DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 03-04-12, 01:23 AM   #101
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

just watched the Sarah Kaufman v Alexis Davis fight from the undercard, that was a brutal slugfest and is def. worth watching/checking out if you know where to look
Old 03-04-12, 01:58 AM   #102
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rousey's a bad bitch.
Old 03-04-12, 02:35 AM   #103
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll probably watch the conclusion of the HWGP, but other than that I've pretty much given up on Strikeforce. I can't be bothered to watch a card headlined by Keith Jardine. I used to watch every Strikeforce card too. Bellator is now my number 2. DREAM my number 3. and Strikeforce unranked.

Last edited by Hazel Motes; 03-04-12 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-04-12, 06:01 PM   #104
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

My elbow hurts just looking at this pic from last night

Spoiler:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 03-05-12, 09:35 AM   #105
DVD Talk Legend

Can't believe she didn't tap sooner. That was really stupid.
Old 03-05-12, 05:36 PM   #106

Looks like Dana has his sights set on Hector Lombard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1vLek3fuoE
Old 03-06-12, 03:18 PM   #107
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like Thiago Silva is in for Lil Nog against Gustaffson. Very cool imho.
Old 03-06-12, 09:13 PM   #108
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Frankie Edgar and Ben Henderson rematch will be this summer." - DW
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 03-06-12, 09:15 PM   #109

Via Dana White's twitter:“Frankie Edgar and Ben Henderson rematch will be this summer,”

I really think he deserves it.
Old 03-06-12, 09:15 PM   #110

damn it!
Old 03-06-12, 09:16 PM   #111
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Too slow!!
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 03-07-12, 08:35 AM   #112
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That sucks. I mean Frankie is stud for rematching Penn & Maynard but in the fight with Bendo he was clearly schooled. I'd much rather see Bendo-Pettis II & Edgar-Aldo. The only thing thats gonna be different in the rematch is that Frankie will walk out first. Lame move by the UFC imho.
Old 03-07-12, 09:12 AM   #113
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
That sucks. I mean Frankie is stud for rematching Penn & Maynard but in the fight with Bendo he was clearly schooled. I'd much rather see Bendo-Pettis II & Edgar-Aldo. The only thing thats gonna be different in the rematch is that Frankie will walk out first. Lame move by the UFC imho.
I see what you're saying but I think the UFC did right by Frankie.. I think he deserved it after what he's done by taking the rematches etc.. While I think Bendo vs Pettis will be a sic fight I personally don't think Pettis deserves a title shot yet..

Yes, I know he got screwed as he was supposed to have the shot when he came from the WEC.. However, his first fight in the UFC was a loss to Guida and then a split decision win over Jeremy Stephens (not even top 15) and then an impressive win over Lauzon (another non top 15 fighter)..

I think Pettis needs an impressive win over a top opponent..

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 03-07-12, 09:24 AM   #114
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird2340 View Post
I see what you're saying but I think the UFC did right by Frankie.. I think he deserved it after what he's done by taking the rematches etc.. While I think Bendo vs Pettis will be a sic fight I personally don't think Pettis deserves a title shot yet..

Yes, I know he got screwed as he was supposed to have the shot when he came from the WEC.. However, his first fight in the UFC was a loss to Guida and then a split decision win over Jeremy Stephens (not even top 15) and then an impressive win over Lauzon (another non top 15 fighter)..

I think Pettis needs an impressive win over a top opponent..
I definitley see where you're coming from and think you might be right. That being said, does he deserve the rematch? Yes. But the bottom line with me is that I think that a potential Edgar-Aldo fight is a real dream type match up right now. Frankie is just taking way too much damage at 155 to be a long term competitor. He's nearly been knocked out (and has even been flash knocked out by his own admission) in his last three fights. He doesn't have a BJ Penn or Dan Henderson level chin and needs to come to a weight class where he won't be at a power or size disadvantage. I think this was really evident in the fight with Bendo and with how much Ben has been improving in every fight is very very likely to happen again.
Old 03-07-12, 10:11 AM   #115
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
I definitley see where you're coming from and think you might be right. That being said, does he deserve the rematch? Yes. But the bottom line with me is that I think that a potential Edgar-Aldo fight is a real dream type match up right now. Frankie is just taking way too much damage at 155 to be a long term competitor. He's nearly been knocked out (and has even been flash knocked out by his own admission) in his last three fights. He doesn't have a BJ Penn or Dan Henderson level chin and needs to come to a weight class where he won't be at a power or size disadvantage. I think this was really evident in the fight with Bendo and with how much Ben has been improving in every fight is very very likely to happen again.
Yea, I agree.. Sucks seeing him take so much damage. I'm not sure why he's so reluctant to move down.. I mean, I'm pretty sure he barely even cuts weight now, right?

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 03-07-12, 12:03 PM   #116
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird2340 View Post
Yea, I agree.. Sucks seeing him take so much damage. I'm not sure why he's so reluctant to move down.. I mean, I'm pretty sure he barely even cuts weight now, right?
For one thing he enjoys a significant speed advantage over pretty much everyone at 155. At 145 I don't know that that would be the case.
Old 03-07-12, 02:04 PM   #117
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched that Tate-Rousey fight last night... I have to say, in all my MMA watching, I think that was the first time I felt squeamish watching what happened in a fight. Thinking about her arm bending like that still gives me the heeby jeebies! That pic linked above is kind of bad, but right before she let go it was even worse, it was literally at a 90 degree angle.

Spoiler:
Old 03-07-12, 06:37 PM   #118

Cain Velasquez vs Frank Mir for a title shot has been added to UFC 146. As well as Bigfoot Silva vs Roy Nelson. With Overeem vs Dos Santos as the headliner it'll be a pretty good night for Heavyweight tilts.
Old 03-09-12, 09:32 PM   #119
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure that ref just cost Joe Warren a few years of his life with that late stoppage.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 03-10-12, 08:33 AM   #120
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
I'm pretty sure that ref just cost Joe Warren a few years of his life with that late stoppage.

No kidding, if he didn't have brain dammage before he does now. That was brutal.
Old 03-11-12, 01:05 AM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

What the heck was he waiting for? Does he think that if the guy is still standing that he's okay? That fight should've been stopped a full TWENTY seconds earlier than it was.
Old 03-13-12, 04:48 PM   #122
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Speaking of brain damage... it isn't looking for Gary Goodridge

Ask his friends and they’ll tell you. The changes to Gary Goodridge’s personality happened the same way the brain damage did: gradually, over the course of several years. It wasn’t like he took one big blow to the head and woke up the next day with a mind that could no longer trace the thread of a conversation or remember what he’d had for dinner the night before. It was the little stuff. His speech got a little harder to understand. He didn’t tell as many jokes. He forgot things...

(full story at link, long and sad read)

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/3/13...tayed-too-long

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 03-18-12, 02:02 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
What the heck was he waiting for? Does he think that if the guy is still standing that he's okay? That fight should've been stopped a full TWENTY seconds earlier than it was.
Completely agree. Finally got around to watching this fight and was disgusted at having to see somebody take a beating like that.
Old 03-27-12, 08:58 PM   #124
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Zuffa had a busy day today. First they fired King Mo, then six of their top guys were administered surprise drug tests by the Nevada Athletic Commission:

Quote:
It was not the suspension [on a failed drug test] that cost [King Mo] his job, but a Twitter remark from later in the day where he said, "I shoulda stayed home Lol, NSAC had they mind made up b4 we got there! Lol All the research we did and disclosed to em! They ignored! LOL. . . I honestly feel like Lundvall (commissioner Pat Lundvall) was a racist bitch asking me if I can read or speak English. Go on somewhere with that bullshit bitch!!!"

It is a basic question asked at hearings that fighter are asked if they can read or speak English.
http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-t...a-cuts-king-mo

Quote:
The Nevada State Athletic Commission administered surprise drug tests this afternoon to Alistair Overeem, Cain Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos, Roy Nelson, Frank Mir and Antonio Silva following their appearance at a press conference for the 5/26 UFC 146 show in Las Vegas.
http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-t...rug-test-today

Peter Hitchens
Old 03-28-12, 08:41 PM   #125

Did anyone catch the last Bellator card? I'd say Lloyd Woodard vs Patricky Pitbull is definetly a contender for Fight of the Year.