Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 03-05-13, 01:14 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

The One and Only FOX Sports and FS1 Thread

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/fox-...hannel-launch/

Quote:

DEVELOPING: News Corp has made it official. Its national cable sports channel will kick off this summer with nearly 5,000 hours of live event, news ad original programming annually.” By taking over the Speed channel, it will reach about 90M homes which the company says makes it “the biggest sports cable network launch in history, and one of the largest network launches ever.” At the start the schedule will include college basketball and football, NASCAR, soccer and UFC. In 2014 it will add Major League Baseball with 26 regular season games on Saturdays, select League Championship Series and Division Series games, and a life game-in-progress look-in show. FS1 plans a morning newscast to begin in January. Regis Philbin will host Rush Hour (weeknights from 5-6:00 PM ET), which will include a panel of regulars and guests. It will be followed by Fox Football Daily (daily 6-7:00 PM ET), described as an “extension of Fox NFL Sunday.”

So it looks like Speed will be dissolved. Funny how FOX Sports Net was supposed to do this back in 1996 until FOX gave up and it became a regional sports network.

I worked for FOX Sports Net from 1997 to 2011 and this kind irks me that they are doing this. After the show I worked on The Final Score got cancelled in the summer of 2011 and they laid me off, I thought they had fully given up on doing national sports programming.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-05-13 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-05-13, 01:23 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

re: The One and Only FOX Sports and FS1 Thread

From the press release, programming highlights:

Quote:

FOX Sports 1 Programming Highlights –

COLLEGE BASKETBALL – Dozens of exclusive prime time games on Monday and Thursday nights, plus Saturday and Sunday coverage of the Big 12, Pac-12 and Conference USA.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL – Led by Notre Dame at Stanford, the Big Ten Championship Game and Pac-12 Championship Game (2014) on FOX, dozens of exclusive, live games from the Pac-12, Big 12 and Conference USA on Thursday nights and Saturdays; triple- and quadruple-headers on Saturdays; Saturday pre- and postgame coverage.

MLB – Beginning in 2014, select League Championship Series and Division Series games; regular-season games over 26 Saturdays; live game-in-progress look-in show.

NASCAR – Select NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races as soon as 2015; NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races; NASCAR Sprint All-Star race; all Speedweeks events leading up to the Daytona 500 including: Daytona 500 Qualifying, Sprint Unlimited at Daytona (2014, 2017-22) and the Budweiser Duel, now in prime time; NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NCWTS Practice and Qualifying sessions; NASCAR RaceDay, providing pre- and post-race coverage; NASCAR Victory Lane, a weekly wrap-up show; and Race Hub, a daily mid-day studio show with the latest from drivers, owners and garages.

SOCCER – Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday afternoon coverage of the world’s most prolific club soccer competitions, the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, and CONCACAF Champions League featuring many of the world’s greatest and most successful clubs; the world’s oldest soccer competition, the FA Cup; CONCACAF Gold Cup; CONCACAF Qualifiers, FIFA Women’s World Cup coverage in 2015 and 2019; FIFA Men’s World Cup coverage in 2018 and 2022; delayed matches in prime time; weekly magazine and highlights shows.

UFC – Featured on Wednesday nights; live FIGHT NIGHTS through 2014, the first is scheduled for launch night, Saturday, Aug. 17; FOX event preliminary cards; UFC Tonight, the weekly authority for UFC news and information; 14 Saturday pay-per-view preliminary cards; hundreds of hours of library programs and events.

In addition to live events and studio programs, FS1 introduces FOX SPORTS LIVE, a 24/7 news franchise providing around-the-clock coverage through regularly scheduled programs, hourly updates and an information-rich ticker that provides a network agnostic sports event television schedule. Thousands of hours of news programming are expected annually from newly minted sets including a nightly program at 11:00 PM ET or immediately following events. A morning newscast is expected to launch in January 2014 in conjunction with FSMG’s expansive coverage of Super Bowl XLVIII.
Old 03-05-13, 02:29 PM   #3
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Pac-12 football, Conference USA, Regis... ESPN has to be shaking in their boots.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 03-05-13, 02:36 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

To be honest, there is a huge market of people wanting to jump from ESPN for a real sports channel. The Disney corporation has turned a channel once devoted to hardcore sports fans into some weird metrosexual channel.
Old 03-05-13, 02:38 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Fox Sports. Awesome. Now when my team loses, I can blame Obama.
Old 03-05-13, 02:47 PM   #6
DVD Talk God

Expect your cable/sat rates to go up. Probably a dollar or so per month (at some point) just because of this and FS2, which is coming. DTV just sneakily raised mine almost 6%.

It actually starts out with a much more solid core of programming than the NBC and CBS sportsnet attempts. FOX and ESPN have actively collaborated to keep all the big stuff away from NBC, save the Olympics.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 03-05-13, 03:35 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

As long as it keeps all the Nascar coverage including qualifing and pre and post race shows I'm fine. I notice it says nothing about F1 coverage?
Old 03-05-13, 10:17 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regis? Seriously? Was Bob Barker too busy spaying and neutering?

Also, I wonder if this means the end of Saturday baseball on FOX. Or will these games on here be in addition to the FOX game of the week.
Old 03-05-13, 10:22 PM   #9
DVD Talk God

I think FOX OTA is supposed to have fewer baseball games. Also, some LCS games (probably weekday games) will probably go to FS1.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 03-05-13, 10:26 PM   #10

Work a deal with GolTV please.
Old 03-06-13, 08:41 AM   #11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nobody watches MLB regular season baseball on TBS so why would anyone want too watch it on the new Fox Sports Channel? Does Fox have the exculsive time window for MLB Saturday telecasts on their new channel?

There's not enough sports fans too go around to make these channels worthy of high ratings.

They need exculsive league broadcasting rights for it too work and a few college conferences won't be enough.

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 03-06-13 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-06-13, 10:33 AM   #12
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
As long as it keeps all the Nascar coverage including qualifing and pre and post race shows I'm fine. I notice it says nothing about F1 coverage?
F1 was bought by NBC starting this season.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/nbc-s...ula-one-rights
Old 03-06-13, 11:34 AM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
F1 was bought by NBC starting this season.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/nbc-s...ula-one-rights
Did not know that. Are they going to be broadcasting Sunday morning races or timeshifting to a better time?
Old 03-06-13, 11:45 AM   #14
DVD Talk Godfather

Not really interested in any of those sports, except for Baseball next year. Guess I won't be tuning in very often.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 03-06-13, 11:52 AM   #15
DVD Talk God

I'm all for more free MLB and UFC fights.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 03-06-13, 12:03 PM   #16
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I'm all for more free MLB and UFC fights.
Yeah I'm sick of having to wait to see the fights on Fuel!

And I'll take as many options for college sports as I can get.

Last edited by sven; 03-06-13 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 12:20 PM   #17
DVD Talk Hero

Fuel is being dissolved as well to become FOX Sports 2, which I assume won't debut until 2014.

I know Fuel laid off most if not practically all their staff in the last 6 months to 1 year.
Old 03-06-13, 12:30 PM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Good: Any competition with ESPN is a good thing for sports fans like me.

The Bad: Expect your cable rates to go up as sports packages are one of the main reasons why cable rates have gone up so much in the past few years simply because sports are DVR proof.
Old 03-06-13, 01:49 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chess View Post
Fox Sports. Awesome. Now when my team loses, I can blame Obama.
Now?
Old 03-06-13, 04:07 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Their first hire is Regis Philbin. He'll be hosting a show called Rush Hour. So I'll be tuning that one out.
Old 03-06-13, 07:11 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Fuel is being dissolved as well to become FOX Sports 2, which I assume won't debut until 2014.

I know Fuel laid off most if not practically all their staff in the last 6 months to 1 year.
Shouldn't they name it "The UFC/FOX channel" at this point? What else does Fuel air now?

Peter Hitchens
Old 03-07-13, 06:49 AM   #22
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It will be interesting too see how Fox covers the NBA and NHL (overall League coverage) since ESPN doesn't know the NHL exists and kisses the NBA non-stop.
Old 03-07-13, 08:35 AM   #23
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
It will be interesting too see how Fox covers the NBA and NHL (overall League coverage) since ESPN doesn't know the NHL exists and kisses the NBA non-stop.
Fox had a national highlight show a few years ago on all of their regional networks (can't remember what it was called), and it was pretty fair towards all sports. It was just a half hour highlight show of just highlights (unlike ESPN who has to clutter their Sportscenter now with idiots like Steven A. Smith and Skip Bayless). The show didn't discriminate on any types of sports (except Football gets the #1 bill since its got the biggest audience). I haven't watched Sportscenter in years because they rarely show any NHL highlights, and they don't show highlights of every game from the 4 major sports either anymore.
Old 03-07-13, 09:20 AM   #24
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Fox had a national highlight show a few years ago on all of their regional networks (can't remember what it was called), and it was pretty fair towards all sports. It was just a half hour highlight show of just highlights (unlike ESPN who has to clutter their Sportscenter now with idiots like Steven A. Smith and Skip Bayless). The show didn't discriminate on any types of sports (except Football gets the #1 bill since its got the biggest audience). I haven't watched Sportscenter in years because they rarely show any NHL highlights, and they don't show highlights of every game from the 4 major sports either anymore.
Maybe one day ESPN will stop openingly cheer for certain teams and players .
Old 03-07-13, 10:34 AM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Yes, it was called The Final Score. I worked on that show. It was cancelled when the local FSN regionals wanted to stop focusing on national stuff. Plus, the network said the show never made any money.