Gerrymandering in the US
Old 01-14-11, 04:19 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

re: The Official Boxing Thread

A silly and sickening start to '11:

Pac versus Mosley

Holyfield versus....Somebody (On PPV?)

Cotto vs Mayorga (On PPV?)

Juan Manuel Marquez vs.......Erik Morales????

At least there's a few other upcoming bouts that could wipe that stench off for awhile, Bradley/Alexander & Donaire/Montiel.
Old 01-21-11, 03:37 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

Theres a late breaking story that happened during Rafael's chat that said that a deal had been made to air the Pacquaio vs Mosley ppv as a Showtime sponsored PPV as opposed to an HBO one
Old 01-21-11, 03:40 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

How does that even make sense? Aren't both signed to HBO?
Old 01-21-11, 04:33 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
From what ive been reading, HBO isn't a big fan of the fight (they'd rather have like Pac vs Marquez or Berto), so today Bob Arum went to Showtime. Also the upcoming Miguel Cotto fight against Ricardo Mayorga PPV is also going to be distributed by Showtime, since HBO didn't want that fight, and they wanted Sergio Martinez to fight on that same night.
Old 01-22-11, 06:52 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
here's the story on it
Quote:
In a seismic shift in the boxing business landscape, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum closed a deal with Showtime and sister network CBS to handle the pay-per-view fight between pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and Shane Mosley -- instead of HBO -- multiple sources told ESPN.com on Friday.

Pacquiao, boxing's biggest star, defends his welterweight title against former champ Mosley on May 7 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao (52-3-2, 38 KOs) and Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs) have never fought with Showtime's involvement and both have fought all of their numerous significant fights on HBO or HBO PPV.

Rafael's Boxing Blog

Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

While HBO spokesman Ray Stallone said he was unaware who was doing Pacquiao-Mosley, he acknowledged that Arum had informed the network that it would not be involved.

"It's a business decision. We move on," Stallone said.

Arum would not confirm that Showtime and CBS were handling the fight.

"Top Rank has no comment at this time," Arum told ESPN.com through spokesman Lee Samuels.

Showtime spokesman Chris DeBlasio also said the network also had no comment.

Arum, however, has been enamored with the possibility of CBS' involvement in the bout because of its massive reach.

According to sources, part of the deal will include CBS promoting the fight by running commercial spots advertising the pay-per-view during prime time programming. Also in the works is a series of preview shows that would run on CBS, or possibly Showtime, which would be similar to HBO's hit reality series "24/7," which it uses to stoke interest with weekly episodes during the month leading up to major pay-per-view fights. Pacquiao and Mosley have both had fights featured on "24/7."

Perhaps it's only a coincidence, but Arum recently struck a deal with Showtime to handle the production and distribution of the March 12 pay-per-view fight he is promoting between junior middleweight titlist Miguel Cotto and former titleholder Ricardo Mayorga.

Arum turned to Showtime to get involved with Cotto-Mayorga because he is angry at HBO for turning down a live network fight between Cotto, long a network staple, and 2004 U.S. Olympian Vanes Martirosyan, especially because Cotto's fight against Yuri Foreman last summer generated the network's highest boxing rating of the year.

Arum met with HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg for dinner earlier this week to discuss HBO's possible involvement in Pacquiao-Mosley while he was in New York for Wednesday's kickoff news conference to announce Cotto-Mayorga. Within the next couple of days, he closed the deal with Showtime/CBS.

At one time, Showtime was a major player in the pay-per-view boxing business. It produced and distributed several cards headlined by Mike Tyson and Julio Cesar Chavez. For many years, it held the record for the best-selling pay-per-view, nearly 2 million for the Evander Holyfield-Tyson ear bite rematch in 1997. However, Showtime has drastically cut back in recent years, doing only the occasional pay-per-view.

Despite Arum going to Showtime/CBS with Pacquiao-Mosley, he and HBO are still doing business together.

Top Rank has two "Boxing After Dark" cards booked on HBO so far this year -- the Feb. 19 show headlined by bantamweight titlist Fernando Montiel against Nonito Donaire and a March 26 show headlined by featherweight titlist Yuriorkis Gamboa against Jorge Solis.
Old 01-22-11, 09:05 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks. I hadn't read that yet.
Old 01-22-11, 10:38 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Reading Rafael's play by play of the Holyfield ppv is great

Now we have some yam singing Born to Run with Clarence Clemons playing sax. Bruce should sue him!!!!!!!! I'M RIGHT ON THE EDGE HERE!!!
4 minutes ago via web
Reply Retweet
WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE THIS CRAP SINGING ON A PPV???? WHO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!??????? I'M GOING OFF THE DEEP END HERE!!
6 minutes ago via web
I'd rather Arum give me the finger again than listen to this horrible lounge act. At least Arum's finger doesn't make noise. #boxing
7 minutes ago via web
Kevin Johnson w12 Julius Long. 79-71 x 3. More dancing. Kill me.

It's appropriate that the ring mat sponsor is Dodge because this PPV is a car wreck.
about 1 hour ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Reply Retweet
For those worried about me since it's been 10 minutes sine last tweet I'm ok. For now. But the night is young and ppv long.
Ok that was the best part of the ppv so far: two almost naked women dancing for the crowd.
I'm watching Monte Barrett on PPV. It's true. I have no life whatsoever.
I fully expect the midget who talked backwards from Twin Peaks to show up on this PPV at any moment.
Old 01-23-11, 08:47 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
I fully expect the midget who talked backwards from Twin Peaks to show up on this PPV at any moment.

Raf's humor has been vastly improving lately.
Old 01-24-11, 11:22 AM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

Jeff Lacy's brother is the suspect in a shooting rampage that has left 2 St. Pete officers dead and 1 US Marshall wounded, so far.

Quote:
A police official confirmed Hydra Lacy Jr., the brother of boxer Jeff Lacy, is the suspect. Investigators said they are using specialized equipment to find him in the house.
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2011/jan...d-in-shooting/
Old 01-24-11, 09:21 PM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Tomasz Adamek gets shot at a Klitschko
EmailPrintComments
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive
From the time Tomasz Adamek vacated the cruiserweight championship to move up to heavyweight in late 2009 the goal has always been the same for him and his promoters, Main Events and Ziggy Rozalski. They wanted to allow Adamek time to adjust to the new weight class, get a shot at the heavyweight title and make a good deal for that fight.

Mission accomplished.

Adamek, who lives in Jersey City, N.J., but is from Poland -- where he is one of the nation's most famous athletes -- will get a heavyweight title opportunity in his home country against either champion Wladimir Klitschko or his title-holding older brother Vitali Klitschko in September after they signed an agreement on Monday, both camps told ESPN.com.

"I am ecstatic. I can't even put it into words," Main Events CEO Kathy Duva said. "To work so hard with Tomasz with a goal in mind -- moving him up to heavyweight, getting a heavyweight title fight. We got him there and we got a good deal."

Said Bernd Boente, who manages the Klitschko brothers, "We made some changes, their side and our side. We now agree on everything. We have a go from both sides for a fight in September."

The fight will take place at a new soccer stadium being built in either Warsaw or Wroclaw, Poland. Duva said there are four new stadiums being built in Poland for the 2012 European Soccer Championships and that two of the stadiums are bidding for the fight.

"There is this window of opportunity for this fight because of the stadiums being built in Poland," Duva said. "It will be a huge event in Poland."

Duva also said the fight would be the first-ever pay-per-view bout in Poland.

There is still some devil in the details. Adamek (43-1, 28 KOs) must win an interim bout being planned for April 16 (or possibly April 9) in Katowice, Poland. The opponent is not set yet, but it won't be anyone too formidable, not with a multi-million dollar deal to face a Klitschko looming. Adamek, who is 5-0 since his move to heavyweight, definitely won't be fighting former titleholder Samuel Peter in the tuneup.

"That's a pretty good bet," Duva said with a laugh.

The IBF had ordered a box-off between Peter and Adamek as part of its four-man tournament to produce a mandatory challenger for Wladimir Klitschko. Now that Adamek has a title shot, he does not need to fight an eliminator. Duva said the purse bid scheduled for Friday would be canceled. The Klitschko brothers also have interim bouts scheduled in Germany. Vitali Klitschko (41-2, 38 KOs) will make a mandatory defense against Odlanier Solis on March 19 in Cologne. Wladimir Klitschko (55-3, 49 KOs) will defend his belts against England's Dereck Chisora on April 30 in Mannheim.

If both Klitschkos were to lose, the deal with Adamek would be dead. If one loses, Adamek, a former light heavyweight titlist before winning the cruiserweight championship, would face the other brother under terms of the deal, Boente and Duva said.

If both Klitschkos win, the choice of Adamek's opponent would be decided by the Klitschko side.

"Either one, their option," Duva said. "We don't care which one it is. They have to tell us something like 90 days before the fight which one it will be. Tomasz's attitude is, 'I want a heavyweight title fight. I don't care which one of them I fight.'"

"Knock on wood, both brothers win their respective fights and then we will make a decision," Boente said.

However, if they both win it is likely to be Wladimir against Adamek, both sides said.

If titleholder David Haye of England comes back to the bargaining table with Wladimir, the setup could change.

Wladimir and Haye had been involved in heavy negotiations for a fight and made a deal contingent on finding a date agreeable to the German and British television networks they fight on, as well as a stadium in Germany. The earliest they could find that worked for all three was July 2. Klitschko said he was going to face Chisora first on April 30 in an interim bout, but Haye refused to allow him to. When Klitschko would not call off the fight with Chisora, Haye walked away from a probable eight-figure payday.

Simultaneous to the Klitschko-Haye deal imploding, Duva approached the Klitschko camp with the proposal for one of the brothers to fight Adamek in Poland and they quickly got the deal done.

"It took us less than three weeks to get this done," Duva said. "Everybody had the same objective -- to make the biggest, best event we can and everybody make the most money we can. We're very excited. This has been the plan for the 2˝ years we've worked with Tomasz. This has been the goal and game plan. I'm happy it all came together and we are happy with the deal."

Although Haye and the Klitschkos have gone back and forth about various deals for the past couple of years, Duva said she had no problems reaching an agreement.

"I didn't have any of the problems other people talk about," she said. "I've had a long relationship with [Klitschko adviser] Shelly Finkel for something like 30 years and that probably helped. But when the time came to talk to Bernd, we were in synch right away. I know how to get a deal done. I didn't have any problem with them at all. And I had a fighter who said, 'This is what I want, please go out and get it.'"

Boente and Duva said they will visit the two stadiums and listen to their offers and will also talk with American networks HBO and Showtime. Boente said he preferred for the fight to be on Showtime after the brothers had a falling out with HBO.
Old 01-28-11, 12:20 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got some action coming up:

Cris Arreola (With Ronnie Shields in his corner) on FNF

HBO:

But given how high the stakes are and the fact that both guys really don't high explosive styles, I'm expecting a cautious, tactical fight for the most part (With some occasional moments of excitement) I'm picking Timmy by decision.
Old 01-28-11, 01:07 AM   #13
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

as an avid MMA fan with a casual interest in boxing I thought I'd ask, is it just a foregone conclusion in the boxing world that Pacquiao/Mayweather is never going to happen?
Old 01-28-11, 02:35 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadm View Post
as an avid MMA fan with a casual interest in boxing I thought I'd ask, is it just a foregone conclusion in the boxing world that Pacquiao/Mayweather is never going to happen?
with the legal trouble Mayweathers in, and the fact that Mayweather is keen on ducking pac, prob not any time soon.
Old 01-28-11, 10:14 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hero

I thought that was a little pre mature a stoppage. And Arreola gave him a kiss at the end
Old 01-28-11, 11:10 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Conflicting views on the kiss I agree that the stoppages in both of the first fights were too quick. Some panicky refs in there tonight.
Old 01-29-11, 10:00 AM   #17
DVD Talk Hero

That was damn funny .
Old 01-29-11, 09:07 PM   #18
DVD Talk Hero

Lampley seems pumped for this fight
Old 01-30-11, 01:08 AM   #19
DVD Talk Hero

For anyone that watched, did anyone see the end. Apparently Larry Merchant went on one of his old man drunken rants that he likes to pull out every once in a while. I only ask cause Merchant was actualy trending on twitter. Anyone know what he said
Old 01-30-11, 01:44 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
For anyone that watched, did anyone see the end. Apparently Larry Merchant went on one of his old man drunken rants that he likes to pull out every once in a while. I only ask cause Merchant was actualy trending on twitter. Anyone know what he said
Not sure if he said anything controversial. He just went on how the public is yearning for a new American star with the success of movies (The Fighter) and TV (Lights Out). But a "Star" wasn't generated in last night's fight.
Old 02-02-11, 04:00 AM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

Something cute I ran into:

And I heard yet another rumor about the on-going saga for Floyd. But I'll wait for further confirmation....Nah, forget it. Let's move on...
Old 02-08-11, 04:43 PM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Both fighters promise that, unlike Timothy Bradley and DeVon Alexander’s January bout that fizzled, this fight will indeed be full of fireworks.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 02-20-11 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-08-11, 09:36 PM   #23
DVD Talk Hero

Cannot wait for that fight.
Old 02-09-11, 12:37 PM   #24
DVD Talk Hero

same. Also can't wait for Jones vs Soto karas 2 which is the opener on that card. The first fight arguably stole the show of the Pac/Margarito ppv
Old 02-09-11, 02:10 PM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like Pascal/Hopkins II is May 21 and will be on HBO this time, as showtime couldn't afford it (and only had room for july) and HBO was willing to pay the extra money.
Also had to love this quote from Hopkins
"I'm glad HBO invited me back home to end my historic career," he said. "I still have a few things I want to do. My dream hit list is Pascal, Chad Dawson if he wins and then I would like to clean out Canada by beating Bute at light heavyweight. That's an impressive list put together for an old man."