Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-29-09, 09:23 PM   #1
Doctor Gonzo
DVD Talk Special Edition

2016 Olympic - bid city videos

The winning city to host the 2016 Summer Olympics will be announced Friday - here are presentation videos from some of the cities that are bidding...

Tokyo

Chicago

Madrid

Rio

My Alternate Oscars - Best Picture 1927-28 > Wings 1928-29 > Broadway Melody 1929-30 > All Quiet On The Western Front 1930-31 > Frankenstein 1931-32 > Grand Hotel 1932-33 > King Kong 1934 > It Happened One Night 1935 > Mutiny On The Bounty 1936 > The Great Ziegfeld 1937 > The Awful Truth 1938 > The Adventures of Robin Hood 1939 > Gone With The Wind -- Next: The 40s
Old 09-30-09, 02:09 PM   #2
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2016 Olympic - bid city videos

http://chicagoansforrio.com/

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 10-01-09, 07:24 AM   #3
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

It's funny....I figured that going from DC to Chicago for work this week, I'd get a break from Obama, but all that was on the Chicago news was Obama going to Copenhagen.

Judging by all the commotion, this is a big deal to Chicago. I'd be surprised if they lost, but I've been surprised by these things before.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 10-01-09, 10:50 AM   #4
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Judging by all the commotion, this is a big deal to Chicago. I'd be surprised if they lost, but I've been surprised by these things before.
It's a big deal for Daley and his cronies who will make tens of millions off this. Just about everyone I know doesn't want it.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Old 10-01-09, 10:53 AM   #5
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
It's a big deal for Daley and his cronies who will make tens of millions off this. Just about everyone I know doesn't want it.
Indeed. Chicago politics and the Olympics are a match made in heaven. One wonders why it took over 100 years to happen.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-01-09, 11:25 AM   #6
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I'm sure there is plenty of money in the state budget for it.
Old 10-01-09, 11:40 AM   #7
ctyankee
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

With the Olympics it's about the money and (all things being equal) where the members want to party.

I think Chicago and Rio will be favored because the U.S. television market is a key factor. Put event on time-delay and people will just watch on the Internet, if at all.

I like Chicago as a city but summers in Chicago are pretty darn hot. Grant park is also a logistical nightmare with large crowds as it is so that will be far from ideal.

Rio is my choice but it will be there in their winter which may not appeal much to voters and the sport organization they represent.

It's been in Spain recently so I think Madrid may have to wait a while and it's already been in Tokyo.

I'm guessing Chicago wins but I still think Rio would be a more interesting selection. I know that it's awarded to host cities not nations but it's hard to dismiss that the U.S. has held the Olympics way more than our fair share.
Old 10-01-09, 12:14 PM   #8
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
I'm sure there is plenty of money in the state budget for it.
meh, Todd Stroger will probably make every winner pay a tax on each medal they win and the people that carry the torch will need to buy a special permit

Old 10-01-09, 12:46 PM   #9
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

When I was in Chicago, I saw on the news that they just amended the proposal which guaranteed that the government would cover any cost overruns. Does anyone know if that's local, state, federal or all of the above?
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-01-09, 12:59 PM   #10
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

The city is responsible for any overrun

Old 10-01-09, 01:01 PM   #11
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
The city is responsible for any overrun
OK, but with Obama in the White House, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to bail them out when they need it. It's the American way.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-01-09, 01:33 PM   #12
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Either way the money will be from China

Old 10-01-09, 01:37 PM   #13
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Either way the money will be from China
They should just let Beijing host it all the time. Nobody will ever top that Opening Ceremonies and the time zone works well for US television.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-01-09, 01:53 PM   #14
SunMonkey
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The announcement will be carried live on NBC Universal Sports (both broadcast and online) tomorrow at 10 am EST:

http://www.universalsports.com
Old 10-01-09, 03:05 PM   #15
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

So with all the graft and corrpution inside the IOC, as well as within Chicago and Illinois political circles, does anyone reasonably think that Chicago is NOT going to get the bid? I wonder how many bribes and kickbacks have already been given or pledged?

I hope it goes somewhere else... that much organized crime in one concentrated area might rip a hole in the fabric of the universe, and I'm pretty sure a lot of Indiana will get sucked into it.
Old 10-01-09, 03:30 PM   #16
XavierMike
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get what you are saying, but i love the idea of only a 5-hour drive to see an Olympic event. Plus, here some of the events might actually be here.
Old 10-01-09, 03:37 PM   #17
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the video in this thread was the Chicago bid video:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...ught-tape.html
Old 10-01-09, 03:57 PM   #18
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
So with all the graft and corrpution inside the IOC, as well as within Chicago and Illinois political circles, does anyone reasonably think that Chicago is NOT going to get the bid? I wonder how many bribes and kickbacks have already been given or pledged.
No, see, that's going to be the problem. I think Daley and Stroger & Co. have been confused by the Olympics thing. I'm not sure they grasp that they're expected to be giving bribes, not receiving them.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 10-02-09, 10:44 AM   #19
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Chicago was eliminated in the first round, Tokyo went next.

As an Illinois taxpayer - I am happy.
Old 10-02-09, 11:09 AM   #20
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

The media here is going bananas. One network is blaming the head of the USOC, one network is saying it's anti-Americanism, one just looks like someone ran over their dog.

Some network had the geographic breakdown of the vote and almost half the vote belonged to Europe so I have no idea how people thought Chicago had a good shot.

Old 10-02-09, 11:11 AM   #21
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

As a Chicago taxpayer, I say "Thank goodness."

As someone with even a slight bit of pride for my city and my country, I say "Bite me, IOC."
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 10-02-09, 11:16 AM   #22
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
As a Chicago taxpayer, I say "Thank goodness."

As someone with even a slight bit of pride for my city and my country, I say "Bite me, IOC."
And what about as an Obama fan? Can we get that reaction? I assume you're absolutely crushed that Europe thumbed their noses at him.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-02-09, 11:16 AM   #23
mhg83
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

The media here is going bananas. One network is blaming the head of the USOC, one network is saying it's anti-Americanism, one just looks like someone ran over their dog.

Some network had the geographic breakdown of the vote and almost half the vote belonged to Europe so I have no idea how people thought Chicago had a good shot.
I wonder if this story had anything to do with Chicago losing
Old 10-02-09, 11:21 AM   #24
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
Chicago spent nearly $50 million preparing its bid
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/sp...d=2&hp?hp&_r=1

Great job, Chicago. Super.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 10-02-09, 11:21 AM   #25
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
I figured all those Europeans loved Obama. So much for that. I also figured they loved (US TV) money more than they hated America. So much for that.
- Josh Hinkle
Sponsored Links