DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-08-11, 07:57 PM   #101
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Re: tOfficial Penn State/Sandusky Scandal Thread

Holy shit, no wonder they didn't let him speak to the press.

This is what Paterno said tonight to a bunch of students outside his house who were there to support him

Quote:
"It's hard for me to tell you how much this means to me. I've lived for this place, and I've lived for people like you guys and girls, and I'm just so happy to see that you could feel so strongly about us and about your school. The kids that were victims or whatever they want to say, I think we all ought to say a prayer for them. Tough life, when people do certain things to you. Anyway, you've been great. Everything's great, all right."
This sounds like something a grandparent would say and you'd just nod your head and change the subject.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 11-08-11, 08:37 PM   #102
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post

This is what Paterno said tonight to a bunch of students outside his house who were there to support him

This sounds like something a grandparent would say and you'd just nod your head and change the subject.
Addressing people from your window sill. Yikes.

"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 11-08-11, 09:43 PM   #103
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Quote:
"It's hard for me to tell you how much this means to me. I've lived for this place, and I've lived for people like you guys and girls, and I'm just so happy to see that you could feel so strongly about us and about your school. The kids that were victims or whatever they want to say, I think we all ought to say a prayer for them. Tough life, when people do certain things to you. Anyway, you've been great. Everything's great, all right."
I like how the ESPN ticker has editted out the "or whatever they want to say" part of that sentence. Makes it seem 1000% less batshit crazy.
Old 11-08-11, 10:17 PM   #104
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's a BIG question--though a real hypothetical one--that needs to be asked: did Sandusky engage in his deviant activity beyond Pennsylvania state borders? If they can prove this, it is not longer a Pennsylvania state case--it is now a FEDERAL case because Joe Paterno, other Penn State football program coaches, the athletic director and even the university President could be charged with aiding and abetting child abuse across state lines. That right there could result in a possible FBI or US Marshals Service raid on Penn State, and gawd, talk about a really ugly scene if that happens!

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 11-08-11, 10:29 PM   #105
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Board of Trustees had a conference call this evening and decided to...appoint a special committee to investigate. They didn't appoint anyone to the committee (they will do that in their regularly scheduled meeting on Friday) but they just decided to appoint a committee. I expect everyone involved to be savaged by the media indefinitely.
Old 11-08-11, 10:34 PM   #106
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I just walked by someone wearing a Penn State sweatshirt. Misguided allegiance or supreme cluelessness?
Penn State is bigger than these guys. I don't think wearing a sweatshirt is an endorsement of pedophilia.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 11-08-11, 10:41 PM   #107
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
I completely agree. It's Senior Day on Saturday and a bunch of completely innocent kids aren't going to be having the moment they deserve. Some clown called into a talk radio show saying that Paterno was "as bad as Sandusky" in this matter. Please. Another wanted for Penn State to sit out their bowl game (they are bowl eligible) in some dumb ass way of showing remorse for the "victims." I guess those victims don't include the student athletes. At least the radio host suggested that that was dumb and that going to the bowl game and giving every last dime to sexual abuse causes and the like would be a lot more useful then a bunch of players missing their bowl game for something they didn't do.
I agree completely. There were articles in papers like the Washington Post calling for the football program to be shut down! Completely. The players on the team and all the players that came before deserve support by the Penn State family. Their experience should continue as normally as possible given this tumultuous time.

I have a feeling the team will be supported wholeheartedly on Saturday. As I said before, Penn State is more than these people currently in disgrace.

Old 11-08-11, 10:43 PM   #108
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
Here's a BIG question--though a real hypothetical one--that needs to be asked: did Sandusky engage in his deviant activity beyond Pennsylvania state borders? If they can prove this, it is not longer a Pennsylvania state case--it is now a FEDERAL case because Joe Paterno, other Penn State football program coaches, the athletic director and even the university President could be charged with aiding and abetting child abuse across state lines. That right there could result in a possible FBI or US Marshals Service raid on Penn State, and gawd, talk about a really ugly scene if that happens!
One of the primary victims was taken to at least two bowl games (and threatened with being sent home if he didn't acquiesce to Sandusky's demands) - that bit from the Grand Jury testimony had me wondering why there's been no mention of adding Mann Act charges.
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 11-08-11, 10:55 PM   #109
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

This is what Paterno said tonight to a bunch of students outside his house who were there to support him:
Here is a video:

Old 11-08-11, 11:21 PM   #110
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know if anyone saw the report on the Big Ten Network tonight, but Gerry Dinardo roasted the athletic department and basically said its a long conspiracy based on his experience as a coach and that something like this couldnt just be kept between a few people. He said there is no way only a few people knew and that this had to have been a major cover up for a very long time....like the big dirty secret of the program. Pretty damning.
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 11-08-11, 11:44 PM   #111
DVD Talk Hero

Of course it was. Penn State coaches hang around a long time. The senior coaches all have been around for ages. That's why they all need to go with Joe.

Old 11-08-11, 11:45 PM   #112
DVD Talk Legend

holy shit:

@dan_bernstein Dan Bernstein FYI: names are being x-checked w/Sandusky's Second Mile, and there are other older adult men with "curious" relationships. Only the start.
Old 11-08-11, 11:51 PM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

students fucking rioted tonight "for Joe"

Old 11-09-11, 12:28 AM   #114
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn this stuff has turned surreal. A rally for JoePa? C'mon he's not a victim here. Those kids who gotten taken advantage of were victims, not Joe.

I'm coming around to the opinion that Paterno probably knew about the 1998 allegations which was why Sandusky was pushed out after 1999. I do find it curious that Sandusky never got any other job anywhere after 1999.

The GA that ratted out Sandusky got a job promotion too. In 2003, I think he got promoted to recruiting coordinator. Probably to keep his mouth shut. What kind of a grown man (he was 28 at time) has to call his dad while seeing a 10 year old boy get sexually assulted?
Old 11-09-11, 07:41 AM   #115
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No matter what Penn State fans feel about how this should unfold, rather than the gameday white-out (i.e. fans dressed all in white) against Nebraska, I'd like to see a black-out. That image would be more powerful than mere words concerning our emotions and concern.
Old 11-09-11, 07:54 AM   #116

Sally Jenkin's Article in the Washington Post.

Quote:
What kind of leaderless fool organization allegedly let a 60-year-old man take showers with 10-year-old boys on its premises, no matter how innocently? What kind of leaderless fool organization let kids use Penn State’s weight room facilities at night without monitoring? What kind of leaderless fool organization let Sandusky’s Second Mile charity operate on campus without respecting the basic literature — which dates from 1939 Boy Scout handbooks — that shows molesters use youth-serving organizations to meet victims, and that deprived pre-adolescent boys are an extremely troubled, craving, and vulnerable group?

Answer: a totally arrogant and incompetent one. Graham Spanier, your time is up.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...washingtonpost
Old 11-09-11, 08:16 AM   #117
DVD Talk Legend

I can't help but wonder if this will impact future students' (not just athletes) decision making process who are considering attending Penn State?
Old 11-09-11, 08:29 AM   #118
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Here is a video:

Dude's 84 years old and is probably under a lot of stress, so I guess it's only logical that you would swarm outside his house like locusts and act you are at a Metallica concert.
Old 11-09-11, 08:32 AM   #119

What I don't get is the person who walked by and saw this happening didn't 1) step in and do something immediately or 2) go to the police and tell them. Not sure why they would need to go tell the coach??
Old 11-09-11, 08:56 AM   #120
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Associated Press is reporting that a source tells them that Joe Paterno has decided to retire at the end of the season. I hope the Board of Trustees says "not good enough" and pushes him out ASAP.
Old 11-09-11, 08:59 AM   #121
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I'm not sure if he should get to go out on his terms
Old 11-09-11, 09:04 AM   #122
DVD Talk Hero

Have the McQueery's gone into hiding yet?
Old 11-09-11, 09:08 AM   #123
DVD Talk Hero

ESPN reporting it now, too.
Old 11-09-11, 09:24 AM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory02 View Post
The Associated Press is reporting that a source tells them that Joe Paterno has decided to retire at the end of the season. I hope the Board of Trustees says "not good enough" and pushes him out ASAP.
Yeah, doesn't make sense to me. After all this he still gets to call the shots and go out on his own terms?
Old 11-09-11, 09:27 AM   #125
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Have the McQueery's gone into hiding yet?
They said he is on a 'recruiting' trip. Which means we be hearing from him until he gets a lawyer.