Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-02-12, 12:21 AM   #176
Arpeggi
Banned

Re: 2012 NBA Playoffs Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofComedy View Post
What has he really accomplished? Last year the Bulls lose 4-1 in the ECF after having the best record. Then they have the best record again this year and they are struggling with a WEAK 8th seed team.
There's no weak team in the mighty East, man.
Old 05-02-12, 12:31 AM   #177
FanofComedy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
There's no weak team in the mighty East, man.

The Sixers are a JOKE. They only can score if they are on the fast break. They have no half court offense and their leading scorer comes off the bench.

So the bulls coach didn't know any of this before the series?
Old 05-02-12, 12:34 AM   #178
JumpCutz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
What has he really accomplished? Last year the Bulls lose 4-1 in the ECF after having the best record. Then they have the best record again this year and they are struggling with a WEAK 8th seed team.
I think you answered your own question.

Thibodeau is the fastest coach in NBA history to earn 100 career victories.

Oh and...2011 Coach of the year. 112-36 win-loss record. .757 winning percentage.

But yeah...he should be fired.
Old 05-02-12, 12:40 AM   #179
FanofComedy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post

Oh and...2011 Coach of the year. 112-36 win-loss record. .757 winning percentage.

If he can't design a strategy to beat a team whose leading scorer comes of the bench, then that will confirm he is a JOKE. I;m not even a coach and know how to stop the Sixers............."Keep them in a halfcourt offense"
Old 05-02-12, 12:47 AM   #180
Apple Gooncha

By this theory, the Spurs probably should have Fire Popovich last year. I mean, what kind of coach loses in the first round to an 8 seed, right? If he's so good then why haven't the Spurs won a title in 4-5 years? They should probably hire someone that posts on message boards instead.
Old 05-02-12, 12:50 AM   #181
FanofComedy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha View Post
By this theory, the Spurs probably should have Fire Popovich last year. I mean, what kind of coach loses in the first round to an 8 seed, right? If he's so good then why haven't the Spurs won a title in 4-5 years? They should probably hire someone that posts on message boards instead.
And this is a STUPID EXAMPLE because Pop already had 4 rings when his team lost in the 1st round. The stupid bulls coach has NO RINGS or no appearances in the finals
Old 05-02-12, 12:58 AM   #182
JumpCutz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
The stupid bulls coach has NO RINGS or no appearances in the finals
Um...he hasn't even finished his second season as their coach.

That's a pretty short leash you have there....FanofComedy.
Old 05-02-12, 12:59 AM   #183
Apple Gooncha

Quote:
And this is a STUPID EXAMPLE because Pop already had 4 rings when his team lost in the 1st round. The stupid bulls coach has NO RINGS or no appearances in the finals
Doesn't sound any more crazy to me than firing a coach that has gone 112-36 in his first two seasons.
Old 05-02-12, 01:27 AM   #184
FanofComedy
Banned

Quote:
Um...he hasn't even finished his second season as their coach.

That's a pretty short leash you have there....FanofComedy.

I'm not expecting him to make the finals without rose but I do expect him to come up with a plan to beat a weak sixers team
Old 05-02-12, 01:29 AM   #185
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Well how come he can't come up with a strategy to beat a team whose starting 5 only has one offensive threat?
Well losing the league's most valuable player doesn't help. The Bulls don't exactly have a ton of offensive threats either, and the Sixers actually showed they could play decent ball earlier in the season. We'll see how the Bulls do the rest of the series.

The rest of this discussion is pretty crazy though; the Bulls have been one of the best defensive teams in the league under Thibodeau, has had the best record in the league, and making it to the ECF in his rookie year. That's pretty damn impressive, and I think you might be the only one that follows the league to call for his head. Let alone after the loss of 1 game.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 05-02-12, 01:32 AM   #186
FanofComedy
Banned

Quote:
Doesn't sound any more crazy to me than firing a coach that has gone 112-36 in his first two seasons.
He destriyed the bulls title hopes by having rose in the game when it was out of reach.
Old 05-02-12, 01:38 AM   #187
FanofComedy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Well losing the league's most valuable player doesn't help. The Bulls don't exactly have a ton of offensive threats either, and the Sixers actually showed they could play decent ball earlier in the season. We'll see how the Bulls do the rest of the series.

The rest of this discussion is pretty crazy though; the Bulls have been one of the best defensive teams in the league under Thibodeau, has had the best record in the league, and making it to the ECF in his rookie year. That's pretty damn impressive, and I think you might be the only one that follows the league to call for his head. Let alone after the loss of 1 game.
He also left john lucas on the bench in the 3rd qtr when he was the main reason the team led at the half
Old 05-02-12, 02:23 AM   #188
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the Bulls should fire that bum... Let him g o to the Clippers.
Old 05-02-12, 02:23 AM   #189
gotrice487
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
He destriyed the bulls title hopes by having rose in the game when it was out of reach.
Let me first start by saying I am a huge Heat fan...just felt like I should put this out there since my response might be biased.

I've coached high school ball and I completely understand Thibs mindset for keeping Rose in the game. This is the playoffs and not just a regular season game. You take no chances in the playoffs. If you can win by 40, you win by 40 and if you happen to decide to keep your starters in the game so be it. Basketball is a game of runs and you never know what the tiniest bit of momentum might mean

With or without Rose, I never felt like the Bulls would beat Miami based purely upon the fact that there isn't enough offensive firepower around Rose. Well consistent offensive threats anyway. The fact that Thibs has done what he has this season without Rose is amazing and probably should have won Coach of the Year again. Tonight was one game. It does not necessarily reflect how the rest of the series will play out. And give the Sixers some credit cause they shot lights out in the second half
Old 05-02-12, 02:39 AM   #190
Apple Gooncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice487 View Post
Let me first start by saying I am a huge Heat fan...just felt like I should put this out there since my response might be biased.

I've coached high school ball and I completely understand Thibs mindset for keeping Rose in the game. This is the playoffs and not just a regular season game. You take no chances in the playoffs. If you can win by 40, you win by 40 and if you happen to decide to keep your starters in the game so be it. Basketball is a game of runs and you never know what the tiniest bit of momentum might mean

With or without Rose, I never felt like the Bulls would beat Miami based purely upon the fact that there isn't enough offensive firepower around Rose. Well consistent offensive threats anyway. The fact that Thibs has done what he has this season without Rose is amazing and probably should have won Coach of the Year again. Tonight was one game. It does not necessarily reflect how the rest of the series will play out. And give the Sixers some credit cause they shot lights out in the second half
Clearly, the logical thing to do here is to fire Thibs and Lionel Hollins right now, and neither should ever coach again.

Also, I'm betting Rose was wanting back in the game. An argument could be made that the coach has the responsibility of telling a player no, but let's be honest, what Thibs did with Rose the other night is something that happens pretty regularly around the league.

Wade played 5 minutes in the 4th quarter against the Knicks the other night while the Heat were winning by 30+. Did he really HAVE to be in the game? Probably not, but I'm not going to give Spoelstra any crap for it. The Bulls were unlucky. Rose essentially got hurt jumping, which could happen to practically any NBA player at any time.
Old 05-02-12, 03:01 AM   #191
gotrice487
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Clearly, the logical thing to do here is to fire Thibs and Lionel Hollins right now, and neither should ever coach again.

Also, I'm betting Rose was wanting back in the game. An argument could be made that the coach has the responsibility of telling a player no, but let's be honest, what Thibs did with Rose the other night is something that happens pretty regularly around the league.

Wade played 5 minutes in the 4th quarter against the Knicks the other night while the Heat were winning by 30+. Did he really HAVE to be in the game? Probably not, but I'm not going to give Spoelstra any crap for it. The Bulls were unlucky. Rose essentially got hurt jumping, which could happen to practically any NBA player at any time.
Very good points. I mean has D-Rose ever NOT wanted to be in a game? You could just see the pain in his face every single time this season he had to be on the bench due to injury. You can only cheer on your teammates so much when you really just want to be out there making a difference on the court.

Same goes for Wade, I am pretty sure if he did not want to be out there, Spo would have gladly let James Jones play the 4th quarter in its entirety. Basketball is such an unpredictable sport and with the constant change of direction, running and jumping that these guys go through night in and night out, it realistically could have been anyone but the only reason why certain people are so quick to judge is because it happened to a superstar and the reigning MVP
Old 05-02-12, 10:51 AM   #192
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

The Lakers' pieces are really coming together right about now. Not sure if they're legit Finals contenders or if its just a horrible, horrible match-up nightmare for the Nuggets. In either case, this looks like a totally different team from the one that struggled mightily against the seriously undermanned Hornets team in last year's opening round. I sort of hope the Lakers drop one game in Denver because they'll need Metta against the Thunder and don't want to face them twice in OKC without his active defense on Durant.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 05-02-12, 12:36 PM   #193
Matt
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I sort of hope the Lakers drop one game in Denver because they'll need Metta against the Thunder and don't want to face them twice in OKC without his active defense on Durant.
Rooting for a Lakers sweep for the same reason.
Old 05-02-12, 12:38 PM   #194
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

After that Clippers comeback the other day, I don't think you can say any lead is safe... but yeah, Rose could've got injured walking off the court, seemed like a freak accident to me and no way you can blame Thibs for that.
Old 05-02-12, 12:44 PM   #195
FanofComedy
Banned

Quote:

Don't ever get me started on Lionel Hollins. It's disgraceful for any coach to allow his team to lose a 27 point lead in the second half of a playoff game. What was he doing on the sideline when the lead was vanishing? sleeping?? How can a NBA coach just sit back and do nothing when he sees a big lead being erased in front of his eyes? And yes if they lose this series his job should be questioned because you cannot allow things like that to happen in a playoff game
Old 05-02-12, 12:53 PM   #196
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Shorter FanOfComedy: 29 coaches should be fired every year because they didn't win a title.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 05-02-12, 01:00 PM   #197
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't the running joke that the NBA coach of the year award is a curse? I remember there were a string of winners (Avery Johnson with the Mavs, Sam Mitchell with the Raptors, Byron Scott with the Hornets, and Mike Brown with the Cavs) who were fired within a couple of seasons. So yeah, anyone who doesn't win a title is usually on the hot seat...

In actuality it's probably a mix of heightened expectations and not appeasing your stars. Doesn't matter how good of a coach you are, if the players start tuning you out (hello Mike Brown and Vinnie) you're in trouble.
Old 05-02-12, 01:14 PM   #198
bootsy
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
The Sixers are a JOKE. They only can score if they are on the fast break. They have no half court offense and their leading scorer comes off the bench.

So the bulls coach didn't know any of this before the series?
They are a joke because they played to their strength to win a game. I've heard and seen it all. This goes right up there with 'Shaq is a joke, all he does is dunk'.
Old 05-02-12, 01:57 PM   #199
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Clearly your basketball analysis skills are impeccable.
Quote:
You were saying??????????????????????????????
24 hours later and I still can't believe it.

Quote:
I knew atleast one of them would win but I wasn't expecting the Bulls to get blown out.

I think it's best if the Bulls coach gets fired if they lose this series. Not only was he the reason Rose was injured but tonight he keeps a guy on the bench who was responsible for a 8 point lead at the half.
Quote:
Well how come he can't come up with a strategy to beat a team whose starting 5 only has one offensive threat?
Quote:
You have officially destroyed all credibility that you have as a knowledgeable basketball fan. I'll reply to this one point and then I won't be addressing your silly posts anymore: tell the Los Angeles Clippers that that game was out of reach. I've been a Bulls fan for 22 years and I 100% support Thibs having Rose in at that point. That injury could've happened anytime, anywhere.

Quote:

Seriously. Unbelievable.

Also, Chicago will not lose this series. Philadelphia cannot beat the Bulls 4/7 games. With or without Rose. And neither can Boston, in case they beat Atlanta (they won't).
My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 05-02-12, 02:06 PM   #200
Mr. Cinema
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrg923 View Post
Also, Chicago will not lose this series. Philadelphia cannot beat the Bulls 4/7 games. With or without Rose. And neither can Boston, in case they beat Atlanta (they won't).
A healthy Boston team can certainly beat the Bulls. I think Boston has a shot at beating Miami as well, who they owned in the regular season. Yes, post season is a different beast, but this Boston group has been tested plenty of times before.

I expect Boston will also finish off the Hawks. That team has no heart. They'll fade like they always do.

My Countdown Counting down to: Black Swan
Sponsored Links