DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-02-08, 10:02 PM   #76
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
They start too early. They need to wait until NFL season is over with these Sunday finals.
They definitely need to do something. However, it's a little tough to start a season of any sport in January. I don't really have any good suggestions. Start the telecasts earlier? (that might be a killer for the west coast), have the finals on Tuesday??

Everything used to be on Saturday, but I would imagine that College Football may be an equal killer as NFL on Sunday.
Old 10-03-08, 06:54 AM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

Started my league yesterday and got a 200 with no practice (I'm a crappy straight bowler, so I am very very happy with that, and mostly happy because in my second 2 games I only left 1 open and it was a split that I barely missed)
Old 10-03-08, 07:28 AM   #78
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numes View Post
They definitely need to do something. However, it's a little tough to start a season of any sport in January. I don't really have any good suggestions. Start the telecasts earlier? (that might be a killer for the west coast), have the finals on Tuesday??

Everything used to be on Saturday, but I would imagine that College Football may be an equal killer as NFL on Sunday.

My bowling league starts play in January.

I'd watch them if they started at 11:30 am Sunday. That means they end right before 1 pm kickoff.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 10-15-08, 07:05 AM   #79
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They are doing some interesting things this year for the 50th anniversary of the PBA. From http://www.pba.com/news/feature.asp?ID=841:
Quote:
NEW FORMATS FOR NEW ERA
Seattle, WA - 8/4/2008

For its 50th Anniversary season, the PBA Tour has announced a unique schedule of championship events on ESPN that will feature formats built to celebrate the game and test all facets of the world’s greatest players.

The schedule will be highlighted by the four distinct major championships, a made-for-TV celebrity doubles event, the return of the PBA Women’s Series, a Mixed Doubles Championship and special Golden Anniversary Championship that will find senior pros battling on ESPN for the first time in seven years. The season will also crown champions on each of the PBA Tour’s six challenging lane oil patterns. Introduced to the Tour this upcoming season will be mixed pattern events, featuring multiple combinations of the PBA patterns. Finally, revolutionary events will crown Champions in Match Play, Marathon, Ultimate Scoring, Plastic Ball and Eliminator formats.

“This season is built for excitement and for the fans,” said PBA Tour Commissioner Fred Schreyer. “A lot of arguments will be settled and each week will have its own distinct, educational and compelling storyline.”

In addition to the regular season schedule and Player of the Year race, there will be three distinct “swings” during the season --- Grand Slam, Extreme Swing and Versatility Swing --- with separate points standings kept.
If you follow the link, details on each tournament are outlined. Some interesting notes:
1. There will be a combo exempt and seniors mixed tournament. The details are a little confusing (Nov 9th).
2. Ultimate Scoring Championship, once again details are a little confusing.
3. It looks like most of the tournament finals are stepladder.
4. A mixed doubles championship
5. Plastic Ball Championship!
6. Marathon Championship - 6 oil patterns and the top seed gets to choose the oil pattern for the finals
7. Eliminator Championship (Where 4 players play at once and the lowest is eliminated, etc...) they brought that back last year, I think. It's been a few years since they've done that.
8. Match Play championship - One and done.
9. New Sponsor - Lumber Liquidators (not Denny's)

One thing I noticed is there are 2-3 recorded shows. I have never liked recorded shows because they cut some of the action and if you go to the website, you will know the winner ahead of time (some of the recorded shows are delayed by weeks). Oh well, we'll see how it goes. I'm most intrigued by the plastic ball championship.

Last edited by Numes; 10-15-08 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-27-08, 06:22 PM   #80
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow. The opening event of the PBA season was really really solid.

First off, I love all the extra stuff they are doing for the 50th anniversary. I think it's excellent that they have Bo Burton doing some of the top 50 player stuff. I hope they do the mini-interview with him every tournament.

Second, Rob Stone has really come along in his announcing duties. I was one of the biggest Rob Stone haters at the beginning of last year, but he has really taken it upon himself to learn about the game and he is using the terminology correctly (well, let's not get into the Hambone for now.) He gets a little too excited sometimes, but it's ok once or twice in a match.

Third, Norm Duke winning 3 majors in a row. Wow... Just wow. It's never happened before. I really can't see it happening again, I mean it is just so difficult now with all the competition. I was kind of rooting for Sean Rash, but I'll take Norm. I have never seen two players look so nervous and out of it in that first match (Norm/Rash). I've never seen anyone take that many shot clock violations either. I can't believe that show ended (almost) on time.

Are they bringing back the interviews after the matches? Please bring those back! It's cool to have the interviews after they win. It's always a little odd just to end the show after someone wins. It's nice to have a denouement, if you will.

I know Chris Barnes won POY last year, but he just seems to continue to choke. He choked in the celebrity tournament and choked in this tournament. He only beat Jaros because he didn't have a strike until the 7th or 8th frame.

Finally, if anyone is interested in Fantasy Bowling (yes, you heard me,) check out:
http://www.pbafantasygame.com/
If anyone wants to be in my league, PM me and I'll give you the info. I don't think the fantasy points start until this weeks tournament, but you have to pick your players by Wednesday morning this week.

Edit: Are the games in HD now? I recorded off the standard channel because I assumed it wasn't in HD.

Last edited by Numes; 10-27-08 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-27-08, 09:08 PM   #81
DVD Talk Hero

any place online to watch the replay streaming? I've been overseas the last two weeks.
Old 10-27-08, 09:17 PM   #82
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
any place online to watch the replay streaming? I've been overseas the last two weeks.
I haven't verified all the parts are there, but it looks to be up on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

It's kind of funny, because the previous season's world Championship was this year, but in the spring, so you'll have to pick the right videos.
Old 10-28-08, 07:43 PM   #83
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Upcoming ESPN Classic highlights

10/31/08 11-12 Central - 1994 Hilton Hotels Classic.
Spoiler:
Butch Soper's 300 game

11/4/08 11-12 Central - 1994 Greater Harrisburg Open
Spoiler:
Randy Pedersen's 10th win. The first time his wife was at a tournament he won.
Old 10-31-08, 01:03 PM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Bowler dies moments after first perfect game
62-year-old Michigan man collapses as he's congratulated by teammates

AP
Fri., Oct. 31, 2008

RAVENNA, Mich. - A Michigan man who bowled his first perfect game immediately collapsed in the bowling alley and died.

Don Doane belonged to the same team at a bowling alley for 45 years.

On Oct. 16 at Ravenna Bowl, he scored a perfect 300.

As he was being congratulated by his teammates, local television reports said Doane collapsed on the floor.

The 62-year-old was taken to a local hospital but could not be saved. A medical examiner later determined that a heart attack killed Doane.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27472567/

He certainly went out on top. I doubt his 300 ring will get to him in time for burial.

I know when I bowled my high game of 266 in the second game I was pretty crappy for the third game. This was at the university bowling alley -- there no fancy electronic scoring so my teammates waited until I completed the game to add up the score. I guess it is best to bowl well when you are younger to better handle the exhilaration.
Old 10-31-08, 01:07 PM   #85
DVD Talk God

Damn. Not even a couple minutes to savor it.

Do they still show previous week's tournament at noon Sundays on ESPN Classic?
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-31-08, 01:18 PM   #86
DVD Talk Hero

I had my 2nd highest league game ever Wednesday night (276, highest was 290 last year). 2 strikes, 9-spare, 8 strikes, 7 count. The 9-spare was a solid 9-pin. I'd like to say it would have been a 297 had it not been for that but I probably would have shit myself somewhere around the 9th frame like I have in the past.

Finished with a 696 (220-276-200) after I couldn't carry a damn thing in the 3rd game.
Old 10-31-08, 01:32 PM   #87
DVD Talk Legend

A bowling instructor was fond of saying, "Roll nine you get nine."

Tough break El Scorcho -- good games nonetheless!
Old 10-31-08, 07:26 PM   #88
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Finished with a 696 (220-276-200) after I couldn't carry a damn thing in the 3rd game.
That's still a nice series. I know I once started out a game with 6 stikes.. the nerves do tend to hit you.
Old 11-01-08, 11:26 AM   #89
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Do they still show previous week's tournament at noon Sundays on ESPN Classic?
No, actually they show it on Monday (the day after) on ESPN classic. It is the same as they did last year. I'm not sure what they did in the previous years.
Old 11-01-08, 11:29 AM   #90
DVD Talk God

I'm pretty sure they re-aired them (cut down to 60 minutes) on Classic the next Sunday at noon (to lead into the 1 pm live match), but 1 pm Monday works - I can record it.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 11-16-08, 11:21 AM   #91
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Upcoming ESPN Classic highlights

*****SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO MAY GET THIS VIA E-MAIL*****
11/22/08 11:00-12:00 Central - 1996 Columbia 300 Open
Spoiler:
C.K. Moore's 300 game - first time ever on TV.

11/23/08 11:00-12:00 Central - 1996 Track Synergy Open
Spoiler:
Walter Ray Williams Jr. needs to roll 3 strikes in the 10th to beat Brian LeClair.

11/25/08 11:00-12:00 Central - 1996 Bayer/Brunswick Touring Players Championship
Spoiler:
An unbelievable and exciting final round. Mike Aulby need a double in the 10th to win and on the second strike (I think) he almost had the 7-10 split before the messenger knocked the 10 pin AND the 7 pin down.
Old 12-11-08, 01:50 AM   #92
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I had my 2nd highest league game ever Wednesday night (276, highest was 290 last year). 2 strikes, 9-spare, 8 strikes, 7 count. The 9-spare was a solid 9-pin. I'd like to say it would have been a 297 had it not been for that but I probably would have shit myself somewhere around the 9th frame like I have in the past.

I finally closed out a good series this week!

223-244-258 for a 725.. my highest league series ever. I had the final 6 for the 244 and the first 7 for the 258. Wish I could put them all into one game!

not bad for someone who bowls 3 games a week and hasn't bowled a practice game in probably 15 years
Old 12-15-08, 08:57 AM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

I think if I ever rolled a 700 series I would probably have a heart attack like the fellow in Michigan.

El Scorcho
Old 01-11-09, 12:45 PM   #94
DVD Talk God

Re: Official PBA and Bowling Discussion Thread

A 236 usually looks very good, but the classic Chris Barnes meltdown, leaving the 9th open by missing the 7-pin on the spare attempt.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-11-09, 01:10 PM   #95
DVD Talk God

Patrick Allen on fire today. 2 straight 260+ games. Final match vs. WRW Jr. should be good.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-11-09, 01:37 PM   #96
DVD Talk God

1 more strike by WRW to win.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-11-09, 01:37 PM   #97
DVD Talk God

OMG.

WRW leaves the 8-10 split and loses.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-16-09, 12:10 PM   #98
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't realize that pros ever left the 8-10 split. I thought only players like me did it when we forget to get any finger lift in the ball.

(btw I've picked that up twice in the last 2 years by bouncing the 10-pin out, still waiting to pick up the 7-10 though -- only major split I've never picked up)
Old 01-18-09, 01:28 PM   #99
DVD Talk God

It's good to be Wes Malott today.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-25-09, 01:00 PM   #100
DVD Talk God

OMG. What a terrible result for Rhino on his 2nd roll in the 10th of the ToC title match. He needed X9/ to win. Got the strike and then only gets 4 on the 2nd roll.

Loses 267-263 to Patrick Allen. Great match. Clutch rolling by Allen at the end to put the pressure on.
- Josh Hinkle