DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-27-08, 04:37 PM   #26
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
How do they break a tie anyway? 1-ball roll? 1-frame?

I was rooting for PDW too in the semis. I thought he was going to pull it off.
As starman9000 said, it is a sudden death 1-ball roll off. The higher seed chooses both lane and order. They keep the same order, but switch lanes if there is a tie.

The most famous tie in the championship game (there haven't been many) that I have seen is the 2002 Cambridge Credit Classic where Norm Duke won on a Triple roll-off against Dave Traber.

It used to be that they would roll a 9th and 10th frame from scratch, and whoever had the high score after that would win the tie.

In any non-bracket qualifying, a tie is simply a tie. So, in match play, there is a 30 pin bonus for winning the game, so each player would get a 15 pin bonus.

There have been a few times where both players in a match play qualifying game rolled a 300.

I'm sure that was WAAY more information than you wanted
Old 02-03-08, 02:41 PM   #27
DVD Talk God

Joe Chicone might have had a bigger choke today in the Doubles Classic. He needed X9/ in the 10th to win. Got the strike. Got 8 on the 2nd roll leaving the 2-5, so he needed to pick up the spare to force a tie. He totally wiffed to the left.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 02-17-08, 11:52 AM   #28
DVD Talk God

Go PDW! Already saw a classic chop reaction on the hambone.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 02-17-08, 12:10 PM   #29
DVD Talk God

Commercial break fucked up the potential perfect games in Match #2.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 02-17-08, 12:14 PM   #30
DVD Talk God

Oh no Pete.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 02-17-08, 03:20 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah he really gagged his match away there at the end
Old 02-17-08, 04:35 PM   #32
DVD Talk Special Edition

Big ouch for Pete. He got lucky with that first spare(pin fell keeping him from attempting a conversion), but the second time not so much...Great match, but the commercial break killed the flow.
Old 02-19-08, 08:29 AM   #33
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Joe Chicone might have had a bigger choke today in the Doubles Classic. He needed X9/ in the 10th to win. Got the strike. Got 8 on the 2nd roll leaving the 2-5, so he needed to pick up the spare to force a tie. He totally wiffed to the left.
I have NEVER seen a whiff like that, ever. He didn't even hit one of them. Unbelievable. It was kind of crazy because he was actually clutch at the end of the previous game and had a strike before that. Unbelievable. I was rooting for him and his partner.

Did you see his partner say "This is the biggest shot of your life" before his first shot? Whoops!
Old 02-19-08, 08:32 AM   #34
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sunday's match was a big let down.

If I had to choose how I wanted it to go, here were my choices:
1. PDW in an awesome match against WRWJ, PDW beats WRWJ and beats Scroggins.
2. Rhino Page wins (he really deserves a win, he's unbeleivable)
3. WRWJ win
4. Billy Oatman win.
99. Mike Scroggins win.

I can't stand Scroggins. Boo!

A Weber-Williams Jr. match would have been amazing. Walter has owned him for quite a while, but they have always been entertaining matches.
Old 02-19-08, 12:08 PM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

I wanted Rhino Page to win. Scroggins should never be allowed on TV. What an ugly son of a bitch and with no personality to boot.

When is this hambone bullshit going to die out? Christ almighty.
Old 02-19-08, 12:21 PM   #36
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
I wanted Rhino Page to win. Scroggins should never be allowed on TV. What an ugly son of a bitch and with no personality to boot.

Well, the hambone is going to be around for a while now. Did you hear PDW say "This ones for you, Rob, give me a hambone (while doing the chop)"

That probably wasn't the exact quote, but up until now, I wasn't sure if the players hated/liked the hambone. With PDW endorsing/recognizing it, I can't see it going away.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Rob Stone has actually grown on me. I was one who HATED him for his first 6-7 telecasts. I mean despised. It seems, though, after break he actually tried to get a better handle on bowling, it's terminology, and stopped acting so juivenile. I still don't like the hambone, though, it's pretty silly.

I'm thinking about getting this thread title changed to "The Official PBA Bowling Thread" or something instead of what it is now. Do I just e-mail a mod or post it in the feedback forum?
Old 02-19-08, 12:28 PM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

You can email a sports mod or you can click on the red triangular symbol in the bottom left of each post (report a post) and state your reason why you'd like it changed. Either should work.

As for the broadcasting team, I'll say that I think Randy Pedersen adds a lot of analysis and insight. Stone still annoys the shit out of me, though. Of course, he's light years ahead of Mike Durbin.

Nobody will ever match up to Burton Jr. and Schenkel though.

On another note, I'd like to see a little more production value out of the entire ESPN team, though. They make casual references on-air to the Ebonite tracker software (mentioning speed, for instance) but it'd be nice to see some graphics. I'd like to see ball path (i.e., what board they're targeting & standing on) visuals as well.
Old 02-19-08, 12:36 PM   #38
DVD Talk God

We need HD coverage is what we need from ESPN.

And I don't want to see the Hambone jargon go away. Better than '4-bagger.'
- Josh Hinkle
Old 02-19-08, 12:46 PM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

The only term I approve of so far is "dropping a nickel" for 5 in a row.
Old 02-19-08, 12:59 PM   #40
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
The only term I approve of so far is "dropping a nickel" for 5 in a row.
As long as they don't go to "dropping a deuce" for a double.

(yes, the smilie was uncalled for)
Old 02-20-08, 07:49 PM   #41
DVD Talk God

Has anybody seen this documentary on the re-emergence of the PBA Tour this decade on HDNET: "A League of Ordinary Gentlemen." Looks like they filmed it in 2004. It's really good. It's airing right now.

If you happen to catch this post tonight, there are re-airings at 11 pm and 2 am.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 02-20-08, 08:31 PM   #42
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Has anybody seen this documentary on the re-emergence of the PBA Tour this decade on HDNET: "A League of Ordinary Gentlemen." Looks like they filmed it in 2004. It's really good. It's airing right now.

If you happen to catch this post tonight, there are re-airings at 11 pm and 2 am.
I actually have it on DVD, but I haven't watched it yet! I have about 20 ESPN Classic PBA tournaments to get caught up on too. Yikes!

I may DVR it from HDNet. I switched over and it looks like pretty good quality.
Old 02-20-08, 10:02 PM   #43
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numes
I'm thinking about getting this thread title changed to "The Official PBA Bowling Thread" or something instead of what it is now. Do I just e-mail a mod or post it in the feedback forum?
Your wish has been granted.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 02-20-08, 10:18 PM   #44
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega
Your wish has been granted.
Thanks Vin!
Old 02-21-08, 01:03 AM   #45
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

Agreed. Scroggins is utterly boring, I had a hard time watching that match because of him.
Old 02-21-08, 01:17 AM   #46
DVD Talk Hero

Since it's a general bowling discussion as well as a PBA thread, let me just say that I fucking hate nights when I can't carry shit. I normally average a 209 and I shot 580 tonight despite missing the pocket approx 5 times all night. 3 solid-9s, about 5 10's, 4-pins, etc.

Meanwhile the douchebag with the 170 average on the other team shot 650 despite throwing junk all over the place. Fucking game.
Old 02-22-08, 08:53 PM   #47
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This weeks tournament, while not as exciting of a field as last week, it looks to be interesting. I'm not quite sure, but I don't think Norm Duke has been in a tournament in a while (I think he was hurt?).

Ryan Shafer vs. Andrew Frawley (who?) in one of the games
Walter Ray vs. Norm Duke in the other game.

I wish Duke and Walter Ray would have been in different brackets to set up a finale with them.

However... There is MAJOR bad blood between Duke/Shafer (stemming from a tournament about 6 years ago or so). Shafer has lost quite a bit against Duke on TV. I would love to see Shafer beat Duke in the final. I guarantee if they play each other, there will be some major emotions in that game.

The way things have been going this year, though, that means none of my ideal matchups will happen! The good news: NO SCROGGINS!
Old 02-22-08, 09:25 PM   #48
DVD Talk Hero

So WRWJ has to be leading the race for Player of the Year so far, yes?
Old 02-22-08, 10:03 PM   #49
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028
So WRWJ has to be leading the race for Player of the Year so far, yes?
Yep. This is the first year that the POY is solely decided on a point system, rather than the players vote. He is leading by 4 over Chris Barnes, but there are 2 majors left, which are worth more points of a normal tournament (24 for a major win, 16 for a normal tournament win):

Stats as of 2-17-08:

1 Walter Ray Williams Jr 52
2 Chris Barnes 48
3 Michael Haugen Jr 40
4 Mike Scroggins 39
5 Patrick Allen 38
6 Wes Malott 34
7 Parker Bohn III 26
7(t) Mika Koivuniemi 26
7(t) Mike Wolfe 26
10 Tommy Jones 24
10(t) Sean Rash 24
12 Rhino Page 21
13 Danny Wiseman20
14 Robert Smith 16

Last edited by Numes; 02-22-08 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-23-08, 12:49 PM   #50
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Since it's a general bowling discussion as well as a PBA thread, let me just say that I fucking hate nights when I can't carry shit. I normally average a 209 and I shot 580 tonight despite missing the pocket approx 5 times all night. 3 solid-9s, about 5 10's, 4-pins, etc.

Meanwhile the douchebag with the 170 average on the other team shot 650 despite throwing junk all over the place. Fucking game.
Just don't one of those guys that bitch and moan about the shot pattern. Or if you have legitimate complaints about it let management know and give them suggestions. There's nothing worse than those guys that just say the shot sucks, but don't give any reasons why. There isn't much the center can do about it if they don't know what's supposedly wrong with the pattern.