Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-29-08, 03:21 PM   #1
Jobronie
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Johan Santana to the Mets for prospects - Update - done deal

Figured this was big enough to get its own thread, best pitcher in baseball and all. USAtoday.com:

Quote:
By Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY

The New York Mets have agreed to a trade for two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana, giving up four prospects to acquire the left-handed ace of the Minnesota Twins, according to two high-ranking Twins officials with knowledge of the talks and a person close to Santana.

The deal is pending the Mets and Santana reaching agreement on a six- or seven-year contract extension and that Santana passes a physical; they have been granted a 48 to-72-hour window to do so.

The Mets paid a high price in prospects to land Santana, agreeing to send the Twins outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.

The deal would give the Mets the much-needed ace at the front of their rotation. Santana won the American League Cy Young Award in 2004 and 2006 and is 93-44 lifetime. He went 15-13 with a 3.33 ERA for the Twins last season. Santana has struck out at least 235 batters each of the past four seasons.

While the deal drains much of the talent out of the Mets' farm system, they did manage to hold on to top prospect Fernando Martinez, an outfielder. Instead, they headed the package with Gomez, who turned 22 in December and spent 58 games with the Mets last year.

Gomez is what scouts like to call a five-tool player, a combination of offensive ability that includes power and speed as well as an above-average defensive game and a strong arm. He has worked to cut down a strikeout rate that was high during the early part of a minor league career that began in 2004 after the Mets signed him out of the Dominican Republic. He made his major league debut last May and hit .232.

Humber, 25, is the Mets' 2004 first-round pick who has made five major league appearances, including one start, over the past two seasons. He won 11 games at Class AAA last season, his first full year after having Tommy John surgery in 2005.

Santana would give the Mets the best rotation in the NL East after they missed out on the division title by one game thanks to a historic September collapse. He'd likely be joined by Pedro Martinez, John Maine, Oliver Perez and Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez.

The Twins, meanwhile, would see yet another young star they produced leave the organization. Their Gold Glove outfielder, Torii Hunter, left for the Los Angeles Angels this offseason. Gomez would be a candidate to replace him in center field.
link

Last edited by Jobronie; 02-01-08 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-29-08, 03:25 PM   #2
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Yikes.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 01-29-08, 03:25 PM   #3
huh?
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thank God its not the Red Sox.
Old 01-29-08, 03:26 PM   #4
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Without Martinez, I liked the original Yanks and Sox deals better, but honestly I don't know much about the Met's guys. At least now it won't be as painful to watch him pitch.
Old 01-29-08, 03:27 PM   #5
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

That stinks. I wanted the Sox to get him and I would have given up Lester, Ellsbury, and 5 years, $125.
Old 01-29-08, 03:27 PM   #6
matta
Banned

Fuck
Old 01-29-08, 03:28 PM   #7
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

So, are the Mets now the front runner for the NL? Or do Colorado/Philly/Arizona still have something to say about it?
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 01-29-08, 03:29 PM   #8
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

this pending the contract... lets see
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 01-29-08, 03:34 PM   #9
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones
So, are the Mets now the front runner for the NL? Or do Colorado/Philly/Arizona still have something to say about it?
I say they do. Santana can't pitch every day and the Mets still have other issues outside of their infield to resolve.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 01-29-08, 03:36 PM   #10
Dave7393
DVD Talk Gold Edition

.... but I don't like six years.
Old 01-29-08, 03:36 PM   #11
parrotheads4
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow! I must be dreaming. And the Giants are in the "Big Game". Next thing you know Sirius and XM will merge, and this will be the greatest 2 years since 86/87!
Old 01-29-08, 03:42 PM   #12
Rogue588
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Thank God its not the Yankees.

| owned | desired | ditchin' | listen Wednesday 10p |
Old 01-29-08, 03:43 PM   #13
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheads4

Wow! I must be dreaming. And the Giants are in the "Big Game". Next thing you know Sirius and XM will merge, and this will be the greatest 2 years since 86/87!
You didn't get the call from the doctor? You have cancer.

Old 01-29-08, 03:44 PM   #14
Kicker_of_Elves
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn! I was hoping the Sox would get him as well.
Old 01-29-08, 03:44 PM   #15
Jobronie
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Quote:
Right off the top, figure he gets 4-5 starts vs. Philly, so that knocks Philly back a bit.

I'm hoping for AZ, since I got tickets for them at Fenway.....
Old 01-29-08, 03:47 PM   #16
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

i am just glad Boston didnt get him... phhheeeewwww.... but now lets see if he will accept his contract....
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 01-29-08, 03:49 PM   #17
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobronie
Right off the top, figure he gets 4-5 starts vs. Philly, so that knocks Philly back a bit.

I'm hoping for AZ, since I got tickets for them at Fenway.....
Maybe you'll get lucky and see Webb/Johnson/Haren as the starters.

Old 01-29-08, 03:50 PM   #18
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

The Mets and Twins have agreed on a trade to send star pitcher Johan Santana to New York, SI.com has confirmed.

The Mets will now have a window to try to negotiate a long-term deal with Santana, who has a full no-trade clause and veto power of trades. People familiar with the Mets thinking say they'd like to keep it to a five-year contract. Assuming the Mets can reach an agreement with Santana, the players the Twins will be acquiring are young outfielder Carlos Gomez plus young pitchers Phil Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Deolis Guerra, according to a report on USAToday.com. That has been the offer the Mets made weeks ago.

The Mets also discussed possibly substituting reliever Jorge Sosa for Humber in recent days. Santana, who rejected an $80-million, four-year proposal from the Twins, is believed to be seeking a six- or seven-year contract for more than $20 million per year.

Santana has been on the trading block for most of the offseason, after it became clear the Twins were not likely to resign their ace to the long-term big-money contract he is looking for when his current contract expires at the end of the coming season.

It originally appeared that the Mets' cross-town rivals, the New York Yankees, had the best chance to land Santana, but Yankees GM Brian Cashman balked at dealing prized young pitching prospect Phil Hughes.

The defending world champion Boston Red Sox also had been involved in the discussions. Boston was believed to have made two separate offers, one leading with promising lefty starter Jon Lester, who won the clinching game of the World Series, and the other with centerfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, who shined in the Red Sox postseason run.

Details of the trade were first reported by USA Today.
Old 01-29-08, 03:50 PM   #19
Jericho
DVD Talk Legend

Big move for the Mets, and what appears to be a disappointing return for the Twins. I'd imagine the Mets have no problem throwing the necessary coin at Santana (6 years at $150). It should also make them strong front runners next season for the NL.

Also a great move for Santana's fantasy stats. In the NL in a pitcher's park? Nice. Only Jake Peavy has a better situation (NL West with Petco).
Old 01-29-08, 03:56 PM   #20
Jobronie
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho
Also a great move for Santana's fantasy stats. In the NL in a pitcher's park? Nice. Only Jake Peavy has a better situation (NL West with Petco).
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can see him winning 25 a few times in the next five years in the NL East, assuming he stays healthy and they don't keep him on too tight a leash.

90 wins for him over the next four years is doable.....
Old 01-29-08, 03:56 PM   #21
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, I was fine with a trade until it actually happened, now part of me is hoping for a non-too likely train wreck.
Old 01-29-08, 04:03 PM   #22
matta
Banned

Quote:
Philly? They're front runners to finish 3rd in the NL East.
Old 01-29-08, 04:04 PM   #23
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

Mets have a good chance now.
Old 01-29-08, 04:05 PM   #24
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho
Big move for the Mets, and what appears to be a disappointing return for the Twins. I'd imagine the Mets have no problem throwing the necessary coin at Santana (6 years at $150). It should also make them strong front runners next season for the NL.

Well, he's only got one more year at Shea until Citi Park opens in 2009.

Citi Field's dimensions:

Quote:
Field Dimensions
Left Field - 335 ft (102 m)
Left Center - 379 ft (116 m)
Center Field - 408 ft (124 m)
Right Center - 383 ft (119 m)
Right Field - 330 ft (101 m)
Shea Stadium's dimensions:

Quote:
Left Field 338 f (103 m)
Medium Left-Center 358 (109)
Left-Center 371 (113)
Left-Center (deep) 396 (121)
Center 410 (125)
Right-Center (deep) 396 (121)
Right- 371 (113)
Medium Right-Center 358 (109)
Right Field 338 (103)
Looks like the new park is not quite as pitcher friendly as Shea. Obviously these dimensions could change at any time.

Old 01-29-08, 04:05 PM   #25
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by matta
Philly? They're front runners to finish 3rd in the NL East.
Right....So the Braves are going to miraculously overcome them when they've lost talent?

Sponsored Links