Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-14-12, 03:33 AM   #151
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: My Wrestling Retro Journal: 1993-1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I suppose the rationale goes with the wrestling-soap opera analogy ... different actors play the same character all the time in soaps, so why not in wrestling (Vince must've thought). Of course it doesn't really work like that (with the exception of heavily costumed characters, like Doink).

Here's an interview with Jim Cornette on the subject. As always with Cornette, stay away if you can't take some salty language

I love how, when having to catalog Diesel's moveset, Cornette only got to 6. And that includes his hairflip
I need to watch more interviews with Cornette...this was fantastic.
My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 05-14-12, 09:53 AM   #152
brainee
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm copying ScissorPuppies strategy of replying to you, since it's a lot easier with your long multi-part posts

I can't get it to embed (what's the code?)

On youtube, click on "Share" and then the embed option. Cut and paste the code from there.

-Honest question - was Bob Holly EVER over? I never, ever liked him.

I think he was pretty over when he later teamed with Crash (their "superheavyweight" gimmick).

-Oh for fuck's sake...Knuckleball Schwartz debuts and rants about the bsaeball strike. *sigh* Was this guy anyone I know?

The Brooklyn Brawler! aka Steve Lombardi

-Someone mentioned that the live crowd shit all over this match, but they really didn't...they were somewhat into it

For the main event at an elite PPV (2nd in prestige to Wrestlemania), being "somewhat into it" is an awful crowd response IMO. Didn't the announcers try to cover it up by explaining the crowd's relative silence because they were just confused and in awe at the sight of 2 Undertakers? Bad booking to end the show with this.

-Great. Lawler's midget Queasy and ANOTHER midget king come out. If this leads to a Survivor Series match I'm shooting myself.

It's been nice knowing you then.

Old 05-14-12, 09:55 AM   #153
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure Bob Holly was ever over. I mean he got some rub from Crash but Bob himself was always a crowd killer.
Old 05-14-12, 04:16 PM   #154
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
-Someone mentioned that the live crowd shit all over this match, but they really didn't...they were somewhat into it

For the main event at an elite PPV (2nd in prestige to Wrestlemania), being "somewhat into it" is an awful crowd response IMO. Didn't the announcers try to cover it up by explaining the crowd's relative silence because they were just confused and in awe at the sight of 2 Undertakers? Bad booking to end the show with this.
True...good points there. And yeah, they did. My definition of "shitting all over the match" is more along the lines of booing/negative chants, so that's what I was expecting.

Quote:
-Great. Lawler's midget Queasy and ANOTHER midget king come out. If this leads to a Survivor Series match I'm shooting myself.

It's been nice knowing you then.

I was afraid that was going to happen. Well, that'll be an automatic fast forward.
Old 05-14-12, 04:51 PM   #155
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Click on the Cornette link on that page where he talks about John L. That's even funnier.
Old 05-14-12, 06:29 PM   #156
ScissorPuppy
DVD Talk Special Edition

-DiBiase watching from a pressbox, except the arena is so cloudy from Diesel's pyro that you really can't even see him.

This is something I HATED from the 94-95 WWF tv production. It really starts to get bad down the road, and not only for Diesel. They fill the entrance with lighting fog, and that shit seeps into the ring, looks like the arena is on fire. Really is evident on Superstars and some episodes of Raw (due to smaller arenas).

-Weird...Summerslam is on a Monday this year.

From 88-94 (except for 92, which was prerecorded due to a time difference) SummerSlam was a monday night event. In 1995 when they started the In Your House PPV's Sunday became the staple PPV night.

-What? Jack Tunney has hired Leslie Nielsen to figure out the Undertaker situation? Huh?

For whatever reason, Vince felt using mid-level celebrities as promotional figures for his ppvs was a good idea during this time. Chuck Norris shows up at Survivor Series. He was trying anything to bring in more viewers (except make the product better).

-Honest question - was Bob Holly EVER over? I never, ever liked him.
As Bob "Spark Plug" Holly, Thurman "Sparky" Plugg or Bob Holly. Not really that I can remember. As stated before me, Hardcore Holly did have some success during the Hardcore title days.

-Neidhart vs. Jim Powers. Isn't Powers the WCW jobber that turns into The Renegade (their Warrior knockoff)?

Rick Williams was the Renegade. This was however Powers final match with the WWF, he went to WCW later in 94 but despite being told otherwise he remained a jobber.

-Vince McMahon is back! Was he acquitted on all charges? If Hogan was the star witness for the prosecution, did he work them the whole time? Seems odd that their star witness would offer absolutely nothing to their case...

They put a lot of faith in Nailz as a wittness as well, but evidently he ended up loosing it on the stand and looking like a crazy person. The big news was that Hogan admitted using Steroids, but he said Vince never asked or told him to.

-McMahon seems incredibly jacked to be back on RAW...super enthusiastic on commentary. Unfortunately that doesn't translate to being good. McMahon was a commentator before he took over for his dad, right?

Yeah he started out on Commentary. I always liked him as a commentator, he knew how to sell the product. But he did at times get way to jacked on the mic.

-Obviously the match doesn't end this way, but other than Warrior/Hogan, Tatanka/Luger is a rare occasion of a prominent face vs. face match. Were there any other big ones prior to this?

Hart vs. Bulldog at SummerSlam 92, although Bulldog started to turn heelish with his comments before the match. He was the good guy on his home turf.

-The entire card revealed for Summerslam three weeks prior. I miss those days where you knew what you were getting when you ordered a PPV.

From 93-95 I subscribed to the WWF magazine and PPv previews would be in an issue two months before the actual event. Most of the time the main events were the same, but the mid card was changed up. They stopped doing this in 95, with the new monthly PPV schedule they couldn't keep up.

They're talking about Backlund staring at his hands and going into a catatonic state...so that makes sense that they were considering the Papa Shango thing. That would've been lame though.

I had heard the Shango thing was axed because they didn't want to take away from the "Supernaturalness" of the Undertaker angle. Seeing that Kama shows up in early 95 it seems likely that Shango was resigned for a Fall 94 debut, it was axed and a few months later he shows up repackaged.

-Oh for fuck's sake...Knuckleball Schwartz debuts and rants about the bsaeball strike. *sigh* Was this guy anyone I know?

He was the "brooklyn brawler" Steve Lombardi. He still works for the company backstage last I heard. I don't know which came first but this character was also called MVP "Most Violent Player".

-Looks like this is a two hour show...don't see that very often at this point in the WWF. Crappy camerawork, since you can see the "Monday Night RAW" banners in the arena. lol

Yeah, trying to save a buck. These tv tapings used to be 4 or 5 hours long.
No wonder the crowd seemed dead sometimes. The least they could do is use just the WWF logo banners. Having the Raw banners made it obvious it was pre-taped and took away from the excitement.

-What the hell was Icopro?

Bodybuilding supplement that was designed to be a promo item with the failed WBF. After WBF folded, WWF started advertising it mostly on Raw. Luger was the face of the product, some have speculated it was one of the reasons Vince turned him Face in 93, to see if him being a good guy would help sell. It didn't.

-Summerslam opens with Savage's music hitting. I honestly didn't know he was in the WWF at this point...I keep waiting on him not to show up anymore, lol. I think he's just showing up here for no reason though, as Lawler/McMahon are the announcers.

I think he was labeled as the "master of ceremonies" or some shit like that for Summerslam. If I remember correctly he officially leaves WWF in October 94. Seems like you'll be there soon, Vince announces it on Raw.
Savage wasn't on TV much in his last few months, he did however wrestle a few house shows. Savage wrestled Bret Hart for the world title and lost.
Evidently this was his parting gift, a classic match to go out on. Except it wasn't on tv and nobody really new about. Seems like Savage, Bret and the fans were robbed. Savage was willing to do what Hogan wasn't, Vince didn't seem to care.

-Slowly starting to show HBK's ego getting in the way, as Diesel came out first, but Michaels ran around him so he could pose first for the camera.

Once the team breaks up, that clip is used over and over again to show when the cracks began.

-If it weren't for the lousy undercard, the top 4 matches on this show are solid. But Mabel/Jarrett? Yuck. Mabel is SO horrible...he may honestly be my least favorite wrestler in the WWF right now. Jarrett wins after Mabel misses a sit down. Lame.

I NEVER understood why Mabel had a job, much less was KOTR and a world title contender. As apart of M.O.M. I guess it worked, I still don't understand. Vince just liked the BIG guys...

-Clip from Superstars, where Adam Bomb issued an open challenge to Bam Bam Bigelow. Yawn. Adam Bomb = Wrath from WCW, right?

Yep, then went on to just be Bryan Clark and teamed with Brian Adams (Crush) to form Kronik. I always thought this guy had some good skill and ring presence. Just unfortunately for him, he was around in the mid 90's and got stuck with a stupid gimmick.

-Luger beats up "The Executioner". This guy's been a jobber in the past, but I know at some point after Bearer turns on Undertaker, he brings the Executioner in after Taker. So was he a big deal at some point?

The mask/name is generic. His main runs featured Buddy Rose in the 80's and Terry Gordy played the role in 96. Any other appearances was usually by a jobber.

-Last week I said they'd already announced Yoko/Taker for the Survivor Series...but apparently it's for the "Heart Attack Tour". Here's a Paul Bearer/Taker promo for it...is it normal to do angles for a house show tour? That seems...weird.

On the syndicated shows, they used to do local ads/promos, but this was a rare thing. I guess they figured the match was going all over the country so why not advertise it? Kinda odd to have the match night after night and promote it, only to try and get people to buy it on PPV a month later.

-McMahon states that Samu "has been a no-show the last few days, and Diesel and Shawn Michaels are taking credit for it". They're saying Samu quit...legit or storyline?
-The Headshrinkers hit the ring to take out HBK and Diesel, except Samu's not there, and it kinda looks like The Barbarian...Albano says he's "Sionne". Is that the Barbarian?

Samu was injured and decided not to return to wrestling. Yep, that's Barbarian, "Sionne" is his real name. Evidently the timing was perfect, Barbarian was prepping a return around the same time Samu was injured.
So they just gave him a new gimmick.

-Ah, nevermind...KKB joined the MDC at Superstars two days prior to this.

The New Generation (AKA the reason why Vince didn't want Savage in the ring), Um we'll be right back with King Kong Bundy and Bob Backlund in action. TNG was a failed brand, might have worked if half the wrestlers were actually "New", or atleast not old guys from the 80's.

-I have to say...Backlund may be the most overall entertaining character in the entire time I've been doing this.

I really enjoyed Backlund, I don't know where he was from 84-93. But this new character he ran with was classic.
Old 05-14-12, 07:50 PM   #157
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1.) I used to look forward to getting the WWF magazine in the mail as a kid. Loved knowing the next PPV card early.

2.) Dear god, I hated those ICOPRO ads.
Old 05-14-12, 08:02 PM   #158
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy View Post
The New Generation (AKA the reason why Vince didn't want Savage in the ring), Um we'll be right back with King Kong Bundy and Bob Backlund in action. TNG was a failed brand, might have worked if half the wrestlers were actually "New", or atleast not old guys from the 80's.
I didn't mention it, but I thought it was really funny that when Bulldog was accepting Neidhart's challenge on the King's Court, he referred to himself as part of the New Generation.

Last edited by argh923; 05-14-12 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 08:52 PM   #159
ScissorPuppy
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by argh923 View Post
I didn't mention it, but I thought it was really funny that when Bulldog was accepting Neidhart's challenge on the King's Court, he referred to himself as part of the New Generation.
Yeah right! Bulldog and Hart had been in the WWF since 85/86. Sure they were younger, but could they REALLY be considered the NEW Generation?
Old 05-15-12, 01:33 PM   #160
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I'm not sure Bob Holly was ever over. I mean he got some rub from Crash but Bob himself was always a crowd killer.
Bob "Sparky Plugs" Holly got a little more over near the end of his time with WWE in his Hardcore Holly mode particularly when he had the hardcore match in ECW with RVD and her got that huge cut on his back. The crowd was into him them, otherwise no.
Old 05-15-12, 02:25 PM   #161
BrewCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy View Post
Yeah right! Bulldog and Hart had been in the WWF since 85/86. Sure they were younger, but could they REALLY be considered the NEW Generation?
Something similar was mentioned briefly in the Hart/Michaels dvd as Hart had wondered when the dinosaurs were going to leave so he would finally get his chance at the top and when he finally got to the top Michaels along with the rest of the clique considered Hart a dinosaur and they were really the new generation.
Old 05-15-12, 08:27 PM   #162
TheKing
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, in looking up information on the Undertaker/Underfaker feud, I found something pretty funny.

Brian Lee and Mark Calaway were real life friends, which is how Lee got the spot, well that and the fact that he looked a lot like Taker. Lee later came back to the WWF as Chainz, part of the D.O.A. with his real life cousins Ron and Don Harris (Blu brothers, Skull and 8 Ball, etc.).

It was at this time that Taker and Lee had a real life falling out, which would lead to his WWF release. As it turns out, Lee decided to play the imposter Undertaker in another venue, that being the bedroom. Lee had an affair with Undertaker's first wife.

That wife was not Sara, the one that DDP kidnapped during the Invasion angle. Sara was wife #2.
Old 05-15-12, 08:50 PM   #163
Shamus McAnally
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
You know, in looking up information on the Undertaker/Underfaker feud, I found something pretty funny.

Brian Lee and Mark Calaway were real life friends, which is how Lee got the spot, well that and the fact that he looked a lot like Taker. Lee later came back to the WWF as Chainz, part of the D.O.A. with his real life cousins Ron and Don Harris (Blu brothers, Skull and 8 Ball, etc.).

It was at this time that Taker and Lee had a real life falling out, which would lead to his WWF release. As it turns out, Lee decided to play the imposter Undertaker in another venue, that being the bedroom. Lee had an affair with Undertaker's first wife.

That wife was not Sara, the one that DDP kidnapped during the Invasion angle. Sara was wife #2.
Wow. I'd never heard that. Pretty interesting stuff.

My DVD list
Old 05-16-12, 09:50 PM   #164
Joseph L

A couple of various comments..

- I thought Glen Jacobs did a decent job with the fake Diesel, but the fake Razor was a disaster. They probably could have kept Diesel around if not for the Jim Ross crap.

- Try to find one of the interviews with Scott Hall explaining the origins of the Razor Ramon character. Basically he says it was a joke and he was just quoting lines from Scarface, but Vince and Pat Patterson had apparently never heard of it and thought it was all original material, calling Hall a genius, etc.
Old 05-17-12, 12:53 AM   #165
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWF Monday Night RAW - 11.7.94
-Bret Hart & The British Bulldog open up against Owen Hart & Jim Neidhart.
-McMahon and LAWLER on RAW. Did I miss Savage's exit?
-Owen in Backlund's corner at Survivor Series, and Bulldog in Bret's corner, and "for the first time in WWF Championship history, the match will be held under Submission Rules." There seriously hadn't been a submission match prior to this?
-McMahon announces that Savage has not signed an extension with the WWF, and thanks him for all of his contributions to the WWF.
-1-2-3 Kid on the King's Court...Kid's facing Backlund next week. Backlund ran all crazy into the ring and tried to slap the Chicken Wing on Kid, but Kid kicked him out of the ring, and now Bret randomly comes out to save the Kid, even though he didn't need it. Then Neidhart and Owen come out for some random reason.
-Doink wins a squash, and some shit happens with all the midgets. I skipped it because I don't care.
-Bret Hart stuttering all over himself during a backstage promo about the Kid/Backlund match.

WWF Monday Night RAW - 11.14.94
-RAW is joined in progress...with Backlund having the Chicken Wing locked on the Kid. Bret runs down and gets Backlund to release the hold. Backlund cuts another promo of jibberish on the outside of the ring, and it's McMahon/DiBiase on commentary.
-I hate how Bret always said "The" before the PPVs. "At the Summerslam", "at The Survivor Series", etc.
-Mabel and Jarrett win squash matches, and more IRS crap about repossessing caskets and gravestones. WTF? If this is the way to an Undertaker/IRS feud, it's lame.
-King's Court with Owen Hart and the British Bulldog.
-The debut of "The Portugese Man O' War" Aldo Montoya. This is Justin Credible, right?
-Montoya wins, and DiBiase hits the ring to try to buy him out instantly...Montoya says he can take his money and "shove it in his ear". *facepalm*

WWF Monday Night RAW - 11.21.94
-Razor vs. Diesel leading off RAW...and the entire Teamsters team attacks Razor from behind during his entrance. Cornette joining McMahon on commentary this week.
-Tatanka defeats...Chris Kanyon?!?! Kanyon was a WWF jobber? I had no idea! Kanyon was always one of my favorites...it's tragic and sad the road his life went down.
-King's Court with the midgets. *fast forward*
-IRs beats a jobber.
-Razor vs. Diesel happens, with their respective Survivor Series teams at ringside. Gee, this won't turn into a 10 man brawl or anything....
-It did.

1994 WWF Surivor Series - 11.23.94
-McMahon and Monsoon are on commentary, in ridiculous looking cowboy outfits.
-The Teamsters (Diesel, Shawn Michaels, Jeff Jarrett, Owen Hart, & Him Neidhart) vs. The Bad Guys (Razor Ramon, The British Bulldog, Fatu, Sionne, and the 1-2-3 Kid) to lead off the Survivor Series.
-Michaels ducked in front of Diesel again, and this time the commentators made a big deal about it.
-Michaels clocks Diesel with a superkick once again by mistake for the third time...and Diesel's not putting up with it this time. Diesel tosses Owen and Jarrett aside, and stalks Michaels to the back...and here's the face turn.
-The entire Teamsters team counted out, and Razor Ramon wins inside the ring as the sole survivor.
-Michaels flees in a rental car, throwing a fit about how Diesel is a turncoat to Pettingill, and how he's a zero without Shawn Michaels.
-Lawler and the midgets vs. Doink and the midgets. Completely skipped. Next!
-Bull Nakano won the WWF Women's Title in Tokyo on Sunday. Yawn.
-Backlund vs. Bret Hart, for the WWF Title!
-Wow, Backlund has some strong heel heat.
-Bulldog out on the outside, and Backlund slaps in the Crossface Chickenwing!
-Owen crying on the outside, saying he's sorry.
-Backlund's had the Chickenwing in for a good five minutes and is still screaming...Owen in tears on the outside. What a wonderful WRESTLING match this has been, too.
-Owen over crying to Stu and Helen...telling them they have to do something, that they have to throw in the towel. Oh man, I see where this is going...this is amazing. I never knew how the Owen/Bret feud tied into Backlund until now...this is wonderful.
-I can't remember a submission hold ever being locked in for this long before.
-Owen moves the guardrail so Stu and Helen can come in, and gives Helen the towel to throw in...Helen starts to throw it, but Stu rips it out of her hands and refuses to throw it in, Owen begging all the while.
-Helen finally rips the towel away and throws it in, despite Stu lunging for it...Owen immediately grabs the towel and runs away to the back. Stu and Helen both look devastated on the outside, and Fink says it all..."Ladies and gentlemen, the winner of this bout, and NEW World Wrestling Federation Champion...Mr...Bob...Backlund!"
-AMAZING match, and maybe one of the greatest storylines I've ever seen.
-Backlund with the most hilarious expression ever as he's given the championship belt.
-In the nearly two years worth I've watched so far, I don't think anyone has had more heel heat thus far than Bob Backlund.
-Pettingoof interviews Owen Hart backstage, who is laughing hysterically over fooling Stu and Helen and getting them to throw the towel in.
-Vince and Monsoon both sound like they're going to cry over what Owen did. This was sold SO AMAZINGLY by everyone involved...this may be one of the greatest matches ever, simply for the story that was told during it.
-The Million Dollar Corporation (Tatanka, King Kong Bundy, Bam Bam Bigelow, and the Heavenly Bodies) vs. Guts and Glory (Lex Luger, Mabel, Adam Bomb, and the Smoking Gunns). Why the hell are the Heavenly Bodies teaming with the MDC? Also, lame match.
-Backlund is going to pasturize us, moisturize us, and homogonize us into something. I don't know. Nutty ass Backlund with a hilarious promo backstage...I cannot profress my love enough for this character and this storyline.
-WALKER TEXAS RANGER!

-I have about 43 Chuck Norris jokes running through my head, but I'll spare you all. Casket Match time, Yokozuna vs. The Undertaker.
-This may be considered the first "special effects entrance" in WWF history, as the video screen actually split in two and pulled out so that Paul Bearer could wheel out the casket, with the Undertaker coming down.
-I remember when I was a kid, and everyone said the original Undertaker and Ultimate Warrior died, and these were the second versions.
-Undertaker slashes his throat and points to the casket, and Yoko falls back in fear. Fantastic...I love the way Yoko sells the fear of the casket.
-King Kong Bundy comes out for some random reason? Norris plants his feet and stares death into Bundy's eyes, and here comes Bigelow as well. I'm guessing it's DiBiase's revenge? Either way, they're both backing down from the iron gaze of the Texas Ranger. ()
-IRS hits the ring behind Norris while he's distracted and goes to town on Taker, allowing Yoko to roll away from the casket. IRS shoves Taker into the casket, and leaves through the crowd. Yoko goes to shut the cakset lid, but of course, Taker grabs Yoko by the throat.
-Jeff Jarrett comes down to the ring...ROUNDHOUSE KICK from Norris! Is this why he calls himself "The Chosen One"...because he survived a Chuck Norris Roundhouse Kick?
-Undertaker takes control, and good night Yokozuna.

WWF Monday Night RAW - 11.28.94
-So...Diesel is the new WWF Champion. I've been waiting for this, because I have some questions.
#1.) Why would you book Diesel to win the title at a HOUSE SHOW? Wouldn't he go over more by doing it on a live episode of RAW?
#2.) Why would you derail Backlund and his INCREDIBLE heel heat at this point? Wouldn't it make more sense to let him hold onto the belt for awhile? You still have HBK/Diesel at Wrestlemania because it's a natural match, have Bret win the Rumble, and then win the title back.
#3.) Why go through this at all? Why not just have Bret lose to Diesel? What was the point of that?
-Owen Hart against a jobber, carrying the towel with him. Bret interviewed over the phone, and he'll be back around January.
-Adam Bomb comes down, and has a little mushroom cloud pyro go off in the ring. That was kinda neat. Why'd he leave the WWF, anyway?
-Adam Bomb against IRS, except...there's a druid coming to the ring with IRS and DiBiase. This is a stupid feud.
-Why is the crowd chanting Irwin?
-IRS wins, and he and the 'druid' beat on Adam Bomb for a bit, until Luger randomly comes down and saves Bomb. Why? I don't know, I don't care.
-Bob Holly. Yawn.
-Was there actually a WWF race team?
-Luger comes out to zero pop to beat on a jobber.
-Not even a bit of explanation as to why Diesel is the new WWF Champion yet. No video clip or anything.
-STILL no theme music for Diesel...just the damned diesel horn going off.
-McMahon talks about the Survivor Series...and HBK/Nash. Still no reference to him beating Backlund.
-Apparently HBK "dumped" the WWF Tag Team Titles, and with Bret being sidelined, Diesel was named #1 contender to the WWF Title at Madison Square Garden.
-Diesel just called it "The Crosswing Chicken".
-I'm watching a lame Heavenly Bodies match because Mr. Backlund's joined the commentary team.
- McMahon said that there was a interviewer asking Backlund questions after the Diesel/Backlund match at MSG, and Backlund was responding to the questions as though the match hadn't even happened.
-Backlund knows everything about Diesel, and he's going to "procure the Chickenwing" and "destroy him from the WWF like the Tyrannosaurus Rex was destroyed from the earth".
-They show the entire Backlund/Diesel match and Backlund snaps, and says before he retires he will procure the Chickenwing on Vince McMahon.

WWF Monday Night RAW, 12.5.94
-Michaels comes out...so i guess the Tag Titles are vacant? Michaels is on commentary this week...he steps in front of McMahon and talks about himself.
-Jarrett comes out...and hey! There's the Roadie! Jarrett vs. the British Bulldog to start off RAW.
-McMahon referred to the Roadie as "the ring attendant", so they're not actually recognizing him yet.
-Now they're referring to the Roadie as "clearly in the corner of Double J".
-Jarett left the ring, Bulldog went down the aisle and grabbed Jarrett, and threw him back into the ring, but the Roadie was holding onto his foot as he tried to get back in, and Bulldog was counted out.
-1-2-3 Kid and Kwang win squash matches, and Whippleman for some reason yelled a bunch of crap at Fink.
-King's Court, with a "very special guest"...Shawn Michaels. Michaels acts shocked from ringside.
-HBK taking credit for Diesel winning the WWF title, since Diesel/HBK's tag titles being stripped was the reason Tunney gave the title shot to Diesel.
-More Whippleman talking crap to Fink, so he can introduce Well Dunn. Yawn. Who the hell is Well Dunn anyway?
-Well Dunn vs. the BushwhackzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz
-Fink just told the referee about Whippleman cheating.
-Backlund goes into another rant, this time about exterminating Doink. Massive "Diesel" chant.

WWF Monday Night RAW, 12.12.94
-Backlund opening up RAW against Doink...except stupid Dink is coming to the ring.
-Michaels on commentary again...I'm assuming these two episodes were probably taped back to back.
-CHICKENWING! And Backlund won't let it go. Hopefully this is how they write Doink out. Dink's throwing a fit on the side of the ring.
-Advertisement for WWF RAW for the Sega Genesis. I remember LOVING this game.
-They're releasing an INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO FOR THE GAME. Wow. And they're advertising it.
-Jarett cuts some pointless promo about a bunch of executives wanting to meet with him in Las Vegas.
-Razor Ramon beats a jobber.
-King's Court...wow, they had this a LOT back in the day. This time the guest is IRS. PLEASE JUST GO AWAY IRS ALONG WITH YOUR STUPID GIMMICK.
-IRS brings more druids. TAX CHEATS BLAH BLAH FAST FORWARD. IRS vs. Luger next week.
-Promo video for Hakushi, soon coming to the World Wrestling Federation. Stupid question - were the tattoos real? Also, was Hakushi ever anyone else?
-Montoya vs. a jobber.
-King Kong Bundy beats a jobber, and we close with Santa Claus. *sigh* WHY ARE THESE RAW EPISODES SO AWFUL. Come on 1996...
-OK, Santa gave HBK a plastic WWF Women's Title. I laughed.

WWF Monday Night RAW, 12.19.94
-Luger having a flagbearer is beyond stupid.
-Michaels on commentary for a third straight week.
-Luger vs. IRS. Gosh golly gee yay.
-There's a new ring announcer in the ring...it's not that Bill Dunn guy, and it's also not Fink. Hmmm. He's not too horrible.
-Luger gets counted out after clocking one of the druids, who turns out to be Tatanka.
-...the Fink is dressed up and acting like a Bushwhacker. What. the. fuck.
-Jarrett at Bally's in Las Vegas, and Rip Taylor freaks out and welcomes him.
-Smoking GunzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
-Next week, the RAW debut of Henry Godwinn! I hated the Godwinns.
-King's Court, with Bob Backlund! "8 Seconds" chant at Backlund. Backlund says a bunch of stuff about the plebians, and axioms that flow from between his something muscle.
-Backlund: "Kevin Nash, you're like a neanderthal!" Blah blah...and Michaels to McMahon: "Kevin Nash? Do you know who that is, Vince? Guess who told Backlund his name and all that stuff?" NICE. But...do Diesel and Backlund even have a rematch? They're hyping it, but I don't remember ever hearing about it...
-Bob HollzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
-Bushwhackers come out with Fink to fac eWell Dunn (again), and Michaels has the line of the night: "I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the Fink does not get a lot of chicks."
-Neidhart beats a jobber to end RAW.

WWF Monday Night RAW, 12.26.94
-Tatanka vs. The British Bulldog open up the final RAW of 1996, and once again Shawn Michaels is on commentary with Vince McMahon.
-DiBiase pulls the rope down on Bulldog, which prompts Luger to come out, check on Bulldog, and begin brawling with Tatanka and Bam Bam Bigelow. Is this the formation of The Allied Powers? I actually really liked the team of Luger/DBS.
-Henry Godwinn debuts...he was a heel? I had no idea.
-King's Court, with the WWF Champion, Diesel...and Shawn Michaels at ringside.
-Diesel getting a hell of a pop on his way out...still no music.
-Lawler yells at the King for about 5 minutes non-stop, and announces Bret Hart v. Diesel for the WWF Title at the Royal Rumble. Lawler yells some more about wanting Bret and Diesel to eliminate each other, and finally Diesel takes the microphone away, steals his crown, and tosses Lawler to the outside. King Diesel.
-Kwang wins a squash, and DiBiase accepts a challenge from the Allied Powers for next week on RAW, the first RAW of 1995.
-Undertaker's music hits and the lights go out...and Michaels turns on a flashlight.
-Undertaker vs. IRS at the Royal Rumble.
Old 05-17-12, 03:43 PM   #166
brainee
DVD Talk Limited Edition

-The debut of "The Portugese Man O' War" Aldo Montoya. This is Justin Credible, right?
-Montoya wins, and DiBiase hits the ring to try to buy him out instantly...Montoya says he can take his money and "shove it in his ear". *facepalm*

Yup ... Justin Credible. You can just tell this gimmick isn't going to take off. Though that's the benefit of wearing a mask. If your gimmick craps out, just take off the mask and no one knows any better You'll see that a few times in the next year or so. Kwang sucked. But take off the mask and ... presto! You change from a ninja to the pride of Puerto Rico, Savio Vega! You'll see Avatar soon ... and it's no wonder the guy's career never took off, since it looked like he was wearing a jock strap on his face. But take off the mask, give him a schizoid personality, and have him start carrying a mannequin head to ringside ... and Al Snow suddenly has a career.

Though it sometimes works the other way ... a guy's career takes off when he starts wearing a mask. Kane is an example of that. No one had to know he was an evil dentist and a Diesel impersonator.

-Tatanka defeats...Chris Kanyon?!?! Kanyon was a WWF jobber?

I imagine this would be a cool thing of doing a retro watch like you're doing ... seeing before-they-made-it jobbers.

-So...Diesel is the new WWF Champion. I've been waiting for this, because I have some questions.
#1.) Why would you book Diesel to win the title at a HOUSE SHOW? Wouldn't he go over more by doing it on a live episode of RAW?
#2.) Why would you derail Backlund and his INCREDIBLE heel heat at this point? Wouldn't it make more sense to let him hold onto the belt for awhile? You still have HBK/Diesel at Wrestlemania because it's a natural match, have Bret win the Rumble, and then win the title back.
#3.) Why go through this at all? Why not just have Bret lose to Diesel? What was the point of that?

#1) All I can say is that WWF used to do that. Flair lost the title to Bret Hart at a house show. That seemed even worse to not air, since it was Hart's 1st WWF Championship. I suppose the rationale was to make house shows seem important. If the audience knew that no title would change hands at a non-televised show there wouldn't be much suspense (and not as much interest ... and not as much money). Even titles changing hands rarely at house shows would be enough to let the audience know it can happen. And when they see an advertised title match for a show coming to their town, they think it's possible the challenger could win.

#2) I have no defense/explanation for this. It's almost like WWF/E tries to sabotage their own product sometimes. "What's this? Mr. Backlund is hugely over as a heel? Let's squash him in a non-televised match and push him down the card!"

#3) I get the point of "transitional" champions. WWF wants to move the belt from Hart to Diesel. But they're trying to build up Diesel as a face, and having him beat the more established and hugely popular Hart will hurt that. WWF/E has done this numerous times before and since. Backlund to Iron Sheik to Hogan (his 1st title in WWF) ... Warrior to Slaughter back to Hogan ... and so on.

It still doesn't forgive how horribly they jobbed Backlund out to Diesel. You'd think there would've been money to be made by people wanting to see Diesel kick Backlund's ass.

Because IRS stands for Irwin R Shyster (and the crowd is mocking IRS, because I guess Irwin sounds like a sissy name to them). With that name, IRS must've been teased something fierce as a kid. You can't blame him for becoming disillusioned with humanity and becoming an evil tax man.

-Backlund opening up RAW against Doink...except stupid Dink is coming to the ring.
-Michaels on commentary again...I'm assuming these two episodes were probably taped back to back.
-CHICKENWING! And Backlund won't let it go. Hopefully this is how they write Doink out. Dink's throwing a fit on the side of the ring.

You're not done with Doink so soon. Though I can tell you that Doink's last televised match will be on Raw ... and that you'll love it!

Last edited by brainee; 05-17-12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-17-12, 04:45 PM   #167
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
But take off the mask, give him a schizoid personality, and have him start carrying a mannequin head to ringside ... and Al Snow suddenly has a career.
Although we had to deal with the New Rockers and Leif Cassidy first.

Quote:
#3) I get the point of "transitional" champions. WWF wants to move the belt from Hart to Diesel. But they're trying to build up Diesel as a face, and having him beat the more established and hugely popular Hart will hurt that. WWF/E has done this numerous times before and since. Backlund to Iron Sheik to Hogan (his 1st title in WWF) ... Warrior to Slaughter back to Hogan ... and so on.

It still doesn't forgive how horribly they jobbed Backlund out to Diesel. You'd think there would've been money to be made by people wanting to see Diesel kick Backlund's ass.
Exactly. They could've built a sweet little two month feud up to the Rumble with Diesel/Backlund, and even had a brief match if need be - but not an 8 second match. Come on. Totally, completely dropped the ball with this one, IMO. My point stands in what I would've done with the storyline above, but that's just me, I guess. I know the Diesel era is considered a massive flop, correct? Curious to see, as I know very, VERY little of what goes on in 1995, outside of Wrestlemania.

Quote:
You're not done with Doink so soon. Though I can tell you that Doink's last televised match will be on Raw ... and that you'll love it!
I hope it's really, REALLY soon.
Old 05-17-12, 04:49 PM   #168
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I began lining everything up last night, making sure I would have everything available for this run, and I think I'm good to go. I haven't checked on PPVs yet, but I don't see those being an issue...but I've got (or am in the process of downloading) every episode of RAW, Smackdown, Nitro, and Thunder from 1995-2001, along with every Clash of the Champions (there's only four from 1996-2001) as well. I think I'm going to have a mod change the topic title to 1993-1995, and from there, since it'll really get crazy, have a new thread for each year. 1996 is when the war really begins, so I suspect there will be a lot less fast forwarding around that time...plus we're about to start with monthly PPVs, many of which I will not have seen any of (there's only a select few of the pre-1997 IYH PPVs I've seen).
Old 05-17-12, 04:50 PM   #169
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, i thought long and hard, and for now, I'm just going to stick with ECW PPVs and "supershows". I know they had a few Clash-type events. Does anyone have a list of those, so I can start getting them? I may start ECW as soon as 1995, if so.
Old 05-17-12, 05:01 PM   #170
ScissorPuppy
DVD Talk Special Edition

-Owen in Backlund's corner at Survivor Series, and Bulldog in Bret's corner, and "for the first time in WWF Championship history, the match will be held under Submission Rules." There seriously hadn't been a submission match prior to this?

I'm not sure, but it's possible. Gimmick matches were rare in the first 10 years of the WWF. Usually they were a cage or 2 of 3 falls. Then there was the blindfold match at WM7.
And the Ladder Match with Shawn and Bret in 92.

Yep.

-Vince and Monsoon both sound like they're going to cry over what Owen did. This was sold SO AMAZINGLY by everyone involved...this may be one of the greatest matches ever, simply for the story that was told during it.

Yeah, people can say what they want about 1994 being drab, but this storyline carried the company. At this point it was going on for a year and it still was fresh, great story telling.

-This may be considered the first "special effects entrance" in WWF history, as the video screen actually split in two and pulled out so that Paul Bearer could wheel out the casket, with the Undertaker coming down.

Probably for the WWF, but even before that UT had some impressive entrences at Summerslam 92 and WM 9. Although not special effects heavy. At Royal Rumble Diesel's entrance is shattering glass (same effect used later for Stone Cold.) All through 94 and 95 WWF was experimenting with bring a rock show feel to the product.

House show attendance was way down at this point. It was a way to get fans excited that something big could happen on tour.

The only reason I can think of is considering the financial situation at the time, and WCW having a run with Hogan, he needed another face for the company. Bret wasn't bringing in the Hogan type numbers, but he was a draw. With Diesel he saw the next Hogan, But unlike with Luger he wasn't going to try and make him Hogan. He gave Diesel a good run, it was successful, but not nearly what Vince wanted/needed.

It was away to get the belt off Bret and onto Diesel without giving the match away to early. Diesel was going through a quick transformation at the time, and in some ways became an overnight sensation after winning the world title. The Bret/Owen/Backlund situation didn't need the world title involved to keep going, there was enough meat there to go with. Bret and Diesel face off at the Rumble, but that match becomes more about the outside feuds then the title itself.

-Adam Bomb comes down, and has a little mushroom cloud pyro go off in the ring. That was kinda neat. Why'd he leave the WWF, anyway?

By mid 95 he's gone. According to an interview with HHH, he was fired because he refued to let Goodwin poor slop over his head. Talk about a bad choice of talent. As I said before, his gimmick sucked but he could have had a better career with more attention paid on creatives part. Getting shit on for a character like Goodwin must hurt the ego

IRS not only meant IRS in reference to the US government. It also stood for Irwin R. Shyster. GET IT? GET IT?! Another amazing idea.

-Was there actually a WWF race team?

Yes, but it was a low level farm team. ( I don't know if that is the correct term for racing). The whole gimmick was in responce to WCW having an actual NASCAR sponsorship. Vince was like " We have a car too! And our driver is also a WRESTLER! BEAT THAT TED!" Never actually mentioning how small time and insignificant the racing team was.

-STILL no theme music for Diesel...just the damned diesel horn going off.

Soon the harmonica theme will kick in. I dunno if it's not until the rumble, but it's somewhere in December or Jan.

-More Whippleman talking crap to Fink, so he can introduce Well Dunn. Yawn. Who the hell is Well Dunn anyway?

The were a team from Independent rounds and USWA that went by the name "Southern Rockers". They were in the WWF from 93-95 and usually only wrestled on Superstars. The had this on going feud with The Bushwackers, and by feud I mean, it's the only team they wrestled for two years that wasn't jobbers. This was a match you were pretty much garrented to see on a house show in 93 and 94.

-King's Court...wow, they had this a LOT back in the day.
Before 96, wrestlers never came out to the ring without someone holding the mic for them lol. Once Raw becomes Raw is War you have a lot more of someone coming down to the ring and talking shit. For whatever reason, that concept was never thought of before then so they needed some type of gimmick show to have an excuse for wrestlers to speak.

-Promo video for Hakushi, soon coming to the World Wrestling Federation. Stupid question - were the tattoos real? Also, was Hakushi ever anyone else?

I always liked this guy! He has some good matches with Bret Hart in mid 95. For whatever reason he didn't catch on. In the states he had a few matches in ECW (but I'm sure they were through the WWF, who had some sort of deal with ECW at the time.) Anything else was in Japan under a different name.

Is this the formation of The Allied Powers? I actually really liked the team of Luger/DBS.

Yeah, this is were it starts. I think this would have been a great team. They last until just after WM11. You'd think with how shitty the tag roster was Vince would have been smart enough to keep these guys together and push it.

I went to the 95 Royal Rumble, so it will be interesting to see you go over that one. I was 14 and it was my first WWF PPV, I remember I enjoyed it.

Last edited by ScissorPuppy; 05-17-12 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-17-12, 05:07 PM   #171
ScissorPuppy
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
#1) All I can say is that WWF used to do that. Flair lost the title to Bret Hart at a house show. That seemed even worse to not air, since it was Hart's 1st WWF Championship. I suppose the rationale was to make house shows seem important. If the audience knew that no title would change hands at a non-televised show there wouldn't be much suspense (and not as much interest ... and not as much money). Even titles changing hands rarely at house shows would be enough to let the audience know it can happen. And when they see an advertised title match for a show coming to their town, they think it's possible the challenger could win.
The reason Flair dropped the title so quickly and not on Tv was he had been diagnosed with an inner ear/Equilibrium issue. At the time he felt it might be his last match, the doctors didn't know if he would ever recover.
Early plans had Hart winning the belt from Flair at Survivor Series, but that never came to be. It's also one of the reasons Michaels was given his first IC belt. He was the replacement for the match but Vince didn't think he was a big enough draw. So he gave them the IC belt to make him seem more important.
Old 05-17-12, 08:43 PM   #172
Joseph L

Re: My Wrestling Retro Journal: 1993-1995

btw - Diesel/Backlund was the last time the title changed hands and wasn't televised
Old 05-17-12, 10:26 PM   #173
brainee
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Also, i thought long and hard, and for now, I'm just going to stick with ECW PPVs and "supershows". I know they had a few Clash-type events. Does anyone have a list of those, so I can start getting them? I may start ECW as soon as 1995, if so.
Wikipedia's list seems pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...er-view_events

If I remember correctly, the weekly "Hardcore TV" show would regularly mine the monthly supercards for their wrestling footage (at least until they got a PPV deal).

It will be very jarring to jump from WWF to what ECW was doing in 1995 ... but I think it will be a good kind of jarring
Old 05-18-12, 12:35 AM   #174
ScissorPuppy
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
I know the Diesel era is considered a massive flop, correct? Curious to see, as I know very, VERY little of what goes on in 1995, outside of Wrestlemania.
The idea of it being a massive flop was hindsight on the WWF's part, once Nash jumped to WCW. Vince kept the belt on Diesel for a full year, so he must have had some sort of success with him. Anyone between Hogan and Stone Cold was considered a massive flop by those two's standards. I guess Diesel was about as successful as a long term champion could be during the down time the WWF was experiencing at the time.
Old 05-18-12, 05:11 AM   #175
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWF Monday Night RAW - 1.2.95
-Man, Roadie was a goofball when he first started out.
-McMahon is a "little bit under the weather". Monsoon and Shawn Michaels doing commentary. I wonder if Michaels was injured or something during this stretch?
-Jeff Jarrett's "singing debut" tonight. Uh huh.
-Bam Bam Bigelow and Tatanka open up against the soon-to-be Allied Powers.
-Double countout. Lame.
-I miss the obnoxious ringing of the bell over and over again during post-match mayhem like they used to do. Oh wait, no I don't.
-Michaels refers to 'The Roadie' by name for the first time.
-Droese.
-King's Court...with The King of Harts, Owen Hart. Owen says just like Bret was, he's going to be WWF Tag Team Champion, WWF Intercontinental Champion, and WWF Champion. 2 out of 3 ain't bad...
-Whippleman vs. Fink in a Tuxedo match next week. Oh my.
-"Ain't I Great!"
-Jarrett and Roadie "mic check" for about three minutes straight, then yell about the lighting and the spotlight, then deal with the mic feedback....Gorilla says "Where's Kevin Dunn when you need him" And jarrett finally just leaves after nonstop feedback from the microphone.
-...so they go to commercial, and come back with the tag match from the beginning, resumed. Lame.
-Bulldog pins Tatanka after whipping him into Bigelow. Seriously. That was the way it ended. Awful.

WWF Monday Night RAW - 1.9.95
-Vince McMahon and Shawn Michaels on commentary.
-Lawler on King's Court tonight...with William Shatner as the guest! This should be good.
-Shatner talking crap backstage about Lawler and promoting "Tech War". Whatever that is.
-Razor Ramon defending the Intercontinental Title against Owen Hart. Should be a good one! Winner defends the title against Jeff Jarrett at the Royal Rumble.
-Is Neidhart gone at this point?
-Meh. Not as good as I expected...Owen locks in the Sharpshooter, Bret storms the ring and starts pounding on Owen. Jarrett runs down and starts attacking Bret Hart, and Razor comes to the save.
-The debut of Hakushi! He's squaring off against Matt Hardy
-Lawler asks Shatner to name one bigger moment than standing in the ring with Lawler. Shatner says, "Chewing gum yesterday".
-Shatner seriously monkey-flipped Lawler. Bret Hart randomly comes to the ring and raises his hand, and I don't know why. Jarrett randomly comes out to come in the ring, and I also don't know why.
-Wippleman vs. Fink. Ugh.
-That was...awful.
-Jarrett comes down at the end to call out Shatner and Hart...it's Jarrett vs. Hart next week, with Shatner in Bret's corner.

WWF Monday Night RAW - 1.16.95
-Shawn Michaels, to William Shatner: "If you're not careful, my friend, Double J is gonna send you to a galaxy far, far, away."
-Heavenly Bodies vs. 1-2-3 Kid/Bob Holly. Where the hell are the WWF Tag Team Titles? Anyway, Kid and Holly win.
-Monday Night RAW debut of "Mantaur". Um...what the fuck is this?
-Apparently Jim Cornette is managing this weird guy. What the hell is he?
-Bret Hart vs. Jeff Jarrett...Bret reverses a rollup to beat Jarrett. Roadie sneaks up on Bret, and Shatner clotheslined him.
-King's Court, with the entire Million Dollar Corporation. Nothing eventful.
-Mabel beats some jobber.
-They debut Diesel's theme music...on a video package for him to close the show.

1995 WWF Royal Rumble - 1.22.95
-Pamela Anderson shows up backstage in a limo, since she's accompanying the winner of the Rumble at Wrestlemania. She was smoking back then.
-Jeff Jarrett headed to the ring with the Roadie for his Intercontinental Title match against Razor Ramon.
-McMahon makes sure to mention that 'Nature Boy' Buddy Rogers developed the Figure Four. Shot at Flair?
-Razor hurts his knee after a Roadie attack and loses by countout - Jarrett calls him a chicken, so Razor gets back in the ring and the match restarts.
-Razor's knee collapses during the Razor's Edge, Jarrett rolls Razor into a small package, and we've got a new WWF Intercontinental Champion!
-Undertaker vs. IRS...yeah, Taker's gonna squash IRS.
-Taker wins, but King Kong Bundy attacks Undertaker and steals the urn. *yawn*
-Diesel debuts his harmonica theme, which I always liked, as well as the glass shattering entrance that Scissorpuppy referenced earlier, which was actually a really cool effect.
-Diesel goes over and high-fives Lawrence Taylor...oh god. I forgot about that nonsense.
-Michaels attacks Diesel after he hits the Jackknife, but the referee orders the match to continue. Why? That's stupid.
-Owen attacks Bret when he puts the Sharpshooter on...and the referee says the match must continue again. Again, dumb.
-Bret hurts his knee, and Diesel goes for a chair...maybe the first time I've seen that in the WWF. Bret glances over at Diesel and starts selling the knee hard, and then hits a small package for a near fall...almost tricked Diesel into thinking his knee was hurt.
-Hebner goes down...gee, I wonder what's gonna happen. Yep, Michaels immediately hits the ring to attack Diesel, and Backlund/Owen sprint down to attack Bret...followed by Jarrett and Roadie, attacking Diesel. Double DQ, what a trainwreck.
-They finally got the ring cleared...and Backlund hit the ring and slapped the Chickenwing on Bret!! Everyone else poured back into the ring.
-I have to say, though...Diesel and Bret put on a pretty damn good match. Not bad at all.
-Pamela Anderson changing behind one of those tri-fold curtain things, and asks Pettingill to hand her some lingerie...Pettingoof has a look like he just creamed his pants.
-Bob Holly (ugh) and 1-2-3 Kid in the finals of the Tag Team Title tournament that I somehow didn't even know was going on until now. They're facing Tatanka and Bigelow.
-Holly: "We're just like the San Diego Chargers, we're the underdogs." For his sake, he'd better hope they aren't just like the Chargers.
-Oh, the tournament was exclusive to Superstars. That explains that. Lame.
-Tatanka's stupid ass knocks Bigelow off the ropes while he's going for the moonsault because he decides that's a good time to hit the ropes. Kid covers Bigelow, and Kid/Holly are the fucking Tag Team Champions. What. the. hell.
-Bigelow sees Lawrence Taylor laughing at him...Taylor stands up and offers a handshake, but Bigelow shoves him.
-So, question...why was Bigelow picked to do the job to a football player? He pretty much fell off the face of the planet afterward, so obviously it hurt his career in a major way, right? Was it some type of punishment for something?
-Michaels cuts a promo backstage about the Royal Rumble...he's SO much better doing promos now than he was just six months ago. I think the stint on commentary helped him out a lot, too.
-McMahon cuts a "serious-face" promo apologizing to LT, trying to sell it as real.
-Pamela Anderspon comes down as the "hostess" in a stunner of a dress.
-Hey Pamela, you must be smuggling puppies, because their noses are showing.
-Shawn Michaels is the first entrant into the Royal Rumble, and McMahon is so lame. "You can bet Shawn Michaels won't be going to Wrestlemania now!"
-The British Bulldog as #2!
-Entrants coming out every 60 seconds...that's fast.
-#3 is Eli Blu. Who the hell were the Blus?
-#8 is Doink...I was hoping you were wrong about Doink not being gone yet.
-#10 is Rick Martel, who hasn't been on RAW in about 8 months.
-#11 is Owen...who gets his ass kicked from behind by the Hitman. Owen enters and is eliminated pretty quickly.
-By the time #13 (Luke) gets in the ring, HBK/Bulldog have cleared the ring, and it's just them left...and Michaels makes short work of Luke.
-Mo sets the new record for quickest Royal Rumble entrant!
-McMahon says "This year's 1995 Royal Rumble." You know, as opposed to next year's 1995 Royal Rumble.
-Backlund comes in at #25! LET'S SEE THE CHICKENWING! Except no, because BRET comes out and attacks him too!
-Dirty Dick Murdoch at #27. Hadn't he been retired for like 40 years?
-Final three are Michaels, Crush, and Bulldog. GEE I WONDER WHO WILL WIN
-Bulldog eliminates Michaels and his music hits...but then Michaels comes back in and eliminates Bulldog, and gets his hand raised by Hebner. Turns out both of HBK's feet didn't touch the floor.
-Shawn Michaels begins his ascent to the main event by becoming the first man ever to come from #1 and win the Royal Rumble.

WWF Monday Night RAW - 1.23.95
- McMahon with another "sincere apology" opening up RAW to the family of Lawrence Taylor on behalf of "Scott 'Bam Bam' Bigelow". Bigelow suspended without pay.
-Michaels is still on commentary, surprisingly enough, even after winning the Rumble. Was there any particular reason why Michaels was doing so much commentary? I'd just assumed he was injured, but obviously not.
-Smokin' Gunns get their tag title shot against the 1-2-3 Kid and Bob Holly now, since apparently they were injured during the tournament. Not sure if that's a legitimate injury or not...it was a "rodeo accident".
-The Gunns win the tag titles...so yeah, I assume the injury was legit, and this was their way of getting the belts back on them?
-Kid and Gunn with an interview outside the ring, and they make the challenge for a rematch next week.
-"Diesel" chants as we come back from commercial...I'm guessing that was a prompted chant.
-Michaels is looking for a bodyguard. I think I know who this is!
-IRS hits the ring to take on a jobber, with his repossessed urn in tow.
-Roddy Piper randomly calls into RAW...blah blah New Generation. Did Piper and Michaels ever have a match?
-Piper bitches about Bigelow taking a shot at LT, and McMahon quickly changes the subject...it's like they're really trying to portray this as a shoot.
-King's Court with Jeff Jarrett...who challenges Diesel for the WWF Title.
-Wrestlemania 11 is in HARTFORD? What?
-Bulldog wins a squash.
-Vince tries to go backstage to get Bigelow's "apology", but has technical difficulties and they can't get the interview in on time.

WWF Monday Night RAW - 1.30.95
-Michaels and McMahon on commentary, clearly greenscreened in over the RAW crowd.
-Mabel vs. King Kong Bundy in a two man Royal Rumble. SNORE.
-McMahon interviews Bigelow backstage, telling him the crowd is entitled to laugh at him if they want, since they pay money.
-Bigelow refuses to apologize, saying he should've shoved him harder...and challenges him to a fight.
-Hakushi hits the ring. Always thought the tattoos were pretty cool. He beats a jobber.
-Aldo beats one as well.
-Backlund on the King's Court, and says he will no longer let the Chicken Wing go until his opponent screams "I quit, Mr. Bob Backlund".
-Backlund says nobody is exempt from the Chicken Wing, including "yours truly". King somehow takes that to mean he's talking about himself...and Backlund slaps it on immediately....Lawler screams "I Quit Mr. Backlund" in about two seconds.
-Tag Team Title rematch, and at the end Kid goes for a splash and lands RIGHT on his shoulder. Arena goes silent, Billy Gunn tagged in to go after the Kid and just stopped instantly, and Kid's barely moving. They cut to commercial and back, and McMahon said the Kid walked out of the arena. I'm not sure if it was a legit injury or not...anyone know anything about this?
-The debut of "The Supreme Fighting Machine" Kama. What a lame gimmick.

WWF Monday Night RAW - 2.6.95
-Michaels and McMahon greenscreened in again, over Mabel's music, again. Wow.
-Men on a Mission and Lex Luger against King Kong Bundy, Tatanka, and IRS. Still no sign of The Allied Powers since their initial teaming. MDC with the cheap win.
-Man Mountain Rock is about to debut. What the fuck? A wrestler/guitar player? Seriously? Who is this chump?
-Lawrence Taylor's legal representation answers the challenge from Bam Bam Bigelow, accepting the WWF's apology...and rejecting Bigelow's challenge, stating Taylor does not wish to be a professional wrestler.
-Seriously...this tool is "playing guitar" in the ring. I'm sure he's not actually playing, and if he is he sucks.
-Honestly...he looks familiar. Is he one of the guys from Public Enemy?
-Diesel vs. Jeff Jarrett for the WWF Title on 2.20.95...and Michaels debuts his bodyguard on the same date in response.
-Mantaur, Razor Ramon, and Henry Godwinn win squash matches. No RAW next week, due to the dog show...I always hated that.
-RAW ends with Michaels announcing his retirement from commentary, because he's making himself a target by doing commentary.

WWF Monday Night RAW - 2.20.95
-Bigelow talking more trash to LT ten days ago on Superstars, and wins a squash match here on RAW. They show footage of LT's legal representation demanding a cease and desist from the WWF in terms of mentioning this potential match.
-Cornette's on commentary with McMahon this week.
-After Bigelow's win...he grabs the mic (not too many people grabbed the microphone without someone holding it, as ScissorPuppy eluded to), and talked more crap about LT.
-Adam Bomb wins a squash.
-King's Court with Shawn Michaels...but first Lawler trashes Bret Hart for receiving some people's choice award from the WWF Magazine.
-Shawn Michaels introduces his new bodyguard, SID. I always loved Sid in the "Psycho" role, am I alone?
-Sid with a crazy jibberish promo! Yes!
-Who was Uncle Zebekiah?
-Diesel gets the clean pin on Jarrett to retain the WWF Title, and clocks the Roadie with the big boot.

WWF Monday Night RAW - 2.27.95
-New RAW video!
-FINALLY, the blowoff match between Lex Luger and Tatanka. It only took 6 months.
-Chief Jay Strongbow accompanying Luger to the ring. I still think this feud was good enough to get a match at, say, Wrestlemania, or the Royal Rumble at least.
-Tatanka retreats to the back and gets counted out.
-Owen Hart looking for a tag team partner to go after the WWF Tag Team Titles...
-Owen wins a squash...up next, we hear from Lawrence Taylor and from Bam Bam Bigelow...
-And that interview was pointless. Just some general trash talking, and Taylor is "weighing his options".
-Doink wins a squash, as does Kama.
-Bulldog vs. Michaels next week. Wrestlemania Press Conference the following morning, which is probably where LT will accept Bigelow's challenge.

WWF Monday Night RAW - 3.6.95
-Yep, Lawrence Taylor accepted.
-Michaels/Bulldog leads off RAW.
-Really, REALLY good match between Bulldog/HBK, and Michaels wins cleanly (well, there was some interference from Sid during the match) with the superkick.
-Announced for Wrestlemania XI: Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels for the WWF Title, Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Lawrence Taylor, Bret Hart vs. Bob Backlund in an I Quit match, Undertaker vs. King Kong Bundy.
-How was the mainstream media coverage for Bigelow/LT?
-Backlund wins a squash with the Chicken Wing, and Droese wins a squash as well.
-Some stupid little skit with Nicolas Turturro from NYPD Blue interviewing Paul Bearer about Yokozuna's disappearance. Lame.
Sponsored Links