Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-30-12, 11:43 AM   #51
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Re: Sports record that will NEVER be broken

oscar robertson averaged a triple double for a season... i dont see anyone doing that

and we keep expecting someone to match miami's 'perfect' nfl season, and keep getting disappointed... that one may never fall.

ted williams single season batting record... its hard to imagine anyone else hitting 400 in a season
Old 04-30-12, 11:50 AM   #52
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

Fernando Tatis with his record of 2 grand slams in one inning off of the same pitcher. It's still hard to fathom that this happened in the first place.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 04-30-12, 11:57 AM   #53
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

The continuous game hit streak: Joe Dimaggio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I don't think anyone will come close to Pete Rose's all time hits record.
I concur. And another reason he should be in the HoF. An absolute joke.
Old 04-30-12, 12:06 PM   #54
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Kelso - 5 consecutive wins in the Jockey Club Gold Cup and 5 consecutive Horse of the Year titles.
That brings to mind Wayne Gretzky winning MVP his first eight years in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
ted williams single season batting record... its hard to imagine anyone else hitting 400 in a season
May never happen again, though technically that's not a record

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
Fernando Tatis with his record of 2 grand slams in one inning off of the same pitcher. It's still hard to fathom that this happened in the first place.
Challenges: Comedy 2014 | Horror 2014 | Criterion 2014 | Animation 2014 | Sci-Fi 2014 | Historical 2014 | Make-Your-Own 2014 | Drive-In 2014 | Action 2014 | Academy Award 2014 | TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Leap Day 2012
Old 04-30-12, 01:00 PM   #55
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with Chamberlain's records. Even though it's only a single game record, I think the 100 point game is even more impossible to crack than the 50 point average and Robertson's triple double. I think Kobe is the one who said it would probably be broken in his lifetime, but I dunno, when someone gets near 80 or so I'd think you'd use all five of your guys to defend him and let anyone else on the other team score. Even Lebron/Wade/Kobe/Jordan-in-his-prime couldn't score that much more if, say, all five Bobcats players surrounded them, right?
Old 04-30-12, 01:02 PM   #56
twikoff
DVD Talk God

kerry collins was the starting qb in 4 regular season losses against the falcons.. a few years back..

whichever team he was with played the falcons twice in the first half of the season and lost.. then he was traded, and his new team played them twice in the second half of the season..
Old 04-30-12, 01:03 PM   #57
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I agree with Chamberlain's records. Even though it's only a single game record, I think the 100 point game is even more impossible to crack than the 50 point average and Robertson's triple double. I think Kobe is the one who said it would probably be broken in his lifetime, but I dunno, when someone gets near 80 or so I'd think you'd use all five of your guys to defend him and let anyone else on the other team score. Even Lebron/Wade/Kobe/Jordan-in-his-prime couldn't score that much more if, say, all five Bobcats players surrounded them, right?
of course.. chamberlain scored 100 in a loss
if it was going to result in a loss, i would be glad to let someone put up 100
Old 04-30-12, 01:13 PM   #58
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

John Stockton's 15,806 career assists.
Old 04-30-12, 01:17 PM   #59
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Unless I'm in a tight playoff race at the end of the season or something (and really for a team to be a playoff contender and give up 100 to a single player, they must play in the shallow East), I'll take the loss and prevent the guy from scoring 100.
Old 04-30-12, 01:26 PM   #60
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Unless I'm in a tight playoff race at the end of the season or something (and really for a team to be a playoff contender and give up 100 to a single player, they must play in the shallow East), I'll take the loss and prevent the guy from scoring 100.
I was just thinking about this. The scenario might work out if the scoring machine is playing against a team that has something to play for and is more worried about the win than the dubious honor of giving up 100.
Challenges: Comedy 2014 | Horror 2014 | Criterion 2014 | Animation 2014 | Sci-Fi 2014 | Historical 2014 | Make-Your-Own 2014 | Drive-In 2014 | Action 2014 | Academy Award 2014 | TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Leap Day 2012
Old 04-30-12, 02:23 PM   #61
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Henri Richard's 11 Stanley Cups (trivia: since he was born Feb. 29th, he had more Cups than birthdays in his NHL career).

I thought that was a record in all pro sports but I just read that some Bill Russell dude also won 11 titles in the NBA. How 'bout that.
Old 04-30-12, 02:33 PM   #62
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Roger Federer's 23 consecutive Grand Slam semi-finals (Laver/Lendl are 2nd with 10).
Old 04-30-12, 02:50 PM   #63
Mr. Cinema
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
oscar robertson averaged a triple double for a season... i dont see anyone doing that
I think LeBron probably could.

My Countdown Counting down to: Black Swan
Old 04-30-12, 04:00 PM   #64
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Wrong.
Philadelphia Warriors 169 - New York Knicks 147. March 2, 1962.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 04-30-12, 04:59 PM   #65
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
I think LeBron probably could.
From a few years ago...
Quote:
excerpt

On ABC right now, they’re talking about the question of whether or not LeBron James could ever average a triple-double across the course of a season, the way Oscar Robinson did in the 1961-62 season. Discussion of this issue would benefit from consideration of the question of pace. NBA record-keeping wasn’t sufficiently detailed in the 1960s to calculate pace factor in a fully rigorous manner, but everyone’s understanding is that the game was played much faster in the 60s than it was even in the 1980s which, in turn, were faster than today. For example, in the 61-62 season, the average team took 8619 field goal attempts over the course of an 80 game season. Last season the average team had only 6683 field goal attempts in an 82 game season.
http://thinkprogress.org/yglesias/20...ron/?mobile=nc
Old 04-30-12, 05:22 PM   #66
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Kelso - 5 consecutive wins in the Jockey Club Gold Cup and 5 consecutive Horse of the Year titles.

In addition - Kelso had to carry weights that are unheard of today in horse racing - at least in the U.S.

Carried 130 pounds or more on 24 occasions, winning 13, placing in 5, and finishing third once
Won 62% of his starts (39 out of 63 starts)
Finished in the money in 84% of his starts (53 out of 63)

There was a big uproar when Curlin had to carry 129 lbs. in a Grade 1 race.

Of course, Kelso was a gelding. There was nothing for him to do other than racing.

Last edited by classicman2; 04-30-12 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-30-12, 05:23 PM   #67
mcnabb
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Henri Richard's 11 Stanley Cups (trivia: since he was born Feb. 29th, he had more Cups than birthdays in his NHL career).

I thought that was a record in all pro sports but I just read that some Bill Russell dude also won 11 titles in the NBA. How 'bout that.
These records are pretty safe simply because of expansion over the last 30 years. When Richard played for Montreal, they only had 6 teams in the NHL and now they are up to 30 teams. I believe that Russell played most of his career with 10-12 teams in the NBA, and now they have 30 teams.
Old 05-01-12, 10:09 AM   #68
Pajiba
Cool New Member

Quote:
and we keep expecting someone to match miami's 'perfect' nfl season, and keep getting disappointed... that one may never fall.
That's because every team except the Patriots is coached by and made up of blubbing crybaby's and gutless cowards who care more about 'resting their best players for the playoffs' then doing the only thing that matters in sports, winning.

Let's just look at the Packers last season. they were cruising through the season and the usual pundits were bleating about how they were HTE GREATEST TEAM EVARS!!!!!!!!!!!! and that the '72 Dolphins sucked donkey shit because they didn't play any team with a winning record their entire season, the clear implication being that Miami had been able to pick and choose what teams they played, and utterly ignoring the fact that the Dolphins played the majority of their season with an aging backup as their starting qb.

Anyway, the Packer's organization, being gutless cowards decided that resting their pwecious ittle qb Aaron Rogers was much more important than going 16-0 and having a full head of steam going into the playoffs so they benched him.

Result? The Packers got the shit kicked out of them by a sucky Giants team AT HOME.

Vince Lombardi shit himself over the Packers gutless cowardice last season.
Old 05-01-12, 10:29 AM   #69
adrenaline78
DVD Talk Gold Edition

um.. the packers lost week 14 to the Chiefs, before Rodgers sat.
Old 05-01-12, 11:11 AM   #70
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline78 View Post
um.. the packers lost week 14 to the Chiefs, before Rodgers sat.
forget it, he's rolling.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 05-01-12, 12:30 PM   #71
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Not only did the Packers lose week 14 to the Chiefs with Rodgers in the game, but the one game he sat out Matt Flynn threw for 480 yards and six touchdowns in the win. And those "sucky Giants" were, I dunno, ok in the end I guess. Sorry if I'm missing the sarcasm or something here.
Old 05-01-12, 12:48 PM   #72
wendersfan

Wouldn't surprise me if Messi breaks Pele's scoring 'record', the real one, not the phony numbers that get listed all the time.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 05-01-12, 04:03 PM   #73
Tarantino
DVD Talk Legend

All of the old school pitching records are pretty safe. Ricky has stolen bases locked for life.

XBox Live - Kleeberg
Old 05-02-12, 06:28 PM   #74
JumpCutz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajiba View Post
That's because every team except the Patriots is coached by and made up of blubbing crybaby's and gutless cowards who care more about 'resting their best players for the playoffs' then doing the only thing that matters in sports, winning.

Result? The Packers got the shit kicked out of them by a sucky Giants team AT HOME.
The same sucky Giants team that beat the Patriots (the one team that isn't coached by and made up of blubbing crybaby's and gutless cowards) in the last Super Bowl?

If I recall the Patriots (the one team that isn't coached by and made up of blubbing crybaby's and gutless cowards) were UNDEFEATED (doing the only thing that matters, winning) and LOST to the sucky Giants in another Super Bowl just a couple of years before that.
Old 05-02-12, 06:41 PM   #75
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajiba View Post

Let's just look at the Packers last season. they were cruising through the season and the usual pundits were bleating about how they were HTE GREATEST TEAM EVARS!!!!!!!!!!!! and that the '72 Dolphins sucked donkey shit because they didn't play any team with a winning record their entire season, the clear implication being that Miami had been able to pick and choose what teams they played, and utterly ignoring the fact that the Dolphins played the majority of their season with an aging backup as their starting qb.

Anyway, the Packer's organization, being gutless cowards decided that resting their pwecious ittle qb Aaron Rogers was much more important than going 16-0 and having a full head of steam going into the playoffs so they benched him.

Vince Lombardi shit himself over the Packers gutless cowardice last season.
This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.