Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-09-11, 09:34 AM   #126
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: tOfficial Penn State/Sandusky Scandal Thread

Paterno's statement on retirement:

Quote:
I am absolutely devastated by
the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families,
and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in
mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have
been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of
this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single
minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I
want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.
This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit
of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the
season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my
life doing everything I can to help this University.
Unbelievable. He's putting himself over as a hero by announcing his retirement now so the Board of Trustees can focus on more important matters.
Old 11-09-11, 09:57 AM   #127
DVD Talk Hero

Joe made a huge mistake and he has to go but he's also done a lot of great things. He deserves to go out this way. I'm not reading it as trying to be a hero.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 11-09-11, 10:07 AM   #128
DVD Talk Legend

I was pretty caught up with work recently, and really only heard the details of this whole situation yesterday for the first time. All I can say is even though my time at Wisconsin was over before PSU joined the Big Ten I would have been honored to play against them. Though I wouldn't call myself a fan of PSU per se, I always had the utmost respect for their program and the university. One of my best friends has a daughter who is currently an athlete there and though I tried to steer her first to Madison I gave her my blessings on her (my) second choice. While obviously my heart goes out first to the victims involved, I feel just awful for PSU students and fans who did nothing to deserve this scrutiny. The only thing perhaps harder to fathom would be hearing this had happened at Nebraska under Tom Osborne.
Old 11-09-11, 10:09 AM   #129
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline78 View Post
What I don't get is the person who walked by and saw this happening didn't 1) step in and do something immediately or 2) go to the police and tell them. Not sure why they would need to go tell the coach??
That's what I fail to understand as well. There should have been instant action by stepping in and then calling the cops.

Everyone involved (including JoPa) should share the responsibility of failing these kids and the subsequent cover up.
2008 Stanley Cup Champions, Detroit Red Wings
2008 NBA Champions, Boston Celtics
Old 11-09-11, 10:19 AM   #130
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory02 View Post
Unbelievable. He's putting himself over as a hero by announcing his retirement now so the Board of Trustees can focus on more important matters.
If he didn't announce his retirement, would you have been happy? No. So, he can't win with you either way ... right? Wait, what if he had asked you to write his retirement announcement for him? Unbelievable indeed.
Old 11-09-11, 10:25 AM   #131
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
I was pretty caught up with work recently, and really only heard the details of this whole situation yesterday for the first time. All I can say is even though my time at Wisconsin was over before PSU joined the Big Ten I would have been honored to play against them. Though I wouldn't call myself a fan of PSU per se, I always had the utmost respect for their program and the university. One of my best friends has a daughter who is currently an athlete there and though I tried to steer her first to Madison I gave her my blessings on her (my) second choice. While obviously my heart goes out first to the victims involved, I feel just awful for PSU students and fans who did nothing to deserve this scrutiny. The only thing perhaps harder to fathom would be hearing this had happened at Nebraska under Tom Osborne.
And it is still great. Those students shouldn't question that. Penn State IS those students, not administrators and coaches. Despite this travesty, PSU athletes excel on and off the field. It is very rare to hear even a PSU football player who cannot speak coherently or who does not excel in his life after sports.

Joe is retiring. His whole staff will be cleared out. The President and his lackey will go. Penn State will be reborn but with the same values we thought we had all along.

Old 11-09-11, 10:52 AM   #132
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Joe made a huge mistake and he has to go but he's also done a lot of great things. He deserves to go out this way.
He made a huge mistake that probably allowed other kids to get raped that would not have been raped had he called the cops instead of putting his football program above the kids. He doesn't deserve anything other than a swift boot to the curb and a ruined legacy.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 11-09-11 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-09-11, 10:57 AM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Paterno should've stepped down today. Not at the end of the year. It's the cheap way out. It's overwhelmingly likely that he was retiring this year even if this hadn't happened. So he's making himself look like a hero and essentially taking no punishment for it.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 11-09-11, 10:58 AM   #134
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Osborne had Lawrence Phillips... which, while not on this level, was still pretty damn bad.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 11-09-11, 11:04 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
Paterno should've stepped down today. Not at the end of the year. It's the cheap way out. It's overwhelmingly likely that he was retiring this year even if this hadn't happened. So he's making himself look like a hero and essentially taking no punishment for it.
Really? Before this broke I expected Paterno would be back yet again for another season. So what is this "overwhelming" likelihood of yours based on?
Old 11-09-11, 11:05 AM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

Brett McMurphy of CBS, among others.
Old 11-09-11, 11:09 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
And it is still great. Those students shouldn't question that. Penn State IS those students, not administrators and coaches. Despite this travesty, PSU athletes excel on and off the field. It is very rare to hear even a PSU football player who cannot speak coherently or who does not excel in his life after sports.

Joe is retiring. His whole staff will be cleared out. The President and his lackey will go. Penn State will be reborn but with the same values we thought we had all along.
Well said. Like the phoenix, we will rise from the ashes ... but sadly those ashes will take a long time to die out.
Old 11-09-11, 11:10 AM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
He made a huge mistake that probably allowed other kids to get raped that would not have been raped had he called the cops instead of putting his football program above the kids. He doesn't deserve anything other than a swift boot to the curb and a ruined legacy.
I can't argue with this sentiment. I don't necessarily agree with it though.

Old 11-09-11, 11:15 AM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
Old 11-09-11, 11:17 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
Brett McMurphy of CBS, among others.
All I could find from McMurphy was a list of coaches that have come and gone since Paterno started coaching.

Your source? Link?
Old 11-09-11, 11:28 AM   #141
DVD Talk Hero

There were unsubstantiated rumors of Urban Meyer buying State College real estate that have been debunked. That's about the only inkling I've heard of Joe retiring before this.

But I did have a feeling he would with his fragility and inability to be on the sideline without potentially getting seriously injured.

Old 11-09-11, 11:37 AM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

I know I had seen it before, but I can't find it. But he did retweet this today:

http://twitter.com/#!/McMurphyCBS/st...00597867393024
Old 11-09-11, 11:55 AM   #143
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like Spanier could be gone by the end of the day.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/brea...medium=twitter

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 11-09-11, 12:07 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Sounds like Spanier could be gone by the end of the day.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/brea...medium=twitter
How can they possible allow Paterno remain if they force the President out? Won't that send an even worse message than this whole mess already has? They both obviously need to go immediately.
Old 11-09-11, 12:18 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
How can they possible allow Paterno remain if they force the President out? Won't that send an even worse message than this whole mess already has? They both obviously need to go immediately.
That's a valid viewpoint but not mine. The president and his key staff did nothing when Paterno reported this to them. That's on them. Sorry, but people screaming for Paterno's blood have the right to do so, but as an ESPN analyst just said on TV, it's because Paterno is the most "delicious."

The PSU board may be talking about putting in controls so this never happens again but the reality is that if controls weren't in place that's on Spanier and his staff. Where was due diligence since 2002 at least? Absolute disgrace and Spanier needs to go immediately.
Old 11-09-11, 12:27 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
Sorry, but people screaming for Paterno's blood have the right to do so, but as an ESPN analyst just said on TV, it's because Paterno is the most "delicious."
That is a silly statement. People calling for Paterno to get the boot want everyone else who knew about it to get the boot also.
Old 11-09-11, 12:59 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

If Paterno is ultimately going to go in large part because of this, what purpose does it serve to wait? Why drag it out through more games and the entire bowl season? What good comes from that?
Old 11-09-11, 01:09 PM   #148
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
An Open Letter From a Buckeye to a Nittany Lion

Dear Penn State Fan/Alumni,

You don't know me. Sure, we may have seen each other once or twice at a road game or a tailgate, but aside from a passing glance, and an occasional hello, we are strangers. Heck, we're actually more like enemies. After all, I'm a fan of The Ohio State University -- tOSU, or O$U as you might call it. Since you guys joined the Big Ten Conference in the early-90s we've built a pretty spirited rivalry, with more than its fair share of heroics, heartbreaks, and triumphs. To be sure, we've both crossed the line on occasion. Urine balloon barbs and incontinence jabs have clouded the fact that we're actually not that different, you and I. We're both proud disciples of two of the most storied programs in all of college football, and although you'd be hard pressed to get a Buckeye fan to say it to your face, we respect the hell out of you and your traditions.

I'm writing because I know how you feel right now. The actions of your beloved president, coach, and athletic director have shaken your program to the core and have threatened your own faith in humanity. You're shocked that someone you idolized could have done something so stupid, so selfish, so infuriatingly contradictory to the values they spent decades promoting. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing what happened in Columbus to what's alleged to have happened in State College. Only Bob Ryan is stupid enough to draw that parallel. What I am saying is that I know what it feels like to have a personal hero disgraced. To watch someone you admire, who did more good in a week than most of us do in our entire lifetimes get publicly shamed, and forced out under a cover of darkness. To see a legacy irrevocably stained and treasured accomplishments tarnished. To have one person's mistakes drag your university's good name through the mud. To be labeled an accomplice to the crime by virtue of your fan allegiances.

As I was driving to work this morning, I heard one of your own call in to The Herd and explain that he didn't know how he was going to unapologetically put on the Blue and White and sing "Fight On, State" this Saturday. He's not the only one to express that sentiment. Perhaps you're feeling a little this way.

This is what I want to say to you. You are not Joe Paterno. You are not Tim Curley. You are not Gary Schultz. You are not Graham Spanier, and you are sure as hell not Jerry Sandusky. Their alleged sins are not your own. They may be the most recognizable faces of your beloved program, but they are not Penn State. They are not a 156 year old center of higher learning. They are not a century of football tradition. Their flaws cannot eclipse the innumerable scientific, artistic, and humanitarian contributions your university, and its 44,000 students and 570,000 living alumni have made and will continue to make to the world at large.

The spirit of a program, of a university, and of a state is so much bigger than any one person.

So do yourself a favor, and stop thinking about Joe Paterno. No amount of discussion can change what happened, and his bed is made for better or worse. Recognize that only time can tell how he will be remembered. (For what it's worth, I hope beyond hope that the facts turn out favorably.) Say a prayer for the children, and on Saturday, put on your Silas Redd jersey, brave the cold, and cheer your ass off for your team.

Not because you support the coaches, because you support the men on the field. Not because you endorse the administration, because you believe in the University as a collective whole. Penn State University has always been (and will always be) about one thing and one thing only: making life better.

It's not just a motto, it's a mission. And you're still a part of that.

Pray for the children. Cheer for the team. And in two weeks, make the drive to Columbus, so you can watch us bury your Big Ten title aspirations in person.

Sincerely,

A Buckeye Fan

Old 11-09-11, 01:11 PM   #149
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
That's a valid viewpoint but not mine. The president and his key staff did nothing when Paterno reported this to them. That's on them. Sorry, but people screaming for Paterno's blood have the right to do so, but as an ESPN analyst just said on TV, it's because Paterno is the most "delicious."

The PSU board may be talking about putting in controls so this never happens again but the reality is that if controls weren't in place that's on Spanier and his staff. Where was due diligence since 2002 at least? Absolute disgrace and Spanier needs to go immediately.
I agree. Paterno has been disgraced and has fell on the sword. I am satisfied with this outcome.

Old 11-09-11, 01:12 PM   #150
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
If Paterno is ultimately going to go in large part because of this, what purpose does it serve to wait? Why drag it out through more games and the entire bowl season? What good comes from that?
Ask his players who gave him a standing ovation when he told them his decision.