I returned to the TV it was 2-1 and Nadal was off for his 7-minute injury break. So I was curious what the hell was going on and ended up watching the rest of it.
Typically, the injury caused Wawrinka some trouble mentally, and I thought Nadal was getting the momentum, but Wawrinka managed to hold on. A well-deserved victory without an asterisk. I do feel sorry for Nadal. He is a warrior, but the better player won.

Sponsored Links