Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
My picks in bold this weekend:

Miocic vs Dos Santos
Jedrzejczyk vs Andrade
Maia vs Masvidal
Edgar vs Rodriguez
Cejudo vs Pettis
Alvarez vs Poirier
I'm literally going the opposite way than all of your picks.
Old 05-11-17, 11:54 AM   #5477
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

I've got:

Miocic
Joanna
Maia
Frankie
Alvarez
Old 05-11-17, 09:33 PM   #5478
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm torn on the ME. Forced to choose I'd say Stipe.

My picks:

Stipe
Joanna
Maia
Frankie
Alvarez
Branch
Old 05-12-17, 01:32 PM   #5479
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Phew, everyone made weight.

Thought I'd explain some of my picks since I'm expecting alot of upsets.

Maia/Masvidal- I'm actually rooting for Maia to win. He's such a class act and deserves to fight for the title. This fight shouldn't be happening in the first place. But I think this fight is going to look eerily similar to Jacare/Whittaker. I thought Whittaker would win that fight and he did. I think Masvidal can win for the same reasons Whittaker won: clear advantage on the feet and great takedown defense.

Joanna/Andrade- Joanna is awesome, but I think her chin is a weakness. She's been knocked down and rocked in fights before, and she's never faced someone who hits as hard as Andrade. Andrade is basically the female John Lineker, or even a mini Cyborg. She's strong and durable, hits hard and can brawl unlike any other strawweight. I think Joanna isn't going to be able to handle her volume and punching power.

Alvarez/Poirer- Simply put, Alvarez is facing one of the hardest hitters in the division and he get rocked in most of his fights.

Frankie/Yair- I think the physical advantages will just be too much for Frankie. Yair is much taller and longer than Frankie and has an amazing kicking game, so he'll be able to neutralize Frankie's wrestling.
Old 05-12-17, 08:20 PM   #5480
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shitty news from the press conference today. Garbrandt vs Dillashaw in serious jeopardy because Garbrandt has a back injury.

TJ says if the fight gets cancelled he wants to fight Mighty Mouse at 125.
Old 05-12-17, 10:01 PM   #5481
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hell, TJ vs MM is a way more interesting fight for me than TJ vs GB. Oh and the UFC press conference was gold. Jones still up to his old tricks, and DC still not realizing he's getting played like a fiddle.
Old 05-13-17, 07:57 PM   #5482
DVD Talk Legend

Rooting for Joanna!

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 05-13-17, 09:04 PM   #5483
DVD Talk Legend

Round 2 of Alvarez/Poirier was a fargin' war before it got stopped. Some really good fights in the prelims tonight.
Old 05-13-17, 09:06 PM   #5484
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Round 2 of Alvarez/Poirier was a fargin' war before it got stopped. Some really good fights in the prelims tonight.
Yeah, that was a great fight. Too bad about the unintentional illegal knee.

Old 05-13-17, 10:10 PM   #5485
DVD Talk Legend

Can Frankie even hear out of those ears?

Old 05-13-17, 11:33 PM   #5486
DVD Talk Legend

Joanna beat a tough little dude.

Old 05-14-17, 12:01 AM   #5487
DVD Talk Legend

Great shot by Stipe.

Old 05-14-17, 12:30 AM   #5488

2011 JDS would have put Stipe into a coma. Instead he looked like a latter day Big Nog. Someone needs to give him the talk.

Frankie/Yair was a sick fight until it was stopped.

Good card tonight, looking forward to Maia/Woodley. I'm really hoping Maia can become champion. He's 39, its now or never.
Old 05-22-17, 08:50 AM   #5489
DVD Talk Legend

Cris Cyborg confronts, then punches Angela Magana at UFC retreat

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/5/22...fc-retreat-mma
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 05-22-17, 03:50 PM   #5490
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That dude shouldn't go around hitting Women.
Old 05-24-17, 09:33 PM   #5491

Aljamain Sterling vs Renan Barao booked for UFC 213. I like that fight. Bantamweight is a really interesting division right now. Its a shame Dillashaw/Garbrandt was called off. I really hope Dillashaw/ Mighty Mouse isn't a title fight if it happens. Benavidez has done more than enough to earn a title shot.
Old 05-28-17, 05:11 PM   #5492

fight of the year between Glover and Gus. Those uppercuts!
Old 05-30-17, 03:11 AM   #5493

Pretty weak PPV this weekend. I'm still gonna catch it at a pub though because the main event is the 2nd best fight on paper the UFC has booked right now (Cormier/Jones II being number 1). I really don't know who wins. Hard to ever bet against Aldo but Holloway has been a beast.
Old 05-30-17, 09:28 PM   #5494
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Apparently GDR is going through "personal issues" and is willing to relinquish the women's 145 belt she won against Holm in February. Cyborg and Megan Anderson, the current 145 Invicta champ, have verbally agreed to fight for the belt on July 29th.
Personal issues being scared to death of Cyborg. GDR announced she's going back to 135.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 06-01-17, 09:59 PM   #5495

Mighty Mouse duckin Dillashaw.
Old 06-03-17, 11:34 PM   #5496
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holloway looked great in there tonight. That little bastard isnt afraid to go to to to with anyone.
Old 06-05-17, 11:55 AM   #5497
DVD Talk Special Edition

DJ is going off on the UFC ...

"For years I have been a company man and kept quiet, accepting fights, doing as they asked, and always remaining humble and grateful for the opportunities provided to me through mixed martial arts. This is how I was raised through the sport. Unfortunately, UFC’s mistreatment and bullying has finally forced me to speak out. I’ve decided to speak out now as I feel like my values and character as a person and a fighter are being tarnished by an organization I’ve done nothing but sweat and bleed for over the last 7 years of my life. If it takes me speaking up and encouraging other fighters to ban together to start getting fair treatment, then so be it…

…Completely unrelated — and after the accepted fight vs. Ray Borg — Cody Garbradt injured his back and TJ Dillashaw said he wanted to fight me. Dana told me he wanted me to fight TJ, which I disagreed with for multiple reasons. First, TJ has never fought at flyweight and is unlikely to make the weight, which would then eliminate the possibility of breaking the title defense record. Second, they have already told me that a fight between Cody and I wouldn’t be sellable, so fighting TJ would have no monetary upside. Third, TJ is not a flyweight or a current champion in another weight class and was KO’ed by the flyweight whom I beat twice already. Last, Ray Borg and I already agreed to the fight, which UFC tyrannically demanded, while denying me any future PPV points.

After telling Dana my reasons, Dana angrily told me that I am fighting TJ, once again, with no other option or say in my career, and against the plans we had previously laid out. He went on further to say that if I didn’t take the fight against TJ, and drop Borg as the opponent, he would get rid of the entire flyweight division. He said, this is for TJ and I’m taking away TJ’s opportunity. That fact that he feels that what I should do in my career is for TJ, tells where his priority lies…

….In summary:

I agreed to their tyrannical demand to fight Ray Borg and Ray also agreed.

UFC has refused to give me PPV points on any future flyweight bouts, and has never given me any PPV points on previous bouts. My request was fair and the matchmaker in charge of the flyweight and bantamweight division agreed.

I gave UFC fair conditions to change the fight to TJ Dillashaw and they refused.

Dana and Sean have told me that they have no interest in marketing me or the smaller divisions, so when they say that I will make PPV money vs. Dillashaw, they leave out the fact that I have to hit certain numbers of buys, which will not be hit if they fail in marketing me like they have in my previous fights.

If TJ doesn’t make weight, I can’t break the record for the most consecutive title defenses and they have denied paying me in that circumstance.

Dana has made an effort to bully me in the media as well as in private, in order to get what he wants, even though it is not what is best for me or the sport.

If Dana says this will be a big PPV fight for me, and that they will promote it properly, then he can pay for it up front and explain to Ray Borg why he is being taken out of the fight that the UFC matchmaker in charge of the division put him in. Otherwise, it is just another lie and attempt to bully me to do something that Dana wants, but is not the right thing to do for the sport or my career.

UFC’s track record in making an effort to promote my fights, and Dana’s claim that this is a big chance for PPV dollars for me tells a different story than what Dana is stating to the public."

http://mmafrenzy.com/145156/demetrio...new-statement/
Old 06-05-17, 06:54 PM   #5498
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Warmachine was sentenced to life in prison, he can apply for parole in 36 years when he'll be 71, for his assault of Cristy Mack.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Old 06-11-17, 03:00 AM   #5499

Derrick Lewis retired after getting tko'd by Hunt.
Old 06-16-17, 05:47 PM   #5500
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Matt Hughes was involved in a truck vs. train accident and had to be airlifted to a hospital.

Apparently the train hit the bed of the truck. Hughes was bleeding and had some head trauma, but passed some of the tests they gave him in the field. Because of the head trauma they wanted to airlift him.

Last edited by MrX; 06-16-17 at 06:33 PM.