Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-03-12, 02:55 PM   #1401
Shannon Nutt
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Now was a good chance to change the most hideous helmet and uniform in all of sports - the Bengals. But they didn't do it. Maybe it would've changed their fortunes like when Tampa Bay changed from the creamsicles.
Isn't it a team decision to change the logo? Nike did a pretty good job in that they DIDN'T change much and while the swoosh is in several locations, it isn't that noticable. And trust me, the Bungles were a lot worse BEFORE the stripes. At least since then they've been to a couple of Super Bowls and have made plenty of playoff appearances.
Old 04-03-12, 03:05 PM   #1402
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Isn't it a team decision to change the logo? Nike did a pretty good job in that they DIDN'T change much and while the swoosh is in several locations, it isn't that noticable. And trust me, the Bungles were a lot worse BEFORE the stripes. At least since then they've been to a couple of Super Bowls and have made plenty of playoff appearances.
I think the year they switched their helmets (from the boring Bengals text) was 1981 - the same year they made their first SB.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 04-03-12, 03:52 PM   #1403
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Leaf was interviewed on sports radio a couple weeks ago talking about Peyton and seemed reasonably thoughtful and self-deprecating, and I thought he might be in an OK space. Apparently he will always be a punk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
Looks like outside of that Seahawks monstrosity, the other uniforms are basically the same. Guess the Seahawks are the University of Oregon of the NFL.
I guess so
Challenges: Sci-Fi 2014 | Historical 2014 | Make-Your-Own 2014 | Drive-In 2014 | Action 2014 | Academy Award 2014 | TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Comedy 2013 | Horror 2013 | Criterion 2013 | Animation 2013 | | Leap Day 2012
Old 04-03-12, 06:12 PM   #1404
Rob V
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First Mikel Leshoure busted for pot twice in two weeks now Nick Fairley! The Lions first two picks in last years draft addicted to the chronic. Jesus titty-fucking Christ when will these fucking athletes learn?!!?
Old 04-03-12, 06:40 PM   #1405
Burgundy LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Leaf was interviewed on sports radio a couple weeks ago talking about Peyton and seemed reasonably thoughtful and self-deprecating, and I thought he might be in an OK space. Apparently he will always be a punk.
We all know addiction is a multi-dimensional monster. It can take many times to be 100% clean, then to remain clean. Leaf clearly hasn't reached that place. And he may not get the chance, because he's given quite a few already.

I wouldn't call him a punk because of that. But to each their own.
Old 04-03-12, 07:03 PM   #1406
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
First Mikel Leshoure busted for pot twice in two weeks now Nick Fairley! The Lions first two picks in last years draft addicted to the chronic. Jesus titty-fucking Christ when will these fucking athletes learn?!!?
Don't forget their 7th rounder too:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T3uPC6uXT2s

Old 04-03-12, 07:07 PM   #1407
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue View Post
We all know addiction is a multi-dimensional monster. It can take many times to be 100% clean, then to remain clean. Leaf clearly hasn't reached that place. And he may not get the chance, because he's given quite a few already.

I wouldn't call him a punk because of that. But to each their own.
Fair enough. As I said, he seemed OK on the radio, and I grant that we don't know the full story of what happened here. I just think my knowledge of him throughout the years has pretty firmly established him in my mind as a punk until I'm convinced otherwise. Fair? Maybe not, but I'm going on what I know.
Challenges: Sci-Fi 2014 | Historical 2014 | Make-Your-Own 2014 | Drive-In 2014 | Action 2014 | Academy Award 2014 | TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Comedy 2013 | Horror 2013 | Criterion 2013 | Animation 2013 | | Leap Day 2012
Old 04-04-12, 09:57 AM   #1408
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
well, have you been to Detroit?

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-04-12, 10:50 AM   #1409
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Joe Flacco calls it like he sees it

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...nk-best-qb-nfl

But hey, remember when Eli Manning said he was on Tom Brady's level and everyone laughed at him. Then he went on to make everyone look like a dick? Maybe Flacco is trying to do the same thing.
Old 04-04-12, 11:01 AM   #1410
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
Looks like outside of that Seahawks monstrosity, the other uniforms are basically the same. Guess the Seahawks are the University of Oregon of the NFL.

They might be decent unis if they just ditched the puke neon yellow in there. It makes my eyes bleed.
Old 04-04-12, 03:26 PM   #1411
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Eagles sign T Demetress (formerly Demetrius) Bell to a 5 year deal to replace Jason Peters. Only the first year is guaranteed, and the Eagles can cut him after 2012 without a cap issue.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 04-05-12, 08:28 AM   #1412
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Before final game, Gregg Williams urged Saints to injure 49ers
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 5, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT

ReutersBefore his final game as defensive coordinator of the New Orleans Saints, Gregg Williams stepped before his players and urged them to physically hurt players on the 49ers.

Audio of Williams’ speech to the Saints’ defense was captured by filmmaker Sean Pamphilon, who is working on a documentary about former Saints player Steve Gleason, who is suffering from ALS. Pamphilon has put part of the audio of the profanity-filled speech on YouTube.

Pamphilon also passed on the audio to Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports because, he said, he was extremely uncomfortable with what Williams said about trying to hurt 49ers quarterback Alex Smith and other players. Williams, who masterminded the Saints’ bounty program, hinted that he would financially reward a Saints player who hurts a 49ers player.

“At one point Williams says, ‘We hit [expletive] Smith right there’ – then he points under his chin [and continues] – ‘remember me.’ Then he rubs his thumb against his index and middle fingers – the cash sign – and says, ‘I got the first one. I got the first one. Go get it. Go lay that [expletive] out,’” Pamphilon told Silver.

Williams has long loved the phrase, “Kill the head and the body will die,” and he used that phrase in talking to his players. He also specifically told them to go for the head of 49ers running back Frank Gore.

“We’ve got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore’s head,” Williams told his players. “We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways.”

Williams also talked about trying to inflict a knee injury on 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree and referenced 49ers receiver Kyle Williams, who has had multiple concussions.

“We need to find out in the first two series of the game, the little wide receiver, No. 10, about his concussion,” Gregg Williams told his players about Kyle Williams. “We need to [expletive] put a lick on him, move him to decide. He needs to decide.”

Gregg Williams has already been indefinitely suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. This audio may make it difficult for Williams ever to get reinstated. This is the smoking gun that makes crystal clear that Williams wanted his players not just to play tough, physical defense, but to injure their opponents.

hurts the appeal for Sean Payton and say good bye to Gregg Williams... and to think celebrities and the STATE of Louisana thinks the punishment is too harsh... bwahahahah they are all lucky they got off this easy...
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 04-05-12, 08:46 AM   #1413
aktick
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I can't see any way they let Williams coach again.
Old 04-05-12, 08:48 AM   #1414
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Enjoy your forced retirement Williams!
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 04-05-12, 09:20 AM   #1415
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

one thing is to give your fire and kill speech to your defense... but to specifically go for certain injuries and target it... plus name it and then make the money thing hand gesture.... thats the big no no
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 04-05-12, 09:55 AM   #1416
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Linky: http://bit.ly/9BexkT

Zombo.com (New Orleans SportsNet) is reporting that the Saints have agreed to terms with Hue Jackson, former Raider HC and currently an Assistant Coach with Cincinnati, to take over for Payton during his one-year suspension. New Orleans is giving the Bengals their first round pick this year, and a second round pick next year that will become a first if the Saints make it to the NFC Championship Game following the 2012 season.
Old 04-05-12, 09:59 AM   #1417
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Old 04-05-12, 10:00 AM   #1418
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I think the year they switched their helmets (from the boring Bengals text) was 1981 - the same year they made their first SB.
You, sir, are correct. The "pumpkinhead" helmets were retired following the 1980 season, and the Bengals went to Super Bowl XVI immediately after switching to stripes.

The only rumored changes to the Bengals' uniform - and these are RUMORS mind you - is the possible introduction of an alternate helmet that reverses the black and orange colors.
Old 04-05-12, 10:04 AM   #1419
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
hurts the appeal for Sean Payton and say good bye to Gregg Williams... and to think celebrities and the STATE of Louisana thinks the punishment is too harsh... bwahahahah they are all lucky they got off this easy...
a little more in this article: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...o-49ers-speech

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-05-12, 10:13 AM   #1420
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
that gregg williams is one crazy f... thanks for the article... really goes deep to what he said
Old 04-05-12, 10:50 AM   #1421
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Good riddance to Williams. Holy shit.
Old 04-05-12, 10:54 AM   #1422
Drexl
DVD Talk Legend

From what I've read though, Payton's appeal was more about him wanting to talk to Goodell again about the parameters of the suspension. I don't think he did it with any hope of actually getting it overturned.
Old 04-05-12, 10:58 AM   #1423
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

geez... Goddell is a saint for not punishing them even worse.... Payton knew what was going on...
Old 04-05-12, 01:01 PM   #1424
redrum
DVD Talk Gold Edition

really glad this scumbag won't be coaching on our team

Old 04-05-12, 04:09 PM   #1425
dom56
DVD Talk Platinum Edition