Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-15-09, 10:33 AM   #126
DVD Talk God

Re: ESPN's 30 For 30 Documentary Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Hopefully you will be man enough to eat your words in the next few years .
There would be no words to eat. Notice I said 'now.' Now is now, not future now.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 12-16-09, 09:00 PM   #127
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
There would be no words to eat. Notice I said 'now.' Now is now, not future now.
Red Dog when the Canes win a championship in the next couple of years I'm gonna get you a Canes hat so you can wear it proudly.
Miami Heat 2012 NBA Champions!!
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!!!
Old 01-01-10, 03:56 PM   #128
DVD Talk Hero

Marathon on ESPN2 today. I'm recording Bias and the USFL.
Old 01-01-10, 06:53 PM   #129
DVD Talk Legend

^ Thanks for the bump. I had missed the Bias special previously so I was thankful to catch it this evening.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 01-21-10, 10:55 AM   #130
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the spring schedule. Some really good ones seem to be coming up. Especially looking forward to the Reggie Miller one, The Two Escobars and the true story of Invictus. Curious about the Ricky Williams one as well. Should be a good run. Looks like I'll have to buy The U on Itunes since my DVR missed it for some reason.

ESPN Films and its acclaimed “30 for 30” series will return this spring with eight films from a star-studded filmmaker roster that includes Ice Cube, Steve James, Dan Klores, Brett Morgen and more. Joining the lineup will be Sean Pamphilon’s intimate portrait of embattled football player Ricky Williams’ hiatus from football in Run Ricky Run. The slate begins with a special presentation Sunday, March 14 at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN/ESPNHD with Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks. The schedule then gets underway again in its regular Tuesday slot with No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson April 13 at 8 p.m.

The schedule:
Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks (Dan Klores) – March 14, 9 p.m.Reggie Miller single-handedly crushed the hearts of Knick fans multiple times. But it was the 1995 Eastern Conference Finals which solidified Miller as "The Garden's Greatest Villain." With seconds to go in Game 1, and facing a seemingly insurmountable deficit of 105 - 99, Miller scored 8 points in 8.9 seconds to give his Indiana Pacers an astonishing victory. This career-defining performance, combined with his give-and-take with Knick fan Spike Lee, made Miller and the Knicks the spotlight story of the 1995 NBA post season. Award-winning director Dan Klores will explore how Miller proudly built his legend as the Big Apple’s Public Enemy #1 to become the king of the New York streets.

No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson (Steve James) – April 13, 8 p.m.
On Valentine's Day 1993, 17-year-old Bethel High School basketball star Allen Iverson was bowling in Hampton, Va., with five high school friends. It was supposed to be an ordinary evening, but it became a night that defined Iverson’s young life. A quarrel soon erupted into a brawl pitting Iverson’s young, black friends against a group of white patrons. The fallout from the fight and the handling of the subsequent trial landed the teenager -- considered by some the nation's best high school athlete -- in jail and sharply divided the city along racial lines. Oscar nominee Steve James (Hoop Dreams) returns to his hometown of Hampton, where he once played basketball, to take a personal look at this still-disputed incident and examine its impact on Iverson and the shared community.

Silly Little Game (Adam Kurland and Lucas Jansen) – April 20, 8 p.m.
Fantasy sports are estimated to be a $4 billion dollar industry that boasts over 30 million participants and a league for almost every sport imaginable. But for all this success, the story of the game’s inception is little known. The modern fantasy leagues can be traced back to a group of writers and academics who met at La Rotisserie Francaise in New York City to form a baseball league of their own: The Rotisserie League. The game quickly grew in popularity, and with the growing use and attractiveness of the internet, the “Founding Fathers” never foresaw how their creation would take off and ultimately leave them behind. Innovative filmmakers Adam Kurland and Lucas Jansen will chronicle the early development and ultimate explosion of fantasy baseball, and shine a light on its mostly unnoticed innovators.

Run Ricky Run (Sean Pamphilon) – April 27, 8 p.m.
Ricky Williams does not conform to America’s definition of the modern athlete. In 2004, with rumors of another positive marijuana test looming, the Miami Dolphins running back traded adulation and a mansion in South Florida for anonymity and a $7 a night tent in Australia. His decision created a media frenzy that dismantled his reputation and branded him as America's Pothead. But while most in the media thought Williams was ruining his life by leaving football, Ricky thought he was saving it. Through personal footage recorded with Williams during his time away from football and beyond, filmmaker Sean Pamphilon takes a fresh look at a player who had become a media punching bag and has since redeemed himself as a father and a teammate.
Straight Outta L.A. (Ice Cube) – May 4, 8 p.m.
In 1982, Raiders owner Al Davis beat the NFL in court and moved his team from Oakland to Los Angeles. With a squad as colorful as its owner, the Raiders captivated a large numbers of black and Hispanic fans in L.A. at a time when gang warfare, immigration and the real estate boom were rapidly changing the city. The L.A. Raiders morphed into a worldwide brand as the team’s colors, swagger and anti-establishment ethos became linked with “Gangsta Rap” and the hip-hop scene that was permeating South Central Los Angeles. Rapper-turned-filmmaker Ice Cube was not only witness to this revolution, he was also a part of it. As a member of the controversial rap group N.W.A, Ice Cube helped make the silver and black culturally significant to a new generation and demographic. Still a die-hard Raiders fan, Cube will explore the unlikely marriage between the NFL’s rebel franchise and America’s glamour city, and show how pro football’s outlaw team became the toast of La La Land.

The Two Escobars (Jeff Zimbalist) – May 11, 8 p.m.
Born in the same city in Colombia with the same last name, Andres Escobar and Pablo Escobar shared a fanatical childhood love for soccer. Andres grew up to become one of Colombia's most beloved players, while Pablo rose through the ranks of the criminal underground to become not only the most notorious drug baron of all time, but also arguably the secret weapon responsible for Colombian soccer's unprecedented rise to glory. Soccer was the vehicle for Colombia to transform its image on the international stage. But after its shocking early elimination from the 1994 FIFA World Cup, the mysterious murder of Andres Escobar dashed the hopes of a nation. Fifteen years later, The Two Escobars investigates the secret marriage of crime and sport, and uncovers the surprising connections between the murders of Andres and Pablo.

June 17, 1994 (Brett Morgen) – June 16, 10 p.m.
Do you remember where you were on June 17, 1994? Thanks to a wide array of unrelated, coast-to-coast occurrences, this Friday has come to be known for its firsts, lasts, triumphs and tragedy. Arnold Palmer played his last U.S. Open round at Oakmont, the FIFA World Cup kicked off in Chicago, the Rangers celebrated their first Stanley Cup in 54 years on Broadway, Ken Griffey Jr. reached a milestone in Kansas City and Patrick Ewing desperately pursued a long evasive championship in the Garden. And yet, all of that was a prelude to OJ Simpson leading America on a slow speed chase in a white Ford Bronco around Los Angeles. Oscar-nominated and Peabody Award-winning director Brett Morgen will artistically weave these moments and others to create a unique and nostalgic look at a day that no sports fan could forget.

The 16th Man (Cliff Bestall, Lori McCreary and Morgan Freeman) – June 22, 8 p.m.
Rugby has long been viewed in South Africa as a game for the white population, and the country's success in the sport has been a true source of Afrikaner pride. When the long entrenched injustices of apartheid were finally overthrown in 1992, Nelson Mandela’s new government began rebuilding a nation badly in need of racial unity. So the world was watching when South Africa played host to the 1995 Rugby World Cup. Though mostly white, the South African Springboks gained supporters of all colors as they made an improbable run into the finals and then beat heavily favored New Zealand. When Mandela himself marched to the center of the pitch cloaked in a Springbok jersey and embraced the members of the South African team, two nations became one. Oscar winner Morgan Freeman, producer Lori McCreary and director Cliff Bestall will tell the emotional story of that cornerstone moment and what it meant to South Africa’s healing process.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.

Last edited by Decker; 01-21-10 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-21-10, 11:18 AM   #131
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, Decker!

Thanks, Decker!
Old 01-30-10, 09:38 PM   #132

I hope they put these out on DVD/Blu-Ray (or individual eps., as I didn't care for ALL of them).
Old 01-30-10, 09:44 PM   #133
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlong View Post
I hope they put these out on DVD/Blu-Ray (or individual eps., as I didn't care for ALL of them).
Ditto. I'm interested in the Iverson and Escobar brother's one.
Old 01-30-10, 10:00 PM   #134

The Raiders one will be interesting. From what I saw watching the "History of the AFL" on Showtime recently, Al was (is still?) bitter about the AFL-NFL merger. He HATED the NFL. So all of his actions over the years to thumb his nose at the NFL make sense now.
Old 01-30-10, 10:03 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmund View Post
Unitas was elected to the HoF in 1979 and the Colts were still in Baltimore and he played for Baltimore and San Diego so how exactly could he be in the HoF as an Indianapolis Colt?

That being said on the HoF website there is no individual listing for the Baltimore Colts, they are lumped in under the Indianapolis Colts. Only Eric Dickerson is in the Hall as an Indy Colt, at least until Manning and Harrison go in .
On a related note, I was watching the last Colts/Ravens game that was in Baltimore last year, and one of the CBS announcers said that the Baltimore stadium personnel (scoreboard, announcing, etc.) don't refer to the Colts as the Indianapolis Colts. They refer to them as the Indianapolis professional football team. And the scoreboard read Indy. Not Indianapolis or Colts, but Indy. I thought, geez, get over it. But after watching the show, I can understand the bitterness that Baltimorians feel, even after regaining and NFL team. Robert Irsay really pulled a screw-job on the city.
Old 01-31-10, 06:09 AM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

Looking forward to most of them. Thanks for the schedule.
Old 01-31-10, 12:07 PM   #137
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
On a related note, I was watching the last Colts/Ravens game that was in Baltimore last year, and one of the CBS announcers said that the Baltimore stadium personnel (scoreboard, announcing, etc.) don't refer to the Colts as the Indianapolis Colts. They refer to them as the Indianapolis professional football team. And the scoreboard read Indy. Not Indianapolis or Colts, but Indy. I thought, geez, get over it. But after watching the show, I can understand the bitterness that Baltimorians feel, even after regaining and NFL team. Robert Irsay really pulled a screw-job on the city.
Agreed, but to be fair, Baltimore put a screw job on Cleveland and they don't feel at all bad about it even though the Ravens won a Super Bowl and the new Browns are HORRIBLE. Baltimore still plays the victim to this day and Indy still feels guilty about how things went down. They're very touchy about things like franchise records involving the Baltimore Colts. They treat things like the ring of fame and banners as if the team didn't exist before the move.

Old 01-31-10, 12:11 PM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently, Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks will have a debut showing at Conceco Fieldhouse on Feb 26 as a benefit for some local hospitals with Reggie Miller in attendance. I'd certainly go if I still lived there.

Old 01-31-10, 12:14 PM   #139
DVD Talk God

Quote:
But after watching the show, I can understand the bitterness that Baltimorians feel, even after regaining and NFL team. Robert Irsay really pulled a screw-job on the city.
You better believe it. As I said before, it wasn't just the move but the NFL bending over backwards to keep the NFL out of Baltimore for 12 years. Lot of bitterness there - if Irsay was the most hated man in Baltimore, Tagliabue was a close 2nd.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-31-10, 12:18 PM   #140
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Agreed, but to be fair, Baltimore put a screw job on Cleveland and they don't feel at all bad about it even though the Ravens won a Super Bowl and the new Browns are HORRIBLE. Baltimore still plays the victim to this day and Indy still feels guilty about how things went down. They're very touchy about things like franchise records involving the Baltimore Colts. They treat things like the ring of fame and banners as if the team didn't exist before the move.
Baltimore didn't screw Cleveland. The NFL did by not taking the most attractive package that Baltimore offered in the 1993 expansion derby (better than Charlotte's and Jacksonville's - and you can see the problems Jax is having today). Baltimore kept that package on the table with a 12/31/1995 expiration date - Modell jumped on it. The NFL then immediately guaranteed Cleveland a team. As opposed to when Baltimore lost their team...the NFL couldn't care less.

And there were a lot of people who felt bad that a team was taken. Baltimoreans would have much preferred an expansion team.
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-31-10 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-31-10, 01:38 PM   #141
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Apparently, Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks will have a debut showing at Conceco Fieldhouse on Feb 26 as a benefit for some local hospitals with Reggie Miller in attendance. I'd certainly go if I still lived there.
Didn't know about this. I will definitely try to make it. I miss those Pacer-Knick series in the 90's. Some great stuff.
Old 01-31-10, 01:39 PM   #142
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really wish they adopted the rule back then if you moved your team, you couldn't take the team name. If the Colts would have moved to Indy, and they would have become the Indy Ravens, and in 1996, the Baltimore Colts were reborn, I wonder if things wouldnt be as bitter. I know ESPN said today that this was the 4th SB appearance by the Colts, and I kept thinking, "Well, 2 by the Baltimore Colts, and 2 now by the Indy Colts!"
Old 03-01-10, 01:02 PM   #143
DVD Talk Hero

1. ESPN Films 30 for 30: The Band That Wouldn't Die (DVD - 2010)
Buy new: $14.95 $10.49
Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on Mar. 30, 2010.

2. ESPN Films 30 for 30: The Legend Of Jimmy The Greek (DVD - 2010)

3. ESPN Films 30 for 30: King's Ransom (DVD - 2010)

4. ESPN Films 30 for 30: Winning Time: Reggie Miller Vs. The New York Knicks (DVD - 2010)

5. ESPN Films 30 for 30: Muhammad & Larry (DVD - 2010)
Buy new: $19.95 $13.99

6. ESPN Films 30 for 30: Without Bias (DVD - 2010)

7. ESPN Films 30 for 30: Small Potatoes: Who Killed The USFL? (DVD - 2010)
Old 03-01-10, 01:35 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

1. ESPN Films 30 for 30: The Band That Wouldn't Die (DVD - 2010)

2. ESPN Films 30 for 30: The Legend Of Jimmy The Greek (DVD - 2010)

3. ESPN Films 30 for 30: King's Ransom (DVD - 2010)

4. ESPN Films 30 for 30: Winning Time: Reggie Miller Vs. The New York Knicks (DVD - 2010)

5. ESPN Films 30 for 30: Muhammad & Larry (DVD - 2010)
Buy new: $19.95 $13.99

6. ESPN Films 30 for 30: Without Bias (DVD - 2010)

7. ESPN Films 30 for 30: Small Potatoes: Who Killed The USFL? (DVD - 2010)
Sweet! Now if they came in a set, I would be ecstatic!
Old 03-01-10, 05:44 PM   #145
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to amazon.com the Muhammad and Larry one is 2 discs. I really hope there is a longer cut. That was one of the best films I've seen recently.
Old 03-01-10, 06:10 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Cool, hopefully Netflix will have for rent.
Old 03-01-10, 08:27 PM   #147
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've watched Without Bias; The Band That Wouldn't Die; and The U. Liked all 3 but the one on Miami was the best.

Last edited by Nefarious; 03-02-10 at 07:24 AM. Reason: correct title error
Old 03-02-10, 01:15 AM   #148
DVD Talk Hero

I still haven't seen the Bias one. Well, I watched it but the broadcast was all pixellated and words were dropping out. I didn't even bother with the other ones I had recorded (like USFL).
Old 03-05-10, 01:10 PM   #149
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I've enjoyed them all so far, and hope to catch the next batch, but can't imagine paying more than a couple bucks each to own them.
Old 03-05-10, 02:27 PM   #150
DVD Talk God

Upcoming ESPN premiere dates/times:

Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks, Sunday 3/14, 9 pm

Guru of Go (Paul Westhead/Hank Gathers/LMU), Saturday 4/3, 4 pm (ABC)

No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson, 4/13, 8 pm

Silly Little Game (Fantasy Sports), 4/20, 8 pm

Run Ricky (Williams) Run, 4/27, 8 pm

The Sixteenth Man (Rugby - South Africa), 5/4, 8 pm

Straight Outta L.A. (Al Davis and the Raiders mystique), 5/11, 8 pm

Schedule of all airings (and repeats of ones already aired):
http://30for30.espn.com/schedule.html
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 03-05-10 at 02:30 PM.