DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-14-13, 02:01 PM   #26
DVD Talk Hero

re: The One and Only FOX Sports and FS1 Thread

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7752654.story

FOX Sports 2 is also expected to launch this August. It's going to replace Fuel.
Old 06-26-13, 01:06 PM   #27
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just hope that the new Fox Sports Channel covers the NBA like ESPN covers the NHL.
Old 06-26-13, 05:46 PM   #28
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure if I missed something, but does this mean the Fox Soccer Channel no longer exists. How and who will air the EPL games?
Old 06-26-13, 05:48 PM   #29
DVD Talk God

NBC got those rights....most games on NBCSN.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 06-27-13, 06:48 AM   #30
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ OK, tahnks. Just read an aricle about it all. Sounds like I'm gonna be in footy heaven
Old 06-27-13, 12:53 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bill Raftery is moving from ESPN to Fox Sports 1 so he can keep calling Big East games. He'll be paired with Gus Johnson on those broadcasts, it sounds like. He'll still be doing March Madness for CBS, as well.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/...-fox-sports-1/
Old 06-27-13, 12:55 PM   #32
DVD Talk God

I was just about to post it. That sucks. It breaks up the best ESPN crew. And I can't stand Gus.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-15-13, 02:56 PM   #33
DVD Talk God

FS1 carriage talks sticky a month out:
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...Media/FS1.aspx

At this point, I'm actually much more worried about FXX carriage what with the new seasons of Sunny and The League starting in the fall.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-15-13, 03:19 PM   #34
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder how many people watch the CBS Sports Network and NBC Sports network?

This new FOX network will probably fail just like the previous FOX Sports cable network int he 90's.
Old 07-15-13, 03:26 PM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

Of course there were going to be issues with carriage fees, especially jumping from 23 cents to 80 something cents.

And then they want to charge $1.50 later on?

Not counting the limited MLB coverage in 2014, this network has zero rights to any other major U.S. sports not counting college. They aren't getting NBA or NHL. They will only get NFL if the NFL network decides to sell off the Thursday night football rights.

Very limited audiences care about UFC and NASCAR and that's 95% of their launch day coverage.
Old 07-15-13, 03:28 PM   #36
DVD Talk God

I seriously doubt it will fail given the content they already have secured for it.

CBS Sports Net viewership is very low.

NBC Sports Net is doing better, but it's still pretty low viewership. It's pretty niche outside of when an Olympics is going on - hockey fans, IndyCar/F1 fans, will get the EPL fans come fall. That's about it.
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 07-15-13 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 03:31 PM   #37
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Of course there were going to be issues with carriage fees, especially jumping from 23 cents to 80 something cents.

And then they want to charge $1.50 later on?

Not counting the limited MLB coverage in 2014, this network has zero rights to any other major U.S. sports not counting college. They aren't getting NBA or NHL. They will only get NFL if the NFL network decides to sell off the Thursday night football rights.

Very limited audiences care about UFC and NASCAR and that's 95% of their launch day coverage.
NFL Network is 95 cents per month, correct? That's ridiculous IMO given that they only have 16 games that matter (and they are invariably weaker matchups).

I would also consider the NCAAF, NCAAB, and NASCAR contracts "major sports properties." Hell, NCAAF and NASCAR are more valuable than NHL in the U.S.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-15-13, 03:35 PM   #38
DVD Talk Hero

For mainstream sports fans at least until 2014, they are going to be relying heavily on their college football and hoops coverage. Most West coast fans don't care about NASCAR.

I don't know, does anyone in this forum care about sports talk, roundtable and highlight shows anymore? Fox Football Daily, that Regis Philbin show and Fox Sports Live are going to be alot of their marquee non-games programming. Fox Sports Live (their version of sports center) is on at 11pm ET. Do any of you stay up that late to watch highlights?
Old 07-15-13, 03:39 PM   #39
DVD Talk God

Well it's not like 2014 is that far off. It's basically next baseball season and picks up right when NCAAB ends.

I care about PTI. Watch it everyday. But that's it, except for having Mike & Mike on when I get ready in the morning.

If they have a good Sunday morning talk show, I might watch it like I used to watch Sports Reporters.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-15-13, 04:22 PM   #40
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
For mainstream sports fans at least until 2014, they are going to be relying heavily on their college football and hoops coverage.
Luckily for me that and MMA is all I care about.
Old 07-15-13, 04:28 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I actually watch plenty of things on NBC Sports Network. In fact, more than on ESPN, at least until football starts. I can't remember ever watching anything on CBS Sports Network however.
Old 07-15-13, 05:36 PM   #42
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[QUOTE=JeffTheAlpaca I wonder how many people watch the CBS Sports Network and NBC Sports network?

They will let you know when it happens.
Old 07-15-13, 06:15 PM   #43
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd watch CBS sports Network if I actually got it. I watch NBC sports when they have a game on worth watching.
Old 07-15-13, 07:13 PM   #44
DVD Talk God

I am probably the only one in this forum who watches CBSSN with any kind of regularity. It airs Patriot League hoops.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-15-13, 07:34 PM   #45
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
NFL Network is 95 cents per month, correct? That's ridiculous IMO given that they only have 16 games that matter (and they are invariably weaker matchups).
If you don't watch anything on NFL Network besides Thursday night Football, then of course you're probably going to think that "fee" isn't worth it.

But, for the hardcore NFL fan, what other channel provides round the year coverage? Total Access is on 5 days a week in the off season and 6 days during the season. NFL AM, a 4 hour NFL Talk show, is on for the morning folks at 6am. Around the League Live, which airs during the season, is a daily 3-5 hour show on the all the latest injuries, signings, press conferences etc. Plus, they have all the NFL Films, Replay and extensive coverage of the draft, Super Bowl etc.

Okay, I know most of the sports fans in this forum probably doesn't have time to watch all that, but it's hardly not worth it.
Old 07-16-13, 05:47 AM   #46
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

This new FOX network will probably fail just like the previous FOX Sports cable network int he 90's.
http://deadspin.com/espns-ratings-ar...atte-722030528

Now no one will slay the ESPN Dragon overnight, but I do think there are so many options these days that they have lost all the diehard Sports fans to specific sports networks. I used to watch ESPN 24/7, but I avoid it at all costs. If you notice that ESPN goes for the casual viewer now with more tabloid stories, and more controversial pundits that just argue and argue instead of reporting straight sports.

ESPN has had a monopoly over every sports fan for 30 years, most casual fans are just conditioned to goto ESPN for their news. It may take years, but with so many new networks, many fans who are fed up with ESPN will find other alternatives.
Old 07-16-13, 07:56 AM   #47
DVD Talk God

Quote:
If you don't watch anything on NFL Network besides Thursday night Football, then of course you're probably going to think that "fee" isn't worth it.

But, for the hardcore NFL fan, what other channel provides round the year coverage? Total Access is on 5 days a week in the off season and 6 days during the season. NFL AM, a 4 hour NFL Talk show, is on for the morning folks at 6am. Around the League Live, which airs during the season, is a daily 3-5 hour show on the all the latest injuries, signings, press conferences etc. Plus, they have all the NFL Films, Replay and extensive coverage of the draft, Super Bowl etc.

Okay, I know most of the sports fans in this forum probably doesn't have time to watch all that, but it's hardly not worth it.
I consider myself a hard-core NFL fan. I get all the NFL news I need online. Now 20+ years ago, I would have absolutely loved NFLN.

With only a few exceptions, the only things I watch on sports channels are actual events.

It's the sports properties that drive the costs of these channels (hence ESPN's huge fee); not the news/talk/etc programs. Those costs are nominal in comparison (which is what makes NFLN's carriage fee all the more absurd IMO). I know you work for NFLN, but that's the reality.
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 07-16-13 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-16-13, 08:27 AM   #48

Quote:
Can't speak to CBS, but NBC carries (or will carry) Tour de France, F1, and EPL, and plenty of people watch those.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 07-16-13, 08:43 AM   #49
DVD Talk Hero

David Hill, the former chairman of FOX Sports, thinks that it will take FS1 at least 3 years before it becomes a viable competitor to ESPN.

Unless the MLB coverage is expanded and it gets another professional sports property, I think it's going to be longer than that.

I have alot of former colleagues who are working there and hope they have good careers there, but with TV you always have to watch your back. I learned first hand with the failure of FSN as a national sports network.
Old 07-16-13, 09:12 AM   #50
DVD Talk God

If Fox Sports 1 could figure out a way to show alternate NFL games and ramp up MLB games on the network, they could easily be a competitor to ESPN immediately. But we all know that won't happen due to the existing television contracts.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW