Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-21-10, 09:53 PM   #1
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What was your first pro sports event?

Sunday 8-8-65 At Detroits Tiger Stadium Final -NY Yankees 6 Detroit 5
Mantle went 2-4
Pepitone went 3-4
C.Boyer went 2-4
Richardson went 2-5
Al Downing(the man who served up Hank Aarons 715th HR) blasted a 3-run HR
off of Denny McLain
W-Reniff L-O. Pena T-2:57 A-23,684

I had always remembered that Al Downing hit a homerun and its been confirmed because I found the box score at Baseball Reference.com
Didn't realize that I seen Mickey Mantle play(Played LF and was replaced in 9th inning)
Kaline hit a homer for Detroit.
Had gone to a game about a month earlier against Baltimore but it was rained out after half-an-inning.
Old 10-21-10, 10:13 PM   #2
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What was your first pro sports event?

I can remember tons of details from various games I've attended in my lifetime, but the circumstances surrounding my first one is a little fuzzy. It was at Cincinnati in the late 70s. I think they were hosting the Expos. I was a little boy at the time and we sat in the outfield seats, so the action on the field (which seemed a mile away) kind of took a back seat to the awe of being in this huge stadium with thousands of people. Somewhere I have a program that my dad bought and saved from that game.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 10-21-10, 10:16 PM   #3
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First NBA game-12-17-65 Detroits Cobo Arena Bos. Celtics 114 Det. Pistons 112
First WHA game-12-31-74 Detroits Cobo Arena Phx. Roadrunners 1 Mich. Stags 1
Old 10-21-10, 11:17 PM   #4
mgbfan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The first one I can remember was the famous play when Dave Kingman hit one into the Metrodome roof, and it never came down.
Old 10-21-10, 11:32 PM   #5
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

7-5-86 at Comiskey Park

Yankees beat the White Sox 8-0

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 10-22-10, 12:19 AM   #6
EdTheRipper
DVD Talk Legend

September 28th, 1988
Toronto Blue Jays at Boston Red Sox
Blue Jays won 1-0. Great pitching duel between Bruce Hurst and Jimmy Key. The only run of the game came as a result of an errant throw by catcher Rich Gedman.
Old 10-22-10, 12:28 AM   #7
NORML54601
DVD Talk Legend

Sadly I've never been to a pro sporting event. I'd really like to get to a Brewers game next year but it's tough cause I don't drive.
Old 10-22-10, 04:51 AM   #8
Chembree

VERY nice topic -- World Series 1978 -- I was 6 years old and we listened on the 8 hour trip to my grandmothers on the radio, don't know why I remember that, but I didnt express real interest until 1980 and I became a bandwagon Phillies fan!! (I became a bandwagon Mets fan in 1985, but never fell off that wagon!!)

Oklahoma City 89's (now Redhawks) was my first live game ... Ryne Sandberg was playing (so I'm told) and I ate ice cream from a cubs mini helmet!! ...

My first big league Baseball game was NY/TEX at Old Arlington Stadium ..I got Donnie Baseball to sign a ball -- I could have had Wade Boggs sign it also, but did not want to ruin the ball!!

My first Pro football was 9/19/94 -- Detroit Lions over Dallas in an overtime Monday night game- nice watching the Cowboys lose!! 9/23/01 (First football after 9/11) was my only other pro football game and got to see San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson beat the Cowboys ..

still have not seen the OKC Thunder play Live, I work nights, but will watch them this year!!
Old 10-22-10, 05:57 AM   #9
wendersfan

I had to look up the date - it was a doubleheader between the Reds and the Giants on July 30,1972. The Reds took the first game, the Giants won the second.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 10-22-10, 06:39 AM   #10
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know how to find the date, but I'm pretty sure my first (non-rodeo) pro event was a Timberwolves overtime loss to Golden State when Mullin was still on the team (it must have been like 91?). That was the only NBA game I've been to as well.
Old 10-22-10, 07:50 AM   #11
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Don't know the date. It was an Orioles game in 1979.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 10-22-10, 09:01 AM   #12
VinVega
Administrator

I don't really remember the date, but it was probably 1977 or 1978. My Dad used to be a volunteer ambulance EMT and his buddy got him the ambulance gig at Yankee Stadium. One night he took me and my mom in the ambulance. I know it wasn't a Yankee-Red Sox game because he said during those, they hardly watch the game they were taking so many fans to the hospital from fights.
Old 10-22-10, 09:03 AM   #13
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

I want to say either a Suns game against the Sonics in the 80's at the Mad House on McDowell or an ASU football game of unknown date in the 80's.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 10-22-10, 09:17 AM   #14
WallyOPD
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

An Oakland A's game in the late '80s. I went to a handful of games every summer for about a decade on trips to visit my aunt.
Old 10-22-10, 09:33 AM   #15
Larry C.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't remember the date but it was the Miami Dolphins vs the Baltimore Colts at the Orange Bowl all I remember as a kid was the Fins killed them. I think the Colts were going through a down time.

EDIT

Just looked it up it was 11/11/1979 and Fins won 19-0 I guess it wasn't as bad a romp as I remembered. I was 5
Miami Heat 2012 NBA Champions!!
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!!!

Last edited by Larry C.; 10-22-10 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-22-10, 09:33 AM   #16
ytrez
DVD Talk Special Edition

Philadelphia Flyers vs. the Soviet Red Army - January 11, 1976.

I sat in the nosebleeds with my father and uncle. I was 8 and had never been in a place with that many people before and, unfortunately, watched the crowd more than the game, but it was a blast.
Old 10-22-10, 09:59 AM   #17
Mikael79
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was pretty young when my dad started bringing my brother and I to Minnesota Twins games, so I would guess it would have been around 1985 or 1986. I saw the Timberwolves in the Metrodome during their first season before the Target Center was ready.

I've only been to two Vikings games, but countless Twins games and probably 10-15 Timberwolves games.
Old 10-22-10, 10:46 AM   #18
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytrez View Post
Philadelphia Flyers vs. the Soviet Red Army - January 11, 1976.

I sat in the nosebleeds with my father and uncle. I was 8 and had never been in a place with that many people before and, unfortunately, watched the crowd more than the game, but it was a blast.
I watched that game on tv. Think it was a Sunday afternoon game and the Soviet team skated off the ice in protest over a hit delivered by Ed VanImpe.
Old 10-22-10, 10:53 AM   #19
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First NHL game-Late March 1975 at Olympia Stadium Detroit Final Detroit 8 Wash. Capitals 3 It was the Caps first season,probably the worst team in the history of the NHL. John Adams (third stringer) played goal for Washington. Danny Grant scored his 50th goal of the season while Bryan (Bugsy)Watson netted his first for the Wings.

First pro wrestling event-Late Feb. 1973 at Cobo Arena Detroit The Sheik faught Dory Funk Jr to a double DQ for the NWA World Title. Remember a large crowd of about 11,000.
Old 10-22-10, 11:49 AM   #20
Bill Needle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First pro game was on March 3, 1971 when the Milwaukee Bucks (with some kid named Lew Alcindor along with Oscar Robertson, Jon McGlocklin, Bob Dandridge) were in the middle of something like a 20 game winning streak and hosted the Los Angeles Lakers (Wilt Chamberlain, Gail Goodrich, Pat Riley, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor). Bucks won. It was an incredibly tough ticket, but my best friend's dad had a business connection and took us. I was very young and barely remember it, other than it being incredibly loud. I still have the program. Bucks would win the World Championship later the next month, including a 4-1 series win over these same Lakers.

First MLB game was when I was a kid and my friends and I rode our bikes to Milwaukee County Stadium to a bunch of Brewers games by ourselves. We lived only a couple mles away and you could that in those days. We sat in the bleachers and watched an 18 year old rookie short stop named Robin Yount. That would have been summer of 1974.

First NFL game (also Milwaukee County Stadium) was November 7, 1976 Bart Starr's Green Bay Packers v. New Orleans. The Packers came from behind to win in the 4th quarter. It would be another almost 20 years before I finally saw a game in Lambeau for the first time, were some kid named Brent or Burt or something was making some noise.

Never been to an NHL game.
Old 10-22-10, 11:52 AM   #21
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

During the early 70's, my grandfather would take me to Hawaii Islander baseball games at the old Honolulu Stadium.
Old 10-22-10, 12:00 PM   #22
mcnabb
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As far back as I can remember, I went to a Phillies game at Veterans Stadium in 1978 when I was 5 years old.
Old 10-22-10, 12:09 PM   #23
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I've never been to an NBA or NHL game. I've only been to a pre-season NFL game.

My first MLB game was Orioles vs. Mariners in the early 90s. Only names I knew were the two Juniors playing. Don't remember the score. Didn't go to another baseball game for a decade. I guess I'm due for another one soon.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 10-22-10, 12:41 PM   #24
adrenaline78
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no idea who played other than it was the Brewers vs someone at County Stadium in Milwaukee. Probably mid to late 80's. My earliest sporting memory is when Jose Canceco joined the 40/40 club.. but I'm sure it wasn't my first game.

NFL was Bills or Jets(saw them both, not sure who came first) against the Packers at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, when they used to play preseason games there.

Never been to an NBA or NHL game.. and I'd consider going to a NHL game.. but never a NBA game.
Old 10-22-10, 01:40 PM   #25
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Amazed that people can remember dates and details like this. My brain doesn't work that way.

Probably a Redskins game in the early 1980s.
Sponsored Links