Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-26-07, 09:43 AM   #1
MovieExchange
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWECW, TNA & ROH 11/26 - 12/2: Jericho's back, TNA has a PPV

Welcome to what should be the last quick & dirty edition of the weekly wrestling thread. As I've probably mentioned, I'm helping a friend start up a second location for his store. The problem is that he's simply bought out an existing store and kept on the old manager, who is dragging his heels on helping... so every Monday I go out there is like starting all over again.

But that's my problem, and not yours... what's on tap for this week? Glad you asked...

Tonight on Raw:

The nature boy returns! I'm pleasantly surprised that they didn't bury this and instead use the graphic to promote Jericho. The downside of this is that Raw is in Flair's home town of Charlotte, NC, which means that Flair can expect to be humiliated in some way.

Also teased (but not confirmed) is Triple H and Jeff Hardy vs. Umaga and Snitsky. Wow, there's some random pairings.

Also pushed is more Randy Orton / Chris Jericho drama. I agree with the guys at PWInsider when they say that what really spoiled Jericho's return was Orton's complete lack of charisma. No shock, no anger, just... staring. That stupid mongoloid stare that Orton has perfected.

Tuesday on ECW:

No real matches are announced. Just more on Big Daddy V and Kane, as well as the Kelly Kelly / Layla feud. Also a "what's next for ECW's latest addition, Shelton Benjamin" blurb.

Friday on Smackdown:

Edge gets a shot at Batista's title, and you know Undertaker will get involved somehow. Also teased is more Finlay / Khali and MVP / Mysterio feuds.

TNA has their Turning Point PPV this Sunday, as we wind up a year of PPV pick 'ems. Who will be on top at the end of the year? Will I find a great system to make all this tracking easier on me, or will I be spending the Monday after WWE's Armageddon frantically making the list? Only time will tell!
Old 11-26-07, 12:39 PM   #2
GuessWho
DVD Talk Legend

confirmed: Triple H & Jeff Hardy will put their new bond to the test tonight against Umaga & Snitsky.
Old 11-26-07, 12:45 PM   #3
lotsofdvds
Suspended

Flair jobs to either a midget or a Diva.
Old 11-26-07, 03:48 PM   #4
PixyJunket
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Flair jobs to either a midget or a Diva.
I'd mark for that.

So, any guesses on how many weeks until we actually see Jericho in a match?
Old 11-26-07, 05:53 PM   #5
lotsofdvds
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'd mark for that.

Contract signing at whatever the December PPV is. Match at Royal Rumble.
Old 11-26-07, 09:14 PM   #6
dadaluholla
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Well, looks like a little after 10:00 tonight...if you count a match against Santino as an actual match.
Old 11-26-07, 09:19 PM   #7
Applejack
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jericho's new finisher sucks.

Some brokeback action with Flair and Michaels.

I'd love Flair to go on a winning streak until wrestlemania when he loses and retires (losing the belt)... but that makes too much sense.

I would have liked to see them book him against a loser like Carlito or somebody and work his way up the ranks beating better competition each time until losing, but instead they put him up against Randy Orton immediately.

I hate Randy Orton, and it isn't the good kind of hate. It's the "change the channel" hate.

Last edited by Applejack; 11-26-07 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 09:38 PM   #8
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ladies and Gentlemen, a new wrestlecrap moment right before our eyes ....
Old 11-26-07, 09:54 PM   #9
lotsofdvds
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Wow... I guess they needed to humiliate Carlito a little more...
Old 11-26-07, 10:58 PM   #10
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I'm assuming you're referring to that godawful scene with Hornswaggle and Carlito. It's shit like that that makes me embarassed to be a fan. One of the worst things I have ever seen in wrestling.

People who bring signs with their own names and an arrow pointing down should die a screaming death.

Jericho is gold, but I did hate seeing Santino getting bitched out by him AND once again, Jerry Lawler.

I know why Tully Blanchard wasn't there to make a true Horsemen reunion. Barry Windham ate him.

No shame here in saying that I marked out when Flair came out the first time. Match was pretty good, although Orton did his best to suck the life out of it. As usual, JR and Lawler were so over the top in talking about Flair getting beat.

Nice of Triple H to remind Hardy that he's turned on all of his partners. It lost something when Kennedy said the same thing about HBK a few minutes later. I wish they would've built up the Triple H/Hardy partnership for a few more weeks before putting them against each other.
Old 11-26-07, 11:09 PM   #11
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's funny is the bad backstage rap Carlito has, yet week in and week out he obviously does whatever is asked of him. The WWE even gives Randy Savage more respect by pretending he doesn't exist!

I've been thinking lately that they might be hinting at using Santino as a commentator, but probably not.

Some News about the Wrestlemania title matches:

Winner of the Royal Rumble will get title shot of his choice. The other brand will have all the top contenders compete at No Way Out in the Elimination Chamber.
Old 11-26-07, 11:30 PM   #12
JJE-187
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Winner of the Royal Rumble will get title shot of his choice. The other brand will have all the top contenders compete at No Way Out in the Elimination Chamber.
I assume they are talking about the World title and the WWE title, wow they sure are pissing on the ECW belt with that, Didn't last years winner (Undertaker) have to choose beteween the 3?
Old 11-26-07, 11:38 PM   #13
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJE-187
I assume they are talking about the World title and the WWE title, wow they sure are pissing on the ECW belt with that, Didn't last years winner (Undertaker) have to choose beteween the 3?
Yes, he chose to fight Batista for the Smackdown title, which I why I think we'll be seeing a Raw guy winning the rumble and fighting the Raw champion this year. I don't even consider ECW as a legitmate choice for the Rumble winner.
Old 11-27-07, 12:38 AM   #14
NORML54601
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

I know why Tully Blanchard wasn't there to make a true Horsemen reunion. Barry Windham ate him.
Old 11-27-07, 01:19 AM   #15
MovieExchange
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
What's funny is the bad backstage rap Carlito has, yet week in and week out he obviously does whatever is asked of him. The WWE even gives Randy Savage more respect by pretending he doesn't exist!
I believe the problem with Carlito is that while he does what is asked of him, that's all he does. He does it half-assed, not to the best of his ability. He reportedly believes he should be given a top spot and then start working his ass off, instead of busting ass to prove he deserves a top spot.

I think he also ruffled a lot of feathers with his Wrestlemania comment when he said that the Divas had a match but he and Flair didn't. He probably pissed off the company for saying it, and quite likely pissed off the wrestlers for even mentioning himself in the same breath as Flair.
Old 11-27-07, 01:44 AM   #16
Rypro 525
DVD Talk Hero

Guess this friday it's gonna be time for everyone to "Man Up"
Quote:
You will never see anything like the Ladder War at ROH "Man Up" again.

ROH "Man Up" will debut on pay-per-view this Friday, November 30th, on iN DEMAND, The DISH Network and TVN cable systems. Check your local listings for time, channel and the affordable price. The talk of the wrestling world on December 1st will be the first and only Ladder War for the ROH World Tag Team Titles pitting The Briscoes vs. Steen & Generico.

The Ladder War is so innovative, so dangerous, so death-defying and so incredible that ROH officials have decided to ban this type of match. The thoughts among ROH officials is that any athlete competing in another Ladder War would have to take too many extreme risks in order to try to top the "Man Up" one.

"It is a spectacular match," ROH President Cary Silkin said. "There is just no way the "Man Up" Ladder War can be topped and it would be too dangerous to put anyone in a position where they would have to top it. The Ladder War is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of match."

Watch the debut of "Man Up" from Chicago, IL on November 30th on iN DEMAND, The DISH Network and TVN cable systems to see a loaded show of athletic matches. This is wrestling that won't insult your intelligence. Pro wrestling as a sport is back. Forget about silly backstage "comedy" skits and endless promos, this is where the action is. Here is a quick look at this Friday's pay-per-view card:

Main Event #1 - ROH World Tag Team Title Ladder War
Jay & Mark Briscoe defend vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico

The Skinny: This is the final bout in what many call ROH's feud of the year. You just need to witness this one for yourself.

Main Event #2 - ROH World Title Match
Takeshi Morishima defends vs. Bryan Danielson

The Skinny: ROH's hottest new rivalry sees Danielson try to regain the ROH World Title. This is the rematch of the "Manhattan Mayhem II" match of the year candidate.

Single Series
Austin Aries, Erick Stevens & Matt Cross compete in singles matches vs. Roderick Strong, Rocky Romero & Davey Richards

The Skinny: You will see these two factions split up into singles competition for a best of three match series. You are guaranteed good, athletic, hard professional wrestling when these six mix it up.

Four Corner Survival
Naomichi Marufuji vs. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Nigel McGuinness vs. Chris Hero

The Skinny: This is a showcase of what ROH does best- take the greatest talent in the world and cut them loose to see who is the best. Japan, Switzerland, England and the United States are all represented in the first ever ROH signature Four Corner Survival on PPV.

Plus more with: Larry Sweeney, Sara Del Rey, Tank Toland & Bobby Dempsey; Delirious; Brent Albright; Adam Pearce with Shane Hagadorn; BJ Whitmer and others!!!

ROH "Man Up" will give you the most bang for your PPV dollar. Check your local listings and make sure to catch the debut of "Man Up" this Friday, November 30th, to see the Ladder War everyone will be talking about.

If this is anything like the boston street fight shown (and they only showed the end, this match will be insane. Also like that they showed the title match between Brent Albright (some of you may remeber him as Gunnar Scott in WWE) and Morishima. Excellent match (again they only showed the end), and it made Albright look like a million bucks and he could be a future main eventer imo if booked right. Also, you can see me marking out like a little girl in the blue shirt.
Old 11-27-07, 03:39 AM   #17
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I believe the problem with Carlito is that while he does what is asked of him, that's all he does. He does it half-assed, not to the best of his ability. He reportedly believes he should be given a top spot and then start working his ass off, instead of busting ass to prove he deserves a top spot.

I think he also ruffled a lot of feathers with his Wrestlemania comment when he said that the Divas had a match but he and Flair didn't. He probably pissed off the company for saying it, and quite likely pissed off the wrestlers for even mentioning himself in the same breath as Flair.
I hope he half-assed that run into the wall.
Old 11-27-07, 04:05 AM   #18
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After they went off the air, Orton accepted Jericho's offer to fight on the next PPV.
Old 11-27-07, 08:56 AM   #19
PixyJunket
DVD Talk Legend

Raw has been really good for the last month or so, at least every episode since that painfully awful DX & Stone Cold episode. I'm excited about the HBK/Kennedy feud but I'm afraid that HBK is going to bury him after losing for the last couple of months to Orton. Here's hoping Kennedy makes the best out of the situation, his rant last night on his DVD set sounded creepily like one of my HBK rants. I'm surprised they let him get away with the "politicking" comment, especially.
Old 11-27-07, 07:19 PM   #20
lastofthewild1s

I thought some here might find this funny as I did. Someone had some fun over at Youtube with Tom Zenk and Brian Pillman pictures. You'll just have to see it. I thought it was funny as hell.

Pillman / Zenk: Ringrat Hunters
Old 11-28-07, 02:09 AM   #21
Rypro 525
DVD Talk Hero

anyone remeber watching this live?

Since this was in baltimore, i almost attended this. Funny how they kept pimping "End of Days"

also, this was on the wrestlinggonewrong site, that aired last night on ECW
http://wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/...ils_elbow.html

Last edited by Rypro 525; 11-28-07 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-28-07, 08:16 AM   #22
Qui Gon Jim
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Booker T had a Spike TV press conference today. He said the straw that broke the camel's back as far as leaving WWE was his suspension. He said he had no idea why his name would be on such a list (Signature Pharmacy) as he never ordered anything from them, and has never even ordered anything with a credit card online. He claimed he thought WWE needed a big name scapegoat at the time and when they didn't protect him, he knew it was time to go.
Fuck you, Booker. You are a damn liar. Have fun in TNA, where a medical history is of no concern because they aren't a blip on the radar like WWE is. Even if one of their stars dies, it will be roundly ignored, unless they worked for WWE at some point, and then that will be all that is mentioned.

I have no doubt that Booker was on the juice. Be a man and own up to it.

Edited to add: Does WWE have legal recourse against this shit wad if there's concrete proof he's not telling the truth?
Old 11-28-07, 10:26 AM   #23
cerial442
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
He mentioned Flair because they were suppose to have a match at Wrestlemania but creative didn't get the ball rolling on the storyline in time. Flair was supposedly upset at that match not happening as well.

My DVD's
Old 11-28-07, 11:54 AM   #24
MovieExchange
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial442
He mentioned Flair because they were suppose to have a match at Wrestlemania but creative didn't get the ball rolling on the storyline in time. Flair was supposedly upset at that match not happening as well.
Yeah, I understand that, and creative was wrong for not getting their asses in gear. However, based on how the boys in the back tend to view things, Carlito probably made a huge faux-pas when he included himself in his rant instead of just saying that Flair wasn't involved in Wrestlemania.
Old 11-28-07, 03:58 PM   #25
Rogue588
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
IIRC, in addition to the Divas, he also mentioned the Kane/Khali match.

Since I agree with Carlito, I don't really have a problem with him mentioning himself (he was involved with Flair), but I could see where someone like JBL might have a problem backstage (particularly with the namechecking of matches he thinks shouldn't be on the bill).

| owned | desired | ditchin' | listen Wednesday 10p |
Sponsored Links