DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-06-07, 07:12 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Is It Just Me, Or Has ESPN Been Going Down Hill?

ESPN is becoming unwatchable. Sportscenter is an abortion of what it use to be, most of their 'filler' programs blow, and the only decent shows left are hit and miss at best (Around The Horn, PTI, BB2N) At least ESPN2 has Mike & Mike in the morning, but all and all...ESPN has really gone down hill.

Oh...and stephen a smith has ruined all things NBA (not that it didn't suck already). The 'smart' anchors left (Keith, Dan, etc) and the replacements are just fucking one line chumps....trying to be the next Chris Berman/Stuart Scott, without adding any real value to the telecast.

Do I ever need to bring up the "Who's NOW" debacle?

Poker on ESPN......okay for 'off hour' entertainment, but it is looped a bit too much.

I still watch BB2N pretty much every night, but that doesn't mean it is quality....a bit too inconsistant for my taste, but they do the best job covering all of the games....since watching SC is usually painful.

What do you think about ESPN now, compared to say.....5-10 years ago?

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 05-01-15 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-06-07, 07:17 PM   #2
Premium Member

It's just you. Nobody here has ever mentioned that before.

I've never heard it put quite this way, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedagogue
Sportscenter is an abortion of what it use to be,
Old 08-06-07, 07:25 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

...the truth hurts!!

Seriously..before it was about actual sports, now it is about catchphrases and being "cool". Fuck that. Give me my fucking sports, and don't fuck it up with too much talking or lame "theme/niche" shows.

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 05-01-15 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-06-07, 07:40 PM   #4
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only "programming" I regularly watch are the NFL shows, Countdown, Primetime(or whatever it's called now), Monday night, etc.

I'll watch a few minutes of Sportscenter if nothing is on. But, I try to stay away from it. I try to catch the end, for the top 10's. I don't follow the NBA, and during that season, that seems to be most of their highlights. There could be 5 hockey games and 10+ NBA games, and they'll show highlights from every NBA game and 2 NHL games.
Old 08-06-07, 07:54 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

You can't go downhill from rock bottom.

The largest problem, IMO, is using their news show to do everything BUT give you the sports news. They crossed the line of reporting the news to making the news a long time ago. Additionally, SportsCenter is too often a vehicle used to promote not only their own programming, but other entertainment that falls under the Disney/ABC umbrella as well.
Old 08-06-07, 08:12 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
You can't go downhill from rock bottom.

The largest problem, IMO, is using their news show to do everything BUT give you the sports news. They crossed the line of reporting the news to making the news a long time ago. Additionally, SportsCenter is too often a vehicle used to promote not only their own programming, but other entertainment that falls under the Disney/ABC umbrella as well.
I totally agree.

I want my f'ing sports scores, not some lame 'promotion' or feed into another lame show.

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 05-01-15 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-06-07, 08:27 PM   #7

I think the sportscasters they have on ESPN news are better than anything on the 2 main stations. I watch Around the Horn, PTI and college gameday, but they all focus more on making outrageous comments rather than seriously covering what's going on. Sportscenter has become so bad that I just check scores online.

The worst thing is that the ESPN broadcast style has worn off on local broadcasters. Matt Vasgergian does all the Padres games and is clearly doing his best to prove he can hack it up as well as the ESPN scrubs.
Old 08-06-07, 08:47 PM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are still some shows that I really enjoy - Mike & Mike, PTI, Baseball Tonight. And I really haven't found much better TV than anything NFL with Berman and Tom Jackson.
Old 08-06-07, 08:55 PM   #9
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
....trying to be the next Chris Berman/Stuart Scott, without adding any real value to the telecast.

-p
Are you saying Berman and Scott add value?

Yes, ESPN has gone downhill. For the most part, I like their Nascar coverage except for the Aerosmith song they play before the race.

Other than that I only watch the ball games and not all the other programs. I used to watch ATH and PTI but not really anymore.

It really went downhill when they started focusing more on the entertainment side of sports, like TO, and less on the games and highlights.

And it took me forever to figure out what BB2N was. They should bring back NHL Tonight.
Old 08-06-07, 09:05 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Keys
Are you saying Berman and Scott add value?
I didn't particular love them, but they were better than who they use now. I think SS still guest hosts sometimes? I don't watch SC much anymore. As for NHL Tonight...yeah, I miss that too.

I liked all of the originals, and some of the newer guys. I prefer more straight forward guys who add something (informational, breakdown, inside info), but now they seem to focus on Flash and Catchphrases.

I think one reason I read a bunch of blogs religiously is that they have the best breaking news, without all of the bullshit. They are entertaining, but in a more intelligent way (okay...and with some sophmoric humor): With Leather, The Ladies...., MLB Rumors, Deadspin, KSK, The Postmen, etc.

-p
Old 08-06-07, 09:15 PM   #11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yep, going downhill, but still better then the rest IMO. I love me some baseball tonight, or nfl primetime, pti, etc.. game coverage is usually pretty solid. I just don't watch that other stuff.
take control
Old 08-06-07, 09:16 PM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

....minus all of the LAME cut aways for stupid shit like Bonds. Is there really a problem with delaying 10 seconds to say, "Bonds hit his XXX" and then show it?

-p
Old 08-06-07, 10:16 PM   #13
Premium Member

Quote:
....minus all of the LAME cut aways for stupid shit like Bonds. Is there really a problem with delaying 10 seconds to say, "Bonds hit his XXX" and then show it?

-p
I agree with you in concept, but these days they are just cutting away from crap to show actual action, so I don't have a problem with it for the most part.

Give me some Dodgeball on the Ocho already!
Old 08-06-07, 10:51 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Why does Michelle Bonner always wear white? It's black that is slimming. Black.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 08-06-07, 11:59 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by db27
game coverage is usually pretty solid. .
Old 08-07-07, 12:45 AM   #16
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually blame PTI for a lot of it. After that show became popular, EVERY show on ESPN suddenly became more about delivering opinions than covering a story. Nowadays ESPN is not much more than "sports radio" on television.

Their game coverage is becoming unbearable as well, MNF being the most glaring example.
Old 08-07-07, 01:13 AM   #17
Suspended

ESPN.com didn't even have Realtime for it's Insider members. We don't pay for nothing, or I suppose we do when they don't feel like providing the services that we're entitled to receive. I sent them a very belligerent email. Lots of vulgarities and threats.

Next time I tried it I went right through to be able to watch NYY/TOR on realtime. Might have been a coincidence. No response to my email.

E
Old 08-07-07, 03:27 AM   #18
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldnt really say ESPN is going down hill

I would say Sportscenter is going down hill and down hill fast...and that is probably having a network wide effect since its the flagship of the empire.

Theres still a lot of good stuff. Mike and Mike in the Morning. PTI (when Tony and Mike are actually there) I live and breathe Baseball Tonight. I maybe exaggerating a bit since its the middle of the part of the year where theres nothing but baseball on, but in my opinion Baseball Tonight is the best sports related show Ive ever watched. I used to watch Sportscenter but its just unwatchable these days. I dont know, it used to be cool, but now it seems like they are trying way too hard to be cool...and in tv, just like high school and most every facet of life, trying too hard to be cool makes you really uncool.

Still though, ESPN as a whole dwarfs Fox Sports Net or local sports, especially here in Vegas where there really isnt a local sport to cover that matters.
Old 08-07-07, 07:43 AM   #19
DVD Talk God

I stopped watching SC religiously in the late 90s. I don't even visit espn.com anymore - terrible website.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 08-07-07, 08:41 AM   #20
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I stopped watching SC religiously in the late 90s. I don't even visit espn.com anymore - terrible website.
I can't stand their website either. The only shows I watch on ESPN are OTL and Sports Reporters and if they have a game on that I want to see.

Of course I check for scores from time to time but I will also check ESPN News as well.
Old 08-07-07, 09:00 AM   #21
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd be lying if I said I watch ESPN that much these days, so I can't say for sure. I used to watch Sportscenter on a daily basis back in the mid to late 90's.

What I do hate is ESPN's coverage of the NBA. That along with ABC's handling of the league is awful compared to NBC's coverage in the 90's.

But ESPN does look pretty in HD. I'll give them that much.
Old 08-07-07, 09:02 AM   #22
DVD Talk Limited Edition

who thought it was a good idea to bring stephen a. smith into things other than basketball?? as if that wasn't enough...
Old 08-07-07, 09:03 AM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

I like going to sports websites to get updates of the games, but found sportsline.com to be a lot better for what I was looking for. ESPN.com still has some content I like (I'm generally looking at specific writers), but it's actual game coverage I found subpar.

TV wise, I hate what has happened to Sportscenter. I hate how they 10,000 shows discussing the ins and outs of the NFL. Like last year everyone discussing how awesome Tony Romo was. Until Romo began to suck and they went clucking about something else. There's just so much BS and filler in there. I mean they have some good people employed. Ron Jaworksi is a great NFL analyst. But too often I get Sean Salisbury clucking about whatever's hot at the moment. And I kinda miss those random shows like World's Strongest man and what not. ESPN used to have some oddball programming, but now most of it seems to have migrated to Versus.

If I want real analysis of sports, I like to go to FootballOutsiders, or for baseball I like BaseballProspectus and Hardballtimes. If I want highlights, I wil use ESPNews. If I want a boxscore, I usually use CBSsportsline.
Old 08-07-07, 09:27 AM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Sportscenter blows. Good luck finding a highlight you want to see. They say such and such a highlight is going to be next. But it's really on 45 min later.
Old 08-07-07, 09:28 AM   #25
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's awful.

I watch it exclusively for games, now (and the college football show). Watching Sportscenter doesn't even give me the damn sports news.