DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-23-08, 03:06 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopdido
Just don't one of those guys that bitch and moan about the shot pattern. Or if you have legitimate complaints about it let management know and give them suggestions. There's nothing worse than those guys that just say the shot sucks, but don't give any reasons why. There isn't much the center can do about it if they don't know what's supposedly wrong with the pattern.
Nah, nothing wrong with the pattern. Some nights you just can't catch a break. The pattern is your basic elementary league pattern. Bumper bowling for adults, really. But Christ it's frustrating when you can't carry a damn thing cuz you know how easy the shot is.
Old 02-24-08, 11:34 AM   #52
DVD Talk God

Duke vs. WRWJr should be interesting.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 02-24-08, 11:54 AM   #53
DVD Talk God

That's the worst score I've ever seen rolled in a PBA TV event.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 02-24-08, 12:14 PM   #54
DVD Talk God

Good job with the audio - it sounds like Norm is about to die out there.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 02-24-08, 12:55 PM   #55
DVD Talk God

Nice job, Duke. Gutty effort.

I don't think I had ever seen a TV game with so many splits.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 02-24-08, 01:07 PM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

God I can't stand Ryan Shafer. Glad Duke won.
Old 02-24-08, 11:40 PM   #57
DVD Talk Special Edition

Low scoring matches, pretty uneventful. Definitely expected better from WRWJ, but sometimes terrible games just happen(boy do I know this, always seem to ruin my best series').
I thought Duke was going to croak when he suddenly stopped his approach, he sounded pretty bad.
The splits were abundant.
Old 02-24-08, 11:52 PM   #58
DVD Talk Hero

I actually prefer low scoring matches. More emphasis on shot-making and accuracy/speed control is much better than watching 2 guys with grooves to the pocket and seeing who carries better.

What I hate is the bracket format for the final show (thus only giving you 3 games of action) instead of the 4-game stepladder format.
Old 02-25-08, 07:03 PM   #59
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow. Those matchups had such huge potential for an exciting, electric show, yet it turned out to be one of the most boring tournaments I've seen!

No one got on a roll, no real back and forth matches, just plain boring.

I was kind of rooting for the Australian guy, he seemed like a character. Boy he had some crazy splits that you never see on TV.

Personally, I wasn't too fond of Shafer either, but after reading about some of the stuff that happened between him and Duke, I was rooting for him. He also frequents the PBA message boards (which I don't really go to very often because that forum is a freakin' mess) and seems like a really nice guy.

Nonetheless, the true definition of "gutty" performance. Why on earth would they mic him? I really want to hear someone blow their nose all day, nice.

Did anyone catch after the Austrial guy said "oh, that's got to hook a yard" Rob Stone said "oh, he's pulling out the metric system"

Also, in Norm's interview at the end, it almost sounded like he said "shit", but I think he was trying to say something else and came out weird.
Old 02-26-08, 12:04 AM   #60
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
I actually prefer low scoring matches. More emphasis on shot-making and accuracy/speed control is much better than watching 2 guys with grooves to the pocket and seeing who carries better.
I don't care for the strike runs unless both players are doing it, because then it's cool to see who will break first, or if they'll both push for 300. You can have a good low-scoring match(170's-190's) with good shot-making, but seeing games in the 150's is usually not exciting, because that means they're getting a lot of opens and getting pissy on TV.
Of course, the Australian bowled pretty bad(which is okay, first time on television), but it was fun to watch him because he was enjoying it so much. I hope to see him on a show again.
The good thing about seeing the pros struggle on these patterns is that it keeps me working harder on my game, knowing how much of a difference there is from those patterns to the house patterns I bowl on(which aren't that easy in comparison to others I've been to). I plan on going to some PBA Regionals next year, and I know I'll probably look ridiculous out there the first time around. I'd join one of the PBA Experience leagues here, but due to my job I can't do it.
Old 03-02-08, 03:15 PM   #61
DVD Talk God

Entertaining matches today in the Don Johnson Classic. You had to know that Barnes would make it interesting in the end. His title game opponent certainly had an interesting style.

Loved the flashback to the 1970 Firestone where Don Johnson shot a 299 in the title match.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-04-08, 12:21 PM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

Gotta love Barnes continually shitting the bed in the last 3 frames of a title match every time he's on. He got away with it in both matches, this time. Surprised Mike missed that 3-10 conversion by that much. He wasn't even close (for a pro).

The rookie was fun to watch. Very impressive how he has to alter his footwork in order to stand in front of the ball return when on the right lane.

All in all, I really like when Barnes is on the telecast. His form looks so pure and smooth. Too bad he turns into a headcase under pressure.
Old 03-04-08, 09:08 PM   #63
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still haven't watched the Don Johnson matches yet(later tonight), but I recorded a match on ESPN Classic, the 1999 Albuquerque Open. Chris Barnes, in his second year on the tour(though the announcers call him "Rookie"), had a major blowout in the final round, losing 228-161. Numerous opens and splits from Barnes, as well as whining and stomping his feet. 9 years later, not much has changed.
Old 03-04-08, 09:35 PM   #64
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Entertaining matches today in the Don Johnson Classic. You had to know that Barnes would make it interesting in the end. His title game opponent certainly had an interesting style.

Loved the flashback to the 1970 Firestone where Don Johnson shot a 299 in the title match.
Simard had some horrible breaks in the final match. The dead-pocket 7-10 split in the 1st frame was ridiculous. Then the two ringing 10's later in the match (forget which frames). Barnes once again choked at the end and this time got lucky and didn't pay for it. At first, I wasn't sure who to root for, but I was definitely rooting for Simard in the final.

It's amazing. This year almost none of the tournaments have gone the way I would want them to go if I got to choose. Ultimately disappointing season. I hope WRWJ comes back and takes the POY back from Barnes.

As for the '70 Firestone. They HAVE played it on ESPN Classic (I know since I've seen it). It's pretty damned exciting tournament. Mike Durbin was the 2nd seed, and he was almost unrecognizable from his announcing days in the 80's / 90's. Dick Ritger had a 249 in that final match and Jim Stefanich was in the finals too. That tournament was before my time, so it was good to see some of the "classic" bowlers from that era. ESPN Classic has been doing a '93-'99+ run for the past few months, I hope they go back and get some of the Earl Anthony/Mark Roth era finals, I have seen hardly any of those.
Old 03-16-08, 11:57 AM   #65
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Starting at 12:00 CST today is the a "300 game marathon" on ESPN classic. There are 7 shows in a row.

If one of them is the 1996 Flagship Open (I'm not sure), I would HIGHLY suggest watching it. It is, by far, the most amazing tournament ever... Simply unbelievable.

P.S. I am so happy that Rhino Page won last week. I thought Scroggins was going to squeak by in that first match, and the 7-10 split Page got in the championship match was so unlucky. Fortunately he was still able to pull it off.
Old 03-16-08, 07:46 PM   #66
DVD Talk Hero

Quick drive by post to brag that, for the 2nd time in my life (both in the last year), I picked up the 8-10 split. Threw it as hard as I could and hit the 10-pin square and it bounced back up onto the deck to take out the 8. Did it in the 10th frame, too (and shot 235 for the game)!

Pretty cool feeling. It's hard to bounce a 7 or 10 pin out.
Old 03-30-08, 01:54 PM   #67
DVD Talk God

Great semifinal match going in the US Open now.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-30-08, 01:56 PM   #68
DVD Talk God

Ouch - nasty split in the 10th.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-30-08, 01:57 PM   #69
DVD Talk God

Wow - great convertion.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-30-08, 01:58 PM   #70
DVD Talk God

The Duke is on fire today. 7 strikes in a row at one point.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-30-08, 02:27 PM   #71
DVD Talk God

Onions!
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-30-08, 02:28 PM   #72
DVD Talk God

That was a fun final match. Hats off to The Duke.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-09-08, 05:56 PM   #73
DVD Talk God

This is my bowling problem. I'm not blind.
http://www.kcci.com/sports/16201286/detail.html
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-02-08, 09:49 PM   #74
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The new season starts in a few weeks. Here is the schedule:
http://www.pba.com/schedule/schedule.asp?season=56

Against all I believed in at the beginning of last year, Rob Stone actually grew on me by the end of the season. Hopefully him and Randy don't disappoint this year.

I'll be rooting hard for Rhino Page this year. He looked so good last year, he should have won more than 1 title last year. I'm really pulling for PDW to win a title this year. He just had shitty championship round appearances last year.

On the lower echelon, it would be an awesome story of Chris Warren could pull off something off this year. I also really liked Ken Simard in his one championship round appearance last year. I'd also like to see Ryan Shafer get back into the spotlight this year... Maybe a few McCune f-bombs and Robert Smith 15 foot lofts to round things out

I'll also try to do a better job of posting some of the great ESPN classic games that are upcoming. I have had problems in the past with the TV schedule online, but I will make an effort to post some advance notices of some of the memorable tournaments. The 1996 Flagship Open is one of the most amazing sporting events of all time. I hope they show it again soon, my DVD died about a month ago and I lost my recording of it.

Last edited by Numes; 10-02-08 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-02-08, 09:51 PM   #75
DVD Talk God

They start too early. They need to wait until NFL season is over with these Sunday finals.
- Josh Hinkle