DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-24-13, 11:42 AM   #76
DVD Talk Hero

re: The One and Only FOX Sports and FS1 Thread

They said the highlights portion of Fox Sports Live are going to be handled by Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole. They used to anchor TSN SportsCentre in Canada. Fox liked them so much that they hired their producer as well. Andy Roddick is the main host and I assume he will be paired with a female co-host.
Old 07-24-13, 11:54 AM   #77
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Fox Sports Live (the show you're talking about) is 3 hours long.

I have friends who are working on the show.
Hopefully Fox doesn't discriminate against sports like ESPN does, especially the NHL. From what I remember from FOX's previous highlight show (can't remember the name) pretty much covered every sports highlight that day/night and was perfect for what I wanted as a sports fans to keep me up to speed on what was going on that night.
Old 07-24-13, 12:09 PM   #78
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Hopefully Fox doesn't discriminate against sports like ESPN does, especially the NHL. From what I remember from FOX's previous highlight show (can't remember the name) pretty much covered every sports highlight that day/night and was perfect for what I wanted as a sports fans to keep me up to speed on what was going on that night.
That was The Final Score. I worked on that show all 5 years it was on. It was a good show. It's just too bad that Fox RSN's never fully supported it.
Old 07-24-13, 12:26 PM   #79
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
That was The Final Score. I worked on that show all 5 years it was on. It was a good show. It's just too bad that Fox RSN's never fully supported it.
Yes, that was it. NBCSportsNetwork has a similar show 'The Lights', where it is just non-stop highlights for 20 minutes. The problem is they are not consistent with their programming as it is one for a few months, then its not on for a few months, etc.
Old 07-24-13, 12:39 PM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Yes, that was it. NBCSportsNetwork has a similar show 'The Lights', where it is just non-stop highlights for 20 minutes. The problem is they are not consistent with their programming as it is one for a few months, then its not on for a few months, etc.
That's what happened with The Final Score which ultimately led to FOX canning it and me getting let go. It never aired at a consistent time. Some RSN's aired it at 10pm and others at 11, 12 or 1am. It depended if games were on and ultimately the ratings suffered and it wasn't cost effective to keep producing it. When games weren't on, nobody watched their local RSN. FOX decided it would be cheaper for the RSN's to air their own local programming instead.

Now that they are taking over Speed, FOX Sports Live will at least have a consistent daily timeslot. I no longer work there, but I wish my friends and former colleagues well. It's going to be tough producing a 3 hour sports show 7 days per week.
Old 07-25-13, 05:21 PM   #81
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Here is the on camera talent for Fox Sports Live
no one?
Old 07-25-13, 05:42 PM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

Let's try this again. Here's the talent for FOX Sports Live.

3 hours of highlights, news, discussion and analysis 7 days per week.

Ephraim Salaam, Andy Roddick, Gary Payton, Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole, Charissa Thompson and Donovan McNabb

Last edited by DJariya; 07-25-13 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-25-13, 07:13 PM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Donovan McNabb? I'm out...

Just horrible on TV.
Old 07-25-13, 07:50 PM   #84
DVD Talk Hero

Here's more of the on camera talent

Julia Stewart-Binks (from Canada), Ryan Field (from FOX Sports Detroit), Don Bell, Molly McGrath (formerly of Comcast New England)
Old 07-25-13, 07:54 PM   #85
DVD Talk Special Edition

Andy Roddick? I'm in. Dude says it like it is. Hopefully they don't squash him.
Old 07-25-13, 08:15 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Donovan McNabb? I'm out...

Just horrible on TV.
Agreed, he has been terrible on television every time I've seen him. Ex-stars make terrible analysts, most of them are huge egomaniacs that wish they could still play.
Old 07-25-13, 08:29 PM   #87
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Agreed, he has been terrible on television every time I've seen him. Ex-stars make terrible analysts, most of them are huge egomaniacs that wish they could still play.
So who do you use as an analyst? A coach? A newspaper writer?

Not every sports analyst is an egomaniac with worthless commentary. I know a lot of the ESPN analysts fit this bill.

When I used to work at FOX, I worked with former Royals pitcher Mark Gubicza, who is the Angels color commentator on FOX Sports West now. He was such a nice, down to earth guy who knew what the hell he was talking about. I also worked with Marques Johnson, who played at UCLA and with the Bucks in the NBA. One of the best college basketball analysts. Knows So. Cal college sports really well since he's from LA and obviously knows the NBA.

I met McNabb at NFL Network. He's a cool guy. Obviously his career ended sooner than he wanted to, but he's still learning TV.
Old 07-25-13, 08:41 PM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

I explicitly said ex-star, and there are few bigger stars in sports than famous NFL QBs like McNabb. Bench players provide much better insight into the game, because they often had to struggle to attain their spots and often have a detachment from the events surrounding them.

A lot of the big stars learn to master media-friendly personalities as a survival tool, always keeping their personal opinions in check and hidden from the public when they deal with the media. That serves them well when they play, but hurts them as broadcasters when honest analysis is required.
Old 07-25-13, 08:53 PM   #89
DVD Talk Hero

A friend of mine, who is on-air talent at NFL Network, hates Charissa Thompson with a passion. Some of you who play Fantasy Football probably have seen him. His Name is Elliot Harrison and he also writes for NFL.com

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but when I used to work at FOX, Charissa started out as a Human Resources secretary. My friend tried for years to get on camera. He and I worked together at FOX for several and he was a researcher/Associate Producer, but always wanted to appear on camera. FOX refused to give him a shot and he's a good looking guy with lots of sports knowledge. The FOX suits noticed that Charissa was hot and give her an on camera job right away. The suits groomed her right away and sent her to FOX Sports Rocky Mountain to work on camera right away with no experience. She eventually came back to LA and worked on Best Damn Sports Show Period and then she went to ESPN. That pissed him off so much. He literally wants to barf every time she's mentioned. Some better and more qualified people are struggling in small markets while she got the hookup ASAP. Now she's making close to $1M per year at FOX Sports 1. While my friend Elliot only works at NFL Network seasonally.

Sometimes I just hate working in TV. It's a cutthroat business that takes mercy on no one.
Old 07-26-13, 08:06 AM   #90
DVD Talk God

I tend to agree that the ex-stars tend to make worse analysts than the more average players and coaches.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 07-26-13, 08:12 AM   #91
DVD Talk God

Quote:
A friend of mine, who is on-air talent at NFL Network, hates Charissa Thompson with a passion. Some of you who play Fantasy Football probably have seen him. His Name is Elliot Harrison and he also writes for NFL.com

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but when I used to work at FOX, Charissa started out as a Human Resources secretary. My friend tried for years to get on camera. He and I worked together at FOX for several and he was a researcher/Associate Producer, but always wanted to appear on camera. FOX refused to give him a shot and he's a good looking guy with lots of sports knowledge. The FOX suits noticed that Charissa was hot and give her an on camera job right away. The suits groomed her right away and sent her to FOX Sports Rocky Mountain to work on camera right away with no experience. She eventually came back to LA and worked on Best Damn Sports Show Period and then she went to ESPN. That pissed him off so much. He literally wants to barf every time she's mentioned. Some better and more qualified people are struggling in small markets while she got the hookup ASAP. Now she's making close to $1M per year at FOX Sports 1. While my friend Elliot only works at NFL Network seasonally.

Sometimes I just hate working in TV. It's a cutthroat business that takes mercy on no one.
A hot chick who is lacking in skill/experience getting preferential treatment in her job/career. Shocking. This happens in many professions.

Honestly, when it comes to the eye candy reporters/hosts/whatever (and I think sideline reporters are a total waste), I always thought Charissa was one of the better ones (in actual speaking and hotness of course). Definitely better than Erin Andrews (who is absolutely terrible at hosting a show -- see that FOX college highlights show last year). From the bits and pieces of SN that I've seen, terrible show that it is, she's very telegenic.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55

Last edited by Red Dog; 07-26-13 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-26-13, 09:02 AM   #92
Banned

Quote:

Bro, Charissa is so hot, though.
Old 07-26-13, 09:41 AM   #93
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

There is always going to be a demand for a 'Charissa Thompson' on sports networks, because 95% of sports fans are guys and we like to look at hot girls. I totally agree with you that she shouldn't have advanced quicker then your friend, but her looks truimph everything in this day and age.

My local Comcast in Philadelphia has alot of female anchors, sideline reporters, etc and they have one thing in common: They're hot. If they were fat and ugly, they would have never made it this far.
Old 07-28-13, 12:10 PM   #94
DVD Talk Hero

Brian Urlacher is joining Fox Sports 1. He will join Fox Football Daily.
Old 07-28-13, 12:30 PM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
There is always going to be a demand for a 'Charissa Thompson' on sports networks, because 95% of sports fans are guys and we like to look at hot girls. I totally agree with you that she shouldn't have advanced quicker then your friend, but her looks truimph everything in this day and age.

My local Comcast in Philadelphia has alot of female anchors, sideline reporters, etc and they have one thing in common: They're hot. If they were fat and ugly, they would have never made it this far.
Not all of them are hot only a few of them are. Most are very good looking but a couple are not hot and aren't there for their looks.
Dei Lynam and Lisa Hillary are here for their sports knowledge.

Amy Fadool is above average and someday named Sharla McBride works there but I never saw her.
Old 08-06-13, 02:52 PM   #96
DVD Talk Hero

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...source=twitter

FOX hired Chris Chelios as Hockey Analyst.
Old 08-06-13, 04:04 PM   #97
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there a schedule available?
Old 08-06-13, 04:21 PM   #98
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

Didn't see this a couple weeks ago, but shouldn't your friend hate the FOX suits that passed him up and put her on camera? They're the ones making the decisions, she's just taking what they're handing her (and who wouldn't?).
Old 08-06-13, 06:46 PM   #99
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...20130806fox03/

Mike Hill was fired by ESPN. He's now joining FOX Sports 1.
Old 08-06-13, 06:50 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Is there a schedule available?

Upcoming schedule from foxsports.com

Quote:

Saturday 8/17/2013

PREMIERE OF FOX COLLEGE FOOTBALL KICK OFF 6am ET
PREMIERE OF FANTASTIC FINISHES 7am ET
NASCAR SPRINT CUP PRACTICE Michigan 8:30am ET Live
NCWTS QUALIFYING Michigan 9:30am ET Live
NASCAR SPRINT CUP FINAL PRACTICE Michigan 11am ET Live
NCWTS RACING Michigan 12:30pm ET Live
PREMIERE OF FOX SPORTS 1 ON 1 2:30pm ET
FOX COLLEGE FOOTBALL KICK OFF 3:30pm ET
PREMIERE OF UFC ULTIMATE INSIDER 4:30pm ET
UFC FIGHT NIGHT Prefight: Shogun vs Sonnen 5pm ET Live
UFC FIGHT NIGHT Prelims: Shogun vs Sonnen 6pm ET Live
UFC FIGHT NIGHT Shogun vs Sonnen 8pm ET Live
PREMIERE OF FOX SPORTS LIVE 11pm ET Live

Sunday 8/18/2013

PREMIERE OF NASCAR RACEDAY Michigan 10am ET Live
MOTOGP MOTO2 Indianapolis 12pm ET Live
MOTOGP MOTO3 Indianapolis 11am ET Live
MOTOGP WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP Indianapolis 2pm ET Live
PREMIERE OF NASCAR VICTORY LANE Michigan 7pm ET
PREMIERE OF UFC ULTIMATE 100 KNOCKOUTS Part 1: Knockouts 100-71 8pm ET
UFC ULTIMATE 100 KNOCKOUTS Part 2: Knockouts 70-41 9pm ET

Monday 8/19/2013

PREMIERE OF FOX SOCCER DAILY 4pm ET Live
PREMIERE OF NASCAR RACE HUB 4:30pm ET Live
PREMIERE OF CROWD GOES WILD 5pm ET Live
PREMIERE OF FOX FOOTBALL DAILY 6pm ET Live
GOLDEN BOY ON FOX: Daniel Jacobs vs Giovanni Lorenzo 9pm ET Live

Tuesday 8/20/2013

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: PLAY-OFFS - 1st Leg 2pm ET Live
CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE - MATCH DAY 2: DirecTV W Connection (TRI) vs Houston Dynamo (USA) 8pm ET Live

Wednesday 8/21/2013

NCWTS PRACTICE Bristol 10am ET Live
NCWTS PRACTICE Bristol 12pm ET Live
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE PLAY-OFFS - 1st Leg 2pm ET Live
NCWTS RACING Bristol 8pm ET Live

Friday 8/23/2013

NASCAR NATIONWIDE PRACTICE Bristol 9am ET Live
NASCAR SPRINT CUP PRACTICE Bristol 12pm ET Live
NASCAR SPRINT CUP FINAL PRACTICE Bristol 2:30pm ET Live
NASCAR NATIONWIDE QUALIFYING Bristol 3:30pm ET Live
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: Bishop Gorman (NV) vs Mountain Pointe (AZ) 10pm ET Live

Saturday 8/24/2013

PREMIERE OF CROWD GOES WILD WEEKEND 2pm ET
UFC UNLEASHED Rich Franklin vs Wanderlei Silva 3pm ET
NASCAR RACEDAY Bristol 6pm ET Live
PREMIERE OF UFC RELOADED UFC 148: Silva vs Sonnen II 7pm ET

Sunday 8/25/2013

MOTOGP WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP Czech Grand Prix 7am ET Live
MOTOGP MOTO2 Czech Grand Prix 1pm ET
CONTINENTAL TIRE SPORTS CAR CHALLENGE Kansas 3pm ET
UFC ULTIMATE INSIDER 5:30pm ET
PREMIERE OF THE JONES AND MOSELEY SHOW 6pm ET
UFC ULTIMATE 100 KNOCKOUTS Part 3: Knockouts 40-11 8pm ET

Monday 8/26/2013

PREMIERE OF MISSION OCTOBER 7:30pm ET
UFC COUNTDOWN UFC 164 8pm ET

Tuesday 8/27/2013

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE PLAY-OFFS - 2pm ET Live
CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE - MATCH DAY 3: Houston Dynamo (USA) v Arabe Unido (PAN) 8pm ET Live

Wednesday 8/28/2013

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE PLAY-OFFS - 2nd Leg 2pm ET Live
UFC FIGHT NIGHT Condit vs Kampmann II 8pm ET Live

Thursday 8/29/2013

FOX COLLEGE THURSDAY 7pm ET Live
FOX COLLEGE FOOTBALL Pac-12: Utah State at Utah 8pm ET Live

Friday 8/30/2013

NASCAR SPRINT CUP PRACTICE Atlanta 3pm ET Live
NASCAR SPRINT CUP QUALIFYING Atlanta 7pm ET
FOX COLLEGE FOOTBALL Big 12: North Dakota State at K-State 8:30pm ET Live

Saturday 8/31/2013

FOX COLLEGE SATURDAY 10am ET Live