Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-07-13, 10:08 PM   #1
dex14

A11FL - New Spring Football league coming in 2014

The A11FL is a new spring professional football league that is returning the game to its original roots. More updates will be revealed during the Summer of 2013 with League play expected in Spring 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/A11FL?fref=ts

http://www.a11fl.com/

I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone's really hoping makes it happen. I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet. You're not sure where he's coming from. Okay? You're a bad man. You're a bad man, Mikey. You're a bad man, bad man."
Old 05-08-13, 10:44 AM   #2
Rob V
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: A11FL - New Spring Football league coming in 2014

Paging Tim Tebow... Mr. Tebow, your new job is here.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 05-08-13, 11:33 AM   #3
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The players from the UFL will have a place too play.

What ever happened to the new USFL? Last time I heard,they were acquiring land to build stadiums. Weird that they wouldn't want to share stadiums with MLS teams,but doubt if this league or any other league gets off the ground.

The CFL,if done right,would work well in the USA with the proper owners and fan base.
Old 05-09-13, 05:08 PM   #4
JeffTheAlpaca
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 05-09-13, 07:07 PM   #5
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
The A11FL makes ONE rule change to the game of football, allowing for all eleven offensive
players on the field to wear eligible jersey numbers. This rule change creates a game where every
athlete can be interchangeable within any formation depending on the strategy of each play. The
offense still needs to have 7 men on the line of scrimmage and 5 of those 7 players will be
considered “restricted linemen” if they are not aligned on the end of the line of scrimmage - the
same formation eligibility requirement mandated at every level of football.
In the NFL, can't a player with a uniform # between 50 and 79 report to the officials that he's an eligible receiver? Why is this one rule change such a big deal?

edit: if any offensive player is an eligible receiver, that would be a pretty big change, but it doesn't read like that to me. It sounds like this won't mean a guard or tackle can catch a pass as much as it means a skinny WR can now line up at guard or tackle.

Last edited by RoyalTea; 05-09-13 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-09-13, 11:24 PM   #6
Bill Needle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Players wearing eligible numbers can already line up in ineligible (covered) positions, it just makes them (often inadvertently) ineligible. The only difference here would be that normally ineligible position players can line up in eligible positions without reporting. That being the case, why not just say there is no such thing as an ineligible number? Either way it seems like all it would accomplish is to make it a nightmare for the refs when trying to keep track of who can legally be downfield before a throw.
Old 05-10-13, 05:46 AM   #7
Deadman31
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
The players from the UFL will have a place too play.

What ever happened to the new USFL? Last time I heard,they were acquiring land to build stadiums. Weird that they wouldn't want to share stadiums with MLS teams,but doubt if this league or any other league gets off the ground.

The CFL,if done right,would work well in the USA with the proper owners and fan base.

Didnt the CFL try this a few years ago?
Old 05-10-13, 08:43 AM   #8
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Didnt the CFL try this a few years ago?
Yeah they did it before but it was a big failure except for Baltimore. Most cities were not prepared for the CFL style of play. Maybe an expansion of mostly northern cities(Seattle,Portland,Syracuse,Boston,Detroit) would be more workable.
Old 05-10-13, 09:35 AM   #9
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Yeah they did it before but it was a big failure except for Baltimore. Most cities were not prepared for the CFL style of play. Maybe an expansion of mostly northern cities(Seattle,Portland,Syracuse,Boston,Detroit) would be more workable.
I think the reason it worked was because Baltimore didn't have an NFL team at the time. Portland may work, Syracuse maybe but not Boston or Detroit IMO.
Old 05-10-13, 09:46 AM   #10
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I think the reason it worked was because Baltimore didn't have an NFL team at the time. Portland may work, Syracuse maybe but not Boston or Detroit IMO.
None of the CFL USA cities had NFL teams.

Sacramento Gold Miners (later San Antonio Texans)
Las Vegas Posse
Baltimore (Colts)
Shreveport Pirates
Birmingham Barracudas
Memphis Mad Dogs

Miami was going to be the next US city to get a CFL team (Miami Manatees), but the US invasion experiment failed too quickly.
Old 05-10-13, 10:24 AM   #11
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

If they manage to get teams in the largest non-NFL TV markets, they'll be looking at Los Angeles, Orlando, Sacramento, Columbus, Portland (OR), Raleigh-Durham, Hartford and Salt Lake City. As an added bonus, several of those cities had WLAF teams and currently have MLS facilities - though I can't think of an MLS team that would want their turf torn up.

It would be a coup if they wrangled teams into all seven of the original WLAF markets: New Jersey (Knights), Orlando (Thunder), Raleigh-Durham (Skyhawks), Birmingham (Fire), Columbus (Glory), San Antonio (Riders), and Sacramento (Surge). But in I'm thinking they'll be in mid-sized markets like: Greenville (SC), West Palm Beach, Grand Rapids, Harrisburg, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, Memphis and Austin.
Old 05-10-13, 10:43 AM   #12
dex14

Reminiscing about the USFL, a.k.a. the fun league, 30 years later
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...sfl-tim-tebow/

My understanding, from people I know involved in it... they are going for major markets since they will be using existing stadiums. I know Metlife is one they are after. Atlanta, San Fran, Chicago, Florida are others I've heard.

I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone's really hoping makes it happen. I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet. You're not sure where he's coming from. Okay? You're a bad man. You're a bad man, Mikey. You're a bad man, bad man."
Old 05-10-13, 10:44 AM   #13
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any upstart league must include Las Vegas. Must be easy to lease a stadium there.
Old 05-10-13, 10:57 AM   #14
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Why do people keep trying to start another football league? If you are going to start a new league with slightly different rules, start with a basketball or soccer league. Something with some growth potential.
Old 05-10-13, 11:19 AM   #15
Tarantino
DVD Talk Legend

Football is the most popular sport in America. It's about the $$$.

XBox Live - Kleeberg
Old 05-10-13, 11:21 AM   #16
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
When the CFL was on CBC ,the Detroit market received the games through Ch. 9 Windsor, Canada. Only problem with Detroit would be a stadium unless they want to re-configure the Silverdome. Even Northern Ohio might be CFL friendly.
Old 05-10-13, 12:02 PM   #17
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
Football may be the most popular sport, but is the NFL and NCAA enough to satiate?

In the past 40 years

WFL 1974-75
USFL 1982-1987
WLAF 1991-1992
XFL 2001
UFL 2009-2012

Am I missing any? If the money was there, why have all these failed?
Old 05-10-13, 12:21 PM   #18
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the USFL would have worked if they hadn't gotten greedy and went to a fall schedule. I think spring football can and should work. We have hundreds of sports networks and not enough content to fill them with. Now I personally wouldn't watch it unless I had a local team to cheer for, and I wouldn't with both Baltimore and DC having teams.
Old 05-10-13, 12:24 PM   #19
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
Yeah I get that but as RoyalTea mentioned there have been a bunch of tries already and none of them have been remotely good. People are satisfied with the NFL. Why not make an alternative to the NBA or MLS? Soccer is gaining popularity in this country but a lot of people find it boring. Even if you have to bastardize the sport, there is plenty of room to make it more exciting. And people wouldnt be harping about how bad the players are because they wouldnt know the difference.
Old 05-10-13, 03:19 PM   #20
Tarantino
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Football may be the most popular sport, but is the NFL and NCAA enough to satiate?

In the past 40 years

WFL 1974-75
USFL 1982-1987
WLAF 1991-1992
XFL 2001
UFL 2009-2012

I'm not saying this one will succeed. I think it'll also fail miserably. I'm just saying that's why they're trying again.

XBox Live - Kleeberg
Old 05-10-13, 08:57 PM   #21
BKenn01
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:

In the past 40 years

WFL 1974-75
USFL 1982-1987
WLAF 1991-1992
XFL 2001
UFL 2009-2012

You forgot the AFL, because didn't it technically fail?
Old 05-10-13, 09:13 PM   #22
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
You forgot the AFL, because didn't it technically fail?
I didn't mention the AFL because I started the list with "in the last 40 years"
Old 05-11-13, 12:09 AM   #23
Damfino
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:

In the past 40 years

WFL 1974-75
USFL 1982-1987
WLAF 1991-1992
XFL 2001
UFL 2009-2012

The money might have been there, but these were people with more money than sense.
Old 06-26-13, 08:06 AM   #24
dex14

Quote:
A11 Football League
Here's what many of you have been asking for...or as close as we can get for now. These are seven of the eight states where we'll have teams by 2015. We're still working out the details of the exact stadiums in these states. Obviously, there are definitely more than one or even two possibilities:
California
Florida
Illinois
Michigan
New York/New Jersey
Texas
Pennsylvania

Old 01-26-14, 08:59 PM   #25
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

It's almost Spring 2014. Where's this league?
Sponsored Links