Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-19-10, 09:14 AM   #1
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2010 NFL Schedule-NFL Network 4/20/10

It will be interesting too see how many prime time games for the Steelers and Vikings. I am hoping for (16) 1pm Sunday afternoon games for Minnesota , which won't happen. Whats the talk about a 17 or 18 game schedule? If they go with with 17,the odd numbered game will be a neutral site game. I say get rid of the bye week and go with 18 games.
Old 04-19-10, 09:29 AM   #2
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Re: 2010 NFL Schedule-NFL Network 4/20/10

I assume you're joking - they are not going to a 17/18 game schedule this season.

The only wrinkle I've heard is that NBC might get an extra game on top of what they've had in the past - possibly going up against World Series G2, which would be fine by me.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 04-19-10, 09:41 AM   #3
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I assume you're joking - they are not going to a 17/18 game schedule this season.

The only wrinkle I've heard is that NBC might get an extra game on top of what they've had in the past - possibly going up against World Series G2, which would be fine by me.
I'm talking about future NFL schedules. There would be alot less tie-breaker situations with a 17 game schedule. I think most of their tie-breaker rules are beyond stupid. Strength of schedule should have no bearing on tie-breaker. I would like too see point differential play more of a part in breaking ties.
Old 04-19-10, 11:38 AM   #4
The Cow
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I'm talking about future NFL schedules. There would be alot less tie-breaker situations with a 17 game schedule. I think most of their tie-breaker rules are beyond stupid. Strength of schedule should have no bearing on tie-breaker. I would like too see point differential play more of a part in breaking ties.
Has it ever come down to strength of victory, or strength of schedule?
Old 04-19-10, 11:44 AM   #5
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tie-breakers(two-way) should be:
a.) head to head
b.) head to head point differential
c.)division record
d.)division point differential
d.)conference record
e.)conference point differential
Old 04-19-10, 11:58 AM   #6
bootsy
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:

Why would he be joking? It's a legitimate issue.

They aren't going to a 18 game schedule this season but it could happen down the road depending on what happens with the CBA. He was on Dan Patrick's show and said this:
Goodell still wants to add two regular-season games. "We're thinking of flipping two preseason games and making them regular-season games," Goodell said. "It's in response to our fans and better for the game. We would still be staying within our 20 games."

I don't like adding two more regular season games. Just cut the preseason to 2-3 games and leave the regular season alone at 16 games.

Last edited by bootsy; 04-19-10 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 12:19 PM   #7
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember back in the late 60s,early 70s,teams would play 7 pre-season games. Back then,they were a big thing because of the merger. Now the fans have seen the light-they are meaningless games and they are paying full price for them.
Old 04-20-10, 09:05 AM   #8
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Goodell said that all week 17 games will be divisional matchups.

Rumor is that Cowboys at Redskins will be the primary 4:15 FOX game Week 1. That would be a refreshing change - seems like the Skins have always hosted the Boyz late in the season the last decade.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-20-10, 11:11 AM   #9
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Tie-breakers(two-way) should be:
a.) head to head
b.) head to head point differential
c.)division record
d.)division point differential
d.)conference record
e.)conference point differential
I disagree, and am thankful that the NFL does not do it this way.

IMO, encouraging teams to run-up the score NCAA-style will only result in more injuries and more problems as teams like MIN CHI and GB all try to see who can pummel DET the worst. (Or CIN PIT BAL vs CLE for that matter). I appreciate what you're trying to do, though. I just think that putting primary emphasis on WHETHER you've won (as the current tiebreakers do) instead of HOW you've won (as you propose) is the right way to go.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 04-20-10 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 11:19 AM   #10
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Goodell said that all week 17 games will be divisional matchups.
Yup, and being the NFL-is-anti-Bengal conspiracy theorist that I am, here's what I expect our schedule to look like:

1 at Jets - Seems pre-ordained that we'll be opening here on SNF/MNF.
2 Dolphins - NFL would want the 'Fish to play here as early as possible. Denies us a cold-weather advantage against a hot-weather team and makes us play in weather they're accustomed to
3 at Panthers - Our only warm-weather non-dome road game - of course it will be during the hottest part of the season
4 Buccaneers - See week 2
5 Chargers - See week 2 and the start of the pre-Steelers gauntlet.
6 at Colts - Gauntlet game 2
7 Saints - Gauntlet game 3, and gets the darling Saints out of here before the weather turns cold
8 at Steelers - Bruised, we will take on Pittsburgh in their place, probably after their bye
9 at Browns - The only way we play at a disadvantage in Cleveland is on the tail end of consecutive road games after taking a beating. The NFL will do their best to make this happen.
10 Ravens - At this point, only Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo are left on our home schedule. Last 2 games were PIT-CLE, and Buffalo is "reserved" (see below) to Baltimore has to go here.
11 at Falcons - As above, only three road games are left. At NE and at BAL are "reserved" (see below) so Atlanta has to go here
12 Browns - Cleveland and Pittsburgh are both next, these two games could flip-flop, but I see the league "milking" the CIN-PIT rematch by moving it one week later
13 Steelers - See week 12
14 at Patriots - For our final road trip (excluding week 16) we go to Boston.
15 Bills - As in weeks 2-5, the NFL denies us a cold-weather advantage by having us play host to the Bills after Christmas.
16 at Ravens - Of course we close on the road. PIT will get CLE (at home), so we go to Baltimore

I do not know when our bye would come. Probably after the 9th game just to give the Brownies a slightly better edge. I would not be surprised if all of the teams we play from weeks 5-10 would be coming off their own bye.

And I reiterate my prediction regarding the Steeler's schedule:

1 - The "Roethlisberger" effect will see them play AT MOST one 2009 playoff team during their first 5 games. (I used to say 4, but if Roethlisberger gets a month off the league will want him to have a creampuff in the 5th week to get up-to-speed against.)
2 - Continuing the above line of thinking, they will play AT LEAST three of the following teams in their first 4 games: Oakland, Carolina, Tampa, Miami, Cleveland, Buffalo. Throw in Tennessee and it's 4-of-5.
3 - They will close at home against Cleveland
4 - They will NOT play a late-season road game at Buffalo. On the contrary, I expect the at Bills game to be either in the first 4 OR will be game 5 if Roethlisberger sits out 4.
5 - They will get their bye immediately before they play Cincinnati.

A sample schedule, assuming a 4-game suspension, might look like this:

1 Raiders
2 at Titans
3 at Browns
4 Panthers
5 at Bills
6 Falcons
7 at Saints
bye
8 Bengals
9 at Ravens
10 Patriots
11 at Buccaneers
12 Ravens
13 at Bengals
14 Jets
15 at Dolphins
16 Browns
Old 04-20-10, 01:27 PM   #11
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Saints vs Vikings opening night, per Goodell's chat. Great game to start things off.
Old 04-20-10, 01:36 PM   #12
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Saints vs Vikings opening night, per Goodell's chat. Great game to start things off.
Vikings better have their backup QB ready to go the whole season, the Saints (cheating) almost killed Favre last time they played.
Old 04-20-10, 01:38 PM   #13
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Pretty much a no-brainer. The Saints home schedule only has 2 marquee opponents on it and with all the Steelers issues, you know Goodell wouldn't want them in the national tv season opener.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-20-10, 03:31 PM   #14
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

A Steelers station had a Steelers schedule up, but now it's down, leading me to believe that it was accurate.

No signs of a kenbuzz conspiracy (they had the Falcons and Ravens in the first 4 weeks), although all their primetime games were backloaded (all late Oct and beyond). The bye preceded a Browns game.

They do have the Browns Week 17, but on the road, but that's not a surprise, since we already know you will play a division opp in Week 17.
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-20-10 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 03:32 PM   #15
DVDMagic
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hoping the Panthers get a home game sometime over the Christmas/New Year period since my brother will be visiting from England and we're both eager to get to our first NFL game. Hoping ether the Falcons or Bucs since there are a few fans of each team at work so we should be able to get a group together to tailgate
Old 04-20-10, 03:48 PM   #16
Trevor

Hoping for some good away games for the Titans. My best friend works for them and travels to the games, so I get free room/board and ticket if I meet him.
Old 04-20-10, 03:56 PM   #17
sleepyhead55
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Away games for Titans:

Colts
Raiders
Chiefs
Cowboys
Giants
Dolphins
Jags
Texans
Old 04-20-10, 03:57 PM   #18
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

From WRC-TV twitter:

Redskins:
#Redskins2010SCHEDULE: DAL (snf), HOU, @STL, @PHI, GB, INDY (snf), @CHI, @DET, BYE, PHI (mnf), @TEN, MIN, @NYG, TB, @DAL, @JAX, NYG

I am not happy with that. 3 primetime games is ridiculous, and why do they all to be at home. The games I most want to go see: Dallas, Philly, Indy - all primetime. Ugh. It seems like we always play home games vs. Dallas and Philly at night.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-20-10, 04:06 PM   #19
Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
Away games for Titans:

Colts
Raiders
Chiefs
Cowboys
Giants
Dolphins
Jags
Texans
Thanks! Think I'll check out LA and the new Cowboys stadium this year.
Quote:
Redskins:
#Redskins2010SCHEDULE: MIN
Sweet! A chance to see my Vikings!
Old 04-20-10, 04:21 PM   #20
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

If the Steeler's schedule leak was true, here's a summary of their first 5 games:
1 - Atlanta
2 - at Tennessee
3 - at Tampa Bay
4 - Baltimore
5 - Cleveland

I predicted no more than 1 of their first 4-5 games against a 2009 playoff team. That's exactly what happened. And I predicted they would close out against Cleveland, which I kinda got right (right opponent, wrong stadium). And I went 3-of-5 in the "opening creampuff" prediction (TEN TB CLE were hits, no sign of OAK CAR BUF or MIA) rather than the 4-of-5 I guessed. I missed the rest.

And I'm happy I did.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 04-20-10 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 04:31 PM   #21
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Full Steelers schedule is UP at the Pitt Tribune site:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_677348.html

Sept. 12 Atlanta 1 p.m.
Sept. 19 @Tennessee 1 p.m.
Sept. 26 @Tampa Bay 1 p.m.
Oct. 3 Ravens 1 p.m.
Oct. 10 Bye
Oct. 17 Browns 1 p.m.
Oct. 24 @ Miami 1 p.m.
Oct. 31 @ New Orleans 8:20 p.m. (SNF)
Nov. 8 @ Bengals 8:30 p.m. (MNF)
Nov. 14 New England 8:20 p.m. (SNF)
Nov. 21 Oakland 1 p.m.
Nov. 28 @ Buffalo 1 p.m.
Dec. 5 @ Ravens 8:20 p.m. (SNF)
Dec. 12 Bengals 1 p.m.
Dec. 19 New York Jets 4:15 p.m.
Dec. 23 Carolina 8:20 p.m. (THURS)
Jan. 2 @ Browns 1 p.m.

I've already got a room booked for 11/8. Bring those bastards on!
Old 04-20-10, 04:36 PM   #22
sleepyhead55
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Full Detroit Schedule--

Sunday, Sept. 12 -- at Chicago
Sunday, Sept. 19 -- Philadelphia
Sunday, Sept. 26 -- at Minnesota
Sunday, Oct. 3 -- at Green Bay
Sunday, Oct. 10 -- St. Louis
Sunday, Oct. 1 7 -- at N.Y. Giants
BYE
Sunday, Oct. 31 -- Washington
Sunday, Nov. 7 -- N.Y. Jets
Sunday, Nov. 14 -- at Buffalo
Sunday, Nov. 21 -- at Dallas
Thursday, Nov. 25 -- New England
Sunday, Dec. 5 -- Chicago
Sunday, Dec. 12 -- Green Bay
Sunday, Dec. 19 -- at Tampa Bay
Sunday, Dec. 26 -- at Miami
Sunday, Jan. 2 -- Minnesota

Thanksgiving Games--
NE vs Det (early)
NO vs DAL (late)
there is usually a 3rd game but that hasn't been released yet
Old 04-20-10, 04:42 PM   #23
dick_grayson
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
From WRC-TV twitter:

Redskins:
#Redskins2010SCHEDULE: DAL (snf), HOU, @STL, @PHI, GB, INDY (snf), @CHI, @DET, BYE, PHI (mnf), @TEN, MIN, @NYG, TB, @DAL, @JAX, NYG

I am not happy with that. 3 primetime games is ridiculous, and why do they all to be at home. The games I most want to go see: Dallas, Philly, Indy - all primetime. Ugh. It seems like we always play home games vs. Dallas and Philly at night.
The Skins had 3 primetime games last year, too. What's the average each team gets? Either way, I just hope the Thanksgiving day-games aren't the usual bore...

EDIT: just saw above post about Thanksgiving games. NO-DAL should be decent. They gotta bump detroit off until they win the division or something. I imagine the nfl network will ensure the night game is decent.
Old 04-20-10, 04:42 PM   #24
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
From WRC-TV twitter:

Redskins:

Surprised the game in DC is the primetime game and not the one in Philadelphia, considering the hype that'll exist for the game in Philadelphia.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 04-20-10, 05:02 PM   #25
dvd-4-life
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
From WRC-TV twitter:

Redskins:

You're the one who loves night games.
Sponsored Links