Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-11-13, 06:58 PM   #126
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: The One and Only FOX Sports and FS1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I just checked on the 17th as well for Directv and indeed it's the Speed loop with all reality shows for FS1.

And just like you Fuel HD has the listings for FS2. If FOX doesn't make a deal for FS1, I doubt that FS2 will be available.

I guess FOX Soccer doesn't officially go off the air yet. They have listings for a bunch of old games and FOX Soccer News. I guess they don't officially go off the air until FXX launches.
From what I've read, the reason this has happened is that while FOX is asking for a higher fee for FS1 over Speed, FS2 is being offered at the same rate that Fuel TV was getting. So while 3 of the 4 biggest providers DirecTV, TWC and Dish) have balked at paying for FS1, the FS2 transition has been virtually seamless.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...2-rebrand.aspx

Quote:
This raises the possibility that some distributors may carry FS2 but not FS1 at the beginning. Fox has yet to sign affiliate deals for FS1 with several top distributors, including DirecTV, Dish Network and Time Warner Cable. FS2 is not running into the same distribution problems because Fox does not need to get new affiliate deals to rebrand Fuel because of economics. Fuel costs distributors about 15 cents per subscriber per month, according to data from SNL Kagan. That rate is not expected to change when the channel rebrands to FS2.
Old 08-15-13, 03:16 AM   #127
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,5466870.story

FOX Sports 1 signed a deal with Directv, Dish and Time Warner. It will officially premiere Saturday.

Hope you all enjoy NASCAR practice, UFC and FOX Sports Live. I'm betting that no one here will stay up and watch the premiere of FOX Sports Live Saturday night for 3 hours.
Old 08-15-13, 05:46 AM   #128
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:

Hope you all enjoy NASCAR practice, UFC and FOX Sports Live. I'm betting that no one here will stay up and watch the premiere of FOX Sports Live Saturday night for 3 hours.
You do realize we live in the age of DVR's and Tivo?

Any competition to ESPN is fine with me. I love that I have options now for national sports shows other then watching Skip Bayless and Steven A. Smith, whether it be on NBCSN, CBSSN, or FOXS1. 10 years ago there was practically no competition to ESPN, and I was forced to watched them everyday, but with Regional Sports Networks, MLB, NBA and NHL and NFL Networks, and FOXS1-type National Networks, I can pretty much wave bye-bye to ESPN!
Old 08-15-13, 07:57 AM   #129
DVD Talk God

Quote:

FOX Sports 1 signed a deal with Directv, Dish and Time Warner. It will officially premiere Saturday.

Is FXX included in this DTV deal?

FS1 will supposedly be positioned to Ch. 219.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55

Last edited by Red Dog; 08-15-13 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-15-13, 08:41 AM   #130
DVD Talk God

I'm sure FXX is a completely separate deal.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-15-13, 08:52 AM   #131
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I'm sure FXX is a completely separate deal.
TWC apparently made a deal for FXX yesterday as well.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 08-15-13, 08:58 AM   #132
Admin-Self Banned

So apparently Regis Philbin is one of the channel's "Big Names?" He was on the Daily Show last night talking about the station. Yeah, that name screams sports.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 08-15-13, 09:06 AM   #133
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
So apparently Regis Philbin is one of the channel's "Big Names?" He was on the Daily Show last night talking about the station. Yeah, that name screams sports.
Would you rather have Skip Bayless or Stephen A. Smith?

But I do find it an odd choice to put him up against Tony and Wilbon.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 08-15-13, 09:34 AM   #134
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, I gave up on PTI probably 10 years ago, I'll give Regis a shot. Probably just one though.
Old 08-15-13, 09:41 AM   #135
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Would you rather have Skip Bayless or Stephen A. Smith?

But I do find it an odd choice to put him up against Tony and Wilbon.
I probably won't be watching any of those talking heads, so I'll be in pretty good shape I think.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 08-15-13, 11:13 AM   #136
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
I'll give Regis a shot. Probably just one though.
I found this on Sports Business Journal:

Philbin Says FOX Contract Ends After Super Bowl
Fox Sports 1 host Regis Philbin told The New York Times that his contract with the network is only for five months. Philbin: “It ends after the Super Bowl.” Despite Philbin’s claim, a Fox Sports executive quoted in the piece said there is “no short-term contract.” (The New York Times)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Eh, I gave up on PTI probably 10 years ago
I used to love PTI, but I stopped watching it a few years back after Wilbon got on my nerves too much.
Old 08-15-13, 11:41 AM   #137
DVD Talk God

Quote:
TWC apparently made a deal for FXX yesterday as well.
If it was a condition of the Fox Sports 1 deal, we would've heard about it from all providers. I'm sure it was just a coincidence that TWC announced both yesterday.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-15-13, 11:44 AM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

"Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole will bring unique style, humor, to American Sports TV with launch of Fox Sports 1"

Finally! I coudn't wait for TSN to get rid of these two morons.

Old 08-15-13, 12:03 PM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

You've still got Duthie.
Old 08-15-13, 12:44 PM   #140
DVD Talk Hero

Regis' age could be a factor with his FOX contract. It's not like he can sign a 5-year contract, especially being in his early 80's.
Old 08-15-13, 12:52 PM   #141
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/fox-...-warner-cable/

Hmmm, apparently there isn't exactly a new deal signed. Contract talks are still ongoing, but the providers are allowing FOX to do the changeover and launch as long as they don't have to pay more.
Old 08-15-13, 03:30 PM   #142
DVD Talk God

This suggests that deals are done with all the major providers, but that they are simply keeping the same subscriber rate whatever Speed (and Fuel) was and whenever the legacy Speed contract with that provider is coming to an end, re-negotiation of the rate will then take place. So expect each of the major providers (though not apparently Comcrap or Charter) to have future rate fights with FOX in the near future. This is also probably why FXX was not part of a package deal.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...1-pricing.aspx

Quote:
Rather than having these carriage fights with multiple distributors at launch, Fox execs, led by Fox Networks Distribution President Mike Hopkins, decided to establish the channel on cable and satellite systems first. Then, as Speed’s affiliate deals expire, Fox will try to negotiate increases. While those negotiations will occur in an environment where distributors have become more emboldened in their disputes with sports networks, Fox is banking that systems find that it is more disruptive to drop existing channels that have a built-in audience.

Fox’ deals with TWC, DirecTV, Dish Network, Cox and Cablevision are staggered over the next couple of years. Some of those deals could be worked out before the Speed deals expire. TWC’s contract with YES Network ends after this season, and it is likely that Fox will try to tie a new FS1 deal in with any YES deal. Similarly, Cox has contracts with several Fox RSNs ending soon. Those negotiations could lead to a new FS1 deal with Cox.

A major distributor not involved with the deadline pressure was Comcast, which signed a deal with Fox earlier this year that included FS1, but it is believed to contain “most favored nation” provisions that guarantee the distributor pays the lowest rate available. In addition, because Charter’s deal with Fox on Speed was expiring later this year, it was able to work out a new deal, sources said. But sources did not know the rate that Charter agreed to pay for FS1.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 08-15-13, 03:37 PM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

Makes sense for Fox; get the channel on viewer's sets, get them hooked, then have more leverage for negotiation time later.
Old 08-15-13, 03:40 PM   #144
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Makes sense for Fox; get the channel on viewer's sets, get them hooked, then have more leverage for negotiation time later.
Yep. The other thing mentioned in the article is that FOX was kind of boxed in due to their contracts with certain conferences (like the P12) -- they guaranteed to be in a certain number of homes. They clearly would not have met that minimum if they failed to land several major providers.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 08-15-13, 05:04 PM   #145
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some rough estimates on Twitter (from https://twitter.com/bkoo and https://twitter.com/whatupay4sports) that letting distributors pay Speed rates is going to cost Fox $25-$30 million dollars per month.
Old 08-15-13, 10:57 PM   #146
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Some rough estimates on Twitter (from https://twitter.com/bkoo and https://twitter.com/whatupay4sports) that letting distributors pay Speed rates is going to cost Fox $25-$30 million dollars per month.
They would have lost far more if they had launched without TWC, DTV and Dish.
Old 08-15-13, 11:09 PM   #147
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
They would have lost far more if they had launched without TWC, DTV and Dish.
Even if those carriers didn't sign on, they were obligated to keep carrying Speed (the 6-hour loop of content Fox was going to be supplying for that channel) for the duration of the contracts they had for that network, so Fox is getting no more or less money from the distributors by having them sign on. And the agreements Fox did have with distributors like Comcast for FS1 (at significantly higher rates) will come down to match what DTV and others are going to be paying.
Old 08-16-13, 07:55 AM   #148
DVD Talk God

Quote:
FS1 will supposedly be positioned to Ch. 219.
Interesting...DTV is also using this as a time to move CBSSN to 221 (next Wed). So you have the FOX/NBC/CBS cablenets all lined up together. All that's left is where will FS2 go (and FXX -- Fox Soccer is supposed to convert to that, assuming they make a deal).
- Josh Hinkle
Old 08-16-13, 08:02 AM   #149
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What happens to Fox Sports pay soccer channel?
Old 08-16-13, 09:04 AM   #150
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Even if those carriers didn't sign on, they were obligated to keep carrying Speed (the 6-hour loop of content Fox was going to be supplying for that channel) for the duration of the contracts they had for that network, so Fox is getting no more or less money from the distributors by having them sign on. And the agreements Fox did have with distributors like Comcast for FS1 (at significantly higher rates) will come down to match what DTV and others are going to be paying.
And instead of having FS1, all those eyeballs on 3 of the biggest providers would have had a 6 hour loop of Speed reruns. I'm sure the FS1 advertisers would have been pleased to hear about that.

FS1 would have been dead in the water without getting this deal done. So yeah, they're not getting more from the subscribers, but now they won't lose as much as they could have from the advertisers. FOX had no leverage here, as the early programming is going to be pretty weak. But at least now they will have more homes to work with.