Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-03-12, 10:40 PM   #1076
Shamus McAnally
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
the mysterious Flyers hatred
Quote:
The Pittsburgh hatred of Philly is a jealousy thing more than anything.
What could it be?

My DVD list
Old 05-03-12, 11:21 PM   #1077
aktick
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
Do you really follow hockey? Playoff hockey? You never talk up a team (especially if you like them), it's just a total jinx. You can mention several teams that you like or might want to see succeed or think are playing well, but never pick just one.

Total jinx and you're going to have Kings fans looking for you after they lose because of you.
I think we've had this discussion about irrational superstition before. And I can guarantee you, when I played, I could probably have been thrown into an institution I was so superstitious (right skate first, eat the same thing before every game, warmup the same way, say the same things to the goalie, etc.)...so I'm there with ya!

But the only team I actually like is done, so I'm not too worried about jinxing anybody.

And sadly, the way Elliott is playing (I'm an Elliott fan, not a Blues fan ), I don't think it matters what I say.
Old 05-03-12, 11:34 PM   #1078
Cory02
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate to see the Blues lose again but I've got to give the Kings credit: they are definitely stepping up their game at exactly the right time. I think this is what a lot of people (myself included) expected from the Kings from the beginning of the year and hadn't seen until the playoffs.
Old 05-04-12, 06:20 AM   #1079
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Injuries and playoffs almost always spells disaster.

This sucks.
Old 05-04-12, 07:46 AM   #1080
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Wonder what kind of odds you could have gotten for a Kings sweep.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 05-04-12, 08:25 AM   #1081
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Geez, Flyers just got totally outworked.

I didn't think they'd fare well after the last series defensively. Hope they can turn it around.
Old 05-04-12, 08:27 AM   #1082
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
What could it be?
Do you live in PA? Pittsburgh is the red-headed little brother of Philadelphia. Pittsburghers won't vote for anyone from the eastern part of the state but that issue simply doesn't exist in reverse. It's a one way thing.
Old 05-04-12, 08:51 AM   #1083
kefrank
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Blues are sunk. Kings are dominating the series. On the upside, I don't get NHLSN, so I've barely caught any of the painful proceedings.
Old 05-04-12, 08:56 AM   #1084
Dr_Evil
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Do you live in PA? Pittsburgh is the red-headed little brother of Philadelphia. Pittsburghers won't vote for anyone from the eastern part of the state but that issue simply doesn't exist in reverse. It's a one way thing.
I think this is much more a Philadelphian view of the situation. They want to feel like Pittsburghers are jealous and feel inferior. I don't know anyone that actually feels this way though. Pittsburgh takes pride in being a blue collar town, even though that is becoming less true with the advancement of the tech and health care fields in the city. I think most people dislike Philadelphia simply because of geography. We share a state but are far enough apart to be different cities with different mentalities.

As far as sports go, Philadelphia has definitely been the red-headed little brother. I'm only around 30 years old, but throughout my entire life Pittsburgh has had more success as a sports town than Philadelphia. This is often hard for "big brother" to recognize.
Old 05-04-12, 09:40 AM   #1085
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
The Blues are sunk. Kings are dominating the series. On the upside, I don't get NHLSN, so I've barely caught any of the painful proceedings.
We have been switching between keepers all season long, and when we absolutely need to - we can't.

Old 05-04-12, 10:50 AM   #1086
Damfino
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Wonder what kind of odds you could have gotten for a Kings sweep.
I don't know, but I took the Kings at +150 (or 3/2) to win the series
Old 05-04-12, 11:11 AM   #1087
bunkaroo
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
We have been switching between keepers all season long, and when we absolutely need to - we can't.

Soccer fan?

FWIW I can't believe STL is sitting down 3-0. Still a great year for them to build on and they're not done yet.
Old 05-04-12, 02:29 PM   #1088
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
I think this is much more a Philadelphian view of the situation. They want to feel like Pittsburghers are jealous and feel inferior. I don't know anyone that actually feels this way though. Pittsburgh takes pride in being a blue collar town, even though that is becoming less true with the advancement of the tech and health care fields in the city. I think most people dislike Philadelphia simply because of geography. We share a state but are far enough apart to be different cities with different mentalities.

As far as sports go, Philadelphia has definitely been the red-headed little brother. I'm only around 30 years old, but throughout my entire life Pittsburgh has had more success as a sports town than Philadelphia. This is often hard for "big brother" to recognize.
Not really. If it wasn't a one-way thing, I'd tend to agree with you. You've offered no explanation other than "geography." That doesn't make sense. Philadelphians would hate Pittsburghers then.

Obviously, Pittsburgh has been more successful in sports but people out here don't care. They think it's great. They don't boo the mention of the Steelers winning the Super Bowl the way people out there boo the mention of the Phillies winning the World Series. There are a lot of Steeler fans out here!

It's funny. When I go out there, my relatives will start badgering me right away about the Eagles or Phillies. They truly believe there is some sort of rivalry.

Philadelphia gets all the money and all the attention in the state. Pittsburgh could be a neighborhood in Philly. And if you want to talk blue collar, talk Philly.
Old 05-04-12, 08:53 PM   #1089
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

That was really close. Whistle trumps.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-04-12, 09:10 PM   #1090
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Right on the doorstep as the horn sounds. 3-1 and 3-0 in the West. Wow.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-04-12, 09:16 PM   #1091
dolphinboy
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
I think we've had this discussion about irrational superstition before. And I can guarantee you, when I played, I could probably have been thrown into an institution I was so superstitious (right skate first, eat the same thing before every game, warmup the same way, say the same things to the goalie, etc.)...so I'm there with ya!

But the only team I actually like is done, so I'm not too worried about jinxing anybody.

And sadly, the way Elliott is playing (I'm an Elliott fan, not a Blues fan ), I don't think it matters what I say.
Irrational? 3 people asked me today if I wanted to go to game 5 and I said "no."

They simply have no chance to win if I'm in the building. And, no, this isn't even really my team. They're just my home team. If I root for a team openly, they're cursed. It's hockey law.

"At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."
Old 05-05-12, 09:43 AM   #1092
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
Irrational? 3 people asked me today if I wanted to go to game 5 and I said "no."

They simply have no chance to win if I'm in the building. And, no, this isn't even really my team. They're just my home team. If I root for a team openly, they're cursed. It's hockey law.
It's the opposite with me. The only playoff home game the Caps have won is the one I attended (BOS G4).
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-05-12, 12:48 PM   #1093
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Awesome sequence by Backstrom. Get the fuck off me.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-05-12, 12:59 PM   #1094
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

That was pathetic.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-05-12, 02:03 PM   #1095
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

All square.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-05-12, 03:20 PM   #1096
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

nice win for the Caps
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 05-05-12, 03:46 PM   #1097
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

Capitals’ defenseman Karl Alzner’s dogs had way more fun Wednesday night than he did

Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 05-05-12, 04:36 PM   #1098
Tarantino
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Not really. If it wasn't a one-way thing, I'd tend to agree with you. You've offered no explanation other than "geography." That doesn't make sense. Philadelphians would hate Pittsburghers then.

Obviously, Pittsburgh has been more successful in sports but people out here don't care. They think it's great. They don't boo the mention of the Steelers winning the Super Bowl the way people out there boo the mention of the Phillies winning the World Series. There are a lot of Steeler fans out here!

It's funny. When I go out there, my relatives will start badgering me right away about the Eagles or Phillies. They truly believe there is some sort of rivalry.

Philadelphia gets all the money and all the attention in the state. Pittsburgh could be a neighborhood in Philly. And if you want to talk blue collar, talk Philly.
seriously?

XBox Live - Kleeberg
Old 05-05-12, 06:07 PM   #1099
whotony
DVD Talk Legend

I'm. Phila sports fan and I don't agree with CRM on this.

Pitt isn t jealous of anything about Phila sports, they don't have to be.

Anyway. I wasn't able to watch the hockey game live so I figured I would watch the replay.

Too bad they had the final score of the game stickied to the corner of the screen the entire time and on the scroll on the bottom of the screen.
Old 05-05-12, 06:26 PM   #1100
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Sucks that there is no game tonight.
- Josh Hinkle