Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 03-27-12, 03:46 PM   #1
JeffTheAlpaca
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is the era of baseball card collecting officially over?

So all the cards I collected to pay for my kids college education is worhless?

I thought it was a fun hobby and I remember collecting McGwire, Canseco, Ken Griffey Jr, and Frank Thomas RCs and the card shows were fun.

Interesting video with Armen Keteyian

Quote:
At the Police Athletic League Youth Center in Parsippany, N.J., there's an irony to be found at the weekly baseball card show started by Mike Gordon back in 1981: The "youth" are missing.

Maybe one or two, says Gordon: "Very few kids."

Today the show is a long home run from the mid-1980s when a childhood hobby exploded into a billion-dollar-a-year industry, when thousands of collectors packed shows like this across the country.

Now, in Parsippany, it's just a few white, middle-aged men like dealer-collector Jack Palma.

"It's definitely an adult hobby," Palma said. "It's turned into an adult hobby. I mean they kind of price themselves out of the kids."

"I think everybody got greedy," said Jamieson. "The blame can go in a lot of different places. It can certainly go to the card makers, who were printing this stuff like they were basically printing money and were glutting the market."

Add in an eight-month baseball strike in 1994, the explosion of the Internet, video games and soaring prices for glossy gimmicks - and what you get now is Tuesday night in Parsippany, where most of the stuff , on collector finds, is fairly worthless . . . and the likely death of a national pastime.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162...ouse-of-cards/

Old 03-27-12, 05:45 PM   #2
mcnabb

Re: Is the era of baseball card collecting officially over?

What killed Basball Cards is they became a business in the late 80's, and got away from just being a fun thing for kids to do every spring.

I grew up collecting cards in the 1980's, and when I realized they were actually worth something in the late 80's, it totally ruined it for me. Instead of collecting for the fun of it, it became a business to me as I analyzed every card I got and how much it was worth. Now I was in high school at the time, and nothing should be a business to anyone at that age.

Then the early 90's came and the market got flooded and most cards from that era are worth next to nothing. Then the final nail in the coffin in the industry was when they priced every average consumer out of the market as rookie cards were costing hundreds of dollars the minute they were released. I remember a Kobe Bryant Topps Chrome rookie started at $175.00 in 1997. That is when I left the industry, sold all my cards for whatever I could get for them and never looked back.

Baseball Cards will never be the same simply because it became a business, and the irony is the best times of my baseball card collecting was when I didn't even think about the monetary value of them.
Old 03-27-12, 06:43 PM   #3
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Baseball killed baseball cards. Football is America's sport now.

But seriously, what mcnabb said.

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Old 03-27-12, 08:36 PM   #4
dolphinboy
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Being a kid, there weren't many things that were better than getting a George Brett all-star card in a pack. Glad I got to see him play a few times at Tiger Stadium in those baby blue road uniforms that looked like really cool pajamas.

Anyone else use rubber bands to keep each team's player cards separated? I kept my cards in a shoe box. Never did like the gum, but my dad sure did. He'd buy me an entire box, with a slim jim and a slurpee at 7-11.

I guess kids now can make their cards come alive on these fancy video game consoles.

I have 2 daughters, so no video games and no baseball cards in the house!

"At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."
Old 03-27-12, 08:48 PM   #5
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

I collected for fun in the 80's as a kid, and will admit to being caught up with how much cards were worth as I got a little older. But I also refuse to forget the joy of collecting because of a love for the game.

I haven't gotten rid of any cards I own. I still enjoy going through some on occasion and remembering certain players, or reflecting on Saturdays spent at the local card shop as a kid. Hope someday to pass them down to kids/grandkids along with those memories.

One such memory that makes me chuckle--going to a flea market and rejoicing at finding a Todd Zeile Upper Deck rookie in a box of commons. Paid the guy a dime and couldn't wipe the small off of my face because I had scored such a fantastic deal. Little did I know that looking back, I paid the guy 10 times more than what the card would be worth.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 03-27-12, 09:55 PM   #6
astrochimp
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
One such memory that makes me chuckle--going to a flea market and rejoicing at finding a Todd Zeile Upper Deck rookie in a box of commons. Paid the guy a dime and couldn't wipe the small off of my face because I had scored such a fantastic deal. Little did I know that looking back, I paid the guy 10 times more than what the card would be worth.
I'll trade ya a Todd Van Poppel for it

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 03-28-12, 07:00 AM   #7
mcnabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post

Anyone else use rubber bands to keep each team's player cards separated?
The first few years of collecting, I would have the 26 teams seperated by rubberbands with the team checklist on top so I can see who I needed to complete the set. Then I would have all my doubles rubberbanded so I could make trades with my friends.

I do remember in 1980, I got a Baseball Card Set holder for Christmas, which had 30 slots so I could put all the teams in each slot without rubberbanding them.

The coolest thing about collecting cards as a kid was getting that first pack of Topps every March and wondering what the new design would look like? I would go with my mom to Wawa when she would pick up milk and bread and she would buy me a pack everytime.
Old 03-28-12, 09:02 AM   #8
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
The coolest thing about collecting cards as a kid was getting that first pack of Topps every March and wondering what the new design would look like? I would go with my mom to Wawa when she would pick up milk and bread and she would buy me a pack everytime.
Remember those days well. I'd beg/borrow a $1 to walk to the store on a daily basis and would always come home with some cards. Now, that would be impossible to do with a dollar.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 03-28-12, 09:58 AM   #9
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

My collecting peaked in the late '70s/early '80s, just when the market exploded with Fleer and Donruss offering a competing product to Topps. They were definitely trying new things like 5x7s, but fortunately I avoided the worst of the collecting frenzy McNabb describes, which sounds like the same kind of thing that afflicted the comics industry. Pretty sure I still have a few complete-season sets at my parents' house.

For the record, I don't think I ever used a baseball card in my bicycle spokes. Playing card, maybe.
Challenges: Sci-Fi 2014 | Historical 2014 | Make-Your-Own 2014 | Drive-In 2014 | Action 2014 | Academy Award 2014 | TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Comedy 2013 | Horror 2013 | Criterion 2013 | Animation 2013 | | Leap Day 2012
Old 03-28-12, 10:44 AM   #10
mcnabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
Remember those days well. I'd beg/borrow a $1 to walk to the store on a daily basis and would always come home with some cards. Now, that would be impossible to do with a dollar.
I remember some WAWA's would have the clear packs and you would look at the top and bottom of the pack for a all-star player you needed to complete the sets. I think the clear packs held atleast 25-30 cards, compared to now they probably hold less then 10.
Old 03-28-12, 12:30 PM   #11
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Aren't kids still into Pokemon cards (or whatever the popular thing is now)? I thought that a lot of comic stores (comics being another industry that kids are priced out of) were basically kept alive by the card side of the business.
Old 03-28-12, 12:38 PM   #12
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started buying sports cards in 1965. Loved those over-sized AFL cards. Too many companies started producing cards in the 1980s and I finally lost interest about 7 or 8 yrs ago.
Old 03-28-12, 12:47 PM   #13
PhantomStranger
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The same thing that damaged the comics industry happened to the baseball card market. The bubble in the late 80's/early 90's popped right as the Internet was getting off the ground and effectively killed children's interest in the product. The baseball stats can be found on the Internet for any player within a couple of clicks for free now. That bubble permanently priced kids out of the market and videogames offer much better entertainment value per dollar.
Old 03-28-12, 12:56 PM   #14
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't Marvel purchase Fleer around that time, too?
Old 03-28-12, 03:39 PM   #15
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

Everything McNabb said applied to me as well. It was fun at 1st, but when I started getting into the money side with the conventions, Beckett Price Guides, then I gradually started losing interest.

But, what really killed cards for me was when it became all about the special "Insert" cards and not about the actual cards anymore. When I went to conventions, I actually saw people putting packs up against lights to see if they can find one with a special Insert card. If they did get one, they would sometimes throw out the rest of the cards in the trash. Then I believe people started realizing that cards are so massively produced that stuff that is reportedly "Limited edition" wasn't.

I had a Shaquille O'Neal Magic's All-Rookie Team card from NBA Hoops in 1992. At one point, it peaked to almost $400. Then it started dropping like crazy. I was lucky and managed to sell it for around $80 when it fell to around $150. Now the card is barely worth $50 if anyone is even willing to buy it.

I think around 1995 or 1996, I gave up on the industry and sold everything I had of value and then dumped everything else to charities.

Then I got into Video Games... And actually I've found alot more pleasure in the thousands of dollars I've spent on games, consoles than I ever did on the same amount with cards.
Old 03-28-12, 04:01 PM   #16
JeffTheAlpaca

Quote:
One such memory that makes me chuckle--going to a flea market and rejoicing at finding a Todd Zeile Upper Deck rookie in a box of commons. Paid the guy a dime and couldn't wipe the small off of my face because I had scored such a fantastic deal. Little did I know that looking back, I paid the guy 10 times more than what the card would be worth
LOL

I remember Greg Jeffries and Kevin Maas were other big prospects who never panned out.

The inserts ruined it for me and I think I quit for good in 1994 but bought some cards from ebay the last few years like the 1984 Topps Don Mattingly but collecting cards is not a weekly or monthly passion.

Old 03-28-12, 04:16 PM   #17
Tarantino
DVD Talk Legend

I used to collect them, but then I grew up.

XBox Live - Kleeberg
Old 03-28-12, 04:23 PM   #18
BrewCrew

Collecting as many of us knew it in the 80's and early 90's is over and kids don't really collect anymore but I can still find enjoyment in them. Every once in a while I'll buy a card that I really wanted as a kid like the 84 Mattingly, 83 Gwynn, 86 Canseco, 85 McGwire etc. because they are affordable now and bring back good memories of collecting.
Old 03-28-12, 04:55 PM   #19
kefrank
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I had a Shaquille O'Neal Magic's All-Rookie Team card from NBA Hoops in 1992. At one point, it peaked to almost $400. Then it started dropping like crazy. I was lucky and managed to sell it for around $80 when it fell to around $150. Now the card is barely worth $50 if anyone is even willing to buy it.
I was a pretty big Magic fan and basketball card collector in the early 90's, so I have quite a few Shaq rookie cards. I wonder if it's even worth digging them out of the box to try and get some money for them now.

I remember how huge it was at the time to find the redemption card to send in for his Upper Deck #1 rookie card. I felt like I had won the lottery.
Old 03-28-12, 06:58 PM   #20
Axeramm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought a pack not too long ago. 5 cards for like 4 bucks.
Old 03-28-12, 07:58 PM   #21
zekeburger1979
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I was a pretty big Magic fan and basketball card collector in the early 90's, so I have quite a few Shaq rookie cards. I wonder if it's even worth digging them out of the box to try and get some money for them now.

I remember how huge it was at the time to find the redemption card to send in for his Upper Deck #1 rookie card. I felt like I had won the lottery.
A friend of mine got the Shaquille O'Neal 1992 Topps Stadium Club Refractor in a pack and traded it for another friend's Game Gear. At the time, I thought my friend got ripped off. Today, I think he got a deal!

PSN Name ZacharyTF
Old 03-28-12, 07:59 PM   #22
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a bunch of Jordan cards I've been wanting to sell. Just not sure where to sell them at.
My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 03-28-12, 11:50 PM   #23
Mr.Briggs
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started collecting in the mid 60's & quit in the mid 80's. Living in Florida I'd get most of my cards signed in spring training. In 83 I decided to try to get that years' Topps set signed. Took me 3 years (with the help of a friend in NY who got the Cactus leaguers) but I got the entire 792 card set signed. In the late 80's the card market got glutted & lots of players would refuse signing them so I said the hell with it. Over the years & in Hurricane Charley I lost all the cards I'd collected with the exception of the signed 83 set which I still own. I don't think I've bought a card in over 20 years. Between the enormous amount of cards, inserts, high prices, etc... just lost interest. It's a shame because I had such a great time growing up & even collecting until the mid 80's when I turned 30.
Old 03-29-12, 12:12 AM   #24
bluetoast
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wasn't much into baseball as a kid, but I got some cards when I was pretty little...the gum is the most memorable part to me. I still have them all in one of my drawers somewhere...
Old 03-29-12, 12:18 AM   #25
Finisher

Must've dumped like 2k on cards growing up. Seemed like a safe bet to load up on rookie cards of players who had the best shot at the HOF. Overproduction and Ebay killed the industry. Suddenly you had like 50 times more sellers than buyers.
Sponsored Links