DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-22-09, 01:18 PM   #126
DVD Talk God

Re: Official PBA and Bowling Discussion Thread

Pete's in huge trouble now.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 03-01-09, 11:51 AM   #127
DVD Talk God

Another classic Chris Barnes choke-job today in R1. Up 49 pins through 6 (he had rolled 6 strikes) and he ends up losing by 19.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-01-09, 12:28 PM   #128
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Pete's in huge trouble now.
From last week, but it works now too.
Old 03-01-09, 12:33 PM   #129
DVD Talk God

It's been good to see Pete getting back to TV finals of late, but he's been lousy.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-02-09, 12:28 PM   #130
DVD Talk Hero

I was rooting for the winless guy yesterday. Shame he couldn't win -- he was dialed in leading up to the title match but then just lost his line. Good run by him though.

Malott wins again. Blech.
Old 03-02-09, 05:01 PM   #131
DVD Talk God

Yeah, he's a douche, but you gotta love him calling out Wilbon and challenging him on national televsion. "Shoe it up, Wilbon!"
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 03-02-09 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-02-09, 06:07 PM   #132
DVD Talk Limited Edition

57 pins
Old 03-02-09, 06:08 PM   #133
DVD Talk Hero

The best part about watching Barnes roll the first 6 yesterday was that you knew he was going to GACK it up. How he ever won 10 titles is amazing because the last couple years he's been nothing but a choke artist.
Old 03-08-09, 11:23 AM   #134
DVD Talk God

Interesting format today. The Eliminator - the 4 finalists bowl a game and the lowest is eliminated; then remaining 3 bowl and lowest is eliminated. Then the final-2. Different patterns on the 2 lanes: Viper and Scorpion.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-08-09, 01:39 PM   #135
DVD Talk God

Koiv really shit the bed in the final match. He didn't even give Barnes an opportunity to choke.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-21-09, 02:35 PM   #136
DVD Talk God

Programming Note: Michael Wilbon vs. Wes Malott on PBA King of Bowling Wednesday April 22 on ESPN2 from 9-10 pm. If you do a google search, it's also on espn.com.

I assume this will involve a handicap. Don't know if Malott will be using the plastic ball.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-21-09, 04:18 PM   #137
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Programming Note: Michael Wilbon vs. Wes Malott on PBA King of Bowling Wednesday April 22 on ESPN2 from 9-10 pm. If you do a google search, it's also on espn.com.

I assume this will involve a handicap. Don't know if Malott will be using the plastic ball.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4077430

Spoiler:

Wilbon 256 (including 57 on the handicap)
Malott 248 (rolling a plastic ball)

Great match. Wilbon had a hambone. Came down to the final frame. Wilbon needed a mark in the 10th to win and picked up a spare to clinch it. 199 without the handicap is pretty impressive, particularly for a straight roller and in front of a crowd and national television.

By virtue of the win, Wilbon earns an exemption for next year's PBA Tour.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-03-09, 10:39 AM   #138
DVD Talk God

saw this video and was amazed by it.

John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 10-03-09, 10:40 AM   #139
DVD Talk God

Yeah - trick shot bowling is pretty cool. I've seen that (or someone else do that) shot before.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-03-09, 12:40 PM   #140
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love to watch trick shots, and Barnes choke jobs.
I was going to bring this thread up the other night, and it slipped my mind. In league the other night I had one of the best/worst nights in a long time. The first game I was nailing the pocket, but it was all or nothing, because if I didn't strike I had nasty breaks. Ended up with a terrible 156. The third game started strong but my arm quickly died on me. I had bowled 6 practice games before league, which is more total games than I've bowled in the last 5 months. That ended up an even worse 144. The highlight of the night was the 296 I rolled in the second game. I haven't worked off of 11 strikes in a while, and my nervousness cost me, as I went about 3 boards wide of target. Great game that netted me an awful 596 series .
Old 01-24-10, 09:07 AM   #141
DVD Talk God

Will be able to watch bowling on Sundays now that football is out of the way.

And it's potentially a history-making TV finals today:

Quote:
Kelly Kulick on Path to Make Sports History by Qualifying Second For PBA Tournament of Champions Finals
by Jerry Schneider January 22, 2010 17:25

Rallying in dramatic form in the final match play round, Kelly Kulick of Union, N.J., moved a step closer in her quest to become the first woman to win a Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour tournament Friday by qualifying in the No. 2 position for the stepladder finals of the 45th PBA Tournament of Champions at Red Rock Lanes.

Going into the final round in sixth position and after starting with games of 174 and 172, Kulick came back with games of 223, 279, 277, 222, 236 and 267 (231.2 average) to make the final four for Sunday’s stepladder finals which will be televised live on ESPN at 1 p.m. Eastern (10 a.m. Pacific).

Kulick finished with an 11,265 48-game total and had an overall match play record of 14-9-1. She finished 57 pins behind tournament leader Chris Barnes of Double Oak, Texas.

“Actually being in a position where I had to work my way back into the top four took pressure off of me,” said the 32-year-old Kulick. “I’ve been in this situation many times before and I would rather fight to get there because for me there’s less pressure than being on top.”

Kulick earned a berth in the Tournament of Champions, by winning the PBA Women’s World Championship, the first PBA women’s major tournament.

After the first two games in the final block, Kulick had to change to another ball to get a better ball reaction on the lanes.

“I had those two bad games to start but I still wasn’t too worried because there was a long way to go in the block,” she added. “I went to another ball and started watching how the other guys were playing the lanes and it was like a strikefest for me.”

As one of four PBA Tour major tournaments, the Tournament of Champions is considered PBA’s signature event.

Kulick is not a stranger to performing well in major tournaments. In women’s professional competition she won the 2007 United States Bowling Congress Queens and the 2003 U.S. Women’s Open in addition to winning the PBA Women’s World Championship.

In 2006, Kulick became the first woman to earn an exemption on the PBA Tour by finishing sixth in the PBA Tour Trials. Her best finish in the 2006-07 season was 22nd which she accomplished twice. The previous high finish by a woman in a PBA Tour event was second by Liz Johnson of Cheektowaga, N.Y., in 2005.

Barnes, the 2007-08 PBA Player of the Year and 2006 Tournament of Champions winner, is seeded into the championship match where he will bowl one game for the title.

“The lanes were a lot different for me in that block and I had to work a lot harder to score as well as I did,” Barnes said, “but, I’m in the position I want to be and that’s bowling one game for the title.”

Sunday’s first match will be between No. 3 qualifier Mika Koivuniemi of Hartland, Mich. and No. 4 qualifier Rhino Page of Dade City, Fla.

Koivuniemi, a native of Finland, is an eight-time titlist and the winner of two majors who will be trying for his first Tournament of Champions win. Page, a three-time PBA Tour titlist, who suffered a heartbreaking championship match loss last season in the Tournament of Champions, will also be trying for his first Tournament of Champions win.

PBA TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS
Red Rock Lanes, Las Vegas, Nev.
Jan. 22, 2010

Final Round (after 48 games, including match play records and bonus pins)

Top four advance to Sunday’s stepladder finals at 1 p.m. Eastern
1, Chris Barnes, Double Oak, Texas, 19-5, 11,322
2, Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J., 14-9-1, 11,265
3, Mika Koivuniemi, Hartland, Mich., 16-8, 11,194
4, Rhino Page, Dade City, Fla., 10-14, 11,175
5, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., 13-11, 11,174, $5,000
6, Tony Reyes, San Bruno, Calif., 13-11, 11,156, $4,600
7, Wes Malott, Pflugerville, Texas, 14-10, 11,140, $4,200
8, Tommy Jones, Simpsonville, S.C., 12-12, 11,105, $4,000
9, Mike Fagan, Patchogue, N.Y., 11-13, 11,032, $3,800
10, Mark Williams, Beaumont, Texas, 13-10-1, 10,917, $3,600
That's certainly interesting. Pissed that PDW just missed out.

Bought tickets a few days ago for the PBA event in Baltimore on April 4. Can't wait for that.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-24-10, 09:36 AM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

Do the guys in the PBA whine as much as golfers about possibly getting beat by a woman?
Old 01-24-10, 10:59 AM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Do the guys in the PBA whine as much as golfers about possibly getting beat by a woman?
Strength, along with accuracy and consistency, seems to be a bigger component of golf than bowling. With the advancement of bowling balls that can slide and grip the lanes to widen the pocket for strikes there seems to be a leveling of the playing field between men and women bowlers. Strength is still an important factor though due to the amount of games bowled in a tournament.

I bowled a couple of lackluster games last Sunday as part of a local credit union fundraiser. The sliding house ball left me several splits but my form was rusty as hell too.
Old 01-24-10, 12:19 PM   #144
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
The way Rhino and Mika are bowling in match 1, you'd think neither wants to risk losing to her.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-24-10, 12:25 PM   #145
DVD Talk God

Great close by Mika for a 255. Bring on the broad!
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-24-10, 12:51 PM   #146
DVD Talk God

Yikes on the split.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-24-10, 12:56 PM   #147
DVD Talk God

Mika putting the pressure on.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-24-10, 12:58 PM   #148
DVD Talk God

Hambone with Onions. Wow.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-24-10, 12:58 PM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

Good job Kelly!

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 01-24-10, 01:18 PM   #150
DVD Talk God

Barnes is really screwing the pooch in the final match.
- Josh Hinkle