Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-17-12, 09:44 PM   #101
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sports pet peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I was flipping around the tv looking for the Knicks game. Thought it was on ESPN, but it wasn't. I saw on the guide that there was a Sports Center Special. Curiosity got a hold of me so I broke my cardinal rule of "don't watch ESPN unless a game is on", and checked it out. They were showing a 3 hour special about the release of the NFL schedule!

Baseball season is just under way, the NBA playoff push is heating up (and the top markets are all involved) and the NHL playoffs have been incredibly exciting (and the top markets are involved)... So naturally, ESPN is doing 3 hours on the NFL.

If this isn't proof positive of how "in bed" Disney is with the NFL, I dont know what is. That is my pet peeve.
Like it or not but anything that has to do with the NFL beats almost any sport right now
All about the eyes watching the toob
Old 04-17-12, 10:24 PM   #102
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
Like it or not but anything that has to do with the NFL beats almost any sport right now
All about the eyes watching the toob
At this point I agree, but ESPN just doesn't report the sports news anymore. They create the news. What they decide is important is what it popular. So what if they decided to pay more attention to the wildly entertaining NHL playoffs? Would the NHL still be teetering on the edge of falling off the "big sports" list?

And while I know how popular the NFL is, I still find it hard to believe more people want to watch 3 hours of a schedule release special than 3 hours of NBA/MLB/NHL analyst programming.
Old 04-17-12, 10:43 PM   #103
whoopdido
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
At this point I agree, but ESPN just doesn't report the sports news anymore. They create the news. What they decide is important is what it popular. So what if they decided to pay more attention to the wildly entertaining NHL playoffs? Would the NHL still be teetering on the edge of falling off the "big sports" list?

And while I know how popular the NFL is, I still find it hard to believe more people want to watch 3 hours of a schedule release special than 3 hours of NBA/MLB/NHL analyst programming.
Not sure I entirely agree with this. For a while now ESPN has been trying their hearts out to promote and create interest in soccer. Try as they might, still nobody in the United States gives a damn about soccer.
Old 04-18-12, 06:46 AM   #104
coli
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
They were showing a 3 hour special about the release of the NFL schedule!

This is where ESPN is irrelevant to me anymore. With the release of the NFL Schedule yesterday, the first thing I did was tune into NFL Network. The NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB network have made ESPN studio shows irrelevant because you get better analysis then the loud-mouth pundits ESPN hires.

I equate ESPN these days as catering to the casual sports fan, as they try to drum up dumb debates to get viewers: Could the Kentucky Wildcats beat the Charlotte Bobcats? Yes, they actually had a show on ESPN about this pointless debate! I tune into NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB Network as atleast they are catering to the real sports fan who doesn't want to hear all the bullshit that ESPN tries to shove in our faces.

The bottom line is the only time I tune into ESPN is if I am forced to when one of my Philadelphia sports team are on.

Last edited by coli; 04-18-12 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-22-12, 01:45 PM   #105
Maxflier
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Umpires making pitchers use new balls anytime the ball goes in the dirt, is foul-tipped or anything like that.
PSN:Maxflier

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
13 days 20 hours 45 minutes
Old 04-22-12, 05:19 PM   #106
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Umpires making pitchers use new balls anytime the ball goes in the dirt, is foul-tipped or anything like that.
I remember watching The Golden Age of Baseball(maybe it was another show),anyways,an ex-player for the St. Louis Browns said that they requested that a fan return a foul ball because they ran out of baseballs. He was probably joking,but could you see that happening today with all the wasted baseballs they use.
Old 04-24-12, 04:04 PM   #107
Deadman31
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Im getting sick of athletes signing one day contracts to retire with teams. I could somewhat accept it if it was a hall of fame type player but otherwise retire and shut up about it.
Kill 4yo Og not kill her wat type Gay shit is dat cause u broke nd shit smh...#300

You cant expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!!
Old 04-24-12, 06:26 PM   #108
adrenaline78
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate the showboating. TD dances and whatnot.. just pretend you've been there before and move onto the next play.
Old 04-24-12, 06:36 PM   #109
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

Hot chick sideline reporter interviewing coach or player going into locker room.

Typical question...."What do you need to do to improve in the 2nd half?"

It adds absolutely nothing to the context of the game. It's just a damn cliche.
Old 04-25-12, 04:47 AM   #110
Howie2000
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
The obsession of pitch count in MLB. 25 years ago you had starting pitchers pitching 275-300 innings a year, closers like Bruce Sutter and Goose Gossage pitching 2-3 innings PER game, and now they have pussified pitchers. Starting pitchers can't pitch past 125 pitchers (even if they are cruising through the lineup), and closers have to START an inning and god forbid that come in when there runners in scoring position and get a real save.

You see so many guys getting Tommy John surgery these days, and makes you wonder how irrelevant the pitch count is.
Look at all the dudes who pitched in the late 70s and 80s who were on Hall Of Fames paces then their arms went out on them. While every era has it's era of guys who peter out this era was way more loaded with them.

My pet peeve is people who have the mentality like yourself that "everyone is a pussy now" and everyone in my day was tougher when the reasons for changes in the way things work are based on scientific and statistical data.
Old 04-25-12, 04:50 AM   #111
Howie2000
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post

Tony LaRussa ruined baseball by using 5-6 releiferes every game no
He may have ruined baseball to you but he won a world series title last year on the strength of a deep relief pool.
Old 04-25-12, 05:56 AM   #112
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Chad Ochosinco
Metta World Piece

use your real names morons
Old 04-25-12, 06:18 AM   #113
coli
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie2000 View Post
Look at all the dudes who pitched in the late 70s and 80s who were on Hall Of Fames paces then their arms went out on them. While every era has it's era of guys who peter out this era was way more loaded with them.

My pet peeve is people who have the mentality like yourself that "everyone is a pussy now" and everyone in my day was tougher when the reasons for changes in the way things work are based on scientific and statistical data.
Actually, I read his statement and I don't think he was saying that pitchers are pussies today or was he even saying they were better in his day, more to the fact that the MANAGERS have pussified the pitchers with the pitch count.

If you read his statement, he states that they are so quick to pull a guy now at 120-130 pitches, and they didn't do that 20-30 years ago. I am from the school of thought that you have to build up the pitchers arm strength by pitching them past 130 pitches like the previous generation did.

Now of course there are going to be pitchers from every era that blow their arms out, simply because its not normal to throw a baseball in that motion every 4-5 days. But there is something to pitchers 20-30 years pitching more complete games then they do now, and reliever who are restricted to just pitching 1 inning.

All in all, he's blaming the managers not the players
Old 05-09-12, 09:00 PM   #114
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I was reminded of it while seeing Fernando Rodney come in and pitch for the Rays tonight...

Baseball players who wear their hats "crooked" - I wish the individual teams or MLB would crack down on these knuckleheads.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 05-09-12, 09:15 PM   #115
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking the same thing while watching the game, then I wondered why these players wear caps to begin with. Shouldn't it be optional? Most games are at night, so the sun isn't an issue and for day games, if you need shade you can wear the cap or opt for sunglasses.
Old 05-21-12, 07:15 AM   #116
coli
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watching the RedSox play my Phillies this weekend always makes me remember how annoying it is to watch OCD hitters like Dustin Pedroya (after every pitch, he steps out of the batters box, adjusts both batting gloves, and then steps back in.) Raul Ibanez did the same thing when he played for the Phils, totally annoying!

Someone get these guys a shrink!
Old 05-21-12, 08:27 AM   #117
adrenaline78
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure If I mentioned it earlier in this thread.. but spitting is one of mine. Totally disgusting and unnecessary.
Old 05-21-12, 11:25 AM   #118
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
Watching the RedSox play my Phillies this weekend always makes me remember how annoying it is to watch OCD hitters like Dustin Pedroya (after every pitch, he steps out of the batters box, adjusts both batting gloves, and then steps back in.) Raul Ibanez did the same thing when he played for the Phils, totally annoying!

Someone get these guys a shrink!
What about relief pitchers(like Papbelbon) that hold the ball for two minutes inbetween pitches? Luis Ayala goes to the back of the mound to rub up the baseball when he gets a new one(which is just about every pitch).
Old 05-21-12, 11:28 AM   #119
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I was reminded of it while seeing Fernando Rodney come in and pitch for the Rays tonight...

Baseball players who wear their hats "crooked" - I wish the individual teams or MLB would crack down on these knuckleheads.
Andino did that with the Orioles and Showater said that is wasn't proper,so he stopped doing it but Pedrp Strop ( on the same team) is allowed too do it.
Old 05-21-12, 11:40 AM   #120
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

one of my biggest pet peeves is the current obsession with holding a sporting event in an arena/stadium not intended for that sporting event.

Bowl games at baseball stadia.
Outdoor hockey.
Basketball on boats.
Regular season college football in NFL stadia.

I feel like we're a few years away from the PGA setting up a par 3 course inside a football stadium.
Old 05-22-12, 05:23 PM   #121
argh923
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People complaining about sports.
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5: A Dance with Dragons
Old 05-22-12, 05:35 PM   #122
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend

Hearing people talking about a game played the night before knowing that they are only a fan "of the moment" because it is a local team and that team is in the playoffs. Listening to them talk excitedly about the game without the ability to name any of the players from the game or any specific plays that happened.
Old 05-22-12, 06:31 PM   #123
Mr. Cinema
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline78 View Post
Not sure If I mentioned it earlier in this thread.. but spitting is one of mine. Totally disgusting and unnecessary.
That's what she said.

My Countdown Counting down to: Black Swan
Old 05-22-12, 07:42 PM   #124
Apple Gooncha

Baleted.

Last edited by Apple Gooncha; 08-31-12 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-22-12, 08:07 PM   #125
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha View Post
I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan
Quoting for the record
Challenges: TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Comedy 2013 | Horror 2013 | Criterion 2013 | Animation 2013 | Sci-Fi 2013 | Historical 2013 | Make-Your-Own 2013 | Drive-In 2013 | Action 2013 | Academy Award 2013 | Leap Day 2012
Sponsored Links