Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-04-08, 06:00 PM   #151
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

this would be freaking awesome

Quote:
Rotoworld claims: "Favre plans to fly to Green Bay on Sunday and report to camp. The latest rumor is that the Packers plan to let Favre do only individual work in camp and release him the day before the season starts. At that point, he'll be so far behind that he won't be able to help a team like the Vikings early in the season."
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 08-04-08, 06:44 PM   #152
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizz
this would be freaking awesome

I told a guy at work that if he did come to the Vikes, he would probably be traded/released right before the first game. The sad thing is, he could probably pick up the offense as good as T-jack just by studying the playbook on the way to the game. I wonder if they wouldn't actually pick him up so his consecutive starts streak would continue. (no clue if the streak still counts if you aren't on a team at all when you miss a game)
Old 08-04-08, 08:51 PM   #153
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty funny live blog of the Favre saga on espn tonight:

Quote:
We're trying something new here, at least for the NFC North blog. We're going to attempt live updates on what Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy says to the media Monday night in his news conference, scheduled for 8:15 p.m. CT. Keep refreshing to get the latest updates.

We'll provide the paraphrased highlights in a bullet format. I'm a decent speller but the live nature of this attempt could make this a bit interesting. Hng in there with us.

* 8:13 p.m. -- Awaiting McCarthy. (I know, big news.)
* 8:20 p.m. -- Ditto.
* 8:25 p.m. -- Still waiting. Clearly, this means something is amiss. (Actually, it means nothing but we feel the need to draw grand conclusions.)
* 8:31 p.m. -- So why did the chicken cross the road?
* 8:35 p.m. -- To get to the other side of the Rubicon, obviously.
* 8:40 p.m. -- Packers director of public relations Jeff Blumb just announced the news conference is postponed. Favre and McCarthy have been meeting since 6 p.m. and they are still talking. Blumb said there is no estimated time for the meeting's end, so McCarthy will address the issue tomorrow.
* 8:42 p.m. -- Well, that worked well. We'll get to work on some related blog posts.
Old 08-05-08, 06:13 AM   #154
Chew
DVD Talk Legend

The meeting last night lasted 5.5 hours!

Read into that what you will.
Old 08-05-08, 07:15 AM   #155
Brian Shannon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
If I was Rodgers, I'd sit this one out and jet out of there first thing next year. He'll be a free agent come next year and with this cluster fuck, it's obvious that no matter how good (or bad) he is, he won't get a chance with Favre's drama queen antics.
I agree.

I have lost alot of respect for Favre.

Now we get to watch him try to win a superbowl again. And if he fails? If he fails horribly? Then what, he wimpers on the podium once again about possibly retiring?

How long are people going to put up with this? Will he still be dragging his broken down, tired body to camp again next year and the year after that?

What if he gets his leg broken on the first play from scrimmage no matter what team he plays for?

He made it to the NFC championship game, he should have ended his career on that note!
Old 08-05-08, 08:46 AM   #156
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

The tampering charges against the Vikings were thrown out:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...per-with-Favre
Old 08-05-08, 09:42 AM   #157
Iron Chef
DVD Talk Legend

When is the press conference?
Old 08-05-08, 09:45 AM   #158
Iron Chef
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000
The tampering charges against the Vikings were thrown out:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...per-with-Favre

good
Old 08-05-08, 10:21 AM   #159
Chew
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef
When is the press conference?
It isn't even scheduled yet. They practice in less than 4 hours, so something has to happen before then. And even if it doesn't: Favre on the field or Favre not on the field will tell us a whole lot in itself.
Old 08-05-08, 11:18 AM   #160
Iron Chef
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew
It isn't even scheduled yet. They practice in less than 4 hours, so something has to happen before then. And even if it doesn't: Favre on the field or Favre not on the field will tell us a whole lot in itself.
I'm sure that espn will let us all know if he is on the field or not.
Old 08-05-08, 11:48 AM   #161
mgbfan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Rogers really has nothing to lose by sitting out. Sure he'll be fined, but he's unrestricted next year, and he'll get his dollars.
He will? Teams will be beating down his door to give him a huge, multi-million dollar contract for playing in like 2 games over four years (and getting hurt in both of those)?

You're dreaming. The kid desperatly needs to play and actually show something. As of now, he's done absolutely jack squat. If he "sits out" then he's a malcontent who's done jack squat. Not exactly an appealing free agent.
Old 08-05-08, 12:02 PM   #162
Chew
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently, we won't get a press conference today either.

I guess that means Ari isn't in town yet.
Old 08-05-08, 12:02 PM   #163
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

A lot of hubbub for an old guy who has lost 6 of his last 9 playoff games (not counting the SB he lost before that run). It's not like this guy is Young, Elway, or Montana.
Old 08-05-08, 12:12 PM   #164
bauermj

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
A lot of hubbub for an old guy who has lost 6 of his last 9 playoff games (not counting the SB he lost before that run). It's not like this guy is Young, Elway, or Montana.
Does he play on both sides of the football? Last I checked it was a team sport.
And its not a lot of hubbub for someone who has won 3 MVPs (tied for the most ever).
Old 08-05-08, 12:18 PM   #165
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

The way those tards in GB treat this guy, it's as if he plays both sides of the ball, special teams, coaches, is a majority shareholder of the team, and was once crucified on a cross many many years ago.

With as much hype as he gets, he's the most overrated QB ever.

And I love that his legacy is now tarnished because of this whole saga. Fuck him.
Old 08-05-08, 12:19 PM   #166
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauermj
Does he play on both sides of the football? Last I checked it was a team sport.
And its not a lot of hubbub for someone who has won 3 MVPs (tied for the most ever).
The Hagiography of Farve is beyond annoying...and not supported by his play...it's really a mystery to me...

Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...sal&id=3281535

Overhyped: Favre didn't deliver in second half of career
By Sal Paolantonio

We interrupt the continued deification of Brett Favre -- a first-ballot Hall of Famer and the most durable player in NFL history -- with the following reality check.

Yes, Favre played long enough to throw the most touchdown passes and collect the most wins by an NFL quarterback. But let's examine the second half of No. 4's career. The truth is, Favre did little over the past decade to earn the gushing praise heaped upon him by our fawning brethren in the media.

Best-Ever Debate

In his 17 seasons, Brett Favre set numerous NFL records, including most yards passing (61,655) and most touchdowns (442).

But do those numbers, combined with Favre's three MVP awards and one Super Bowl victory, put him among the top 10 quarterbacks of all time?

Recently, ESPN.com's Mike Sando and Football Outsiders' Aaron Schatz examined the best-ever debate.

Sando | Football Outsiders

After beating the San Francisco 49ers in the 1997 NFC Championship Game, Favre won just three of his last 10 playoff games. Eli Manning had more postseason wins in a 29-day span this past season than Favre had in his last decade with the Green Bay Packers.

Yes, Favre won a Super Bowl -- 11 years ago! But as his career arc spiraled downward, the blind adulation only got worse.

Favre's passer rating in his last 12 postseason games was a pedestrian 77.8. In his last five wild-card games, he went 2-3 with more interceptions (nine) than touchdown passes (seven). In his last three divisional playoff games, he went 1-2 with seven TDs and seven interceptions. That's a 3-5 record with 14 touchdown passes and 16 picks.

In two of his last four postseason appearances, Favre threw two of the most unthinkable playoff interceptions in NFL history, both in overtime -- to Brian Dawkins of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2003 and to Corey Webster of the New York Giants in January. In fact, Favre is the only quarterback in NFL history to throw overtime interceptions in two playoff games. In his last nine playoff games, Favre threw 18 interceptions.

Brett Favre's career playoff record was 12-10. Fellow Packer star quarterback Bart Starr, above, was 9-1.

In the first 81 years of the Green Bay franchise, the most hallowed in all of pro football, the Packers were 13-0 at home in the postseason. But since 2002, the Packers have gone 2-3 in playoff games at Lambeau Field, with Favre losing to three not-quite Hall of Fame quarterbacks: Michael Vick, Daunte Culpepper and Manning.

If Manning had a decade like that, he'd be run out of New York. If Philip Rivers kept chucking ridiculous overtime interceptions in the postseason, he would be branded a first-round bust. If Drew Brees came up short in three out of five home playoff games, he'd be mocked.

But no matter how many dumb passes he threw and how many playoff games he lost, Favre remains immune to criticism.

Favre isn't even the greatest quarterback in the history of the Packers. It's not even close. Bart Starr won five NFL championships -- four more than Favre -- and retired as the NFL's most accurate passer.

Oh, you say Starr was surrounded by a Hall of Fame roster with a legendary coach. But Starr still is the NFL record holder with a 104.8 career playoff passer rating, nearly 20 points higher than Favre's. That wasn't Vince Lombardi or Ray Nitschke throwing those passes for Starr, whose career postseason passer rating, by the way, is 38 points higher than Johnny Unitas'.

Favre's career playoff record was 12-10. Starr's was 9-1 -- without the benefit of wild-card games. Favre threw 28 interceptions in 22 playoff games. Starr threw three in 10. Think about that -- just three picks in 213 postseason attempts.

But Bart Starr gets the Ringo Starr treatment -- underappreciated and overlooked. Favre gets put on a pedestal. Yes, he had a Pro Bowl season in 2007 with the youngest roster in the NFL. But his final moment on Lambeau Field was a wildly errant pass that turned into the NFC title for the Giants.

Indeed, a decade after his last moments of glory, the football hype machine continues to paint Favre as a hallowed icon of Americana, a symbol of all that is right with sports, a Wild West gun-slinging good ol' boy. There's Brett on the farm! There's Brett with his family! There's Brett on the cover of Sports Illustrated! There's Brett throwing another overtime interception!

Favre was among the best in the game, once upon a time. Those days are long gone. Only the idolatry remains.
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"

Last edited by HistoryProf; 08-05-08 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 01:12 PM   #167
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

Brett Favre has spoken, and he doesn't sound happy.

Speaking to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Favre said he and the Packers are "at a stalemate."

"Mike and I both agreed last night that me being out there is a distraction and will continue to be a distraction," Favre said in a story that was posted on ESPN.com a few minutes ago. "We all know the reason I'm here is because the commissioner [Roger Goodell] reinstated me so we have a lot of things to figure out. It's simple and complicated, both at the same time."

According to the report, Favre said his request for a trade to another team in the NFC North was shot down.

Favre also confirmed that there's not likely to be an open competition between him and Rodgers for the Packers' starting quarterback job.

"Mike told me, hey, we're a better team with you on it but wanted to know if I have a problem with an open competition," Favre told Mortensen. "I don't have a problem with competing -- you know that, but Aaron should be the starter right now because he's been out here all this time. This is more than about an open competition and I can do that, absolutely, but this is going to be mass confusion and that's not good for this team.

"I'll practice my butt off, if it comes to that, and I think we all know what the end result will be, but this probably isn't going to work. And I truly understand that if I was in Mike's shoes, I'd see it basically the same way he sees it, I'm sure. And I think if he was in my shoes, he'd see it my way. I think we both agree on that.

"They want to know if I'm committed but I want to know if they're 100 percent committed. The problem is that there's been a lot of damage done and I can't forget it. Stuff has been said, stories planted, that just aren't true. Can I get over all that? I doubt it."

Asked by Mortensen what stories have been "planted," Favre alluded to the reports that said he waffled on un-retiring in late March or early April. He said that's "just not the way it went down, at all."

He also expressed anger with the stories that alleged he had a team-issued cell phone that showed the Vikings were tampering with him.

"Again, that was bull on both parts," he said.

"Then," Favre said, "they tried to buy me off to stay retired."

He added, "So they can say they welcome me back but, come on, the way they've treated me tells you the truth. They don't want me back, so let's move on. I don't know where it's headed. We'll see."

It was unclear exactly when Mortensen interviewed Favre, but the story was posted at 11:52 a.m., CDT. Favre's Cadillac Escalade remains parked in the south loading dock at Lambeau Field.
Old 08-05-08, 01:25 PM   #168
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

goddam, he's a little bitch. does he have any idea how badly he's destroying his legacy?

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 08-05-08, 02:48 PM   #169
Sweet Baby James
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
The way those tards in GB treat this guy, it's as if he plays both sides of the ball, special teams, coaches, is a majority shareholder of the team, and was once crucified on a cross many many years ago.

With as much hype as he gets, he's the most overrated QB ever.

And I love that his legacy is now tarnished because of this whole saga. Fuck him.
QFT
Old 08-05-08, 03:02 PM   #170
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Come on guys. Favre just loves to play the game.
Old 08-05-08, 03:07 PM   #171
Iron Chef
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
3:35 - Oh shit, where's Favre parked? Is TT doing Deanna on the side? Is that what all this is about?

3:42 - Oh, Favre's parked on the street. My bad.

3:45 - BUT HE MIGHT NOT BE HOME

3:49 - oh god he's coming down the street in a rental

3:51 - Favre just murdered TT with his bare hands

Chris Mortensen blogs for ESPN
Old 08-05-08, 03:18 PM   #172
Dash
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

Yeah but only for a team that has a chance to win. If he wanted to play so bad he would be willing to talk to the Jets or Bucks. Instead he is holding out for a chance to go to the Vikings.

I am also one to think that at this point in time Rodgers is better for the team than Favre. I mean the chance he had to prove himself. He did a great job.
Old 08-05-08, 03:18 PM   #173
Iron Chef
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Old 08-05-08, 03:23 PM   #174
bauermj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashed
I am also one to think that at this point in time Rodgers is better for the team than Favre. I mean the chance he had to prove himself. He did a great job.
Old 08-05-08, 03:31 PM   #175
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbfan
He will? Teams will be beating down his door to give him a huge, multi-million dollar contract for playing in like 2 games over four years (and getting hurt in both of those)?

You're dreaming. The kid desperatly needs to play and actually show something. As of now, he's done absolutely jack squat. If he "sits out" then he's a malcontent who's done jack squat. Not exactly an appealing free agent.
Malcontent part notwithstanding, teams are always going to be lining up to pay QBs on potential, when they've only played a few games. There are numerous examples thereof.
Sponsored Links