DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-18-12, 05:10 PM   #126
DVD Talk God

Re: Horse Racing -- The Sport of Kings -- 2012 and beyond

Got the first half of my Special/Preakness double.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 05-19-12, 09:16 AM   #127
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Yeah, and I agree that the bigger races for horse race fans are the fall races, once you get past the Travers, since the races are open to 3 and up.

Plus I think it's great that the Triple Crown is a one shot deal. Makes it all the more of an achievement. The only unfortunate part is that some young horses don't blossom until later in their 3yo season....Blame being a perfect example from a few years ago.
Speaking of Blame - I hadn't thought about it until I was looking at the top earners of all-time. Blame never finished worse than third in all of his races.
Old 05-19-12, 09:26 AM   #128
DVD Talk God

The times in the Black Eyed Susan and Pimlico Special were pretty slow, given the fast track. Still impressive that Alternation is 4 for 4 this year. I'm guessing the Stephen Foster will be next.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-19-12, 10:43 AM   #129
DVD Talk God

I think Alternation & Nehro will meet again in The Stephen Foster.
Old 05-19-12, 05:35 PM   #130
DVD Talk God

Hit the Tri and the Super. Some boxing, but a nice payout, and we got a Triple Crown chance. Great job by IHA.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-19-12, 05:36 PM   #131
DVD Talk God

There's a chance for a Triple Crown winner this year. Once again I'll Have Another caught Bodemeister and won by a 1/2 a head at the finish. Bodemeister set the pace all the way - as he did in the Derby.

I don't believe Creative Cause or Bodemeister will go to The Belmont. There will be some fresh 3-year olds.

If Big Brown couldn't win the Triple Crown - I'll Have Another wont.
Old 05-19-12, 05:46 PM   #132
DVD Talk God

There's no question IHA can go 1 1/2. It comes down to the jockey and who's fresh coming in.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-19-12, 06:02 PM   #133
DVD Talk God

Union Rags will definitely run. He had a rough trip in The Derby. There will be a much smaller field at The Belmont - 10 or less I would guess.

Final time was 1:55.94. The track ran slowly all day.

Last edited by classicman2; 05-19-12 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-20-12, 02:05 PM   #134
DVD Talk God

A field of 13 was likely for the Belmont. In addition to I’ll Have Another, Optimizer, and Paynter, the field could include Alpha, Atigun, Dullahan, Five Sixteen, Guyana Star Dweej, Mark Valeski, Rousing Sermon, Stealcase, Street Life, and Union Rags.

according to DRF

One thing you can say about D. Wayne Lukas - he seems reluctant to give up on his horse, Optimizer.
Old 05-20-12, 05:38 PM   #135
DVD Talk God

109 Beyer for IHA. Impressive.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-20-12, 11:16 PM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Union Rags will definitely run. He had a rough trip in The Derby. There will be a much smaller field at The Belmont - 10 or less I would guess.

Final time was 1:55.94. The track ran slowly all day.
At the Derby, Union Rags stumbled out of the gate and got trapped in the back of the pack. I was impressed that he was still able to make a run late in the race and finished 7th.
Old 05-21-12, 08:08 AM   #137
DVD Talk God

Quote:
109 Beyer for IHA. Impressive.
And a 109 for Bodemeister. Those are the best 3yo BSFs this season. Tied for 4th overall at 1M+ dirt/poly.

Keep an eye on Bob Baffert's 3yo Paynter. He dominated one of the Pimilco allowance races on Saturday's card. At 1 1/16, he posted a 106 BSF. Could be a late bloomer.

As for Union Rags, I believe they announced a jockey change last week.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-21-12, 02:42 PM   #138
DVD Talk God

Quote:
As for Union Rags, I believe they announced a jockey change last week.
Probably John Velasquez (he doesn't currently have a Belmont mount).

In other news: Javier Castellano will replace Kent Desormeaux on Dullahan.

Mark Valeski is doubtful for the Belmont acc'd to Larry Jones. Maybe they'll run him in the Dwyer. Larry has certainly been conservative with him.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-23-12, 08:00 AM   #139
DVD Talk God

John Velasquez will ride Union Rags in The Belmont.

I saw that TV ratings for this year's Preakness dropped from last years.

I wonder if a Triple Crown winner this year will have an impact on TV ratings, track attendance, & wagering the rest of this year & next year?
Old 05-23-12, 08:29 AM   #140
DVD Talk God

I'm sure Belmont ratings will be way up since last year's wasn't a TC possibility (and I can't remember if both the Derby and Preak winners were there). As for a TC winner leading to increased TV ratings....I doubt it will have much impact, except for races/days that the winner would be running. Hopefully if IHA wins it, they don't retire him right away to protect him and the lucrative stud fees he will no doubt generate.

Attendance and handle was up for The Preakness. Handle was significantly up for the Derby.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-24-12, 10:44 AM   #141
DVD Talk God

Monday's Met Mile looks like a small field, but loaded. 5 probable entries have won a G1.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-24-12, 11:25 AM   #142
DVD Talk God

Are any 3-year olds probable entries in the Met Mile? They would get a weight advantage.
Old 05-25-12, 10:52 AM   #143
DVD Talk God

The California Racing Board has recomended a 180 day - up to 18 months suspension of Doug O'Neal for giving some of his horses prohibited substances. The suspension (if finally adopted) will take effect July 1.

This applies to all the tracks in California. Many other tracks, in different states, abide by that decision.
I don't know about NYRA tracks. It certainly would have an impact on late summer and early fall important races if other states abide by the California decision.
Old 05-25-12, 11:30 AM   #144
DVD Talk God

It's only a 45 day suspension, starting July 1. So not too big of a deal. In the context of I'll Have Another, that would mean the Haskell, which he could always skip anyhow, and wait for The Travers.

Quote:
O’Neill could have received 180 days, but the officer stayed the remaining 135 provided O’Neill remains clean for the next 18 months of any Class 1,2 or 3 violations regardless of jurisdiction. He was also fined $15,000, the maximum fee allowed.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-25-12, 01:10 PM   #145
DVD Talk God

Draws for the 3 big Memorial Day races at Belmont (on TVG & HRTV):

G1 Met Mile (3up):
1. To Honor and Serve -- J. Lecazno -- W. Mott
2. Shackleford -- J. Velazquez -- D. Romans
3. Caleb's Posse -- R. Maragh -- D. Von Hemel
4. Saginaw -- D. Cohen -- D. Jacobson
5. Caixa Electronica -- J. Castellano -- T. Pletcher
6. Jackson Bend -- C. Nakatani -- N. Zito

G1 Acorn (1M, 3yo, f):
1. Contested
2. Hard Mystery
3. On Fire Baby
4. Zo Impressive
5. Sacristy
6. Aubby K.

G1 Ogden Phipps (1 1/16, 3up, f&m):
1. Cash for Clunkers
2. Awesome Maria
3. She's All In
4. It's Tricky
5. Juanita

Small fields and limited betting options, but quality horses.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-25-12, 01:22 PM   #146
DVD Talk God

Quote:
It's only a 45 day suspension, starting July 1. So not too big of a deal. In the context of I'll Have Another, that would mean the Haskell, which he could always skip anyhow, and wait for The Travers.
I think The Haskell has been a more important race during the past few years than The Travers - like The Preakness over The Derby.
Old 05-25-12, 04:49 PM   #147
DVD Talk God

Given what's already happened, the most important race between the Haskell and Travers this year is whichever one IHA is in, regardless of what happens at The Belmont. Simple as that. Hell, if I'm training IHA, I'd avoid The Haskell because that's in Bodemeister's wheelhouse at 1 1/8. Granted, most said that about The Preakness.

AND it's no guarantee that IHA would run The Travers. They could always keep him in California for the G1 Pacific Classic.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-25-12, 06:48 PM   #148
DVD Talk God

The Pacific Classic is for 3-year olds & up. Running against older horses is a little more taxing than running against 3-year olds.
Old 05-25-12, 07:17 PM   #149
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
The Pacific Classic is for 3-year olds & up. Running against older horses is a little more taxing than running against 3-year olds.
at that point in the year. It's not like there is dominant 4yo now anyhow. Do you think there is a better 4yo now than IHA or Bodemeister? Since I know you don't like BSFs: compare the times of Alternation and IHA at the same track, same distance, both FAST, within one day of one another:

IHA - Preakness 1:55.94
Alternation - Pim Special 1:57.60

So unless you think there is some older horse out there much better than Alternation, I think you don't have a reason to doubt IHA (nor Bodemeister) vs. the older horses at a Classic distance. I also assume there is a weight difference in the Pacific Classic, so even more of an advantage.

And I don't have to remind of you of what Rachel Alexandra did in the Woodward a few years ago.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-25-12, 07:28 PM   #150
DVD Talk God

Wise Dan is probably the only older horse who rates favorable with IHA and Bodemeister right now and he's never raced at more than 9f -- and his best is on poly.
- Josh Hinkle