Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-19-07, 09:48 AM   #1
Matthew Ackerly
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bill Parcells to become VP of Operations for Atlanta Falcons

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3160597

Bill Parcells said Wednesday that he likely will accept the Atlanta Falcons' offer to become the team's vice president of football operations.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. [Owner] Arthur [Blank] and I have had some pretty constructive discussions. I basically will oversee the football operations. We'll meet today -- not in Atlanta -- and work out some of the final details but I don't think there's any deal breakers here," Parcells said.

Parcells said he has no plans to return to coaching.

"Arthur wants to rebuild the football operation. I'll hire a general manager and then we'll hire a coach. We'll do this together, the GM, the coach and myself. The coach absolutely will not be Bill Parcells. All this happens if we finalize this thing, which I expect to do."

Asked about a potential GM and coach, Parcells said, "I've got a list but that's all I'm saying."

Parcells added that current GM Rich McKay would be asked to stay aboard but that "I don't really know how he feels about that."

Blank has informed McKay that he will not return in the same role, even though the owner wants McKay to remain as the team's president, sources said.

Blank's talks with Parcells evolved from an advisory role into a firm offer to rebuild his football operation, sources said.

Blank could not be reached for comment.

Parcells, an ESPN NFL analyst, also has had limited dialogue with the Miami Dolphins about a similar role but the talks with the Falcons have been more urgent, a league source said.

McKay is out as general manager, sources said, even if Parcells does not join the Falcons. However, Blank has asked McKay to remain as the team's president to oversee short-range and long-range stadium plans and continue as a valuable liaison with the league.

It is uncertain if McKay would accept a new role with the Falcons. He also is co-chairman of the league's competition committee.

If Parcells declines his offer, Blank still will hire a new general manager or he could give personnel control to the new head coach, sources said.

Blank has acted with urgency since Bobby Petrino resigned as coach on Dec. 12th. He spoke with Bill Cowher on Friday when the former Steelers coach told the owner that he had no plans to return to the sidelines in 2008, sources said.

The Falcons owner also consulted with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones concerning Parcells, who resigned in January after four years as the Dallas coach. Jones credited Parcells with the franchise's turnaround at a point the Cowboys had suffered through three consecutive 5-11 seasons.

There is added irony in that Jones was an unofficial emissary for the University of Arkansas, his alma mater, who first relayed to Blank the school's interest in Petrino.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.
Old 12-19-07, 11:42 AM   #2
atlantamoi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is good news after a wretched season. Might not work out, but it's worth a shot.
Old 12-19-07, 12:16 PM   #3
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if I'd want to be a GM under parcells. He doesn't play nice with others. He needs a subservient coach, like a Norv Turner, Wade Phillips. A dominant personality will not do well under parcells.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 12-19-07, 01:40 PM   #4
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Anything that gets off tv is fine with me - terrible commentator.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 12-19-07, 02:29 PM   #5
Matthew Ackerly
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think he's a pretty good analyst.

Emmit Smith is the one that needs to go. The guy cant go one sentence without stumbling over himself.
Old 12-19-07, 02:36 PM   #6
Brian Shannon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I agree, however, he seems to be a glutton for punishment. Why would he give up the tv gig, unless they were going to let him go anyway?
Old 12-19-07, 03:16 PM   #7
derekjet
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Parcells will be 80 years old before Atlanta's mess gets straightened out.

Parcells is so freakin' money hungry that he cant resist.
Old 12-19-07, 03:25 PM   #8
Chew
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Maybe he can take Bryant Gumble and Emmitt Smith with him?
Old 12-19-07, 03:28 PM   #9
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like he turned down the Falcons and is talking to the Dolphins.
Old 12-19-07, 03:32 PM   #10
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
How am I going to find out The Weasel's picks without him?!?

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 12-19-07, 03:33 PM   #11
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Looks like he turned down the Falcons and is talking to the Dolphins.
Yep, from ESPN:

Not So Fast: No Deal For Parcells

Bill Parcells and the Atlanta Falcons had a deal in principle Tuesday night. By Wednesday afternoon, it was gone. The team said Wednesday that Parcells "would not be signing a contract with us" and that Parcells is "considering a revised offer from the Miami Dolphins."
Old 12-19-07, 03:33 PM   #12
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Atlanta is out... and Miami is in?

Quote:
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Bill Parcells will not be joining the Atlanta Falcons as head of football operations.

Parcells turned down the position, Falcons owner Arthur Blank said Wednesday in a statement. Blank said the team had an agreement in principle with Parcells, but after he told the Falcons he was considering an offer from the Miami Dolphins, negotiations fell through.

Parcells was considering an offer to join the team's front office as vice president of football operations, a role that would put him in charge of finding the next coach for a team rocked by the suspension and imprisonment of Michael Vick and the sudden resignation of Bobby Petrino.
Old 12-19-07, 03:40 PM   #13
Matthew Ackerly
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, The falcons cant catch a break this year
Old 12-19-07, 03:41 PM   #14
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Frankly, Miami is a much, much better situation. They will get the #1 pick in the draft and Ronnie Brown back. They will be MUCH improved for 2008.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 12-19-07, 03:47 PM   #15
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Besides, all you have to do in Miami is win a single game to get your owner to cry like a baby and liken it to winning the Super Bowl.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 12-19-07, 05:12 PM   #16
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
actually, I think they just did. Bill is a great coach, but as head of football operations, being neither GM or coach, I'm not sure he would have helped them.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 12-19-07, 06:02 PM   #17
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
They're the Falcons they can't catch a break, EVER
Old 12-19-07, 06:13 PM   #18
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
They're the Falcons they can't catch a break, EVER

Unless a perfect kicking season by Gary Anderson is on the line
Old 12-19-07, 06:39 PM   #19
JumpCutz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000
Unless a perfect kicking season by Gary Anderson is on the line
I almost forgot about that.
Old 12-19-07, 06:45 PM   #20
LivingINClip
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It amazes me how fast these multi-million dollar deals can fall through. Just earlier today, I read on ESPN and here that he was going to the Falcons and now, hours later, he is going to the Dolphins.

Jesus.

Either way, it's a great move for the Dolphins. The "Big Tuna" has forgotten more about football than most will ever know.
Old 12-19-07, 06:45 PM   #21
twikoff
DVD Talk God

i guess atlanta wasnt a big enough challenge for bill
Old 12-19-07, 08:30 PM   #22
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not surprised, the President and CEO of Dolphins Enterprises was just on with the local sports radio guy last night and he said Cam Cameron is the coach and he will continue to be the coach, but they are going to give new people a chance to make decisions in the organization. The GM and some of the other people in the administration are hated by the fans. I hope Bill takes the position, as he'll have a supportive owner (I'm not sure what to make of the rumors about the team being available), some good young players, the #1 draft pick, and the expectation that they are still re-building.

They have NO qb though. Lemon is NOT the answer, and John Beck hasn't played much.

-p
Old 12-19-07, 11:15 PM   #23
vegasbaby
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Parcells is such a dog. He always weasles out at the last second on one deal when a better one comes along (remember Tampa?)
Old 12-20-07, 12:08 AM   #24
Mad Dawg
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbaby
Parcells is such a dog. He always weasles out at the last second on one deal when a better one comes along (remember Tampa?)
The rumor is that he had been talking to Miami, had an agreement in place with Atlanta, told Miami about the deal to see if they were still interested, and Blank cut off their deal to avoid a bidding war. Parcells played him, but Blank is supposedly the one who backed out. With good reason.
Old 12-20-07, 08:53 AM   #25
Obey The D
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbaby
Parcells is such a whore. He always weasles out at the last second on one deal when a better one comes along (remember Tampa?)
Fixed

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Sponsored Links