Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-24-13, 11:18 AM   #76
chess
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Super Bowl XLVII - 49ers vs. Ravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
The grounded nerd has filed for the trademark "Kaepernicking."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...-kaepernicking
If folks are making money off of your name, it's not an unreasonable thing to do. Even nerds have agents and lawyers.

Just google "Kaepernicking shirt", and you'll see what I mean.

Side note...I want this one:

Old 01-24-13, 03:15 PM   #77
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Agreed. I love Michaels and Collinsworth. I LOATHE Buck and Aikman. Same with Gruden.

FYI, this is the 8th Super Bowl that Michaels has done from the booth. He also was the in-studio host once:

XLVI (NBC) w/Collinsworth - NYG 21, NEP 17 (Indianapolis)
XLIII (NBC) w/Madden - PIT 27, ARI 23 (Tampa)
XL (ABC) w/Madden - PIT 21*, SEA 10 (Detroit)
XXXVII (ABC) w/Madden - TBB 48, OAK 21 (San Diego)
XXXIV (ABC) w/Esiason - STL 23, TEN 16 (Atlanta)
XXIX (ABC) w/Gifford + Dierdorf - SFF 49, SDC 26 (Miami)
XXV (ABC) w/Gifford + Dierdorf - NYG 20, BUF 19 (Tampa)
XXII (ABC) w/Gifford + Dierforf - WAS 42, DEN 10 (San Diego)
XIX (ABC) as a Studio Host w/Lampley - SFF 38. MIA 16 (Stanford)
Old 01-24-13, 10:40 PM   #78
chess
DVD Talk Legend

I've gone from being not so sure about benching Alex Smith to being cautiously optimistic that Kap really could be a franchise QB to full on rabid Kaepernick fanboy.

Any doubts about whether he'd be composed in the playoffs have been answered. In his first playoff game, he set the all time QB rushing record and accounted for 4 TDs and 444 yards. In his second playoff game, he set the NFC championship comeback record (on the road no less), and his 76.5% completion rate was the 3rd highest for any 49er QB in a playoff game.

I'm also reminded that Steve Deberg was once benched in mid-season for a second year QB named Joe Montana, and we've already discussed how that year ended.

I acknowledge that I'm a bit irrational, but I'm damn sure glad that kid is on our side.

Last edited by chess; 01-25-13 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-25-13, 01:31 AM   #79
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

I almost forgot he came in for a few plays in the Jets game. I remembered his classy slide at the one to avoid running up the score.

As for the Kaepernicking thing, he donates some of the proceeds to his charity, so more power to him.
Old 01-26-13, 10:07 AM   #80
RayChuang
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Folks, in my humble opinion I think the "buzz" for the Super Bowl is lower this year than last year. I think the absence of a polarizing team (the Patriots) and a team from a major metropolitan area (the Giants) is causing this. Don't be surprised that the TV ratings will be 3-6% lower than last year.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 01-28-13, 08:27 AM   #81
chess
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
Folks, in my humble opinion I think the "buzz" for the Super Bowl is lower this year than last year. I think the absence of a polarizing team (the Patriots) and a team from a major metropolitan area (the Giants) is causing this. Don't be surprised that the TV ratings will be 3-6% lower than last year.
Maybe...not that I care about TV ratings, but I guess it's worth talking about.

I think there are a number of reasons that interest will be plenty high this year:
- Brothers coaching against each other is HUGE
- 49ers are a first tier NFL franchise along with the Steelers, Cowboys and Packers
- 49ers are in the SB for the first time in forever, and they have a ton of fans from the 80s/90s
- Everybody seems to either love or hate the Ravens
- Ray Lewis retirement tour is a great story
- Colin Kaepernick is a great story
Old 01-28-13, 08:57 AM   #82
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the ratings are going to suck, but don't agree that everybody loves or hates the Ravens.
Old 01-28-13, 09:08 AM   #83
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

I think most football fans hate or strongly dislike the Ravens for a number of reasons (although the Pats had gotten to a point where they were more hated). Not many love them. Certainly not outside Maryland.

SB ratings never suck. They will likely be down, but not every SB can be the highest rated. And really, who cares outside of a CBS suit anyhow.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 01-28-13, 09:17 AM   #84
Arpeggi
Banned

Am I the only one who can't stand Colin Kaepernick?
Old 01-28-13, 10:00 AM   #85
chess
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
Am I the only one who can't stand Colin Kaepernick?
Doubt it. Apparently some folks don't think he's a good role model despite all evidence to the contrary...strong midwestern upbringing, great parents, biblical tatoos, soft spoken, all business, great leadership qualities and relatively humble despite his absurd talent.

As a Niner fan, I haven't been this excited about a SF quarterback since Joe Montana. I liked Young, but he always seemed to come up small in the biggest games despite his natural talent, and I always resented the fact that they didn't let Joe compete for the job when he returned from injury. Everybody else between Joe and Kap has been bad, and even the decent ones (Garcia and the last two years of Smith) looked like solid NFL backups at best.

Kap has come up huge in every big game this year aside from the brutal road game in Seattle, and if I'm trying to defend against everything he does, I'm nervous.
Old 01-28-13, 10:02 AM   #86
chess
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I think most football fans hate or strongly dislike the Ravens for a number of reasons (although the Pats had gotten to a point where they were more hated). Not many love them. Certainly not outside Maryland.
I think this too.

I only like the Ravens when they play the Steelers.
Old 01-28-13, 10:03 AM   #87
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

I know you all have been waiting for them. Without further ado, 35 pages of LVH Super Bowl betting props.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/visports...-book-2013.pdf

My personal favorites:

Quote:
WHO WILL HAVE MORE:
**(Providence, Villanova, Marquette, Louisville, South Florida and
Connecticut--February 3, 2013) Prop closes at 9:00 am Pacific
BIG EAST TEAM POINTS -45.5 -110
RAVENS TOTAL NET YARDS +45.5 -110
Quote:
WHO WILL HAVE MORE:
**(Jason Dufner must tee off in the Waste Management Phoenix Open 4th round
on February 3, 2013, and complete 18 holes. 4th round must be completed by
February 4, 2013 for action. Prop closes at 8:00 AM Pacific Time on February
3, 2013)**
JASON DUFNER 4TH ROUND SCORE -5.5 -110
ANQUAN BOLDIN (BAL) RECEIVING YARDS +5.5 -110
Quote:
WHO WILL HAVE MORE:
**(RBS 6 Nations rugby union match France at Italy.
Prop closes at 7:00 AM Pacific Time on February 3, 2013)**
ITALY+FRANCE POINTS -10.5 -110
DISTANCE OF FIRST MADE FG OF SB XLVII +10.5 -110
**(If no FG is made--all bets are refunded)

Any rugby experts here?
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-29-13, 11:41 AM   #88
chess
DVD Talk Legend

Also for your amusement:

Old 01-29-13, 12:17 PM   #89
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

It turns out that the murderer had a little bit more than just Jesus' help to come back from his triceps tear.

Quote:
According to Sports Illustrated, Ray Lewis contacted a company owned by a former male stripper to obtain a deer-antler velvet extract after tearing his triceps in October.

Mitch Ross of S.W.A.T.S reportedly videotaped the phone call from Lewis.

“Spray on my elbow every two hours?” Lewis asked Ross regarding the extract, via Philly.com. (Quotes from the conversation don’t appear in the free online version of the Sports Illustrated article; presumably, Philly.com gleaned the info from the full article.)

“No,” Ross said. “Under your tongue.”

Later, Lewis asked Ross to “just pile me up and just send me everything you got, because I got to get back on this this week.”

The problem for Lewis is that the extract contains IGF-1, which is on the NFL’s list of banned substances.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-torn-triceps/
Old 01-29-13, 01:43 PM   #90
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Suspend him the first 4 games of next season then.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-29-13, 02:00 PM   #91
Noonan
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I say ban him from the SB...but I hate the guy, so I'm a bit biased.
Old 01-29-13, 02:01 PM   #92
chess
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh...hope he doesn't get suspended or anything. I kind of want to watch him try to chase down Vernon Davis and Kap.
Old 01-29-13, 02:03 PM   #93
cnicholls44
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chess View Post

I only like the Ravens when they play the Steelers.
Old 01-30-13, 08:18 AM   #94
Rob V
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anybody think steroids aren't rampant in the NFL? Ray Lewis taking a banned supplement is news? Have you seen the guy? I realize this is his profession, but the body doesn't develop like that naturally.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 01-30-13, 08:55 AM   #95
Arpeggi
Banned

Quote:
Doubt it. Apparently some folks don't think he's a good role model despite all evidence to the contrary...strong midwestern upbringing, great parents, biblical tatoos, soft spoken, all business, great leadership qualities and relatively humble despite his absurd talent.

As a Niner fan, I haven't been this excited about a SF quarterback since Joe Montana. I liked Young, but he always seemed to come up small in the biggest games despite his natural talent, and I always resented the fact that they didn't let Joe compete for the job when he returned from injury. Everybody else between Joe and Kap has been bad, and even the decent ones (Garcia and the last two years of Smith) looked like solid NFL backups at best.

Kap has come up huge in every big game this year aside from the brutal road game in Seattle, and if I'm trying to defend against everything he does, I'm nervous.
Let me have some of that Kaepernick Kool-aid.
Old 01-30-13, 09:08 AM   #96
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Does anybody think steroids aren't rampant in the NFL? Ray Lewis taking a banned supplement is news? Have you seen the guy? I realize this is his profession, but the body doesn't develop like that naturally.
Anyone who thinks that steroids isn't as rampant (or more rampant) in the NFL as it is in the MLB is a fool. It's just treated very differently by the media so all the pressure is on baseball to clean up their act while they look the other way with the NFL.
Old 01-30-13, 10:55 AM   #97
Rob V
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Anyone who thinks that steroids isn't as rampant (or more rampant) in the NFL as it is in the MLB is a fool. It's just treated very differently by the media so all the pressure is on baseball to clean up their act while they look the other way with the NFL.
I've never understood this... why is Goodell so concernced about player safety but not looking at the cause of the problem? It's guys getting bigger, stronger and faster blasting each other's blind side! I personally don't care because nobody wants to watch the Pepsi delivery guy play Left Tackle... but I certainly don't want my son to think that's the way to advance in sports -- steroids are so short-sighted.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 01-30-13, 11:08 AM   #98
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I've never understood this... why is Goodell so concernced about player safety but not looking at the cause of the problem? It's guys getting bigger, stronger and faster blasting each other's blind side! I personally don't care because nobody wants to watch the Pepsi delivery guy play Left Tackle... but I certainly don't want my son to think that's the way to advance in sports -- steroids are so short-sighted.
You kind of answered your own question... no one wants to see the Pepsi delivery guy play left tackle. People want to see roided up freaks hit each other hard. It all boils down to money.

Look at baseball. It hit it's peak popularity (post-strike) during the steroid era. It's been in a steady decline for awhile now. Maybe it's because fans were turned off by the fact the players were roiding or maybe it's because baseball is just more fun when these monsters are hitting a ball 500 feet. Either way, it's good enough incentive for Goodell to sweep this shit under the rug. Throw in the fact the NFL is the biggest money maker for ESPN, CBS sports and FOX sports and you can see why they want to sweep it under the rug too.
Old 01-30-13, 02:42 PM   #99
Bill Needle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
You kind of answered your own question... no one wants to see the Pepsi delivery guy play left tackle. People want to see roided up freaks hit each other hard. It all boils down to money.
I enjoy watching football for the same reason I loved playing: For all of the violent ground acquisition aspects of the game which serve as a crypto-fascist metaphor for nuclear war.
Old 01-30-13, 09:13 PM   #100
Barth

Quote:

Man, you're becoming the Raven of this year's super bowl thread. Believe me, that's not a compliment.
You talk crap on Alex Smith and being a backup qb...he would have led the 49ers to the super bowl last year if it wasn't for guys on his team making a ton of mistakes. He played fine.
To say everyone between Montana and your current one year wonder has been bad makes me realize you don't know a thing about football. Steve Young was a great qb. Anyways, I'll be rooting for the 49ers but its fans like you that make me want to root for the other team.