DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-26-07, 08:12 PM   #1
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Official PBA and Bowling Discussion Thread

This originally started as a thread on the tournament discussed below.

It turned out that there was no bowling thread, and this thread turned into a discussion after each of the tournaments. Hence, we have made this the official PBA and Bowling discussion thread.

I hope to get some links and some classic games that would be of interest for bowling enthusiasts (and even non-bowling enthusiasts) in the near future.

Original Message:

Well, even if you aren't a bowling fan, the final match in yesterdays tournament was unbelievable. Robert Smith was lofting the ball over the left gutter cap about 14 feet to avoid the front part of the lane. It worked and he won his 7th title and first in almost 3 years. Last year he had to sit out the whole season because of injury.

The quote of the day was when he said "The ball can't hook in the air."

They will re-air it next Sunday at 11:00 CST on ESPN Classic.

http://www.pba.com/news/feature.asp?ID=588

Edit: They are now on YouTube:
Part 1
Part 2

Last edited by Numes; 02-22-08 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 08:15 PM   #2
DVD Talk God

When does it air on ESPN?
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 11-26-07, 08:19 PM   #3
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
When does it air on ESPN?
PBA Bowling airs (unfortunately) live at 12:00 CST on Sundays right when football starts. I usually end up DVR'ing it and watching after the late afternoon football game.

The re-air the whole show on Mondays on ESPN Classic and then a cut down version at 11:00 CST on the next Sunday on ESPN Classic.

I'm sure it will be on YouTube soon enough (it isn't yet).
Old 11-26-07, 08:44 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it. Smith was definitely hurling the ball high and hard. It's too bad he didn't yell out idiotic things like some of the other guys after getting strikes.
Old 11-28-07, 07:33 AM   #5
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Earlier this year, in the title match, Eugene McCune left a 4-pin (I believe) late in the match and muttered "You've got to be fucking kidding me." Needless to say, he was mic'ed and the show was "live." The funny thing is, there is a 5-7 second delay before it is broadcast, but apparantly ESPN didn't find it necessary to bleep it out.
Old 11-28-07, 04:28 PM   #6
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recorded the match, I'll be watching it later tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numes
Earlier this year, in the title match, Eugene McCune left a 4-pin (I believe) late in the match and muttered "You've got to be fucking kidding me." Needless to say, he was mic'ed and the show was "live." The funny thing is, there is a 5-7 second delay before it is broadcast, but apparantly ESPN didn't find it necessary to bleep it out.
That happened with McCune just a few weeks ago in a live match. He yelled out "G**DAMMIT!". I think he had missed a single-pin spare. He did say before the match he was an angry bowler...I love all of the angry bowlers in my leagues, kicking the ball return and hitting the screen whenever they don't strike.
Old 11-28-07, 04:35 PM   #7
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*crickets chirping*
Old 11-28-07, 05:15 PM   #8
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
*crickets chirping*

Thanks for adding a quality response to this thread.
Old 11-28-07, 05:17 PM   #9
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSmoth
I recorded the match, I'll be watching it later tonight.

That happened with McCune just a few weeks ago in a live match. He yelled out "G**DAMMIT!". I think he had missed a single-pin spare. He did say before the match he was an angry bowler...I love all of the angry bowlers in my leagues, kicking the ball return and hitting the screen whenever they don't strike.
Yes. He did break out a few "G**DAMMIT!"s in that match too. I figured those are borderline, but was really surprised by the f-bomb and the fact that ESPN didn't bleep it out.

McCune is about as intense as they come. He absolutely hates losing.
Old 11-28-07, 05:32 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

What was wrong with the front part of the lane?
Old 11-29-07, 02:58 PM   #11
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777
What was wrong with the front part of the lane?
Depends on the bowlers style, but generally, the earlier your ball hits the lane, the earlier your ball reacts. This wouldn't affect a straight-shot bowler, and wouldn't mess with someone like Walter Ray too much, because he doesn't put much action on his ball. But Robert Smith has a high speed and rev rate, so if his ball was caught along the channel, it could skid down the lane without much of a break, or get thrown in and break past the headpin. I believe the condition they were playing on is front-loaded with about 40 feet of oil, which can be a pain in the ass to bowl on. Smith bypassed problems with the lane by simply lofting it over much of the oil. I know a guy that plays the same way, puts even more loft on the ball that Smith did in that match, and very rarely does he miss the pocket. I used to bowl that way too, but after breaking three balls, as well as a bad release(thumb stuck) that sent the ball flying down the lane next to mine(the right lane, and I'm a lefty), I switched to a traditional style, and only occasionally add loft in now.
Old 11-29-07, 03:14 PM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

These are up on youtube now -- search for "clr windy".

His rev-rate and spare ball speed is just insane. 30 mph spare ball!
Old 11-29-07, 04:27 PM   #13
DVD Talk God

That's some crazy shit.

I love watching PBA in the spring when there is nothing on Sundays. I never even think about it during football season.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 11-29-07, 04:43 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Thank god they stopped using those retarded gold pins. Oh and also thank god that they stopped trying so hard to be entertainers. Nothing's funnier than watching a bowling nerd try to pump up a crowd.
Old 11-30-07, 05:38 AM   #15
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
These are up on youtube now -- search for "clr windy".

His rev-rate and spare ball speed is just insane. 30 mph spare ball!
Yeah he has extreme arm power. I felt good when I was hitting 24mph, I can't imagine 30+...
Old 12-09-07, 01:40 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

So I turn on ESPN when I wake up this morning and they're bowling on some lanes setup in the middle of Miller Park in Milwaukee. Literally from about 40 feet past 1st base (front of the lane) to 30 feet short of 2nd base (end of the lane).

There seems to be just as many people there as there are at Marlins games, too.
Old 12-09-07, 02:08 PM   #17
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
So I turn on ESPN when I wake up this morning and they're bowling on some lanes setup in the middle of Miller Park in Milwaukee. Literally from about 40 feet past 1st base (front of the lane) to 30 feet short of 2nd base (end of the lane).

There seems to be just as many people there as there are at Marlins games, too.
The show you are watching is actually a replay of The Masters back in October (it was the first tournament of the season)

Today's tournament is actually tape delayed and will broadcast at 8:30 EST tonight on ESPN. It is a unique format where 8 players make the broadcast, the bottom 4 qualifiers play all at the same time to (in essence) be the #5 seed for a stepladder format. They HAVE done this format before, but not for probably 5 years. Should be pretty interesting.
Old 12-09-07, 02:09 PM   #18
DVD Talk God

I watched last week's GL Classic on ESPN Classic today - WRW Jr. had some pretty lucky pinfalls to win the semi.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 12-09-07, 02:14 PM   #19
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
I watched last week's GL Classic on ESPN Classic today - WRW Jr. had some pretty lucky pinfalls to win the semi.
The strike for the double in the 11th for WRW Jr. against Scroggins was incredibly lucky. That said, though, there is no excuse for Scroggins to miss that single-pin spare. It would have been a moot point. In the finals WRW just put the smack down on Loschetter, it wasn't even a match.
Old 12-09-07, 02:15 PM   #20
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI - I posted the links to YouTube for the Windy City Classic in the first post.
Old 01-27-08, 01:06 PM   #21
DVD Talk God

Amazing title match in the Tournament of Champions today. Chris Barnes had a 50+ pin lead going into the 7th frame and ended up losing by a single pin. He left the 9th open after missing on a 1-pin spare pickup attempt and his opponent rolled 5 straight strikes + a 9 count in the 7th through 10th frames.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-27-08, 01:21 PM   #22
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Amazing title match in the Tournament of Champions today. Chris Barnes had a 50+ pin lead going into the 7th frame and ended up losing by a single pin. He left the 9th open after missing on a 1-pin spare pickup attempt and his opponent rolled 5 straight strikes + a 9 count in the 7th through 10th frames.
Oh man. Chris Barnes has had some of the biggest meltdowns I've ever seen. Yes, he's won 8 titles, but he could have more than double that. Unbelievable.

I was rooting for Pete Weber, but I was happy to see Michael Haugen Jr. win today. Wow wow wow.
Old 01-27-08, 01:29 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Crazy choke by Barnes in the 9th. I was hoping to see a tie, but you knew he wasn't going to recover with a strike.
Old 01-27-08, 01:38 PM   #24
DVD Talk God

How do they break a tie anyway? 1-ball roll? 1-frame?

I was rooting for PDW too in the semis. I thought he was going to pull it off.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-27-08, 01:47 PM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
How do they break a tie anyway? 1-ball roll? 1-frame?

I was rooting for PDW too in the semis. I thought he was going to pull it off.
It's a sudden death one ball roll off.