Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-29-12, 07:51 PM   #76
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2012 NBA Playoffs Thread

Ouch, no discussion today?

Went to the Laker game today, glad I got to see a good one I knew Bynum was blocking a bunch of shots, but I had no idea he got the triple double. Pretty awesome. I'm impressed the Laker defense pretty much made Ty Lawson a non-factor, as he was the guy I was most afraid of.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 04-29-12, 07:56 PM   #77
Mr. Cinema
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Ouch, no discussion today?

Went to the Laker game today, glad I got to see a good one I knew Bynum was blocking a bunch of shots, but I had no idea he got the triple double. Pretty awesome. I'm impressed the Laker defense pretty much made Ty Lawson a non-factor, as he was the guy I was most afraid of.
Gasol almost had a triple double as well: 13 pts, 8 assts, 8 rebs. Would have been awesome if 2 seven footers had triple doubles in the same game. Ebanks had another nice game. He sort of reminds me of Trevor Ariza.
Old 04-29-12, 09:39 PM   #78
Philzilla

Rondo, what a dumbass
Old 04-29-12, 10:09 PM   #79
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, pretty dumb to bump a ref in the playoffs.

Old 04-29-12, 10:10 PM   #80
Jam Master Jay
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah that was pretty dumb Rondo...1 game suspension at the minimum. Got Clips and Mem on and have my Clippers flop count spread sheet open and ready to go!
Old 04-29-12, 10:14 PM   #81
Barth

No excuse for Rondo, bad move, but that was an even worse call IMO. These game ones have all had a bad case of home court officiating. Almost to the point in most of the games I stop watching and just have it on in the background.
Old 04-29-12, 11:26 PM   #82
FanofComedy
Banned

Surprises of the Playoff Weekend

1. Mavs choking a 9 point lead late in the game in 20 secs

2. Boston losing big in Atlanta early because the hawks are frauds

3. Knicks getting blown out in Miami

4. The magic winning in Indiana without Dwight Howard
Old 04-30-12, 12:10 AM   #83
The Cow
Premium Member

Potential huge choke job going on in Memphis.
Old 04-30-12, 12:20 AM   #84
The Cow
Premium Member

Choke job complete. Wow.
Old 04-30-12, 12:20 AM   #85
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Holy crap that was crazy.

Old 04-30-12, 12:40 AM   #86
Apple Gooncha

Wow. I turned it on just to watch something while I ate dinner, and I caught about the last 7 1/2 minutes (pretty much the entire 28-3 run).
Old 04-30-12, 12:58 AM   #87
JumpCutz
DVD Talk Legend

Fucking insane. I still think Memphis wins the series, but what an utter failure by the Grizz.
Old 04-30-12, 09:49 AM   #88
Schloob1
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rondo should get 2 games. 1 for bumping the ref, and the other for coming up with a joke of an excuse why it happened. The ref stopped and my "momentum" carried me into the ref. I would be more lenient on these guys if they would just fess up and admit the truth, "I let my emotions get the best of me and did the wrong thing". Man up and just speak the truth.
Old 04-30-12, 10:39 AM   #89
Sonny Corinthos
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is there any talk of realignment? It's crazy a team from California has to go all the to Tennessee to a play "Western Conference" playoff game.
Old 04-30-12, 11:25 AM   #90
Jam Master Jay
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Is there any talk of realignment? It's crazy a team from California has to go all the to Tennessee to a play "Western Conference" playoff game.
Or how about the "Northwest" division having Minnesota & Oklahoma City in it?

I still can't believe the Clippers came back and won that. I had tuned out to watch Animation Domination and switched back over to ESPN and saw they had come back and won. Never would have thought Nick Young had it in him to hit all those clutch 3's in a playoff game....I could see him shooting the Clips right out of the game the next time around though. Crazy start to the Playoffs this year.
Old 04-30-12, 11:38 AM   #91
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay View Post
Or how about the "Northwest" division having Minnesota & Oklahoma City in it?

Might need teams to move

Old 04-30-12, 11:41 AM   #92
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

Nice to read about the Clippers comeback win.

Didn't see the game, but Ralph Lawler must have been going apeshit crazy.
Old 04-30-12, 12:58 PM   #93
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post
Rondo should get 2 games. 1 for bumping the ref, and the other for coming up with a joke of an excuse why it happened. The ref stopped and my "momentum" carried me into the ref. I would be more lenient on these guys if they would just fess up and admit the truth, "I let my emotions get the best of me and did the wrong thing". Man up and just speak the truth.
I just watched it, and I'll openly admit that I'm a Celtics fan and my judgment is biased, but I didn't see that as a real "chest bump" like I had heard about. The official started walking away and Rondo started following him and stumbled a little on the ref's foot, and the ref stopped, which is when Rondo made contact. It really didn't look like a "chest bump" deserving of a suspension to me. If the ref keeps walking (which is what looked like would happen, he turned away from Rondo and started walking) this never happens.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-30-12, 12:59 PM   #94
FanofComedy
Banned

The Memphis coach should be fired and never coach again in the NBA
Old 04-30-12, 01:14 PM   #95
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

In the post-game interview, Chris Paul basically said something like he had to yell at Del Negro to let him and the other starters back in the game because he thought they could still win this. It was an impressive comeback (and I love Griffin basically treating the ball like a hot potato as soon as he grabbed that rebound), but I still wonder how much of their winning is Paul leading the team as opposed to Del Negro's coaching.

They also lost Caron Butler to an injury, which worked pretty well for the last team he was on. And I didn't realize Rudy Gay was so tall.

That Durant shot/lucky bounce... geez.

Lakers big men just look gigantic against Denver. Gasol was basically just passing over the head of whoever was guarding him. And they didn't even need to feed the post all that much on offense. Where the heck did all that bench scoring come from?
Old 04-30-12, 01:17 PM   #96
FanofComedy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
In the post-game interview, Chris Paul basically said something like he had to yell at Del Negro to let him and the other starters back in the game because he thought they could still win this. It was an impressive comeback (and I love Griffin basically treating the ball like a hot potato as soon as he grabbed that rebound), but I still wonder how much of their winning is Paul leading the team as opposed to Del Negro's coaching.

They also lost Caron Butler to an injury, which worked pretty well for the last team he was on. And I didn't realize Rudy Gay was so tall.

That Durant shot/lucky bounce... geez.

Lakers big men just look gigantic against Denver. Gasol was basically just passing over the head of whoever was guarding him. And they didn't even need to feed the post all that much on offense. Where the heck did all that bench scoring come from?

Chris Paul made it clear that he doesn't like the coach and made him look like a fool in that post game interview
Old 04-30-12, 01:21 PM   #97
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Sports leagues will always have alignment problems. As soon as you reconfigure, someone will move and you'll be out of whack again. Iowa in the Pacific Coast League is one of the weirder ones.

Don't talk to me about why Oklahoma City is in the Northwest Division.
Challenges: Comedy 2014 | Horror 2014 | Criterion 2014 | Animation 2014 | Sci-Fi 2014 | Historical 2014 | Make-Your-Own 2014 | Drive-In 2014 | Action 2014 | Academy Award 2014 | TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Leap Day 2012
Old 04-30-12, 01:25 PM   #98
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I just watched it, and I'll openly admit that I'm a Celtics fan and my judgment is biased, but I didn't see that as a real "chest bump" like I had heard about. The official started walking away and Rondo started following him and stumbled a little on the ref's foot, and the ref stopped, which is when Rondo made contact. It really didn't look like a "chest bump" deserving of a suspension to me. If the ref keeps walking (which is what looked like would happen, he turned away from Rondo and started walking) this never happens.
I agree that he clearly stumbled on the ref's foot and it helped carry him into the ref, but the only thing is that Rondo didn't seem apologetic or try and stop himself during or after the bump happened. He should have sold it better I don't think it deserves a suspension either though.

Old 04-30-12, 01:48 PM   #99
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I agree that he clearly stumbled on the ref's foot and it helped carry him into the ref, but the only thing is that Rondo didn't seem apologetic or try and stop himself during or after the bump happened. He should have sold it better I don't think it deserves a suspension either though.
It'll be interesting to see what happens. I heard Stern on the radio, and all he said was that there is a clear rule to keep your hands off the officials, unless you're blatantly tripped by another player. He didn't give any indication on a possible ruling, but this seems like the "leaving the bench" rule where it's pretty clear cut regardless of intent.

Celtics would seem to have no chance without Rondo. They got pretty much blown out by a Hawks team starting Jason Collins at center and with Joe Johnson forgetting his contacts in the car. Garnett's not going to play as badly as he did, but still, Jason Collins playing 32 minutes? And you let Tracy McGrady dunk?
Old 04-30-12, 01:56 PM   #100
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Really? You're still wondering? I thought it has always been obvious that they're not winning because of Vinnie.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Sponsored Links