Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-04-12, 02:39 PM   #26
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2012-2013 NCAA Football Offseason Thread

Clay Travis has been having at the expense of Arkansas:

https://twitter.com/ClayTravisBGID
Old 12-04-12, 02:45 PM   #27
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
AStateNation ‏@AStateNation
Again I have confirmed through multiple sources that Gus Malzahn will be the next Head Football Coach at Auburn.
Old 12-04-12, 02:51 PM   #28
Dr_Evil
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, I thought there was no way that Pitt would have a coaching issue again this year, but now I'm not so sure. I think Wisconsin is the only job Chryst would leave for, and now it is open. I don't know how much interest Alvarez has in him, but I know he has been high on him in the past.
Old 12-04-12, 03:41 PM   #29
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
That's a lot for a guy who has only stayed at his 2 jobs long enough for the guys Brian Kelly recruited to graduate before moving on.
Supposedly, he left Boulder last night w/out signing a contract.

The rumor mill is giving it 50/50 odds of happening.
Old 12-04-12, 04:11 PM   #30
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
On another note, there's been a lot of talk about racism as the reason Jon Embree was fired at Colorado after only 2 years. I agree that racism very well might have played a part in it, but on the other hand, what's the school supposed to do? Embree went 4-21 while at Colorado and this year they were ranked close to last in pretty much every category.

Maybe he's just not a good coach and Colorado wanted to cut ties before things got even worse. As a business owner, I've found that once I know that an employee is no good, I need to get rid of him/her right away. Why continue to employee somebody when I know he/she isn't any good and is harming my business? Even if that person has only been there a short time, if it's obvious to me that I made a bad hire, it's best to just cut bait right away. Why should Colorado be forced to suffer through more bad seasons with a bad coach when they could just fire Embree and move on? This was Embree's first Head Coaching job. Perhaps he's just not cut out to be a Head Coach.
You know, there was an article in the paper about it, when Embree first leveled the charge, but it's not really getting a lot of play here. They were so monumentally bad this year that I think people are having a hard time believing that Embree was the right coach for the job.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 12-04-12, 07:17 PM   #31
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

Goddammit. Now Wisconsin might actually win the RB. Brett was the kind of coach I hoped to see stay in Madison for 20 years. Who are we going to count on to misuse time outs and waste time at the end of a game?
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 12-04-12, 07:49 PM   #32
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizz View Post
Goddammit. Now Wisconsin might actually win the RB. Brett was the kind of coach I hoped to see stay in Madison for 20 years. Who are we going to count on to misuse time outs and waste time at the end of a game?
I'll miss him crying about other the other Big 10 programs recruiting his commitments while he does the same thing.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 12-04-12, 08:27 PM   #33
Bill Needle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recall the sideline reporterette at the B1G championship game asked Barry Alvarez if he still had that itch to go back to coaching. Reporterette said he just got a little twinkle in his eye and walked away without answering. Hmm...
Old 12-04-12, 09:32 PM   #34
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, there are rumblings that Alvarez would return as HC but "would not be calling plays - more of a figurehead" or something to that effect. which seems weird. either you're the HC or you're not.

Honestly, Arkansas look like the rubes here. The only reason Wisky was even in the B1GCG was because OST and PSU were on probation, and with no miracle transfer QBs on the horizon it seems clear their little run atop the division is over. Brett's stock isn't getting any higher, that's for damned sure. I just don't understand how anyone could listen to him talk or look at how he's managed big games and think he's remotely good at what he does. His success was LARGELY due to Chryst...he floundered without him and should have lost those Utah State and Northern Iowa games. He's a blithering idiot. But a cagey one....i'll give him that.
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 12-04-12, 09:35 PM   #35
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

oh, and I guarantee he's doing this just to get away from the Big Ten for a few years and wait out Ferentz. That's the job he wants. he'll have 4 spectacularly mediocre seasons in Arkansas losing to Saban and Miles every year and playing in the Gator Bowl and then Kirk will get fired and he'll get to come home....and the rest of the conference will rejoice
Old 12-04-12, 10:14 PM   #36
Bill Needle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, there are rumblings that Alvarez would return as HC but "would not be calling plays - more of a figurehead" or something to that effect. which seems weird. either you're the HC or you're not.
Rose Bowl only.
Old 12-04-12, 10:16 PM   #37
whoopdido
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Bielema couldn't win with the team he had last year (Wilson, Watt, Ball, good receivers as well) he'll never win anywhere at any time.

No college team has so much talent that coaching skills don't matter. And his coaching skills are sorely lacking. I like the Badgers...they're my second favorite team after Notre Dame. They're so frustrating to watch and frankly Bielema is a big reason why. I swear he doesn't know what he's doing out there.
Old 12-05-12, 02:11 AM   #38
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
oh, and I guarantee he's doing this just to get away from the Big Ten for a few years and wait out Ferentz. That's the job he wants. he'll have 4 spectacularly mediocre seasons in Arkansas losing to Saban and Miles every year and playing in the Gator Bowl and then Kirk will get fired and he'll get to come home....and the rest of the conference will rejoice
Quote:
Tom Lea ‏@ESPNTomLea
Montee Ball briefly addressed reporters. Clearly wasn't in a great mood. Said bielema wants to 'win a championship.' #Badgers
What a douchebag.

Only thing that won a championship was his bank account.

Last edited by B.A.; 12-05-12 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-05-12, 08:27 AM   #39
BrewCrew

Quote:
If Bielema couldn't win with the team he had last year (Wilson, Watt, Ball, good receivers as well) he'll never win anywhere at any time.
Wilson and Watt never played together.
Old 12-05-12, 08:48 AM   #40
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Bryan Fischer ‏@BryanDFischerRT @markkiszla: If Butch Jones doesn't want CU job, been told Fresno's Tim DeRuyter does want it. And he beat CU 69-14.
Old 12-05-12, 08:53 AM   #41
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend

Arkansas has a better chance at "winning a championship" than Stoops claims that Kentucky has but not by much. Unless Arkansas pulls a miracle then they will be no better than 3rd or 4th in the West for the next few years. Alabama/A&M/LSU>Mississippi State>Arkansas/Ole Miss>Auburn(Who knows what happens with Malzahn)
Old 12-05-12, 09:11 AM   #42
aktick
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hell Wisconsin has a better chance than Arkansas...much easier to get lucky and run the table in the B1G (even if the usual suspects are coming back to form a bit), along with almost no difficult non-conference games.

As we've seen is quite obvious, the most important thing for making the championship isn't strength of schedule, it's an undefeated record. What's Bielema gonna do when 3/4 of his schedule isn't a bunch of cupcakes?
Old 12-05-12, 09:24 AM   #43
Dr_Evil
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Florida International fires Mario Cristobal.

He seemed to be one of the top up and coming coaches just last year. He had a bad season this year, but I would think he will find another job soon, perhaps at South Florida.
Old 12-05-12, 10:00 AM   #44
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

B.A., you don't live in CO do you? Did you go to school at CU?

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 12-05-12, 10:58 AM   #45
Bill Needle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Hell Wisconsin has a better chance than Arkansas...much easier to get lucky and run the table in the B1G (even if the usual suspects are coming back to form a bit), along with almost no difficult non-conference games.

As we've seen is quite obvious, the most important thing for making the championship isn't strength of schedule, it's an undefeated record. What's Bielema gonna do when 3/4 of his schedule isn't a bunch of cupcakes?
Not to mention once the playoff starts the B1G champion will almost always get in the final 4, and he just won three straight and had better teams coming than the one this year despite tOSU coming off their sanctions.

I seems a very lateral to downward move in football terms, but I can't blame the guy for making more money. Plus, he will be the be-all and say-all at Arkansas, while Alvarez still had strong influence at Wisconsin. Als, it's like Mike Holmgren once said about why he took on coaching the Packers despite their past decade of awful football, in that if you win there you become like royalty because it means more to their fans than those of other teams. If Bielema won a title at Arkansas they would carve his likeness in a mountain if any exist there.
Old 12-05-12, 11:02 AM   #46
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
B.A., you don't live in CO do you? Did you go to school at CU?
I was born in CO. Went to Mines for a couple of years. Took a class at CU while there. Been a fan since grade school, but have been keeping up w/ them less and less since all of the crap went on w/ Barnett.

I remember when people wanted Neuheisel to go, but now those seem like the glory days.
Old 12-05-12, 11:37 AM   #47
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Old 12-05-12, 11:45 AM   #48
whoopdido
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Wilson and Watt never played together.
Yeah you're right. For some reason I was thinking Watt was a rookie this year. In any event, Wisconsin still had a VERY good team last year, even without Watt.

Most of their losses in recent years have been by just a couple of points and coaching blunders played a part in many of those close losses.
Old 12-05-12, 11:47 AM   #49
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel
RT @McMurphyESPN
: Louisville working on extending Charlie Strong's current 5-year deal sources said. Strong had an offer from Tennessee.
Old 12-05-12, 05:34 PM   #50
Bill Needle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Most of their losses in recent years have been by just a couple of points and coaching blunders played a part in many of those close losses.
The 5 losses this season:

@ Oregon State - lost by 3 (after officials incorrectly overturned an onside kick recovery)
@ Nebraska - lost by 3 (after blowing a 17-point second half lead)
Michigan State - lost by 3 in OT
Ohio State - lost by 7 in OT
@ Penn State - lost by 3 in OT

This is why I fail to see how he could believe he has a better chance of getting to a national championship game at Arkansas. He literally could have gotten to the game this year at Wisconsin. Every loss was a winnable game, and that was with no discernable QB. If Russell Wilson had another year of eligibility left I dare say the Badgers very likely go undefeated.
Sponsored Links