Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Would you open your speech with the line "Hey, how are all you Redskins doing?"
Yes 21 37.50%
No 35 62.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-13, 12:27 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Washington Redskins

Imagine you're giving a speech in front of 1000 Native Americans. Would you open the speech with the line "Hey, how are all you Redskins doing?"

Why or why not?
Old 05-04-13, 02:10 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Washington Redskins

No, because "all you" is horrible grammar.
Old 05-04-13, 02:56 PM   #3
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would probably thank them for inviting me first. Then I'd ask them how they are doing.
Old 05-04-13, 03:11 PM   #4
DVD Talk God

I am not a fan of public speaking, so I can't say I would be in this situation.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 05-04-13, 03:30 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

I can't imagine a situation where a pack of Redskins would require a speech from me.
Old 05-04-13, 05:50 PM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What if the speech was in front of 1000 potatoes?
Old 05-04-13, 05:50 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't say that.

I also wouldn't say:

"Hey, how are all you Native Americans doing?"
"Hey, how are all you African Americans doing?"
"Hey, how are all you Asian Americans doing?"
"Hey, how are all you white people doing?"
"Hey, how are all you Fighting Irish doing?"

I might say

"Hey, how are all you People doing?"
"Hey, how are all you ladies doing?"
"What's up guys?"
Old 05-04-13, 05:51 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
I wouldn't say that.

I also wouldn't say:

"Hey, how are all you Native Americans doing?"
"Hey, how are all you African Americans doing?"
"Hey, how are all you Asian Americans doing?"
"Hey, how are all you white people doing?"
"Hey, how are all you Fighting Irish doing?"

I might say

"Hey, how are all you People doing?"
"Hey, how are all you ladies doing?"
"What's up guys?"
This.
Old 05-04-13, 05:52 PM   #9
DVD Talk God

I'd start with Hail to the Redskins as any Skins fan would.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 05-05-13, 07:19 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

"Good evening, ladies and germs."
Old 05-05-13, 07:41 PM   #11
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ill stick with the classics. Like "you people".
Old 05-05-13, 07:47 PM   #12
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
What if the speech was in front of 1000 potatoes?
Is not real, no potato present. Only politburo. and sadness.
Old 05-05-13, 08:09 PM   #13
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...ing-their-name

The Washington Redskins might have a controversial nickname, but that doesn't mean they should change it, at least according to the general public. In an AP poll of 1,004 adults conducted in mid-April, an overwhelming 79 percent of respondents favored the Redskins keeping their nickname.

On the other end of the spectrum, 11 percent of respondents said the team should change it's nickname, 8 percent weren't sure and 2 percent didn't answer. The poll had a sampling error of plus or minus 3.9 percentage points.

Although 79 percent sounds like a landslide in favor of the Redskins, it's actually a 10-percent drop since the last time a poll was taken on the team's nickname. In a 1992 poll, 89 percent of respondents said the name should not be changed.

One of the poll-takers who was in favor of the Redskins keeping their nickname, cited tradition, "That's who they've been forever. That's who they're known as," said one respondent from Osceola, Ind. "I think we as a people make race out to be a bigger issue than it is."

Another respondent called changing the Redskins name a 'no-brainer.'

"With everything that Native Americans have gone through in this country, to have a sports team named the Redskins - come on, now. It's bad," said a respondent from Boston. "Much farther down the road, we're going to look back on this and say, 'Are you serious? Did they really call them the Washington Redskins?' It's a no-brainer."

The Redskins name is so controversial that the Kansas City Star doesn't use it in print, a policy that will probably get more national recognition as we inch closer to December and the Chiefs Week 14 game at Washington.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and his lawyers may end up fighting in court to keep the team's nickname, but he'll do it knowing he's already won in one court: the court of public opinion.

Keep your eye on everything NFL by following John Breech on Twitter @JohnBreech
But I guess the political correct crowd can find a silver lining. The majority has shrank 10% in 21 years. At that rate you might gain a majority in 100 years.......
Old 05-05-13, 08:51 PM   #14
DVD Talk God

http://kotaku.com/if-i-learned-anyth...-peo-492662043

Quote:
If I learned anything this past week, it's that some people will find any context in which an ethnic slur is not an ethnic slur, or will find some justification for its use, from the name of a video game to that of a football team.

What Not To Name Your Spacefaring Raccoon Video Game
A browser-based game from a group of students from the Utrecht School of Arts & Technology in… Read…
Really, the reactions were almost swappable. In Washington, rumblings that the Redskins might relocate to a stadium in the city limits sparked a city councilman's call for the team to reconsider its nickname of obviously racist origin—and the usual backlash against it. In video games, a student project out of the Netherlands billed itself as "Starcoon," borne of an understandable language disconnect but one that still invoked a top-five racial slur in the company of "spade," "spook," and the big N.

Space Raccoon Game Changes Its Unfortunate Eyebrow-Raising Name
The, uh, not-so-great name a Dutch development team chose for their upcoming browser-based… Read…
"Starcoon," however, changed its name, recognizing the embarrassment it would inevitably suffer if the game became a success in an English-speaking country. Yes, right, the protagonist of the platformer is a raccoon. Unless the truncated word is preceded by "Maine" or followed by "hound" you will have a problem on this side of the Atlantic, and in this case, it sounded like a ridiculous sci-fi blaxploitation film starring Bull Connor as the villain. Wisely, the creators bailed on the original name, rebranding it as Curio's Starquest.

The reaction was depressingly predictable. We're told all the time that the average age of gamers is getting older, but their emotional maturity and concept of life in a pluralist society seems to be stuck somewhere around the freshman year of high school. On average, it's a demographic no more sophisticated than meathead sports fans. "Ever wonder why racial slurs for white people never caught on?" said this commenter in one of our posts on "Starcoon."

No. Please, enlighten us.

"Because white people have higher self esteem in regards to their racial identity."

Yes, that's it. After everything they've gone through, for all for which they have stood, and suffered, ethnic minorities are simply insecure. Once they get over that, hey, racial equality.

No, racial slurs against white people never caught on here because white people, through the laws, textbooks and periodicals they largely control, have a demonstrable, centuries-long head start on deciding what words get used, and how.

Washington Redskins "Proudly" Defend Their Name In The Dumbest Way Possible
Here in the 21st century, there is a growing sentiment that the Washington Redskins should finally… Read…
One of those uses is in professional sports, where white people have such "higher self esteem" that thousands identify themselves, as fans of Washington's football team (or of other teams in high school), with a straight-up racial epithet.

This Editorial Defending The Redskins' Name Is Just So Goddamn Dumb
The Washington Times decided to publish an editorial titled "Hail to the Redtails?" in… Read…
"Redskin nation." "Redskin pride." They smear on warpaint and wear headdresses and go to the games. Then, when someone points out how childish all this is, the official newspaper of white people writes a hoary defense of the right to use the word, a vortex of circular logic that reads like an email from your grandfather with FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD: in the subject header.

It doesn't matter if the entirety of an ethnic minority is or isn't offended by a word and it doesn't matter if you say you knew a black guy or a Native American who has no problem with it. Good for you; I doubt he really exists.

ESPN Headline: "Poll: Majority OK with 'Redskins'"
Uh, that's the point, guys. The AP story also contains this quote:Read…
It doesn't matter if a majority in a poll say they're fine with the name, and it doesn't matter that the word is inoffensive if it describes peanuts or potatoes. And "political correctness," the "liberal media," and every horseshit straw man you construct has nothing to say here.

What matters is that a billion-dollar business and its loyal consumers, in the year 2013, identify themselves with a racist insult. It matters that a term of derision, inferiority and hatred is being directed at the product on the field—by those who sell it and buy it. How is it different from "Washington Shitheads?" How is it even dignified?

That is why "Starcoon" changed its name. That is why the Washington Redskins should change theirs.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 06-13-13, 09:55 AM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

pretty compelling piece on Grantland this morning: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ngton-redskins

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 06-13-13, 10:27 AM   #16
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
pretty compelling piece on Grantland this morning: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ngton-redskins
Great stuff - thanks for the link.
Old 06-13-13, 11:24 AM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm, the author concludes his piece by implying that Native Americans are easily incited to violence. What a racist.
Old 06-13-13, 11:28 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Probably an anti-dentite too.
Old 06-13-13, 11:40 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Hmm, the author concludes his piece by implying that Native Americans are easily incited to violence. What a racist.
Huh, that's not exactly how I would put it. He's implying that if you go into a bar and insult all the people in that bar in the worst way possible, chances are good that you may get your face smashed. I don't think it would be different walking into a bar in Harlem with a Washington ******s jacket and singing a ******s fight song; or walking into a bar in Tel Aviv and singing a Jerusalem Kikes song.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 06-13-13, 11:59 AM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Huh, that's not exactly how I would put it. He's implying that if you go into a bar and insult all the people in that bar in the worst way possible, chances are good that you may get your face smashed. I don't think it would be different walking into a bar in Harlem with a Washington ******s jacket and singing a ******s fight song; or walking into a bar in Tel Aviv and singing a Jerusalem Kikes song.
Interesting that you censor one ethnic slur, but not the other...

Yes, I am just being a dick. But if Washington changes their name to the "Washington Dicks" I would feel a sense of pride and not be offended.
Old 06-13-13, 12:03 PM   #21
DVD Talk God

He didn't censor one but not the other, the forum did that.

Old 06-13-13, 12:14 PM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
He didn't censor one but not the other, the forum did that.
That's even more amusing. The forum itself is covertly racist. Full apologies to LurkerDan. I should have known better, even if I was just kidding around.

Back to the topic: "Redskins, Redskins, über alles!"
Old 06-13-13, 01:12 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure how to vote in the poll. The answer is "no", of course, but it's not the right question.

I do think the Redskins should change their name...preferably to the Washington Warriors, which would allow them to keep most of their imagery but would treat Native Americans in a respectful way. I posted the uniform they should wear in the NFL offseason thread (throwback from the late 60s worn in 2003 home games).

Old 06-13-13, 06:58 PM   #24
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They should keep their name ... as should the BlackHawks, Illini, Seminoles, et al.
Old 06-13-13, 07:27 PM   #25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
They should keep their name ... as should the BlackHawks, Illini, Seminoles, et al.
This.