Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-11, 05:01 PM   #401
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: MLB 2011-2012 Offseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Lots of west coast games would suck pretty bad.
it doesn't seem to be an issue with the rangers
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW

Old 11-17-11, 05:17 PM   #402
Osiris3657
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I bet Pittsbugh is pissed about the Astro's leaving the NL. That was their only easy opponent.
Scheduling wise-Houston makes the most sense to move to the AL. Since they now have 3 west coast division rivals,tv ratings might go down somewhat(because of later start times for west coast games).
Actually you know who makes sense? The Dbacks. They have only existed for 15 years so they don't have the history that Houston does in the NL (50 years) and they make more sense geographically. Timezone isn't a factor there either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
why? they'll still suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
it doesn't seem to be an issue with the rangers
You'd be wrong, Rangers fans and the ownership have publicly complained about all the West Coast games. It affects the TV ratings when games end regularly after midnight.
My Film/TV Collection

Old 11-17-11, 05:28 PM   #403
mcnabb
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since they have a balanced league, here is how each teams schedule should be:

-3 game series with every team from other league (15 teams x 3 games = 45)

-6 games (3 home, 3 away) with every team from your league out of the division (10 teams x 6 games = 60 games)

-14 games (7 home, 7 away) with every divisonal team (4 teams vs 14 games = 56 games)

161 games (if you want to add one more divisional game that gives you 162 games)

Old 11-17-11, 06:35 PM   #404
wm lopez
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
...or I could be completely wrong and the Cubs could pick Sveum
They picked him

Old 11-17-11, 06:38 PM   #405
wm lopez
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I bet Pittsbugh is pissed about the Astro's leaving the NL. That was their only easy opponent.
Scheduling wise-Houston makes the most sense to move to the AL. Since they now have 3 west coast division rivals,tv ratings might go down somewhat(because of later start times for west coast games).
But with the 2 added Wild Cards it gives them a chance at World Series so in the long run they all the teams should be happy.
Can't wait for more sub par teams to win World Series.

Old 11-17-11, 07:02 PM   #406
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Actually you know who makes sense? The Dbacks. They have only existed for 15 years so they don't have the history that Houston does in the NL (50 years) and they make more sense geographically. Timezone isn't a factor there either.

You'd be wrong, Rangers fans and the ownership have publicly complained about all the West Coast games. It affects the TV ratings when games end regularly after midnight.
Actually, the Dbacks don't make sense. The Dbacks have a far bigger rivalry with the Dodgers and Giants than the Astros have with any team in their division. Also, they've won several division titles and a WS since their existence, something the Astros can't claim in those 15 years.

As for the time zone issue, Houston is an hour behind Cincy and Pittsburgh. Do you complain when those game start earlier than they would normally. Unfortunately, the problem is that once you get past the West Coast, most teams are spread too far. Logistically, if you think a team should've moved besides the Astros, the Rockies are the most logical logistical choice. They are in a different time zones to all the teams in their own division when baseball is going on due to Day Light Savings. Plus, they are closer to the West coast than the Astros are.

However, having said that, you can't complain about having a natural rival now basically in your own backyard, so to speak. That's horrible to be able to go see your team play the WS runner up 2 years running with a road trip.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 11-17-11, 07:05 PM   #407
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
But with the 2 added Wild Cards it gives them a chance at World Series so in the long run they all the teams should be happy.
It will still be the 3 division winners and the next 2 best teams so sub par is not going to happen. I don't understand why you keep saying this.

Old 11-17-11, 07:06 PM   #408
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend

Moving any other teams besides one in the NL Central would then force them to move other teams around to even out the divisions. The Astros or the Brewers made the most sense and the Astros decided to go.

Old 11-17-11, 07:14 PM   #409
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Actually there is a less chance of a "sub par" wild card team winning the World Series now. If you're a wild card team and you play that one game playoff you'll be using your starter and you'll be using all the relief pitchers you need to win that game. That puts them at a big disadvantage going into the division series, especially if it starts the next day. So more and more you'll see wild card teams getting booted out in the division series.

And I wonder how it'll effect the whole not playing division rivals in the DS. Logically it should change so that the team that proved themselves to be the best in the league gets the advantage of playing the WC team no matter what. But I have a feeling that this won't change.

Personally I like this move. Yes we won't get epic nights like we did this year with the Rays and Cards taking the WC on the final day... but now every year we're guranteed a game 163. So we'll have the chance to see epic games every year.

Plus the incentive to win the division has just gotten huge. No one will want to be that wild card team if they can help it.

As for the Astros moving to the AL. I think it's good for competitive balance in the AL West and NL Central. It never really seemed too fair to me that the NL Central had 6 teams and the AL West had 4 teams. I'm not sure how I feel about the interleague games. I do like that they're spread out throughout the season and not something that comes up in a 3 week span in June. However it seems that there will be significantly more interleague games and I don't know really like that all that much. And if they do this I hope that they get rid of the stupid "rivalry" games. The novelty of seeing the Yankees play the Mets twice a year wore off years ago.

Old 11-17-11, 07:43 PM   #410
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Moving any other teams besides one in the NL Central would then force them to move other teams around to even out the divisions. The Astros or the Brewers made the most sense and the Astros decided to go.
yep. that's also a good point. moving any team other than one in the nl central would force more than 1 team to move divisions.

Old 11-17-11, 07:46 PM   #411
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I was watching a Boston Sports radio talk show today(runs 2-6pm Comcast Sports Net New England) and one of the host's said that finishing in first place will mean something now. LOL No it doesn't. The winner of the one game wild card play in game could still beat the best team in the league. it helps to avoid the one game playoff but overall every team is in the same boat.

Old 11-17-11, 07:55 PM   #412
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Talk on MASN(Mid Atlantic Sports Report) is the schedule will be 18 x 4(72) divisional games; 6 X10(60) other divisional games and (30) other-league games. Don't care for all those divisional games.

Old 11-17-11, 08:30 PM   #413
Osiris3657
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Actually, the Dbacks don't make sense. The Dbacks have a far bigger rivalry with the Dodgers and Giants than the Astros have with any team in their division. Also, they've won several division titles and a WS since their existence, something the Astros can't claim in those 15 years.

As for the time zone issue, Houston is an hour behind Cincy and Pittsburgh. Do you complain when those game start earlier than they would normally. Unfortunately, the problem is that once you get past the West Coast, most teams are spread too far. Logistically, if you think a team should've moved besides the Astros, the Rockies are the most logical logistical choice. They are in a different time zones to all the teams in their own division when baseball is going on due to Day Light Savings. Plus, they are closer to the West coast than the Astros are.

However, having said that, you can't complain about having a natural rival now basically in your own backyard, so to speak. That's horrible to be able to go see your team play the WS runner up 2 years running with a road trip.
It's clear you don't know much about the Astros, but they have big rivalries with the Cards and Cubs. As an outsider I wouldn't expect you to know that, but trust me, those rivalries are genuine.
Yes, Houston is an hour behind Cincy and Pittsburgh, which means the start times for the games in Houston are 6:00-6:30....nothing wrong with that.

The divisions should be:

AL West: Angels, Padres, Dodgers, Athletics, Giants
NL West: Mariners, Rockies, Dbacks, Rangers, Astros
AL Central: Brewers, Twins, Tigers, Reds, Indians
NL Central: Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals, Braves
AL East: Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Nationals, Orioles
NL East: Blue Jays, Pirates, Phillies, Marlins, Rays

Braves don't make sense but they were the odd team out.

That being said I guess the Rockies over Arizona would be good. Colorado should be an AL team with a DH anyway.
My Film/TV Collection

Old 11-17-11, 08:34 PM   #414
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, wm lopez!
Challenges: TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Comedy 2013 | Horror 2013 | Criterion 2013 | Animation 2013 | Sci-Fi 2013 | Historical 2013 | Make-Your-Own 2013 | Drive-In 2013 | Action 2013 | Academy Award 2013 | Leap Day 2012

Old 11-17-11, 08:58 PM   #415
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
It's clear you don't know much about the Astros, but they have big rivalries with the Cards and Cubs. As an outsider I wouldn't expect you to know that, but trust me, those rivalries are genuine.
Yes, Houston is an hour behind Cincy and Pittsburgh, which means the start times for the games in Houston are 6:00-6:30....nothing wrong with that.

The divisions should be:

AL West: Angels, Padres, Dodgers, Athletics, Giants
NL West: Mariners, Rockies, Dbacks, Rangers, Astros
AL Central: Brewers, Twins, Tigers, Reds, Indians
NL Central: Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals, Braves
AL East: Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Nationals, Orioles
NL East: Blue Jays, Pirates, Phillies, Marlins, Rays

Braves don't make sense but they were the odd team out.

That being said I guess the Rockies over Arizona would be good. Colorado should be an AL team with a DH anyway.
I follow baseball quite closely, thank you very much. While you may certainly argue the Astros have rivalries with those teams, it's not what I think of within that division. Cubs/Cards have the best rivalry and continue to do so. Sort of like you don't recognize that rivalries that the Dbacks have built with the Dodgers and Giants. Nevertheless, what is done is done. I am happy with the changes and think it's better for baseball.

Old 11-18-11, 06:18 AM   #416
mcnabb
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm always against adding more playoff teams essentially because it will lead to more playoff teams down the road. More playoff games = more playoff revenue, so that is why they are expanding the playoffs. In many ways I can't blame them, because the public has ADD when it comes to the regular season anymore in these sports.

God forbid your team in not competitive for 162 games every year, or they lose interest. I watched the Phils for many years in the late 80's/90's where they sucked most of those years, and were out of it early, but I loved Baseball so much that I always followed them.

At this point, sports should just have a huge Playoff system where all teams get in, because that is the way the public wants it. The MLB regular season is getting more and more irrelevant as we are inching closer to the NBA and NHL.

Old 11-18-11, 06:21 AM   #417
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get why you have a hard time understanding why a lot of fans don't like baseball games that start after 9. Nobody is insulting the west coast or the western divisions.

Old 11-18-11, 08:15 AM   #418
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
I don't get why you have a hard time understanding why a lot of fans don't like baseball games that start after 9. Nobody is insulting the west coast or the western divisions.
Same goes for the NHLs Detroit and Columbus,who are both the only eastern time zone teams in the Western Conference. Both are hoping to move to the Eastern Conference but what will happen if Phoenix moves to Quebec City.

Old 11-18-11, 08:08 PM   #419
Mr. Cinema
DVD Talk Legend

Blue Jays will also have new uniforms next year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/72...-original-look

Orioles updated uniforms and they're going back to the cartoon bird for the logo.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=bal

My Countdown Counting down to: Black Swan

Old 11-18-11, 08:59 PM   #420
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

^I always liked both looks.

Old 11-18-11, 10:42 PM   #421
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Orioles updated uniforms and they're going back to the cartoon bird for the logo.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=bal
Challenges: TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Comedy 2013 | Horror 2013 | Criterion 2013 | Animation 2013 | Sci-Fi 2013 | Historical 2013 | Make-Your-Own 2013 | Drive-In 2013 | Action 2013 | Academy Award 2013 | Leap Day 2012

Old 11-19-11, 07:25 AM   #422
LorenzoL
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Blue Jays will also have new uniforms next year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/72...-original-look
Love it! They got rid of their black uniforms (which I disliked) and are using the white and grey colours along with an alternate blue. And they are the Blue Jays once again...

Old 11-19-11, 01:45 PM   #423
Mr. Cinema
DVD Talk Legend

It appears the Indians want Grady Sizemore back so he can play in 50 games and be on the DL 7 times again next year. They're closing in on a 1 year deal.

My Countdown Counting down to: Black Swan

Old 11-19-11, 01:53 PM   #424
wm lopez
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Love it! They got rid of their black uniforms (which I disliked) and are using the white and grey colours along with an alternate blue. And they are the Blue Jays once again...
I see this as baseball getting away from the "bad boy,thug" style.
With Miami's new fruity style and now Blue Jays' and O's going back to old school baseball style.

Old 11-19-11, 03:40 PM   #425
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

baseball players are/were thugs?

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser

Closed Thread