Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-03-12, 09:01 AM   #1651
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Terrell Suggs is out for the year with a torn achilles
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 05-03-12, 09:04 AM   #1652
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Wonder how he did that in the offseason.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 05-03-12, 09:06 AM   #1653
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

He was playing Basketball!... that really Suggs!
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 05-03-12, 09:19 AM   #1654
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Wonder how he did that in the offseason.
It's the second major achilles injury this offseason (Jason Peters as well)
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 05-03-12, 11:10 AM   #1655
Tarantino
DVD Talk Legend

Sucks for Suggs, but that's good for the Steelers.

XBox Live - Kleeberg
Old 05-03-12, 12:58 PM   #1656
Schloob1
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajiba View Post
Umm, yeah it is really simple, especially when the NFL league offices and the commisioner have refused yet again to release the evidence they have continually bleated about that they supposedly have and supposedly used to come to the conclusion about these suspensions, which leads to the suspicion that:

1) There isn't any evidence.
2) The evidence they do have isn't strong enough.
Guessing that since there is still most likely litigation that may happen in the courts still, this stuff has to remain confidential.
Old 05-03-12, 01:00 PM   #1657
Schloob1
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
So now it appears that after their appeal they plan to adopt the Starcaps strategy, shopping around for a friendly judge willing to intervene, and drag it all out until by the time they ultimately lose they are too old and fat to play anyway and the whole thing becomes irrelevant. If they can figure out a reason to file in Minnesota they may never serve a game of suspension.
Could see this happen for sure, to say as a Bears fan we were ticked about the Viking's boys being able to play games when they should not have was an understatement back then.
Old 05-03-12, 01:14 PM   #1658
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

im pretty sure the NFL would suspend people with no evidence... would be the smartest thing to do!
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 05-03-12, 01:16 PM   #1659
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

I'm surprised Emperor Goodell hasn't punished Junior for committing suicide.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-03-12, 01:34 PM   #1660
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I'm surprised Emperor Goodell hasn't punished Junior for committing suicide.
Did you not read that thread? He orchestrated it!
Old 05-03-12, 01:36 PM   #1661
Bill Needle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
im pretty sure the NFL would suspend people with no evidence... would be the smartest thing to do!
But look at all of the awesomely positive publicity it creates for the league. I'm sure he'll concoct a few more scandals before the start of pre-season to keep the NFL in the sports headlines. Genius!
Old 05-03-12, 01:37 PM   #1662
Bill Needle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Did you not read that thread? He orchestrated it!
That explains Vilma's immediate suspension. Deep cover. All the pieces are starting to fit together. If I don't post after this...IT WAS GOODELL!
Old 05-03-12, 01:42 PM   #1663
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

Sucks that Goddell wanted to intentionally mess with the team of the city hosting the SuperBowl!
Old 05-03-12, 01:56 PM   #1664
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

I heard Goodell was hiding under Terrell Suggs car and sliced his achilles.
Old 05-03-12, 02:07 PM   #1665
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Roger Gooddell is clearly in league with the reverse vampires and the saucer people.
Old 05-03-12, 02:23 PM   #1666
Mad Dawg
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post
Guessing that since there is still most likely litigation that may happen in the courts still, this stuff has to remain confidential.
The litigation by the players is only going to be an attempt to be allowed to have their appeal heard following the on-field protocol (by Cottrell or Shell) vs. the personal conduct rules (by Goodell).

I have no doubt that the NFL feels it has pretty damning evidence, and I respect the need to keep informants safe. However, only sharing an overview of the evidence with the NFLPA? Publically condemning the players for not meeting with the league when they know that the NFLPA is conducting their own investigation and is going to ask players to respect that? Possibly claiming that Will Smith rejected an invitation to speak to the league without actually inviting him? Going to the press with suspensions before actually informing the players affected? The NFL is, definitely in some cases and potentially in others, guilty of some pretty weak shit.

I'm not terribly bothered at the end of the day, because I'm ready for this all to be over with and I don't think there is any sort of conspiracy. I think the program was most likely blown out of proportion, but is under the microscope due to player safety. But the way the NFL is handling itself here in terms of how it shares and doesn't share its information is pretty rotten.
Old 05-03-12, 05:17 PM   #1667
Jericho
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
Roger Gooddell is clearly in league with the reverse vampires and the saucer people.
In a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner? Egads! We're through the looking glass here, people.
Old 05-07-12, 03:12 PM   #1668
Kmical
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Buffalo Bills give Alex Tanney an opportunity to compete for a QB job

Quote:
An undrafted quarterback from Monmouth College (Ill.) has earned a tryout with the Bills, and unlike most Division-III prospects, you may have seen this one before.

Alex Tanney, star of the YouTube video titled "Trick Shot Quarterback," was invited to the Bills' rookie minicamp where he will have an outside chance to earn a roster spot, according to a report from the Associated Press.

"I'm from a small school, and the only thing I've ever really wanted was an opportunity to get into a camp," Tanney said in a phone interview. "And now I have that in Buffalo, so I'm anxious to get out there and compete for a spot."

Tanney, 23, also reportedly had an invite to the Steelers' minicamp but chose to take the opportunity with the Bills, who have an open roster spot behind starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and backup Tyler Thigpen. Buffalo also hosted free agent quarterback Vince Young for a workout this past week and signed undrafted free agent Aaron Corp to compete in camp.

Tanney, who is 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, is the all-time D-III leader in passing yards (14,249) and touchdown passes (157). If he plays in an NFL game, he will be only the third player from Monmouth (Ill.) to do so and the first since the 1930s.

The YouTube video helped Tanney gain national notoriety, which has over 1.3 million views as of the time of this article. The video displays Tanney showing off pinpoint accuracy and great arm strength. He is seen hitting goalposts from 50 to 60 yards away and throwing footballs through basketball hoops from across a gym.

http://www.afceastdaily.com/2012/05/...-qb-tanny.html
Video for those who don't follow the link in the story. Tim Tebow - you might want to ask this guy for advice on how to throw accurately

Last edited by Kmical; 05-07-12 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-07-12, 06:26 PM   #1669
shadowhawk2020
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have been thinking the NFL hasn't released the evidence to save face FOR the Saints. Apparently they have thousands of pages of documentation, emails internal memos and who knows what else. This is the type of stuff that is never supposed to see the light of day. Who knows is said about the league, their team, teammates, other teams and players, fans etc.
Old 05-07-12, 07:22 PM   #1670
Decker
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
Buffalo Bills give Alex Tanney an opportunity to compete for a QB job

Video for those who don't follow the link in the story. Tim Tebow - you might want to ask this guy for advice on how to throw accurately

That seriously made my day. How could that guy not be better than Fitzpatrick?

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 05-08-12, 07:32 PM   #1671
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

why did none of you tell me about this? http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...163738183.html
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 05-08-12, 09:21 PM   #1672
Tarantino
DVD Talk Legend

awesome tagline..."Accused of being Deadbeat Dad"

XBox Live - Kleeberg
Old 05-10-12, 08:30 AM   #1673
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Ha. The Rams are asking for a retractable roof in their counter-proposal to the CVC.

http://fox2now.com/2012/05/09/fox-2-...-on-dome-deal/
Old 05-10-12, 08:59 AM   #1674
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Oh for the love of..... These teams demanding retractable roofs have a lot of nerve. It would be open probably 3 or 4 times tops out of the 10 games you play (and you're not going to have it open for conventions, Final Fours, etc). I can see the desire to have them for baseball parks, but for football, they are a complete waste of money. Pay for it your damn self if you want it.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-10-12, 09:27 AM   #1675
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

Found this with regard to Lucas Oil Stadium and its retractable roof.
Quote:
excerpt

Despite these constraints, the roof on the stadium—which opened in 2008—has been retracted for 21 Colts home games. Texas Stadium, the $1.1 billion home of the Dallas Cowboys that opened in 2009, has opened its roof for two games.
http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2011/12...AMS/post/31539

Also, an interesting article on Super Bowls under a roof.