Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-16-11, 03:43 PM   #501
SunMonkey
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 2011 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs ptII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
My favorite riot pic:

Someone on Twitter posted "At least someone from Vancouver can score on the road!"
Old 06-16-11, 04:30 PM   #502
bunkaroo
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
Someone on Twitter posted "At least someone from Vancouver can score on the road!"
OMG that made me laugh.
Old 06-16-11, 07:42 PM   #503
Coral
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Congrats to the Bruins.

I still can't believe the Flyers haven't won the damned thing in 36 years.
The Leafs haven't won it in 44 years (the last year of a 6-team league) - which was also the last time they even made the finals. At least the Flyers made the finals 6 times since they last won it.

The funny thing is the Leafs aren't even close to being a contender and the prospect pool is pretty bare - and that's with missing the playoffs 6 years straight. That's pretty incredible... even moreso when they make the most revenue/profit in the league by a large margin.

I'm 100% positive the Leafs will hit the 50 year mark without an appearance in the finals.

That's futility baby!
Old 06-16-11, 07:50 PM   #504
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
My favorite riot pic:
That one is good, as is this one:

Old 06-16-11, 08:17 PM   #505
astrochimp
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
The Leafs haven't won it in 44 years (the last year of a 6-team league) - which was also the last time they even made the finals. At least the Flyers made the finals 6 times since they last won it.

The funny thing is the Leafs aren't even close to being a contender and the prospect pool is pretty bare - and that's with missing the playoffs 6 years straight. That's pretty incredible... even moreso when they make the most revenue/profit in the league by a large margin.

I'm 100% positive the Leafs will hit the 50 year mark without an appearance in the finals.

That's futility baby!
And yet they have the highest ticket prices in the NHL. Every single person who buys tickets for them should be kicked in the crotch.

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 06-17-11, 04:31 AM   #506
Coral
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
And yet they have the highest ticket prices in the NHL. Every single person who buys tickets for them should be kicked in the crotch.
Yes, I definitely agree... although many of those tickets are sold to corporations. It's a messed up situation.

Last edited by Coral; 06-17-11 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-17-11, 05:38 AM   #507
Drake
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw on the news that the Bruins have been showing up all over Boston with the Cup--mingling with people at restaurants on Newbury Street and at Faneuil Hall. That is testimony to the fact that hockey players are so down to earth. I think that is really cool.
You'd never see players from any other sport walking around with their trophy and making impromptu appearances around the city. There's actually a Twitter page that allows people to follow the Cup around town--it's called something like "Follow the Cup" or "Where is the Cup."
Old 06-17-11, 10:06 AM   #508
Ky-Fi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally, Congress gets its priorities in order and acts decisively!

SENATE RESOLUTION 210--CONGRATULATING THE BOSTON BRUINS FOR WINNING THE 2011 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONSHIP -- (Senate - June 16, 2011)

[Page: S3898]

--- Mr. BROWN of Massachusetts (for himself, Mr. Kerry, Ms. Snowe, Ms. Collins, Mrs. Shaheen, Ms. Ayotte, Mr. Reed of Rhode Island, Mr. Whitehouse, and Mr. Leahy) submitted the following resolution; which was considered and agreed to:

S. Res. 210

Whereas on Wednesday, June 15, 2011, the Boston Bruins, the oldest National Hockey League (NHL) franchise in the United States, brought the Stanley Cup back to Boston for the first time in 39 years;

Whereas to accomplish this feat, the Bruins defeated the Vancouver Canucks, the team with the best record in the NHL during the regular season, in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals;

Whereas the Bruins became the first team in NHL history to win 3 deciding Game 7's during a single playoff run and twice came back from 0-2 series deficits;

Whereas Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas won the Conn Smythe trophy, which is awarded to the player deemed most valuable to his team during the Stanley Cup playoffs;

Whereas Tim Thomas shut out the Canucks in the deciding game of the Finals, and allowed only 8 goals over the 7 game series;

Whereas Bruins rookie Brad Marchand scored 11 goals in the playoffs, setting a team record for playoff goals by a rookie, and tying for the second-most playoff goals by a rookie in NHL history;

Whereas Bruins right wing Mark Recchi hoisted his third Stanley Cup, and is retiring as a champion after 1,652 NHL regular-season games and 190 playoff games;

Whereas Bruins captain Zdeno Chara, at 6 feet, 9 inches tall, lifted the Stanley Cup as high above the ice as it has ever been lifted;

Whereas Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli made key trades near the trade deadline to put the Bruins in a position for a Stanley Cup run, acquiring Tomas Kaberle, Rich Peverley, and Chris Kelly; and

Whereas Bruins Head Coach Claude Julien ensured that the Bruins played and won as a team: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the Senate--

(1) congratulates the Boston Bruins for winning the 2011 Stanley Cup Championship; and

(2) respectfully requests the Secretary of the Senate to transmit an enrolled copy of this resolution to--

(A) Head Coach Claude Julien;

(B) President and former Bruins All-Star Cam Neely; and

(C) General Manager Peter Chiarelli.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~r112x87HwF::
Old 06-17-11, 10:49 AM   #509
wmansir
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It looks like the officials of Vancouver are pulling the classic "outside agitators" excuse. In this case it's "anarchists and troublemakers".

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Van...411/story.html
Old 06-17-11, 11:30 AM   #510
astrochimp
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
It looks like the officials of Vancouver are pulling the classic "outside agitators" excuse. In this case it's "anarchists and troublemakers".

I assumed they were all just lost Miami Heat fans.

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 06-17-11, 11:44 AM   #511
nevermind
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post

You'd think these same "outside agitators" would have really ramped it up last year with the whole world watching.
Old 06-17-11, 12:30 PM   #512
VikingsSooners
Banned

Congrats to the Bruins, they were the clearly the better team all series, Vancouver got lucky to make it to 7 games, if it was not for the 1 point wins at home, they would have been swept but even if Vancouver did win game 7, I would still have thought that Boston is still the better team
Old 06-18-11, 10:06 AM   #513
Ky-Fi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They're confirming that the Bruins rally/parade is the city's biggest one so far out of all the Boston sports teams. I'm sure that fact that it's on a Saturday in the summer helps, but still. Hockey is back in town!
Old 06-18-11, 12:39 PM   #514
Drake
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
They're confirming that the Bruins rally/parade is the city's biggest one so far out of all the Boston sports teams. I'm sure that fact that it's on a Saturday in the summer helps, but still. Hockey is back in town!
Yea, that looked waaaay bigger than that Celtic parade a few years back.

I was at the Red Sox 2004 parade and I think it probably most resembles that one. Gotta remember the Sox parade was longer and more spread out ,starting at Fenway and ending in the Charles River with people standing on the shore!
Old 06-18-11, 02:20 PM   #515
Ky-Fi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Yea, that looked waaaay bigger than that Celtic parade a few years back.

I was at the Red Sox 2004 parade and I think it probably most resembles that one. Gotta remember the Sox parade was longer and more spread out ,starting at Fenway and ending in the Charles River with people standing on the shore!
I was going to head down for it, but by the time I was ready to go, they were telling people not to drive in, AND that the trains were delayed from every direction, so I didn't go. It looked awesome on TV, though! Kind of funny, with a lot of the players living right there in the North End, after the parade, grinning Chara gets on his bicycle to go home, and Bergeron just starts walking down the sidewalk with the crowd.