Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-09-11, 01:38 PM   #1
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

Former Michigan Star Rumeal Robinson sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison for fraud

Quote:

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP)—Former Michigan basketball star Rumeal Robinson has been sentenced to 6 years in jail for financial fraud.

A jury found Robinson guilty in September of 11 charges, including bank bribery, wire fraud, conspiracy to commit bank fraud and making a false statement to a financial institution.

Prosecutors say Robinson schemed between 2004-05 to borrow more than $700,000 from a bank in Ankeny, Iowa, with the help of a loan officer. They say he claimed the money was for a business but that he actually bought a condominium, cars, furniture and invested in an energy company.

Robinson was also ordered to pay nearly $1.2 million in restitution.

In the 1989 national title game, Robinson hit two free throws with 3 seconds left to give Michigan a win over Seton Hall. He also spent six seasons in the NBA.
If your not familiar with this case, watch this ESPN E:60 video. It runs about 11 1/2 minutes and talks about Rumeal's fall. I'm more pissed that this crook ripped off his own mother (well adopted mother) He comes across as a dickhead in the piece.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5683436

Last edited by DJariya; 01-09-11 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-09-11, 01:40 PM   #2
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Former Michigan Star Rumeal Robinson sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison for fraud

Here's the E:60 video embdeded. It was from last year.
Old 01-09-11, 02:51 PM   #3
adrenaline78
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Former Michigan Star Rumeal Robinson sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison for fraud

He would have had better luck if he had gotten drunk and ran somebody over.
Old 01-09-11, 03:14 PM   #4
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

I know more about Rupaul (thanks Soup!) than Rumeal.

I guess the bar in Michigan is pretty low if someone that nobody outside of Ann Arbor has ever heard of is considered a "star".
Old 01-09-11, 03:20 PM   #5
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

If your 30 or younger, you probably have never heard of Rumeal. I was a Freshman in High School during the 1989 NCAA Championship (Michigan vs Seton Hall) where he became a "star" by hitting those 2 free throws. Kind of ridiculous that he was the #10 overall pick in the NBA Draft.

I followed his NBA career early on and he was a total bust as an NBA Point Guard. I think he was too small and stocky to be a successful guard in the league. The Hawks were probably hoping at the time that he would be the eventual successor to Doc Rivers at Point Guard.
Old 01-09-11, 03:29 PM   #6
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

I turn 49 this year. I live in the Midwest. I am a huge sports fan. I have never heard of Rumeal Robinson.
Old 01-09-11, 03:35 PM   #7
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I turn 49 this year. I live in the Midwest. I am a huge sports fan. I have never heard of Rumeal Robinson.
Do you remember the 1989 NCAA title game? And the 1989 Wolverines?

Some of the most notable players:

Glen Rice
Sean Higgins
Terry Mills
Loy Vaught
Rumeal Robinson
Eric Riley

The Head Coach was Steve Fisher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989%E2...asketball_team

Except Robinson and Eric Riley, all of them had relatively long NBA careers especially Glen Rice.
Old 01-09-11, 03:44 PM   #8
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkukr6FgzpA

Here's clips from the game and Robinson's GW free throws.
Old 01-09-11, 04:12 PM   #9
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

I've heard of him, mainly from being a bust at point guard for the Atlanta Hawks since I watched Hawks basketball back then, but also from his Michigan days.
Old 01-09-11, 09:52 PM   #10
Bill Needle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I attended that Final Four. The championship game, along with an OT semifinal win over Illinois made it a good one to attend as a Big Ten fan. Also, most people forget that Steve Fisher was an interim coach, taking over for the fired (for accepting another job) Bill Frieder. It was quite a run by Michigan, who came into the tournament as only the 3rd best team in the Big Ten.
Old 01-09-11, 11:31 PM   #11
Daryl
DVD Talk Legend

While I doubt anyone on this board was happier on April 3, 1989 than I was, he did a shitty thing, has disgustingly shown no remorse, and is deservedly getting locked up for it.

I can honestly say this is the weirdest thread I've seen on this sports forum. To use a celebrity world reference - Robinson is like a D-Lister (at best) in terms of sports celebrity.

As an aside, the most succesful player on that '89 team may be Rob Pelinka, who is now the agent for Kobe Bryant, Carlos Boozer, and Andre Igoudala, among others

Last edited by Daryl; 01-09-11 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-09-11, 11:39 PM   #12
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

First Final Four I really watched (I'd seen some final games before like Keith Smart), and I remember the FTs well
Old 01-10-11, 07:17 AM   #13
Quake1028
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I turn 32 this year. I live in Florida. I am a huge sports fan. I have heard of Rumeal Robinson.

Old 01-10-11, 07:25 AM   #14
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You don't seem like the big midwest sports fan you think you are.

In fact, you are not.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 01-10-11, 08:50 AM   #15
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe he didn't follow college BK at the tine
Old 01-10-11, 01:30 PM   #16
Mikael79
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
I turn 32 this year. I live in the Midwest. I am a huge sports fan. I have heard of Rumeal Robinson.
Old 01-10-11, 02:00 PM   #17
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

kenbuzz actually had a 2 paragraph post that got deleted when the forum had a data base error saying that he watched the game and lives 2 hours from Ann Arbor at the time, but never heard of him. I wasn't going to start an argument with him, so I left it as that.
Old 01-10-11, 03:12 PM   #18
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone drafted #10 in the NBA draft, who won a national championship in college, was a "star" by any reasonable definition. Doesn't mean he's a current star, but sure was at the time.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 01-10-11, 04:39 PM   #19
BrewCrew

It seemed like every time I bought a pack of Skybox basketball cards I got this guy.
Old 01-11-11, 12:28 AM   #20
Mikael79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
It seemed like every time I bought a pack of Skybox basketball cards I got this guy.
That's pretty much why I remember him.
Old 01-11-11, 08:04 AM   #21
cdollaz
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-11-11, 09:22 AM   #22
BrewCrew

Yep, that's the card.
Old 01-11-11, 11:09 AM   #23
Mikael79

That brings back some memories. Here is another one that I had way too many of:

Old 01-11-11, 07:06 PM   #24
mugwump
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was a junior at Michigan that year so yeah, I recall the guy. But I remember Loy Vaught better since I used to borrow his notes in that pinnacle of academia science class "Coral Reefs." Good times.