DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-07-11, 12:57 AM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

tOfficial Penn State/Sandusky Scandal Thread

Seems like this needs its own thread as it will obviously carry over many weeks of College FB. I came in to post the latest news I just saw - and it infuriated me even further. Curley and Schultz plan to use a simple defense: Because the victims were not Penn State students the mandatory reporting laws did not apply to them.

Link

Quote:
Farrell told The Associated Press on Sunday that the mandated reporting rules only apply to people who come into direct contact with children. He also said the statute of limitations for the summary offense with which Schultz is charged is two years, so it expired in 2004....

Neither Schultz nor Curley appear to have had direct contact with the boys Sandusky is accused of abusing, including the one involved in the eyewitness account prosecutors say they were given. Prosecutors say Sandusky encountered victims through The Second Mile, a charity he founded for at-risk children...

The law "applies only to children under the care and supervision of the organization for which he works, and that's Penn State, it's not The Second Mile," Farrell said of his client. "This child, from what we know, was a Second Mile child."
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 11-07-11, 01:03 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: tOfficial Penn State/Sandusky Scandal Thread

AD Curley is taking "Administrative Leave" to fight the accusations...VP Shultz is "retiring."
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 11-07-11, 01:06 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

One last rather amazing additional tidbit:

Deadspin: As Recently As 2009, Jerry Sandusky Was Running An Overnight Football Camp For Kids On Penn State Campuses

Quote:
Of the child sexual assault charges against former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky, the fact that stands out most is that Joe Paterno, Tim Curley and Gary Schultz were aware of incidents as early as 2002. Curley testified to the grand jury that he "advised Sandusky that he was prohibited from bringing youth onto the Penn State campus from that point forward." Seven years later, in the summer of 2009, Sandusky was still hosting overnight camps for children as young as 9 at other Penn State schools.
Old 11-07-11, 01:07 AM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

And if you are wondering what happened, here is a link to the Grand Jury report. It's extremely disturbing.
Old 11-07-11, 01:51 AM   #5
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

It says in the grand jury report that, I believe it was the AD who said it, that the ban on him bringing kids on campus was unenforceable.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 11-07-11, 06:32 AM   #6
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the big question now: will this mean Joe Paterno will be "quietly" asked to retire at the end of the current season and he'll be replaced by someone like Greg Schiano, the current coach of Rutgers who has expressed some interest in coaching at Penn State?

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 11-07-11, 07:02 AM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know about a replacement, but he has to be gone.
Old 11-07-11, 07:57 AM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
Here's the big question now: will this mean Joe Paterno will be "quietly" asked to retire at the end of the current season and he'll be replaced by someone like Greg Schiano, the current coach of Rutgers who has expressed some interest in coaching at Penn State?
One would hope.

As I said in the football thread, I think, and other alumni agree with me, that not only Paterno needs to go but all of his senior coaching staff. They have all been there for decades and I'm sure were all privy to some of this information. To allow this monster to lurk around as a Coach Emeritus is sickening to all of us.

And university President, Graham Spanier, needs to be fired too. According to report, he knew too.

Last night was a bad night for a fund raising call from Penn State. The poor girl got the wrath of my Penn State alumni wife.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 11-07-11, 07:58 AM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, we've been hearing the next coach will be Urban Meyer.

Report: Penn State targeting Meyer to replace Paterno

Old 11-07-11, 07:58 AM   #10
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As a Penn State Alum, this is just awful. I've always taken pride in Penn State academically and their sport programs operated above the standards of many a program that tried to compete at the national level. Now this.

I have close friends that as a young married couple lived at the Second Mile home as the primary care givers back in the late 80's. While that pre-dates this scandal, I can only imagine how gut wrenching it is for them to hear about these allegations. I was introduced to Sandusky at a Second Mile event. The Second Mile helps troubled young people find themselves by providing a structure that was missing from their lives (young people typically from broken homes or worse). Back in the 80's, Sandusky looked liked he was carved from chiseled stone, a large imposing figure to say the least. Well respected for his charitable work in State College, to now hear the allegations that he preyed on those most vulnerable in society (disenfranchised youths) is a complete and utter nightmare.

There are crimes and there are crimes. There are visual images and there are things we just can't even imagine. But, allegations that Sandusky preyed on young teens in the Penn State Locker Room showers is as bad as it gets and plays into the worse homosexual stereotypes and society's uneasiness.

Then there is matter of PSU officials responsible at their core for protecting and nurturing young people. To do anything but to hold that as the most sacred of values is incomprehensible to me. This saddens me to my core.
Old 11-07-11, 08:01 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

In this case, "young teens" also meant 10-11 year old boys. Scared boys.

Old 11-07-11, 09:02 AM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizz View Post
Curley and Schultz plan to use a simple defense: Because the victims were not Penn State students the mandatory reporting laws did not apply to them.
What a monumental piece of shit.
Old 11-07-11, 09:06 AM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

So when Joe said McQueary came to him distraught over the shower incident but didn't give specifics, is he saying he thought it was just an innocent game of grab ass with a 10 year old and not rape-rape?
Old 11-07-11, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
So when Joe said McQueary came to him distraught over the shower incident but didn't give specifics, is he saying he thought it was just an innocent game of grab ass with a 10 year old and not rape-rape?
Paterno is said to have reported the matter immediately to the Penn State President. Your comment indicates that you were not happy with how he handled the matter. What did you want him to do?
Old 11-07-11, 09:39 AM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

You indicate the same in your previous post. What did you want PSU officials to do?

Call the cops and keep the POS away from the campus.

Does it say in the grand jury report what Joe says he was told?
Old 11-07-11, 09:41 AM   #16
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
Paterno is said to have reported the matter immediately to the Penn State President. Your comment indicates that you were not happy with how he handled the matter. What did you want him to do?
Talk to the police? I can see a graduate assistant wanting to go up the chain of command, but Paterno can do whatever he wants in this program. If he was truly concerned he wouldn't have simply passed it up the chain. Even if he did, when he saw nothing was really being done, he should have then gone outside the administrative chain and talked to the police.

They need to get rid of anyone who was in any way related to this.
Old 11-07-11, 10:13 AM   #17
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I haven't heard anything. I don't know how others feel but I really don't think the team should suffer for the actions of these clowns.
So the football is more important than sending a message to the administration?
Old 11-07-11, 10:29 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt something like that could get fully organized enough to be effective anyway.

People like CRM's wife going off on fundraisers is more likely to send the appropriate message.
Old 11-07-11, 10:42 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

I simply don't understand this. Who could hear a report of a grown man having sex with a young boy and turn the other way? I know it happens, but it boggles my mind.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 11-07-11, 10:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
Talk to the police? I can see a graduate assistant wanting to go up the chain of command, but Paterno can do whatever he wants in this program. If he was truly concerned he wouldn't have simply passed it up the chain. Even if he did, when he saw nothing was really being done, he should have then gone outside the administrative chain and talked to the police.

They need to get rid of anyone who was in any way related to this.
With the information at hand, you can't have one standard for Paterno and another for some assistant coach. The grad. assistant went up the chain of command and so did Joe. The buck stops at the top. If Paterno didn't follow the chain of command that would be another matter. Paterno is the football coach, not C.I.U. - University Park. And to suggest that Paterno should be responsible for following up on the President of the University and his senior staff to make sure they do their darn jobs is unwarranted.

However, I do wonder why anyone that could eye-witness that sort of crime, did not immediately call the police.

Last edited by ctyankee; 11-07-11 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-07-11, 10:52 AM   #21
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think any of them that knew about it should have went to the police when they saw nothing was done, including the graduate assistant. As I said, I think anyone who had anything to do with this should be gone. Going up the chain of command is the right way to start, but when nothing is done, you need to break out and go to the police to make sure that 10 year old boys aren't being raped in the locker room.

I do think Paterno should be held to a higher standard. He's the coach. It's his locker room. He's a Dan Wetzel article that pretty much says what I feel. He did what was required by law, but that doesn't mean he did everything he should have.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...uestions110611
Old 11-07-11, 10:58 AM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
I wanted McQueary AND Joe to immediately call the police and tell them they saw Sandusky raping a child. Why is there a chain of command process in something like this?

Old 11-07-11, 11:17 AM   #23
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Does it say in the grand jury report what Joe says he was told?
This is what the report says. It is kind of vague:

Quote:
He then heard rhythmic, slapping sounds. He believed the sounds to be those of sexual activity. As the graduate assistant put the sneakers in the locker, he looked into the shower. He saw a naked boy, Victim 2, whose age he estimated to be ten years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant left immediately, distraught.
Quote:
The next morning, a Saturday, the graduate assistant telephoned Paterno and went to Paterno's home, where he reported what he had seen.
Quote:
Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant's report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno called Tim Curley, Penn State's athletic director and Paterno's immediate superior, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy.

So initially, Curley and Schultz claim that it was never conveyed to them that this was anything more than "horsing around" in the shower. Yet Paterno testifies that there was something of a "sexual nature" going on. I'd like to know what McQueary is saying he told Paterno because they all seem to be disputing that McQueary told them details of what he saw. I find that hard to believe and so did the Grand Jury.

Old 11-07-11, 11:22 AM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
I think any of them that knew about it should have went to the police when they saw nothing was done, including the graduate assistant. As I said, I think anyone who had anything to do with this should be gone. Going up the chain of command is the right way to start, but when nothing is done, you need to break out and go to the police to make sure that 10 year old boys aren't being raped in the locker room.
My thoughts exactly. Chain of command is fine if something gets done right away, but after nothing happens? Straight to the police.
Old 11-07-11, 11:27 AM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think it's fine. I think you immediately confront the guy and save the kid. I don't get the chain of command argument.