Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-05-12, 01:10 PM   #76
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Re: Horse Racing -- The Sport of Kings -- 2012 and beyond

Well I had that combo in my EX box, but it won't pay much. I think 7 or 8f is Shackleford's wheelhouse.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 05-05-12, 03:46 PM   #77
Maxflier
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No Kenny Mayne
PSN:Maxflier

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
183 days 11 hours 27 minutes
Old 05-05-12, 03:54 PM   #78
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Nice payouts on the Woodford if you had it. Turbo Compressor sucked.

Now an eternity until the Derby post.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-05-12, 04:07 PM   #79
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Robby Albarado was/is off his mounts yesterday & today. Reason - he's in the slammer - for the second time in recent months. First he beat up his wife and now he kicked his girl friend out. He's gone down hill since Curlin was retired.
Old 05-05-12, 05:36 PM   #80
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Hit the exacta and hit my Oaks/Derby double!!!!
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-05-12, 05:37 PM   #81
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Nice! I had the winner, but no money.
Old 05-05-12, 05:40 PM   #82
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Would like to see those 2 go again in the Preakness. Bodemeister was impressive in trying to go wire to wire. 1 3/16 might suit him perfectly.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-05-12, 05:41 PM   #83
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

What is the payout on the exacta and trifecta for today's race?
Old 05-05-12, 05:45 PM   #84
Maxflier
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bodemeister still finishing second after those fractions is pretty scary.
PSN:Maxflier

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
183 days 11 hours 27 minutes
Old 05-05-12, 05:50 PM   #85
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
What is the payout on the exacta and trifecta for today's race?
$2 ex paid 306. $2 Tri paid 3,064.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-05-12, 05:52 PM   #86
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, just saw that on the broadcast. Hope you bet more.
Old 05-05-12, 05:55 PM   #87
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Didn't - had 5 horses boxed which is $40. But between that and my Oaks/Derby double and taking out my loser plays, I cleared about $600.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-05-12, 07:26 PM   #88
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Would like to see those 2 go again in the Preakness. Bodemeister was impressive in trying to go wire to wire. 1 3/16 might suit him perfectly.
I agree. The Preakness will suit his running style better. I told my wife that there was no chance for him to win after I saw the first 1/4 & 1/2 fractions - a track record I believe. However, there won't be a 20 horse field at The Preakness. Most likely there will be another speed horse or 2 who might run with him.

I was glad to see Doug O'Neil's horse win. He's from the old school of trainers. It was the first time in a long time that he's worn a coat & tie.

If I were Michael Matz and planned to run Union Rags again, I would have another jockey riding him. I realize that Lepareaux won the Eclipse Award a couple of years ago, but he has the habit of putting his horse on the rail and not taking him off the rail soon enough. He did that with Asmussen's horses (Wilburn for example) all the time. If the rail or a slot close to the rail didn't open up he was finished.
Old 05-05-12, 07:34 PM   #89
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Union Rags could use a new rider and a tune-up race before the top summer events because I don't see him running the Preakness and the Belmont is too long for him IMO.

Hansen really faded. I actually thought he was in really good position but the fast pace killed him. He seems to be better suited for the middle distances.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-05-12, 09:06 PM   #90
classicman2
DVD Talk God

The two HOF jockeys on NBC (Stevens & Bailey) were great jockeys - not too good at picking winners though. They both though Union Rags was the horse to beat.

If Bodemeister does win The Preakness I don't believe Baffert will run him in The Belmont. I don't think he can be rated enough to be effective at the mile & a half. He's one of the fastest horses I've seen in a long time. He's going to be tough to beat at 1 mile thru 1 1/8.
Old 05-05-12, 09:25 PM   #91
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
If Bodemeister does win The Preakness I don't believe Baffert will run him in The Belmont. I don't think he can be rated enough to be effective at the mile & a half. He's one of the fastest horses I've seen in a long time. He's going to be tough to beat at 1 mile thru 1 1/8.
Agreed, and there's no reason to. And the Haskell sets up well for him too, since that's 1 1/8. He kind of reminds me of Rachel Alexandra who was perfect at 9 furlongs.

But if I'll Have Another can win the Preakness, have to think he's got a decent shot at winning the Belmont. He's clearly a distance horse. It would come down the fresh horses coming into that. For example, I can see Dullahan sitting out the Preakness to race in the Belmont.

I can see the Preakness being a bunch of crap horses outside of those 2. Maybe box those 2 on top of others for superfectas.
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-05-12 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-06-12, 01:33 PM   #92
Heat
DVD Talk Legend

Union Rags impressed me - he was caught at the back of the pack but somehow got out of the crowd and made it to 7th overall. If he didn't have that misstep at the gate I think he could have won.

Gemologist was the disappointment for me. Had a decent start, was in third or fourth place for the first half, but fell to something like 17th place by the end.

Bodemeister had a great race but was looking a little wobbly at the very end. Still a great race for him.

Personally, I had $20 in bets, lost it all. Oh well.
Old 05-06-12, 01:37 PM   #93
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

I'll Have Another is heading to Pimlico on Monday. That's out of the norm - usually the Derby winner doesn't show up until a few days before the Preakness.

Preakness probables and possibles:

Quote:
As of Sunday morning, far fewer than half the 20 horses who ran in the Derby were likely to come back in the Preakness. Bodemeister, who finished second, is likely to run as are Creative Cause (fifth) and Hansen (ninth).
Quote:
Other horses who could go to the Preakness, but are far less certain, are Dullahan (third), Went the Day Well (fourth), Liaison (sixth), and Optimizer (11th).
Quote:
Among those who did not run in the Derby but could turn up in the Preakness are Cozetti, Hierro, Isn’t He Clever, Paynter, The Lumber Guy, Tiger Walk, Zetterholm, and Pretension and Brimstone Island, who ran one-two in the Canonero II Stakes on Saturday at Pimlico.

Union Rags is likely waiting for the Belmont.

Quote:
“My first thought now is to say we won’t go to the Preakness,” Matz said. “It’s a long year and waiting for the Belmont makes more sense. I don’t think distance has ever been a question for this horse. In his last two races, we never got a chance to see his full stride. He probably didn’t get the opportunity to run a half-mile in the two races combined.”
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-06-12, 04:00 PM   #94
classicman2
DVD Talk God

It's a quick turnaround for any horse who ran in The Blue Grass, or the Arkansas Derby, & The Kentucky Derby to run in The Preakness & The Belmont. Very few have done it lately. Afterall, there are no Count Fleets running anymore.
Old 05-07-12, 09:29 AM   #95
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

BSFs from Derby weekend at Churchill:

I'll Have Another (Derby) - 101

Believe You Can (Oaks) - 100

Successful Dan - 110, Fort Larned - 108 (Alysheba)

Little Mike - 102 (Woodford Turf; 2nd best on Turf this year)

Shackleford - 103 (CD Stakes)
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-07-12 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-11-12, 09:47 AM   #96
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Not surprisingly, 3rd place Derby finisher, Dullahan, will skip the Preakness and point to the Belmont. He should be a top Belmont contender. Maybe the favorite if I'll Have Another loses in the Preakness.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-12-12, 04:12 PM   #97
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Larry Jones' Mark Valeski takes the G2 Peter Pan. Probably will take a shot at the Belmont now.

Right to Vote, a 45-1 shot, had a Bodemeister-Derby-like effort - blazing fractions out in front but held on nicely to finish 2nd. Unfortunately, while I had Mark Valeski on top, didn't have Right to Vote in my exacta box. Too bad - it's probably a nice payout. Met Mile might be a good race for him.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-12-12, 07:30 PM   #98
classicman2
DVD Talk God

The winning time was 1:48:1. That's not a bad time for the mile & an eighth - one turn.

He seems to be a late blooming 3-year old. That's what you want with The Belmont & late summer & early fall races coming up.
Old 05-14-12, 09:48 AM   #99
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Bodemeister has been confirmed for The Preakness. Here's a surprising stat on Derby runners-up. In the last 50 years, 37 Derby runners-up have run the Preakness. Only 2 have won (Summer Squall-1990 and Prairie Bayou-1993). But they do finish in the money 60% of the time (2-10-9).
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-14-12, 10:02 AM   #100
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Suprisingly good field for Friday's G3 Pimlico Special, being run for the first time in 4 years. It includes Oaklawn Hdcp winner Alternation (and 3rd place Yawanna Twist), the top-2 from the Donn Hdcp: Hymn Book and Mission Impazible, also Nehro and Toby's Corner.

Friday's G2 Black Eyed Susan features Mamma Kimbo, winner of the Fantasy Stakes, and In Lingerie, winner of the Bourbonette Oaks.
- Josh Hinkle
Sponsored Links