Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-02-12, 05:58 PM   #76
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sports record that will NEVER be broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.
I take it you haven't seen his posts in the Seau thread?
Old 05-02-12, 06:30 PM   #77
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I take it you haven't seen his posts in the Seau thread?
I just did, and I stand corrected.
Old 05-02-12, 06:44 PM   #78
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

He's even brought the shtick to the book forum. Yes, the BOOK forum.
Old 05-03-12, 02:11 AM   #79
zekeburger1979
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Post-season career records in baseball mean nothing historically. Previous baseball greats could play at most 7 post-season games in a season until 1969. A third round was introduced in 1993. Now a baseball player could play 20 games in a single post-season, and we might not be done yet.
That's why I think the record books should reflect the changes in the postseason. Have a pre-divisional era listing, a divisional era listing, and a wild-card era listing, and now a double wild-card listing. Same thing with the NBA, NFL, and NHL. More postseason games = better chance to set the records.

PSN Name ZacharyTF
Old 05-03-12, 03:50 AM   #80
Matt
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
He's even brought the shtick to the book forum. Yes, the BOOK forum.
Wait a minute. There's a Book forum?
Old 05-03-12, 06:15 AM   #81
coli
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeburger1979 View Post
That's why I think the record books should reflect the changes in the postseason. Have a pre-divisional era listing, a divisional era listing, and a wild-card era listing, and now a double wild-card listing. Same thing with the NBA, NFL, and NHL. More postseason games = better chance to set the records.
I think what MLB needs to do is have a record book for each round. You have the World Series record (which has always been a 7 game series, so Yogi Berra or Babe Ruths World Series records can match up to anyone in the present day game.

Then you have an LCS record book (the only difference they had a 5 game series from 1969-84, and a 7 game series from 1985.)

Then you can have an DS record book for all the present day players from 1995-present time.

There is nothing that more annoys me when they talk about Andy Pettite having the most Playoff wins when he played his whole career with 3 rounds of playoffs compared to guys like Whitey Ford who played their whole career with one round of playoffs. YOU CANT COMPARE!
Old 05-03-12, 08:37 AM   #82
Pajiba
Cool New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
You have the World Series record (which has always been a 7 game series, so Yogi Berra or Babe Ruths World Series records can match up to anyone in the present day game.
You know absolutely nothing about baseball history let alone the history of the World Series.

The World Series has in fact NOT always been a 7 game series.

The very first World Series in 1903 between the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Boston Americans was an 8 game series.

The 1912 World Series between the New York Giants and the Boston Red Sox was an 8 game series.

The 1919 World Series between the Cincinnati Reds and the Chicago White(Black) Sox was an 8 game series.

The 1921 World Series between the New York Giants and the New York Yankees was an 8 game series.

On a semi-related tangent, I don't think we will ever seen scab/replacement players employed in place of regular pros in any of the 4 major sports leagues (NFL, mlb, NHL, NBA) again. The owners will shut down the leagues for the duration of any strike rather than face the wrath of the fanboys blubbing about the substandard quality of play.
Old 05-03-12, 08:52 AM   #83
coli
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajiba View Post
You know absolutely nothing about baseball history let alone the history of the World Series.

Ok, lighten up Francis. You're right about that as I forgot that a few World Series before 1925 were not 7 games, but you need to stop insulting people here to make your points. I've seen you post for the last 2 days and acting like a total doucebag to everyone.

Then again, its the internet so there are always people like you who hide behind their computer and act like Mr. Tough Guy.
Old 05-03-12, 09:14 AM   #84
VinVega
Administrator

Pajiba may have to be checked into rage-a-holics. Anyone have the number?
Old 05-03-12, 11:56 AM   #85
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

So, tell me again how the ignore function works?
Old 05-03-12, 12:27 PM   #86
orangecrush
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Quote:

The very first World Series in 1903 between the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Boston Americans was an 8 game series.

The 1912 World Series between the New York Giants and the Boston Red Sox was an 8 game series.

The 1919 World Series between the Cincinnati Reds and the Chicago White(Black) Sox was an 8 game series.

The 1921 World Series between the New York Giants and the New York Yankees was an 8 game series.

On a semi-related tangent, I don't think we will ever seen scab/replacement players employed in place of regular pros in any of the 4 major sports leagues (NFL, mlb, NHL, NBA) again. The owners will shut down the leagues for the duration of any strike rather than face the wrath of the fanboys blubbing about the substandard quality of play.
NFL could. Aside from a few players, the people on the field are just faceless numbers. And we love football more than anything else in America.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 05-03-12, 01:11 PM   #87
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I agree with Chamberlain's records. Even though it's only a single game record, I think the 100 point game is even more impossible to crack than the 50 point average and Robertson's triple double. I think Kobe is the one who said it would probably be broken in his lifetime, but I dunno, when someone gets near 80 or so I'd think you'd use all five of your guys to defend him and let anyone else on the other team score. Even Lebron/Wade/Kobe/Jordan-in-his-prime couldn't score that much more if, say, all five Bobcats players surrounded them, right?
Kobe scored 81 a few years ago against Toronto despite sitting out half of the fourth quarter. 100 points is achievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
I think LeBron probably could.
If ANYONE could come close to averaging a triple double in the current NBA, it'd be LeBron, but I don't think he could actually do it.
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5: A Dance with Dragons
Old 05-03-12, 01:13 PM   #88
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Can you imagine NBA scabs? People that couldn't fill the Bobcats roster would be playing against each other every night. Iverson, Marbury and Antoine Walker would be back, though.
Old 05-03-12, 01:35 PM   #89
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

well we did find out that pajiba hasnt had a job since 2007... i would be mad at the world too...
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 05-03-12, 01:35 PM   #90
Jeremy517
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrg923 View Post
Kobe scored 81 a few years ago against Toronto despite sitting out half of the fourth quarter.
Kobe played all but the last four seconds of the fourth quarter.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...601220LAL.html
Old 05-03-12, 01:48 PM   #91
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Reading about Wilt's game, I still don't think it's possible to replicate. I'd think you'd get malice in the palace pt. 2 before a team let this happen to them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_Ch...100-point_game
Quote:
With six minutes remaining, the Knicks began intentionally fouling any Warrior except Chamberlain, keeping the ball out of the center's hands.[21][51][52] New York also began moving the ball slowly and using as much of the shot clock as possible to leave fewer opportunities for Chamberlain to score.[53] Effectively, they played the opposite of what a normal club would do if they faced a deficit, willingly giving up many easy points instead of making attempts to rally back.[46] Meschery said the Warriors lobbed the ball in from the sideline across the floor directly to Chamberlain, who would use his size and strength to get the ball.[25][50] Chamberlain was the only Warrior to make a field goal in almost four minutes before Meschery made a jump shot at 4:15.[54] Philadelphia began quickly fouling New York with around four minutes left, reciprocating the intentional foul strategy. [55] Warriors coach Frank McGuire at one point pulled out his entire starting five, save Chamberlain, (i.e. forwards Tom Meschery, Al Attles and guards Guy Rodgers and Paul Arizin) and sent in bench players Joe Ruklick, York Larese, Ed Conlin and Ted Luckenbill. The intention was to foul the Knicks, get the ball back after free throws and give Chamberlain the ball. Thus each team spent the last minutes fouling each other.[52] The Warriors ended with 25 personal fouls, and the Knicks with 32, and lost Imhoff and Willie Naulls with six fouls.[21]
Plus he made 28 out of 32 free throws!
Old 05-03-12, 02:03 PM   #92
madcougar
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

Uh oh! Someone figured out how to use Google!
Old 05-03-12, 02:23 PM   #93
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
Kobe played all but the last four seconds of the fourth quarter.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...601220LAL.html
I stand corrected. I could've sworn I remembered hearing about Phil asking Kobe if he wanted to go back in and go for 100, and Kobe saying no.
Old 05-03-12, 02:29 PM   #94
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I stand corrected. I could've sworn I remembered hearing about Phil asking Kobe if he wanted to go back in and go for 100, and Kobe saying no.
There was another crazy scoring game, the one where Kobe had 62 points after 3 quarters against Dallas and he sat out the entire 4th quarter after Phil asked if he wanted to keep playing. You may be mixing it up with that game.

Still, given that Kobe "only" scored 81 during his selfish shooting years and still fell 19 points shy, 100 points is definitely one that won't be broken unless the NBA rules change drastically.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 05-03-12, 02:36 PM   #95
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I think you're confusing this game with the one against Dallas where he scored 62 and sat out the fourth. Had he wanted to, he could have gotten 80 that night pretty easily.

Again : Wilt's numbers were amazing, legit and unrepeatable, but since then the rules have changed and having big men camped under the basket isn't allowed any more. I'm not saying that Shaq or David Robinson would have ever scored 100, but since they scored 61 and 71 respectively with a 3-second rule in place, who's to say?

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.

Last edited by Decker; 05-03-12 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 03:05 PM   #96
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, you guys are right, that's the game I'm thinking of.
Old 05-03-12, 04:03 PM   #97
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

In honor of Jerred Weaver's No-Hitter yesterday, let's not forget Nolan Ryan's 7 seven career No-No's (three more than the second place pitcher-- some guy named Kofax), and Johnny Vander Meer's back-to-back No Hitters in 1938. Both records seem unbreakable -- especially Vanedr Meer's which would require someone to throw three consecutive No-hitters to be broken!

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 05-04-12, 11:41 AM   #98
Quake1028
DVD Talk Hero

They were both mentioned earlier in the thread.
Old 05-06-12, 09:12 PM   #99
JaxComet
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tony Dorsett's 99 yard TD run with only 10 players on offense.
Old 05-07-12, 08:59 PM   #100
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
Actually it looks like my numbers were off.... Favre threw 508 touchdown passes.

Highly doubtful Manning throws 110 more career TD's.

Brees has 281. I would be shocked if he throws 228 more in his career.

Any QB going forward? Sure it could happen I suppose, but again, highly doubtful.
Matt Stafford has 60 and just turned 24...that's a nice headstart

Favre only averaged 27 tds a year over 19 seasons. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone to have a higher rate of production over a shorter career and catch him - especially in the "new NFL" that favors QBs so much. for example, Favre never broke 40 - Stafford did in his first full season. With Calvin inked for the next 7 years there's no reason to believe they won't continue to tear it up for a good long time. And if not Stafford, someone else will come along and do the same....the NFL has changed, and as a result I don't think any passing record is safe.
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Sponsored Links