Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-13-09, 10:15 PM   #226
BravesMG
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 2009 NFL Regular Season Thread -- Week 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
not sure how you can blame Dhani for that, seeing as how he plays for the Bengals
Interesting, so he probably is home then. Whoever 'Jones' is on the Eagles had one of the more pathetic tackling attempts I've seen in a while on Hixon's long TD.
Old 12-13-09, 10:23 PM   #227
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesMG View Post
Interesting, so he probably is home then. Whoever 'Jones' is on the Eagles had one of the more pathetic tackling attempts I've seen in a while on Hixon's long TD.
That would be safety Sean Jones, who's been interminably frustrating all year. Will look amazing at times, and then does that.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 12-13-09, 10:31 PM   #228
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

that ump had absolutely no clue if that was a TD. he was like "uhhhhhhh, sure this will make the game more interesting. TD!"
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 12-13-09, 10:33 PM   #229
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
that ump had absolutely no clue if that was a TD. he was like "uhhhhhhh, sure this will make the game more interesting. TD!"
Replay official is talking to the crowd at Buffalo Wild Wings right now.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 12-13-09, 10:48 PM   #230
Daryl
DVD Talk Legend

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Old 12-13-09, 10:50 PM   #231
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Trent Cole will be writing a very large check to the NFL for that one.

Since multiple precedents have been set by Flozell Adams, the NFL can't suspend Cole for a first offense like that.
Old 12-13-09, 10:51 PM   #232
TheNightFlier
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eli reminds me of Papke from Necessary Roughness when he scrambles. "BLOW THE WHISTLE!! BLOW THE WHISTLE!!!"

My DVD Collection

XBL-Ohcrapifell
Old 12-13-09, 10:53 PM   #233
wirefan
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
Trent Cole will be writing a very large check to the NFL for that one.

Since multiple precedents have been set by Flozell Adams, the NFL can't suspend Cole for a first offense like that.
He threw 2 punches, he could easily be suspended (and should be). He was also ejected from the game (Flozell had not been)... not sure what precedent you are referring to.
Old 12-13-09, 10:55 PM   #234
BravesMG
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightFlier View Post
Eli reminds me of Papke from Necessary Roughness when he scrambles. "BLOW THE WHISTLE!! BLOW THE WHISTLE!!!"
Tremendous.
Old 12-13-09, 10:56 PM   #235
mgbfan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I gotta go back for a second to the 13-0 Colts and Saints. I find it amazing that both of these teams have a chance to go 16-0, and yet both have been so (relativly) underwhelming. Seems like they're squeaking by, getting miracles left and right (Belichick and Suisham come to mind), getting scares from mediocre teams constantly, yet ... still 13-0.

Last edited by mgbfan; 12-13-09 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-13-09, 11:02 PM   #236
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

What a game. Go Birds!
Old 12-14-09, 12:42 AM   #237
JumpCutz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbfan View Post
I gotta go back for a second to the 13-0 Colts and Saints. I find it amazing that both of these teams have a chance to go 16-0, and yet both have been so (relativly) underwhelming. Seems like they're squeaking by, getting miracles left and right (Belichick and Suisham come to mind), getting scares from mediocre teams constantly, yet ... still 13-0.
Agreed. Both teams are imminently beatable.

Each are in unenviable positions. It's the old argument. Do they go all out and try to get through the regular season undefeated? Or do they rest some players, once home field through-out is secured, and perhaps lose a game... blah blah blah?

Going into the playoffs undefeated is a crap shoot at best.

The Saints defense does not look too impressive in my eyes, and Indy can seize up offensively on occasion.

It would be epic to see two undefeated teams playing in the Super Bowl though. If for no other reason than to shut up Mercury fucking Morris (and the incredibly overrated 72 Dolphin squad).
Old 12-14-09, 01:09 AM   #238
My Other Self
DVD Talk Legend

These teams can go 16-0 all they want. Doesn't mean they'll pull off victories when it counts.

"As far as 240 lb rapists go, she's not that bad." -- DRG
Old 12-14-09, 03:14 AM   #239
Da Thrilla
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
What a week for Aaron Rodgers to do jack fucking squat. Only one loss all season and I'm gonna get bounced from the playoffs
Yeah tell me about it...only got me 7 points on my Yahoo team and he has averaged 25 points all season! That asshole. lol
Old 12-14-09, 07:01 AM   #240
RayChuang
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I heard Eagles at Giants game on Westwood One radio (I had to go out to San Francisco International Airport to pick up my stepdad returning from Hong Kong) and gawd, it was a doozy! Probably one of the most entertaining games all year.

By the way, now that NBC's Sunday Night Football is on "flex" scheduling, any idea who will be playing this coming Sunday night?

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 12-14-09, 07:23 AM   #241
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
By the way, now that NBC's Sunday Night Football is on "flex" scheduling, any idea who will be playing this coming Sunday night?
Next week is Carolina/Minnesota and they've already confirmed that they're keeping that game on the night slot.
Old 12-14-09, 07:35 AM   #242
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Been a long long time since I've seen a dominating Redskins performance like that. Granted, knocking Gradkowski out of the game helped a lot since Jamarcus Russell may be the worst QB to ever play in the NFL. Figures I was going against the Skins D, but I guess I should happy that they didn't get that easy fumble recovery TD late.

And once again, thank you oddsmakers for a early x-mas by making Dallas a 3.5 pt favorite. SD +3.5 pays.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 12-14-09, 08:48 AM   #243
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirefan View Post
He threw 2 punches, he could easily be suspended (and should be). He was also ejected from the game (Flozell had not been)... not sure what precedent you are referring to.
The fact that multiple offenses won't get punished severely, so one offense (which occurred in retaliation) won't be either.

Of course, given how the NFL treats everything the Cowboys do with kid gloves, precedent be damned.

Also, Giants fans threw beer bottles at DeSean Jackson after his second TD. Nothing from ESPN on that one. I'd love to see what the major media reaction would've been if, say, it had happened in Philadelphia, and Eagles fans had thrown bottles at Brandon Jacobs. But no, the Eagles fans are awful. Yeah.
Old 12-14-09, 08:51 AM   #244
deadlax
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm surprised no one is talking about O'Hara's (I believe) instigation. He clearly put his hand to the facemask of Cole before Cole punched him (twice). Not sure what he was trying to do, but you put your hands at someone's face you better expect to get some sort of retaliation.

I'm still not sure why you get ejected for being the dumbass that punches someone in the helmet. It's not like you're kneeing someone. A good closed hand fist to that helmet has to hurt you pretty bad no matter how strong your hands are.

I'm sure O'Hara hardly felt it.
Old 12-14-09, 08:53 AM   #245
deadlax
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jackson takes the lead in a very close game and shows up everyone by walking backwards into the endzone for 10 yards. Almost as bad as S. Brown jogging into the endzone after his fumble recovery. If Irvin/Owens/Burress/Barber/Portis/Moss did that in Philly they would have gotten the same reaction.
Old 12-14-09, 08:53 AM   #246
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Anyways, if you want a better precedent, Tommie Harris (who also has a history) threw a punch at a Cardinals player a few weeks back. He was ejected, and he was fined, but he wasn't suspended.
Old 12-14-09, 08:54 AM   #247
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlax View Post
Jackson takes the lead in a very close game and shows up everyone by walking backwards into the endzone for 10 yards. Almost as bad as S. Brown jogging into the endzone after his fumble recovery. If Irvin/Owens/Burress/Barber/Portis/Moss did that in Philly they would have gotten the same reaction.
That's not my point. My point is that if that had happened in Philadelphia, every major sports media outlet would be highlighting an article on how horrible Eagles fans are, and bringing up the "history" like the Santa booing, etc. When it happens in NY, there's no mention of it at all.
Old 12-14-09, 09:02 AM   #248
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
That's not my point. My point is that if that had happened in Philadelphia, every major sports media outlet would be highlighting an article on how horrible Eagles fans are, and bringing up the "history" like the Santa booing, etc. When it happens in NY, there's no mention of it at all.
I remember the media making a big deal about that game in the Meadowlands in the 90s when fans were throwing iceballs (very dangerous) all over the place.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 12-14-09, 09:48 AM   #249
TheNightFlier
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I remember the media making a big deal about that game in the Meadowlands in the 90s when fans were throwing iceballs (very dangerous) all over the place.
Or the whole "Gate D" thing which made the Jets and their fans look like complete morons. That was all over the local and national media for weeks.

My DVD Collection

XBL-Ohcrapifell
Old 12-14-09, 11:22 AM   #250
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightFlier View Post
Or the whole "Gate D" thing which made the Jets and their fans look like complete morons. That was all over the local and national media for weeks.
Had to Google for that one - never heard about it until now. Guess not everything that happens in NYC makes it to "fly-over" country.