Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-02-13, 11:22 AM   #26
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: MLB 2013-14 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

I'd give Cano a monster 5 year contract, but longer than that is nuts. Would he take 5 years $150 million? Would someone else offer him much more?

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 10-02-13, 11:58 AM   #27
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Cano sounds to me like Alfonso Soriano a few years ago (and not just because they were traded for each other): premiere player on the market, skills likely to decline over the life of the contract. We knew Soriano would be a bad contract by the end--we just didn't know that it would happen as quickly as it did.

In other news, Eric Wedge is now saying that the length of the contract wasn't why he left the Mariners, but philosophical differences with the direction of the organization. I wonder if he figures the young players aren't ready and the front office isn't going to spend on veterans, thereby leaving him to fail again.
Challenges: Sci-Fi 2014 | Historical 2014 | Make-Your-Own 2014 | Drive-In 2014 | Action 2014 | Academy Award 2014 | TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Comedy 2013 | Horror 2013 | Criterion 2013 | Animation 2013 | | Leap Day 2012

Last edited by davidh777; 10-02-13 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-02-13, 12:42 PM   #28
Rob V
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
From an article:

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/bas...irardi-return-

I would take it further ... Cano doesn't have a great work ethic, he rarely hustles and he seemingly refuses to take a pitcher deep into a count. So a Cano on the decline is a deal to decline.

But a friend of mine completely disagree with me. He sees a guy with big numbers and power in a fielding location you rarely see power and thinks this is a special guy a team needs to keep. Time will tell.
I'd never give the guy 10 years but the Yanks will give him 8 for sure... and they'll regret it after 3. I don't see anybody else giving him an offer of more than 6 years. Sure, baseball execs are stupid and wreckless with cash at times but how many examples of Pujols, Hamilton, Upton, etc do they need to see before they tread lightly?
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 10-02-13, 12:51 PM   #29
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Cano sounds to me like Alfonso Soriano a few years ago (and not just because they were traded for each other)
uh, Cano came up through the Yankees farm system.

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 10-02-13, 12:53 PM   #30
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
uh, Cano came up through the Yankees farm system.
I was confusing the Soriano/A-Rod trade. I think I was really confusing them because they were power-hitting second basemen in the Yankees system.
Challenges: Sci-Fi 2014 | Historical 2014 | Make-Your-Own 2014 | Drive-In 2014 | Action 2014 | Academy Award 2014 | TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Comedy 2013 | Horror 2013 | Criterion 2013 | Animation 2013 | | Leap Day 2012
Old 10-03-13, 12:13 PM   #31
Mordred
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I'd give Cano a monster 5 year contract, but longer than that is nuts. Would he take 5 years $150 million? Would someone else offer him much more?
He'd be stupid to take that 5 year offer when he could obviously get more elsewhere. He might consider 5 in the 180-200 range. But he knows he's going to decline and five years from now won't be able to get a large contract at all. His best bet is milking the Yankees as much as possible.

"Mordred is a very smart man." - JasonF
Old 10-04-13, 07:26 AM   #32
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

Per ESPN, Dusty Baker is out as manager of the Reds.

As a Cardinals fan, I'm sad.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 10-04-13, 07:35 AM   #33
ctyankee
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Well, the Cubs need a new manager ... oh, wait ...
Old 10-04-13, 09:40 AM   #34
printerati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Good riddance to MLB's Schottenheimer, and I'm not even a Reds fan.
Old 10-04-13, 09:47 AM   #35
ctyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Good riddance to MLB's Schottenheimer, and I'm not even a Reds fan.
Oh, snap!
Old 10-04-13, 10:22 AM   #36
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Magic Johnson says the Dodgers won't go after Cano, but who knows. I'm sure that can/will easily change.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...on-cano-report

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 10-04-13, 10:24 AM   #37
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
He'd be stupid to take that 5 year offer when he could obviously get more elsewhere. He might consider 5 in the 180-200 range. But he knows he's going to decline and five years from now won't be able to get a large contract at all. His best bet is milking the Yankees as much as possible.
I didn't say he'd take it, just saying that's the highest I'd go. If someone else offers him more, let him walk.

Old 10-04-13, 10:41 AM   #38
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
Well, the Cubs need a new manager ... oh, wait ...
Old 10-04-13, 02:26 PM   #39
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

This is how I think the Yankees offseason should go, for anyone interested:

Spoilered for length.

Spoiler:
1. Let Cano test the free agent market but they need to eventually sign him. He's not the franchise guy that Pujols or A-Rod were but with the Yankees floundering on offense last year he's a player they need. They just need to avoid going into a bidding war against themselves. Let other teams set the market.

2. Make an offer to Joe Girardi. He may not be the best ever but he's the best for the team right now. He knows how to handle all the bullshit with the front office and the media. He knows how to manage the egos on his team. Most importantly, he knows how to manage a bullpen. I understand the Cubs are interested. I'm sure there is some desire for him to manage his hometown team, so if he ends up there you can't really blame the Yankees for 'letting him go'. But if they let him walk because of money, I'll be pissed.

3. Let Granderson walk. I'll always be a fan of the guy because he's a good guy that does a whole lot for charity but the bottom line is that he's not a player the Yankees can get a lot out of. He'll hit his bombs but they need a consistent hitter. Not a .240 guy that just hits home runs, they already have that in Teixiera.

4. Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda. He was the de-facto ace. Sure he fell apart towards the end there but the Yankees wouldn't have been in contention without him. He has a desire to finish his career in Japan but hopefully he's willing to go one more year for the Yankees.

5. Do not sign Brian McCann. He's on the radar but I'd take a pass. He'll cost a bit. I'd make an offer to an older catcher that is willing to play in less than 80 games. Maybe a guy like Jose Molina. The reason is that the Yankees should continue grooming Austin Romine to be the everyday catcher until other guys in the farm are ready to go. Despite some rookie mistakes, Romine was solid behind the plate and even showed a bit with the bat. Let him continue to develop as a split time catcher with Molina.

6. Sign some cheap insurance for Derek Jeter and give Nunez one more shot to be an everyday player. He didn't show much this year but he was hampered by injuries. I'd be interested to see what he does this offseason to get better.

7. Start to move away from A-Rod at 3rd base, regardless of his playing status next season. It might be a good time to trade for Chase Headly. No reason to think he wouldn't be available and while he didn't have a very good season for the Padres this year he's still a step up from anything the Yankees can throw out there.

8. Find out what the Dodgers plan to do with their muddled outfield. I imagine they're hoping that Kemp returns and is 100% next season which would push Eithier out of the equation. If that's the case the Yankees should make a play for him to replace Granderson. Hopefully he's willing to switch to left field too. Shin Shoo Choo is also an option. He had a good season and he'd be a fit.

9. Bring in Kendrys Morales. He can hit. He has some pop. Playing in the small Yankee Stadium could make him better. And he can spell Tex at first base as well.

10. Pettitte has retired. Hughes is a goner. Kuroda is 50/50 on returning. That leaves the Yankees with CC Sabathia and Ivan Nova. Sabathia was a shell of himself this season, probably because of his surgery in the prior offseason. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a rebound year. Nova, meanwhile, pitched very well after being demoted and has earned himself a spot. David Phelps could slide in as a 5th starter. Hopefully Michael Pineda is ready to rock next season. Other than that there are a few guys I'm a fan of signing led by James Shields but I'd be surprised if the Royals didn't pick up his option. I'd really take any free agent that's 33 or under. No more of this signing a 38 year old and hoping you can catch lightning in a bottle crap.

11. The bullpen will be rough without Mo. That's why I'm a big fan of keeping Girardi, he seems to know how to get the most out of guys that should suck for all intents and purposes. Go into camp under the impression that David Robertson is closing. He's earned a shot. Still, it's important to have a very good set up man that can take over the closer role if Robertson fails. Someone older that has closed before would be ideal but that's probably not too easy to find.

In the end, the Yankees should look like this next season:

C: Romine, Molina
1B: Tex
2B: Cano
SS: Jeter, Nunez
3B: Chase Headly, A-Rod (?)
OF: Ichiro, Gardner, Eithier
DH: Kendrys Morales

Starters

CC
Kuroda or free agent signing
Nova
Free Agent signing
Pineda with Phelps waiting in the wings

Bullpen: No Joba, D-Rob as closer and ideally they find a reliable set up man.
Old 10-04-13, 02:49 PM   #40
PhantomStranger
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cano will almost certainly get at least a 6-year offer from someone other than the Yankees. He's on drugs if he thinks he's getting a 10-year deal though.

4000 Blu-rays ranked for absolute video quality.
Old 10-04-13, 05:52 PM   #41
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Arod sues MLB. Someone please put this ass-clown out of our misery.

Old 10-04-13, 07:08 PM   #42
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

Matt Harvey is going to have Tommy John surgery and miss the 2014 season. Not surprising, given his issues, though he initially indicated he hoped to rehab and avoid the surgery. I think most believed that might just prolong the inevitable. Tough news for him and the Mets.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 10-05-13, 08:54 PM   #43
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, the tough news was the injury. this news makes me happy, he'll be out 2014 but should be ready to go in 2015.

Old 10-06-13, 10:41 AM   #44
LorenzoL
DVD Talk Legend

Besides another starting pitcher, the Blue Jays need to sign a competent catcher for this upcoming season. JP Arencibia was a total disaster and he regressed so much that I doubt he will ever be a reliable number 1 catcher.
Old 10-09-13, 03:09 PM   #45
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Girardi signs four-year deal with Yankees. Cubs move on to plan B. I know they interviewed Manny Acta.
Old 10-09-13, 03:21 PM   #46
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Besides another starting pitcher, the Blue Jays need to sign a competent catcher for this upcoming season. JP Arencibia was a total disaster and he regressed so much that I doubt he will ever be a reliable number 1 catcher.
That Dickey for D'Arnaund trade turned into a big kick in the balls.
Old 10-09-13, 03:31 PM   #47
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Dickey may not have been an ace, but he wasn't awful. Gave them well over 200 IP, and 2.0 WAR. D'Arnaud has yet to do anything, so I don't know that the outcome of that trade is clear.

Old 10-09-13, 03:38 PM   #48
sleepyhead55
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Dickey may not have been an ace, but he wasn't awful. Gave them well over 200 IP, and 2.0 WAR. D'Arnaud has yet to do anything, so I don't know that the outcome of that trade is clear.
The other main player acquired by the Mets in that trade, Noah Syndergaard, did well this year. As long as one of those guys pan out, I think the Mets win the trade.
Old 10-09-13, 03:47 PM   #49
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
The other main player acquired by the Mets in that trade, Noah Syndergaard, did well this year. As long as one of those guys pan out, I think the Mets win the trade.
true, but Dickey could also rebound and get back to being an ace. From what little I looked at, he still stuck out a fairly high rate (better than all but the previous year) but gave up more walks and gophers.

If Dickey improves some, and pitches out his contract, I don't know if the Mets win the trade unless one of those guys becomes a star. In any case, my point was that the trade can't yet be judged.

Old 10-09-13, 09:36 PM   #50
LorenzoL
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
Quote:
true, but Dickey could also rebound and get back to being an ace. From what little I looked at, he still stuck out a fairly high rate (better than all but the previous year) but gave up more walks and gophers.

If Dickey improves some, and pitches out his contract, I don't know if the Mets win the trade unless one of those guys becomes a star. In any case, my point was that the trade can't yet be judged.
Dickey was horrible early on but as the season progressed, he started pitching better especially inside the Rogers Centre. I don't think he'll reach his Cy Young season level but as long as he stays healthy and gives them 200 plus innings that's a big plus in the Blue Jays rotation.

In regards to D'Arnaud, there's no question that he has the talent but he could never stay healthy even in the minors. That proved the case last year too with the Mets. Syndergaard might be the one that turns the trade in the Mets favour but as LurkerDan indicated, is still too early to tell.

Who the Blue Jays could get for a catcher is up in the air as I don't think that they could afford somebody like McCann as other teams with a bigger budget like the Rangers and Yankees have a need for a catcher too.
Sponsored Links